Quote Originally Posted by Explicit Teemo Nudes View Post
    If you're not climbing it's not because of team mates, it's because of yourself :P
    wanna see how you can carry 4vs6

Quote Originally Posted by rarhyx View Post
    Depends on your actual skill lvl vs where you are playing?

When you're a low diamond player carrying a plat or actual diamond game is obviously going to be very challenging, but if you are a Masters or higher player you're going to easily carry even if you had 4 complete potatoes, there's a reason boosters are a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Woobels View Post
    Depends on your actual skill lvl vs where you are playing?

When you're a low diamond player carrying a plat or actual diamond game is obviously going to be very challenging, but if you are a Masters or higher player you're going to easily carry even if you had 4 complete potatoes, there's a reason boosters are a thing.
    Out of curiosity, because I've never seen someone do this, what characters are usually picked in that case?

I imagine things like Tracer and Genji?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatsOurEric View Post
    Yeah, not surprisingly, it didn't happen. There's no way to hit Plat now. This
    game just fucks me over way too much.

Two seasons of being unable to advance because of dogshit teammates.

No wonder people become toxic. When you're mostly dealt a shitty hand,
    its hard to not immediately assume the hand you're dealt with is a shitty
    one when it occurs so frequently.
    There was a time when I was being placed in Silver.

Now I'm in Platinum consistently.

Why? I got better, and kept playing, and my rank reflected my improved performance over time.

The ranking system is not a progression system. You aren't meant to "climb ranks", at all. The majority of players will not. It's meant to put you at a rank appropriate to your performance, so that when it matches you with other players at that rank, you get relatively competitive matches rather than curbstombs that are weighted one way or the other, outside of the obvious "someone's throwing/left" stuff.

If you're in Gold and play constantly and can't climb out of Gold, it's almost certainly because you should be in Gold.

Track your SR gains for wins, and losses. You've got four potential explanations;

1> If you're gaining about the same for each, at your rank, you're where you should be.

2> If you're gaining way more for wins than losses, but have a 25% win rate, figure out why, because it's not "other players". That'd affect your opponents slightly more than it would affect you, since we can assume you're one player out of your 6 who's actually trying, leaving your team 5/6 chances to draw terrible players, and your opponents 6/6 chances.

3> If you're gaining way more than you lose, and you have a 50% win ratio, play more. You're not climbing in ranks because you're not playing in Competitive, and really, this is silly.

4> If your SR gains and losses are all over the place, you're not playing consistently, and need to figure out why. Track it, figure out which heroes you don't perform well with, and avoid playing them.

Those are your four possible answers to why you're not climbing. I'm excluding "your SR losses are way higher than your gains", because that means you're over-ranked and shouldn't be as high as you are, which is a completely different issue.

Shitty players throwing matches or leaving sucks. But if we assume you're not doing that yourself, then your team has less of a chance of that happening than your opponents, and this should actually be a (very small) net positive, over time. In terms of SR gains, not match quality.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, finished for the season now. Place initially at 2k (managed to trash my SR right at the end of last season), and having been as low as 1750 after a 20 match loss streak this time around, I finally finished up 2318. Sets me up nicely I think for next season hopefully to push on to Plat. I don't think I'll get any further than low Plat, I know high Plat/Diamond players are just way better than me, I see it in FFA and QP all the time. I do know though from having been 2400 last season I can push on a little from there. Hopefully I can get a good placement!

I'm also on 2600CP so think I get a new Golden Gun either tomorrow, or very early in the new season. They said they were reducing the end-of-season awards, but not seen it actually spelt out anywhere. I love Ana's, but I'm not getting to play her because she sucks basically, and in terms of play time I think Orisa is a bit more deserving, but it's kinda lame. Alternately, Pharah or Mercy are candidates. Probably Ana, it is pretty and I'm sure she'll come good.

Looking at my win rate, I'm 4 wins shy of 50-50, so 2400 is realistic assuming I play and win on Widow, D.Va, or Orisa; would need a little more effort on Zen or Mercy but wins are wins.
    Last edited by Jessicka; 2017-10-28 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Out of curiosity, because I've never seen someone do this, what characters are usually picked in that case?

I imagine things like Tracer and Genji?
    Tracer, Widowmaker, Genji or S76 are the most common, I've seen Mercy boosting too lol.

It's obviously illegal and pretty bad for the game though because it throws higher elo games even more out of wack, but it happens.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Woobels View Post
    Tracer, Widowmaker, Genji or S76 are the most common, I've seen Mercy boosting too lol.

It's obviously illegal and pretty bad for the game though because it throws higher elo games even more out of wack, but it happens.
    In Gold, beware low level McCrees in 3 stacks, they're 9 times out of 10 a booster. They carry, and they carry hard.

What exactly is the point of boosting? Getting slightly more Comp points at the end of the season? Getting a higher rating that you'll quickly lose as soon as you're on your own?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    What exactly is the point of boosting? Getting slightly more Comp points at the end of the season? Getting a higher rating that you'll quickly lose as soon as you're on your own?
    Padding your ego by having the game tell you you're better than you really are. People get boosted into Plat or Diamond and then complain that they lose constantly and lose rank. That's because you're a Silver player, dude.

10+ Year Old Account
    Same reason people pay for boosting in WoW arena or in raids. So they can pretend they’re better than they are. Same as any other cheat.

Rewards, pretending they are good or they're disillusioned and think they can hang in tiers much higher than their actual level, it's very bad for the game but it happens a ton, in games like LoL it's actually super lucrative, in some cases you'd make far more money boosting than by going pro.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently somewhere whipping Portuguese prisoners
    If you're not climbing it's not because of team mates, it's because of yourself :P
    That highly depends on where you're at. The lower you are, the more likely that teammates will drag you down.

A friend of mine who is Masters (https://i.imgur.com/LlDQYTf.png) went down with me and compared to there people are just outright braindead and less willing to cooperate in his opinion.

And accuracy is just one small part of the problem, it's sheer bad positioning, lack of awareness, game sense and counterplay that makes gold and below a cesspool and hard to climb out of.

This quickplay matchmaking really fucking sucks. I get queued against people who have been up at and beyond 3500 rating last season, some of them even at 4000. Wtf is this quickplay matchmaking?

Quote Originally Posted by DrMcNinja View Post
    That highly depends on where you're at. The lower you are, the more likely that teammates will drag you down.

A friend of mine who is Masters (https://i.imgur.com/LlDQYTf.png) went down with me and compared to there people are just outright braindead and less willing to cooperate in his opinion.

And accuracy is just one small part of the problem, it's sheer bad positioning, lack of awareness, game sense and counterplay that makes gold and below a cesspool and hard to climb out of.
    agreed. some would argue that it's easier since the enemy team will experience the same, but that's not really the case. the lower you go, the harder it is to carry. and carrying is not really the rule, it is a team game after all.

a gold will have harder time getting out of bronze than a GM in diamond will; the lower you go, the harder it is to rank up. unless you are masters/GM skilled to begin with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    This quickplay matchmaking really fucking sucks. I get queued against people who have been up at and beyond 3500 rating last season, some of them even at 4000. Wtf is this quickplay matchmaking?
    It doesn’t exist basically. I was with some friends who don’t even play comp in a four stack on Saturday, obviously that meant we were to be matched against a full 6 player premade of diamonds and masters. Last night I was the only Gold in matches full, again of Diamonds. I don’t know how anybody puts up with it.

I see so many people in this thread saying how terrible their team mates are and that they deserve to be ranked higher than they are - and that they are playing in silver and gold and such.
    Yet here I am, playing in plat and almost was placed in diamond this season - and I SUCK. I think my awareness is good, but I suck at aiming. I'm ready to fill whatever role is needed, but I prefer playing support and I mostly get to play support.

Am I place higher than I should be because I play support?
    Well then there's your answer: you people "stuck in elo hell" should just pick support and either get placed in your "right" rank after placement matches or get carried there afterwards. Then when you are there you can start playing your "right" role.

Is it because I'm season after season is lucky being carried, while you're unlucky having to carry season after season?
    I call bullshit. But whatever makes you feel better about yourself.

Edit: I don't remember my rank in the first season, the second season I didn't even do my placements, in third I was placed in silver and then climbed to plat and I have been in plat ever since.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DrMcNinja View Post

If you're so good, how did you end up there from the start?
    Last edited by Explicit Teemo Nudes; 2017-10-30 at 10:45 AM.

snip
    tbh, I'm not sure why you quoted me

tbh, I'm not sure why you quoted me
    I was explaining how I look at this whole thing. I never said anything about carrying 4v6.
    So I'm not sure you're sure why you even quoted me, but I guess you couldn't contain the salt.

I was explaining how I look at this whole thing. I never said anything about carrying 4v6.
    So I'm not sure you're sure why you even quoted me, but I guess you couldn't contain the salt.
    I lost track who quoted who xD
    But people always have to say sth about being salty

you said "if you're not climbing, it's your own fault"
    I meant how is it my fault when I have two leavers in my game(s). I don't say it's impossible to win but most of the time you lose because you have not enough heal, dps or a tank. this season I had more leaver in my team than before.
    usually I'm at mid gold but this time I couldn't climb out of silver because of mates and it didn't matter if I was tank, heal or dps. tried everything.
    what can I do when my mates chase a low hp enemy instead going to point/payload in overtime when I'm not there or if I'm at point alone I get a(or two) headshots and get killed when no one is there

I also suck at aiming that's why I'm either heal or tank most of the time(or junkrat if dps) but with braindead mates I'm limited to what I can do

I lost track who quoted who xD
    But people always have to say sth about being salty

you said "if you're not climbing, it's your own fault"
    I meant how is it my fault when I have two leavers in my game(s). I don't say it's impossible to win but most of the time you lose because you have not enough heal, dps or a tank. this season I had more leaver in my team than before.
    usually I'm at mid gold but this time I couldn't climb out of silver because of mates and it didn't matter if I was tank, heal or dps. tried everything.
    what can I do when my mates chase a low hp enemy instead going to point/payload in overtime when I'm not there or if I'm at point alone I get a(or two) headshots and get killed when no one is there

I also suck at aiming that's why I'm either heal or tank most of the time(or junkrat if dps) but with braindead mates I'm limited to what I can do

I also have people leaving my games. Both during placement matches and later in comp. Everyone has people leaving their games. Everyone has games where 4 out of 6 are support mains, bad dps or whatever.
    Yes, the higher rank you get the less leavers you'll encounter, but your skills got you there in the first place.
    Everyone has leavers, everyone has lucky and unlucky streaks when it comes to having good and bad team comps - but in the end it all evens out, and in the end it is your own performance that matters.