Poll: Should they ?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Rated PvP should never have been included. Even the developers called it a mistake.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    You mean so unemployed people with the most time become "the best"??
    I seriously doubt he means the early-vanilla system.

Deleted
    Pre 2016 "We want everyone to be on equal footing so that skills matters again"
    Post 2016 "We want to severely outgear our opponent and bruteforce them, even though we're vastly worse than them"

Never change pvp scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Rated PvP should never have been included. Even the developers called it a mistake.
    No they didnt the often cited quote that people love to point to is way out of context, "how it was implemented was the mistake" not arena it self.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theprejudice View Post
    Pre 2016 "We want everyone to be on equal footing so that skills matters again"
    Post 2016 "We want to severely outgear our opponent and bruteforce them, even though we're vastly worse than them"

Never change pvp scene.
    Nobody expected them to lessen the effect of gear and dumb down the game at the same time. Two contradictory changes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    Nobody expected them to lessen the effect of gear and dumb down the game at the same time. Two contradictory changes.
    How did people not expect lessened effect of gear when that's literally what they asked for? Nothing dumbed down the game at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    How did people not expect lessened effect of gear when that's literally what they asked for? Nothing dumbed down the game at all.
    "Nobody expected them to lessen the effect of gear and dumb down the game at the same time."

Reading comprehension.

Nothing dumbed down the game at all.
    Pruning obliterated the skill ceiling.

They lessened the effect of gear and lessened the effect of skill in the same expansion. I don't think they would do that intentionally which probably means they didn't nerf gear in PvP to make skill more valuable, they did it so casuals wouldn't get their teeth kicked in.

Given the huge $$$ involed with Esports - pruning rated pvp from WOW is the dumbest thing they could do. Should they change the overall dynamics of rated pvp including the matchmaking, absolutely. The problem isn't "rated" pvp. The problem bad matchmaking, terrible rewards, non-existent class balance, not enough utility and team death match pvp instead of objective based pvp. The end game of wow pvp needs to be completely overhauled and changed, otherwise even more players will exit and embrace Mobas.

I voted 'yes' but instead of outright removing it I think they should create new game modes. Current arenas were stanky and outdated from day 1; MMO PvP should be objective based, not kill based. Even something as simple as '5v5, there's a control point, short respawn times. Whoever controls it for 30 seconds wins the match' will be much better than current endless pillar races after healers.

Some people asked for that. Others (like myself) recognized what would happen if they did that.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd like it if they added others ways to play rated.

I don't like arena, never have never will - it's just not fun.

Rated BGs can be quite fun but the people you end up playing with are dicks alot of the time(unless you have a guild for it which I don't).

7+ Year Old Account
    The only type of PvP I've ever been interested in is 2v2 in BC\s5-s6 and 3v3 s7-s10.
    In what way deleting core features of the game is evolution? People like you are ones responsible for PvP and game in general being horrible unplayable garbage.
    retired raiding shadow priest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    WoW will never die. They will be back up to 12m+ subs when legion hits, and wont fall below 10m for the duration of the expansion. You can mark my words on that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimewave View Post
    The only type of PvP I've ever been interested in is 2v2 in BC\s5-s6 and 3v3 s7-s10.
    In what way deleting core features of the game is evolution? People like you are ones responsible for PvP and game in general being horrible unplayable garbage.
    like me you mean ? well rated is not a core feature of the game, it was added in tbc and nothing proves that it is the way that the game was supposed to take; the core is player vs player confrontation and battle in group or not, rated is just a system trying to achieve something

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Rob Pardo said that referring to the rollout of pvp and their inability to balance talents between PvE and PvP. He also no longer works at blizzard and that comment was made over 10 years ago.

Just wanted to add some context.

Quote Originally Posted by Riistov View Post
    Rob Pardo said that referring to the rollout of pvp and their inability to balance talents between PvE and PvP. He also no longer works at blizzard and that comment was made over 10 years ago.

Just wanted to add some context.
    Doesn't make it any less true.

> Game is called "World of Warcraft" and poses itself as a massive multiplayer WORLD for players to do things in

> Invents a system where you get best rewards in the game for cheesing around pillars in a tiny area not at all relevant or connected to said world in any way

???

Like I get it, the idea was to balance PvP around that; But it never worked. And it never will work. It's best they stop pretending otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Saberstrike View Post
    Like I get it, the idea was to balance PvP around that; But it never worked. And it never will work. It's best they stop pretending otherwise.
    You do realise that things have changed since that comment 10 years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Corroc View Post
    You do realise that things have changed since that comment 10 years ago?
    Like how Legion brought RNG ability to get best gear in the game by doing nothing, exposing Arenas for the sh*tfest that it was that nobody wants to play now that they don't have to? That's just proof positive to the statement. It may be old but it's still true. MMOs aren't meant to be competitive on the same level as e-sports. WoW is just proof positive that if you push e-sports into your MMO you just end up with bad e-sports in an mmo that's worse-off because of e-sport centric changes.
    Last edited by Saberstrike; 2017-11-01 at 02:36 AM.

Like how Legion brought RNG ability to get best gear in the game by doing nothing, exposing Arenas for the sh*tfest that it was that nobody wants to play now that they don't have to? That's just proof positive to the statement. It may be old but it's still true. MMOs aren't meant to be competitive, trying to make them just results in bad competition AND bad mmo.
    Pvp is just a small part of the game that has no effect in pve nowdays. So I really dont understand half of your pointless rant. Do you even play this game?

That's your opinion, and you're welcome to have it. I have a friends list of people who think otherwise that I've built after years of doing primarily pvp. If you don't like arena, don't do it, but there's plenty of us who enjoy it, watch it, and pay our subs to play it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Corroc View Post
    Pvp is just a small part of the game that has no effect in pve nowdays. So I really dont understand half of your pointless rant. Do you even play this game?
    I'm thinking its just someone with an axe to grind against arena for some reason. I don't get it either, if you don't like it, don't do it.

if anything they should get rid of unrated pvp; you can still have brawls and so on, just plug everyone into the same MMR system all the time. That would produce better games for everyone