Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wish they would, I mean if Bioware can pull it off why cant they?

I think they should, but it shouldn't go anywhere past 80.

58-80 is the biggest problem for me and many others, based on all the posts I have seen about this. 1-60 isnt that bad, 80+ is also okay. 58-80 is just fucking torture. Outland and Northrend are the oldest areas in the game. Absolutely awful experience when compared to everything else.

Herald of the Titans SoulSoBreezy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Narrative narrative narrative. If there's no reason to go back to those old zones, it wouldn't be very compelling to go back because things are harder to kill, is it?
    I'm for what they do now, to use scaling where it makes sense, so that max level characters have more spots to go while lowbies get to see and maybe participate in whatever's going on there.
    Blanketing the world with level scaling tech without any thought behind it is a disservice to a really cool system.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulSoBreezy View Post
    Narrative narrative narrative. If there's no reason to go back to those old zones, it wouldn't be very compelling to go back because things are harder to kill, is it?
    I'm for what they do now, to use scaling where it makes sense, so that max level characters have more spots to go while lowbies get to see and maybe participate in whatever's going on there.
    Blanketing the world with level scaling tech without any thought behind it is a disservice to a really cool system.

Fair enough. Im just arguing from a position that a certain section of leveling is just ass garbage right now. Imo scaling just seems like the only real way to fix it. The only other thing would be to revamp outland and northrend, which I honestly do not see them doing.

Would love scaling everywhere personally, but there's enough concern from other people that I think making it a toggle would make it accommodating for everyone. (Perhaps like we toggle difficulty for dungeons/raids, we toggle world as well.)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrent View Post
    No, but old zones could have a rotating set of World Quests, similar to an invasion, but maybe on a weekly/3-4 rotating level?
    ya old zones with world quests, could be a neat idea. gives people a chance to travel around zones they may not have been to in such a long time.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I find it interesting how many people detest the idea of zone level scaling in WoW, and yet are fine with it in games like Everquest 2, Guild Wars 2, Rift and Starwars: The Old Republic.. Although those games scale you down to match the zone level, maybe they should do what they do with Timewalking in how you are scaled down to the level of the dungeon.. But I suppose even if they did that people would still bitch and moan that they can't one shot mobs anymore..

TL: DR "You say you wan't challenge but you really don't.."
    Last edited by grexly75; 2017-10-31 at 04:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SethRoguen View Post
    I think they should, but it shouldn't go anywhere past 80.

58-80 is the biggest problem for me and many others, based on all the posts I have seen about this. 1-60 isnt that bad, 80+ is also okay. 58-80 is just fucking torture. Outland and Northrend are the oldest areas in the game. Absolutely awful experience when compared to everything else.
    An excellent example of all those people who claim the Cata revamp 'ruined' the old zones and they want them back. 58-80 is exactly what 1-60 used to be.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syce View Post
    ya old zones with world quests, could be a neat idea. gives people a chance to travel around zones they may not have been to in such a long time.
    Unfortunately I doubt they would as from reading some of the posts in this thread, that they detest any zone/level scaling of any sort in the old areas.. And putting new things they could do in the areas would not change their mind..

They can scale leveling by 10 levels up and down from creature or zones default / minimal level.

That fixes the killer of Kil'jaeden taken down by a Durotar boar thing.

I really hope not. If for some reason they do try to alter mob scaling cap it at the expansions level cap or something.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by grexly75 View Post
    Unfortunately I doubt they would as from reading some of the posts in this thread, that they detest any zone/level scaling of any sort in the old areas.. And putting new things they could do in the areas would not change their mind..
    There would just be some awful scaling issues all over the place if all zones went to max level. Those areas were made to be dealt with in ways that are no longer in the game in some cases. Doing this also make leveling for people that want to level as healers way harder then it needs to be.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

I don't think so.
    I think it is a lot of time investment for too little return.

7+ Year Old Account
    Nope, any form of scaling tends to lead to horrible experience. Look at Legions leveling prior to afk-wq leaching\invasions, it was fucking nightmarish.
    It was a failed experiment but sadly, Blizzard seems to be in love with their bloated and formless systems.
    retired raiding shadow priest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    WoW will never die. They will be back up to 12m+ subs when legion hits, and wont fall below 10m for the duration of the expansion. You can mark my words on that.

The old world should probably scale up to the last expansion. Like, if you're level 120, and you hit a level 110 bear, it dies. I'd be fine with everything between 1-110 leveling with me. As long as I get to out-level it in the new expansion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    I think the way I would do it is just have like ~3 tiers of mob difficulty across every zone. So basically everything is scaled to 110 (or whatever max level is), but all basic animals - like boars would be a tier 1 mob that might have 1 ability, but generally wouldn't give you much trouble.

Then maybe a tier 2 mob would be a bandit or Hogger. Basically a MoP rare where it has a kit that can be somewhat dangerous, but overall not too much trouble either.

Then 3 tier which would be harder and would be preferable with a group. A dragon in burning steppes or a "named" mob for a quest.

On top of those would be your standard group elite/World boss/etc.

I don't think a wolf should ever be super challenging. Whether it's in Elwynn Forest or Argus.
    That's an excellent suggestion!
    Not only it will remove the "Champion of Azeroth getting killed by next xpac bunny", but also allow you to visually tell if a mobs will be easy or hard to fight. Currently on the broken islands, some visually impressive mobs (like the big demons in Azuna) are easier to kill than some panteras in Krokun. It doesn't make sense.

I would just prefer to have an option for it. So if you want to level with a friend, instead of rerolling another toon lower your level to the level of the area or your friend's level.

About the panteras in Krokun and demons in Azuna, the fact that it's more difficult for you to kill the pantera is because you're not experienced with that kind of opponent. That's why it takes you a little longer to kill it.
    Last edited by Heldamon; 2017-10-31 at 07:23 AM.

I would want to see us as players scale down to the zone level. Like if Im hanging around in STV helping a friend at level 25 im scaled down to level 25. I would still be very powerfull since Im the leader and the best assassin in the world. So I would basicly be a level 25 with full epics and mobs wouldnt be a to big threat at all but still feel a sense of danger enetering old zones. Being so powerfull that one can kill one hundred raptors in one hit does not feel fun (subjective opinion) the world should feel and be dangerous every where.

I really hope the fix the leveling as well. After the statsquish the leveling has been such a turn off. Had couple of friends both old wow players and new ones to the game try i out and every one feels like they never are in danger, players are leveling so fast they move on to the next zone without getting any grip or sense for the storyline.

So for the scaling to work well they need to make sure mobs in the old world actually start being dangerous again for players who level. Like 5 man quest actually require a 5 man group to do and so on. This is what got me hooked to the game (subjective opinion again) when I leveled my first character in mid tbc. It was a mysterious and dangerous world.

I can understand why many don't like the concept. I personally wouldn't mind. If Blizz ever decides to do it I'd be totally cool with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. I don't think it will fix anything while making the game feel much more monotonous. Leveling from 100 to 110 I don't feel my character grow at all simply because there's no actual baseline to compare the power to since numbers scale with your level. In fact, I feel like my character grows much weaker as I go up in level past 100.

The thing that made leveling feel meaningful to me pre-stat squish was the fact that you actually felt the powerspikes happen and that you couldn't actually mass pull mobs, unless CDs were used, due to limited resources to deal damage.
    Last edited by Terahertz; 2017-10-31 at 08:02 AM.

I think this would be a horrible idea. There's already tons of level appropriate things to do in wow, I don't want to spend half of my time fighting mobs that are 10 years old just to mine some ore or work on old achievements/tmog farms. It would further remove the sense of power increase and character progression if everything just scales to you as you get stronger.
    Ltachilles
    <Forgotten Guardians>
    Area-52