Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    There is little incentive to act as an individual in such a large space. No singular vote would sway the outcome either way.
    True, one vote will not make a difference, but if there are quite a few people who feel that way and don't vote, well you just voted for the guy you didn't like.

If you live in a democracy, then you have a duty to find out who is running in your area and then to vote for the person you like the best - or in some cases - the guy you hate the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Well sure as fuck means more than it coming from some lazy ass fence sitters never failing to know who and how to fucking vote, but are the fucking first to call others idiot and bitch about everything. If Hillary was President we would actually have a President.
    the thread is 3 pages long, I've made about 4 posts so far, the first one explaining my logic behind not voting. not a fence sitter, a disillusioned 20 something whose principles compelled him to not sully himself by voting for the ever, EVER so slightly lesser evil.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    the thread is 3 pages long, I've made about 4 posts so far, the first one explaining my logic behind not voting. not a fence sitter, a disillusioned 20 something whose principles compelled him to not sully himself by voting for the ever, EVER so slightly lesser evil.
    Then write in or vote a third party as much as I hate those people also nothing is truly as pathetic as people who couldn’t be bothered to give a fuck at all. It isn’t difficult and the lesser of evils defense is a bunch of shit. Nobody takes that seriously.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    uou can still vote on other things, people just skip it all. I know for some of the smaller seats or roles I don't always vote because I don't know enough or don't have an opinion either way..
    Falls under 'equally happy or unhappy'.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

10+ Year Old Account
    Then write in or vote a third party as much as I hate those people also nothing is truly as pathetic as people who couldn’t be bothered to give a fuck at all. It isn’t difficult and the lesser of evils defense is a bunch of shit. Nobody takes that seriously.
    So people need to make pointless gestures to appease you? Why care what you think?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    So what about the people who don't vote when someone runs unopposed? Should people still not be able to complain?

It doesn't make any sense when you start looking at objectively. There are a tone of caveats from gerrymandering, voter suppression, work, deployment, health concerns, and it boils down to people saying something pointless to feel better about themselves. You got a sticker for voting, I got a sticker for voting, and I even got one for going to the dentist.
    You can write someone in but if someone is running unopposed that’s not really who I’m talking about.

Yes voting always matters even when gerrymandering happens even with the electoral, your voice matters. There has never been more access to candidates and information from multiple sources.

It’s only 2-4 Years and shit now you can even mail it in. There is no excuse not to.

sure thing! next time, I write in "lick muh balls".

Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    Do people who were eligible to vote but didn't vote in this last election have a right to complain about the outcome? Seems like if they had a problem with it they should've done something about it when they had the chance.
    People have a right to complain about the outcome of elections because of the First Amendment, and because they pay taxes and are legal residents. They may not have exercised their priviledge to vote, but they sure as hell can exercise their RIGHT to speak out about any outcome.

First Amednment doesn't exist to preserve ideas and comments with which we agree. It exists to preserve ideas and comments with which we do not.

People who vote for the lesser of two evils are still voting for evil, and get exactly what they deserve.

Not sure why this is a question the United States has the electoral college which renders the votes of millions irrelevant so I can understand people not voting. However if we were in a system where every vote counted then that would be a different story.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Meiffert View Post
    Votes of majority of people in the US are irrelevant.
    And I don't mean "my 1 vote is like a drop in the sea" irrelevant, I mean it actually doesn't count because of the voting system.
    It actually does. For one thing, it effects what polices are put into place in your state. And another, your vote can make a difference if a candidate gets the electoral votes from your state. Sometimes, the votes are extremely close and can make a big difference in even the electoral college system. Such as Florida in the 2000 election.

Deleted
    Spoil your ballot paper if you hate all candidates either wise you just look lazy statistically. people protesting should always spoil ballot papers.

There was no decent viable option to begin with. Both major candidates would (and have) had a negative impact on the country. I don't like trump, but if Hillary would have won the outcome would hardly have been any better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    So people need to make pointless gestures to appease you? Why care what you think?
    Appease me fuck no. They should vote because they have an opportunity to be heard and access to a democratic process. Which is not conditional on you getting everything you fucking want, that’s Santa Clause.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LawnmowersUnited View Post
    There was no decent viable option to begin with. Both major candidates would (and have) had a negative impact on the country. I don't like trump, but if Hillary would have won the outcome would hardly have been any better.
    There were Independents on the ballot and you can always do a write in.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    It actually does. For one thing, it effects what polices are put into place in your state. And another, your vote can make a difference if a candidate gets the electoral votes from your state. Sometimes, the votes are extremely close and can make a big difference in even the electoral college system. Such as Florida in the 2000 election.
    The Electoral College is forced inequality. It's nothing more than affirmative action. There is no reason that a person in Wyoming should have three times the voting power as a person in Texas.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LawnmowersUnited View Post
    There are two very workable solutions. Vote third party, or don't vote at all.

In my opinion they really don’t have a right to complain but at the same time too they probably don’t care anyhow since they chose not to vote.
    Like the majority of France didn’t care for macron or Maria le pen.

I feel people shouldn't vote if they don't want to. However, this last US election I've seen plenty of people (and personally know some people) that didn't vote "because it doesn't matter anyway" only to complain about the result afterward. I have some enjoyment in repeating their reason to not vote back at them.

Overall, however, I don't really care if people vote or not. That's their right. It's also their right to complain if they want to. It just shows their true colors in the end.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

10+ Year Old Account
    All that doesn't address the bullshit talking point that if you don't vote you can't complain. Protesting is one of the most effective ways to see big change, and historically more effective then voting. So yeah you should vote, but just because you don't or couldn't doesn't mean your voice should be silent.

Well I’ll agree with you in part but if you acknowledge the importance of protesting ALL protesting then there’s no excuse not to vote, unless you can’t and by can’t I mean you in the literal sense.

Or course they should, People in the middle of the country are widely ignored. You are correct it is forced, but forced equality. A republic isn't a democracy, and it gives the voice of the minority a microphone. As it should, because they are minority and not as many of them.
    No, it's forced inequality, as was pointed out. People's voting power is unequal because of it, and it comes from the Electoral College.

Now, the attempt may be to create "equality" of outcome, but that's not really the case. I'll take equality of opportunity any day of the week.