Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I hear there's good places to have octopus shoved in your holes.

Get your ears cleaned by yakuza prostitutes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Definitely spend some time in Osaka and
    enjoy all types of food. Streetfood in all kinds and versions, from cheap to not so cheap. Be ready to eat, and eat, and eat, and eat some more. Definetly woth it

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    There is a village full of foxes that is just awesome if you like foxes, an island full of cats, and another full of bunnies.
    Um like real animals or people dressed / cosplaying as those....?

Pretty sure its the former, but its Japan and well you never know...
    Last edited by dvaz; 2017-10-30 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dvaz View Post
    Um like real animals or people dressed / cosplaying as those....?

Pretty sure its the former, but its Japan and well you never know...
    Real fluffy foxes. It's amazing (if you like foxes, of course.)+

Careful, they sometimes nip at your hands/ankles. It doesn't hurt adults, but small children can be frightened by that. I'd also reccomend not taking kids that know how to follow your instructions, ages 5+.

Also, wear outdoor/sturdy cloths that you don't mind if they get a little torn, because if you don't give them treats they'll start a tug of war with your pants and jackets, and don't leave stuff lying around. They are kind of like magpies and take stuff away from you and bury it.
    Last edited by Skulltaker; 2017-10-30 at 09:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Legendix187- View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

Wow, thanks for the bookload of advice!
    I'll have to check your posted suggestions piece by piece it seems
    Are you a native if I may be so curious to ask?

- - - Updated - - -
    You're welcome. I'm not Japanese (I'm French) but Japan is kinda a passion for me and I went there several times.

Another piece of advice regarding Hotel. With JR Pass, you can go aboard any train (or so, there is some that you can't, but there is very few), without even needing to book (But do it the day before or in the morning to have a seat). Japan is big and some cities like Kyoto takes several days to visit. What I did myself was to move around with the train, booking hotels through Internet the day before (Booking.com or other websites. There is an app for your phone also, which is kinda useful).

Other thing that is extra useful in Japan is that you can rent for the duration of your trip a Wifi device with will connect to the 4G network in Japan. You connect your phone to it and voilà, Internet everywhere without needing to buy a Japanese simcard.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, me and my spouse are planning a 4 week trip to Japan next year and will mainly stay in Tokyo. We are also planning to buy a railpass for the bullettrain to visit far distance places like Osaka, Hiroshima, Mount Fuji etc.
    Are you a native or have visited Japan before, what would you suggest a must to visit?
    And can we see it all in 4 weeks?
    4 weeks? You guys are both taking 4 weeks off work?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ushiku_Daibutsu

Probably about 2 hours away from Tokyo, might be a bit of a pain to get to as you will need to take a bus from somewhere. I was driven here luckily from Tsukuba by a work colleague. Truly magnificent statue.
    RETH

10+ Year Old Account
    FROG CAFE, (Called, Kagaya)
    TRUST ME. Do not look at reviews(It has great reviews but..) it will spoil the experience/the fun.

Make sure to call ahead though, it does get packed.
    Last edited by flan1337; 2017-10-31 at 03:09 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennis View Post
    4 weeks? You guys are both taking 4 weeks off work?
    It's a 14hour flight and we want to see as much as possible so yeah 5 weeks off including jetlag

Ot: Thanks to all for the great advices! There was allot we did not have in mind yet. Probably have to make some hard discussions cause 4 weeks issent going to cut it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ushiku_Daibutsu

Probably about 2 hours away from Tokyo, might be a bit of a pain to get to as you will need to take a bus from somewhere. I was driven here luckily from Tsukuba by a work colleague. Truly magnificent statue.
    That was on the list ofc but thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by flanYfran View Post
    FROG CAFE, (Called, Kagaya)
    TRUST ME. Do not look at reviews(It has great reviews but..) it will spoil the experience/the fun.

Make sure to call ahead though, it does get packed.
    Did a quick overlook without spoiling to much, wth man?
    Interesting.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Estherna View Post
    You're welcome. I'm not Japanese (I'm French) but Japan is kinda a passion for me and I went there several times.

Another piece of advice regarding Hotel. With JR Pass, you can go aboard any train (or so, there is some that you can't, but there is very few), without even needing to book (But do it the day before or in the morning to have a seat). Japan is big and some cities like Kyoto takes several days to visit. What I did myself was to move around with the train, booking hotels through Internet the day before (Booking.com or other websites. There is an app for your phone also, which is kinda useful).

Other thing that is extra useful in Japan is that you can rent for the duration of your trip a Wifi device with will connect to the 4G network in Japan. You connect your phone to it and voilà, Internet everywhere without needing to buy a Japanese simcard.
    We were planning on booking days beforehand but kinda scared we would find ourselves flat out without a bed to crash in. No idea how bussy hotels get over there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Syri79 View Post
    I've been to Japan twice, staying around Tokyo and Kyoto both times. There's a lot to see, and even with 4 weeks, there's a lot you will have to miss out on.
    The first thing I would suggest is don't spend all of your time around Tokyo. Book hotels in other areas as well, as even with the shinkansen, it's several hours to get from Tokyo to Kyoto/Osaka, and then more again if you go to Hiroshima, or head up north to Sendai or Aomori. Decide on a rough path and book hotels to match. The second time I went, I travelled out to Kyoto as soon as I landed, and worked my way back. I would have gone out to Hiroshima first if I had more time. If you keep having to go back and forth to Tokyo, you lose a lot of time you could spend seeing more sights, as places like Kyoto especially will require a few days.
    Oh, and when booking hotels in Tokyo, avoid shinjuku. Seriously, avoid it. It's a nice place to visit but at peak times, it's incredibly busy, especially around the station, so getting away to visit somewhere else can be a dreadful experience.

As for what to see, I'd recommend visiting the Fushimi Inari Shrine in Kyoto, as well as the Golden Pavilion (Kinkaku-ji) and, if the repairs are finished by then, Kiyomizu-Dera. I'd also recommend a trip to Nara, which is a short ride from Kyoto, and has a great temple and shrine in the main park, as well as wild deer roaming around the place. I've not been to Osaka apart from visiting the massive sea life centre there, which was pretty impressive if you're into that sort of thing.
    In Tokyo, I'd definitely recommend going up to one of the many observation floors in the buildings there. I went up Sunshine 60 the first time, and up the government building towers in Shinjuku the second time (added bonus, that one's free). There are a lot of temples and shrines around Tokyo, the Meiji shrine is worth a visit. I also like Ueno Park, it's a great area to relax, and has a lot of little shrines dotted around the park.
    Thanks for the tips!
    The sea life centre was definitely on the list!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Not to sound offending but mixing a martial art discipline together with wwe? Though wwe shows only existed in the USA
    Last edited by mmoc5dbd52a5f1; 2017-10-31 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveRocks View Post
    Lived in Japan for a bit. Definitely spend some time in Osaka and the village of Nara is probably the most beautiful place I've ever been.
    I had the benefit of landing in Osaka on a multi-city vacation to Japan. It was an incredible start, and visiting Nara and seeing the Deer around the main temple at Nara Park consistently stands out in my memory of Japan.

Highly recommend what Steve suggests.

Deleted
    I would try those capsule hotels, although I'm not sure if that's actually in Japan.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rilch View Post
    I would try those capsule hotels, although I'm not sure if that's actually in Japan.
    I think it is if I am not mistaken.

Ugh! No. Just no.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixnalia View Post
    I had the benefit of landing in Osaka on a multi-city vacation to Japan. It was an incredible start, and visiting Nara and seeing the Deer around the main temple at Nara Park consistently stands out in my memory of Japan.

Highly recommend what Steve suggests.
    I looked it up after he suggested it and definitely is a priority.
    Off topic: did you find Samurai Jack?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Ugh! No. Just no.
    Do I smell some reaction out of experience here?

I looked it up after he suggested it and definitely is a priority.

- - - Updated - - -

Do I smell some reaction out of experience here?
    Once and only for one night. That was enough.

Not something you want to do on vacation with your wife.

Oh, if only.

I did get to visit a couple of castles though, akin to what he used to live in alongside his mother and father.

Which reminds me, that if you're in Osaka, check out Osaka Castle(Osakajo).

If you're lucky enough to go during Cherry Blossom season, the park grounds are surrounded by Cherry Blossoms that will be in bloom.

Capsule Hotel aren't bad. Compared to some Youth Hostel I slept in, it's better. But it isn't a solution when you are travelling with your girlfriend or wife. Capsule Hotels are unisex (male or female) because there isn't private bathroom but a common bath where everyone is naked in the same room. You can imagine what could be the trouble to have women and men in there

But in the overall it's cheap when you are travelling alone. And most capsules close with a curtain, not some kind of door. So yeah, not the worst deal in big Japanese cities.

We were planning on booking days beforehand but kinda scared we would find ourselves flat out without a bed to crash in. No idea how bussy hotels get over there.
    I totaly understand that All my friends are also like that. For Japan however, there is a lot of differents hotels available in the big and small cities. You should definitively try to book a Ryokan at some point for some real Japanese experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Estherna View Post
    Capsule Hotel aren't bad. Compared to some Youth Hostel I slept in, it's better. But it isn't a solution when you are travelling with your girlfriend or wife. Capsule Hotels are unisex (male or female) because there isn't private bathroom but a common bath where everyone is naked in the same room. You can imagine what could be the trouble to have women and men in there

But in the overall it's cheap when you are travelling alone. And most capsules close with a curtain, not some kind of door. So yeah, not the worst deal in big Japanese cities.

I totaly understand that All my friends are also like that. For Japan however, there is a lot of differents hotels available in the big and small cities. You should definitively try to book a Ryokan at some point for some real Japanese experience.
    Not just any Ryokan. An Onsen Ryokan. Imagine sitting in your own private outdoor hot spring pool while it is raining (very likely this time of the year) or better yet, when it is snowing (wrong time of the year unfortunately).

BTW, almost forgot. You have to go see Gujo Hachiman.

http://www.gujohachiman.com/kanko/index_e.html

If you do decide to go to Gujo, instead of a hotel, try this bed & breakfast. The last time we were there, we paid around $100 a night for two which included home cooked dinner and breakfast. The people were super nice. One day our bus broke down on the way back from a tour, and we missed dinner hours. The owner opened his kitchen and cooked dinner just for us.

http://gujo.com/yado/kikumiya/index.htm
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2017-11-01 at 03:16 AM.