Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    James Cameron doesn't do what James Cameron does for research investment. James Cameron does what James Cameron does because James Cameron is...

James Cameron.
    i love u
    mr pickles

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Colonies underwater and self sufficient could. Depends on how large of a asteroid hits. The cost to get to a planet which is not hostile to humans and is suitable for human growth, would take longer to reach and cost more. We can do it quicker and cheaper in our own Oceans.
    Yeah. And when the atmosphere burns and the oceans boil and vaporize, what then?

I'm fully aware that space colonies take long to construct. All the more reason to start ASAP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWorkingTitle View Post
    One of the accepted theories of where Peking Man went is underwater. And if not him, sunken civilizations. Millions of acres of land are now underwater that were once part of Pangaea above water.
    What? Humanity never existed on Pangea. Not even close. Pangea broke apart hundreds of millions of years before humans came to be.

And peking man didn't "go underwater." That's really insipid. It's simply an old homonid fossil.

We know almost nothing about them, and it's extremely difficult to get live specimens both literally and legally.

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science...ies-ncna812671 food for thought.
    I'm quite aware of Greenland sharks. They're hard to get because they're rare, not because they have some underwater colony they're all chilling in.

It's a bigger leap saying that it's improbable than it is saying it's probable. So, not really. Especially so if you realize we've discovered less than 20% of Earth's species.
    Tons of medical advancements have been made through discoveries of new plants and animals. To think we've done all we can is extremely shortsighted.
    Plants? Sure. Animals? Not really, no.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Invest more in desalination

I think that we should spend as much time and energy necessary to fully understand the natural cycles of this planet and any hidden treasures within before any other exploration.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    Yeah. And when the atmosphere burns and the oceans boil and vaporize, what then?

I'm fully aware that space colonies take long to construct. All the more reason to start ASAP.
    Lol! I did say it would depend on how large the asteroid was. One large enough to wipe out all life on land, may not be as harmful to life in the sea. ( Some impact of course.) One reason they discovered the one fish they thought had been extinct for millions of years off the coast of South Africa, alive and well.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2017-11-01 at 02:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Recently watched Blue Planet II (because David Attenborough is amazing) and it got me thinking about a subject I have mentioned before but Should we consider more investment in undersea research and exploration?

I suspect a number of space buffs will say no and suggest most investment should go into space exploration because we fucked the planet up but to me that's defeatist /shrug over 70% of the planet is ocean and we still haven't scratched the secrets within that could drastically improve our lives both medically and scientific
    No, the majority should go into space exploration for redundancy, not because we fucked up the planet. If earth suffers some kind of extinction level event, all of humanity is gone... Unless we have people on another planet.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    No, the majority should go into space exploration for redundancy, not because we fucked up the planet. If earth suffers some kind of extinction level event, all of humanity is gone... Unless we have people on another planet.
    I think there's an area where research in one is applicable to the other.... and/or more financially viable.

Especially when it comes to undersea habitation, its quite comparable to extraterrestrial colonization... but much more approachable.

At some point, undersea colonization might even be more efficient than on-land living.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Based on what?
    The origins of life on this planet?.

Life emerged and flourished in the oceans for upwards of three billion years before it first emerged on land.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    The origins of life on this planet?.

Life emerged and flourished in the oceans for upwards of three billion years before it first emerged on land.
    OK. Very nice see someone could actually answer the question, thanks.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

OK. Very nice see someone could actually answer the question, thanks.
    And if they put their explorations on video and have David Attenborough narrate it, we should be spending the entire GDP of the US on this.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    And if they put their explorations on video and have David Attenborough narrate it, we should be spending the entire GDP of the US on this.
    Hahahaha in 4K, because I would actually pay to see this.

Hahahaha in 4K, because I would actually pay to see this.
    But really, it's astonishing that we know more about outer space than we do about our own planet, in some ways. We can send a probe 93 million miles to check out the Sun, but putting one a deep in our own oceans is a feat.

10+ Year Old Account
    But really, it's astonishing that we know more about outer space than we do about our own planet, in some ways. We can send a probe 93 million miles to check out the Sun, but putting one a deep in our own oceans is a feat.
    Shit then you aren't going to like my attitude about space exploration either, because as a whole I am a big believer that is mostly a bust too, outside of going to the moon and back, most of NASA has pretty much produced almost nothing.

I am not saying to end the program, but I do think it might be better to have a better mission and more consistency. Like why not simply put more attention on our immediate solar system.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, and we also need to teach more teaching in order to do it right.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Shit then you aren't going to like my attitude about space exploration either, because as a whole I am a big believer that is mostly a bust too, outside of going to the moon and back, most of NASA has pretty much produced almost nothing.

I am not saying to end the program, but I do think it might be better to have a better mission and more consistency. Like why not simply put more attention on our immediate solar system.
    We wouldn't be communicating via this medium without NASA (and other research that had no apparent use at the time). The web itself was developed by CERN as a means of sharing technical specifications among its groups.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    We wouldn't be communicating via this medium without NASA (and other research that had no apparent use at the time). The web itself was developed by CERN as a means of sharing technical specifications among its groups.
    Oh, please. it doesn't matter who first came up with the idea. It would've been invented anyway. Perhaps even in better form.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Oh, please. it doesn't matter who first came up with the idea. It would've been invented anyway. Perhaps even in better form.
    I mean, there was this thing. But that's besides the point completely. The amount of tech we use today that came out of "frivolous" research is astounding.

15+ Year Old Account
    Its already been done "The blue Planet" has an ep all about the Deep Sea life at -4000m sea level is tripy as hell so many colors with bioluminescence and fish with 1/3 of there bodies being eyes to try and get any light they can see

But ya I think we should its a little crazy what you need to go down that below -6000m I think only 2 manned subs have made it to the bottom of Challenger Deep which 10800-10990m deep more people have been to the moon then the deepest part of the ocean.
    Last edited by Firatha; 2017-11-01 at 07:27 AM.
    My rogue RIP 2004-2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    No they don’t learn and evidence suggests that. Behavior also doesn’t change and if there is any hope of learning behavior has to change.

Not meaningless declarations easy to say after he regrets offering up evidence he’s a racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Firatha View Post
    Its already been done "The blue Planet" has an ep all about the Deep Sea life at -4000m sea level is tripy as hell so many colors with bioluminescence and fish with 1/3 of there bodies being eyes to try and get any light they can see
    I know, I've seen all of Attenborough's work. But there's so much more down there. We're likely to know more about the surface of Mars than we are about our own ocean floor soon. And the ocean floor should be considered the Earth's surface.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Firatha View Post
    I know, I've seen all of Attenborough's work. But there's so much more down there. We're likely to know more about the surface of Mars than we are about our own ocean floor soon. And the ocean floor should be considered the Earth's surface.