Bladerunner 2049: 10/10
    The Snowman: 7/10
    Geostorm: 2/10

The Big Sick

9/10

probably the best comedy I've seen this year, the performances are great(especially from holly hunter), the humour is often subtle and always very smart.

and it has a very original tone and pacing to it that's refreshing.

the film seems to be going under the radar, so I recommend everyone giving it a go because it should be recognized instead of all the half assed generic garbage we get as mainstream comedies.

5+ Year Old Account
    It: 4/10

Visually the movie is okay and the actors are suitable, but the sound design is shockingly bad and destroyed every spooky scene.
    Compared to the first adaption it was great, which had nothing going for it, except for Tim Curry.
    Last edited by George Lucas; 2017-10-29 at 03:22 AM.

All I See Is You 6/10

Pretty good performances and well directed. I felt some of the characterizations were cartoonish and shallow, however. Likewise some of the plotting is very predictable. Missing the opportunity to fully it explore the premise in as an impacting as the third act tried to sum up. I was really engaged for the first two acts though. The movie needed to have a bit more of uncertainty or at the least a less deliberate narrative conclusion to really pull it all off though.

Logan

Perfectly demonstrates that defying genre conventions isn't necessarily a good thing. When the replacement for superhero spectacle is generic Hollywood action, the result isn't all that exciting. Logan establishes a lot of things that it never addresses, which makes it difficult to get into the setting and events that take place. Another problem is the misuse of the R rating, which is mostly used for copious amounts of blood, the severing of limbs, swearing galore, and at one point a young lady flashes her breasts. None of this adds anything to the film and only serves to prove that, just because you can, doesn't mean that you should.

Unlike most superhero films, Logan gives its characters smaller moments, such as having dinner with a friendly family, as a family, which adds humanity to these characters. It also gives Patrick Stewart and Hugh Jackman opportunities to show what they're capable of as actors. These are their best performances in the franchise, especially for Hugh Jackman, who truly sells the weakness and sickliness of his character.

Verdict: 5/10

Office Christmas Party - fun comedy that isn't firing on all cylinders at times, but nonetheless absolutely has it's LOL moments. 5.5/10, worth a watch if your bored.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Yes.

More coherent than Dogtooth, better than The Lobster. I LOVED the Lobster, fyi.
    The end of The Lobster absolutely enraged me. I suppose that was the desired effect, but the events that led up to her condition were pretty stupid. Clever, unique movie though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    Gerald's Game or 1922 both on netflix and made by netflix.
    I just tried to watch 1922 but it's sooooooo slow I'm 28 minutes in and the action takes sooooooooooooooooo long. The thing is, the atmosphere isn't that tense. The perspective is interesting I guess but it's not like I feel scared.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    I just tried to watch 1922 but it's sooooooo slow I'm 28 minutes in and the action takes sooooooooooooooooo long. The thing is, the atmosphere isn't that tense. The perspective is interesting I guess but it's not like I feel scared.
    You kids and the your lack of attention spans. Think Tell Tale Heart with this film but with a Stephen King spin.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

What we do in the Shadows

Hilarious mockumentry about a group of vampires living together in New Zealand. Camera crew follows them around as there lives get disrupted by a new vampire who introduces them to modern technology. Its definately the funniest dark comedy since Shaun of the Dead.

9/10

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by minkage View Post
    What we do in the Shadows

Hilarious mockumentry about a group of vampires living together in New Zealand. Camera crew follows them around as there lives get disrupted by a new vampire who introduces them to modern technology. Its definately the funniest dark comedy since Shaun of the Dead.

9/10
    I can only recommend this greatly, one of the funniest and original movie I have seen in ages. Love how they all resemble a different type of well known Vampire. Gary Oldman's Dracula, Bela Lugosi's Dracula, Twilight and Interview with a Vampire.

The setting is fabulous, and the daily troubles of Vampires in a normal world. Hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
    I can only recommend this greatly, one of the funniest and original movie I have seen in ages. Love how they all resemble a different type of well known Vampire. Gary Oldman's Dracula, Bela Lugosi's Dracula, Twilight and Interview with a Vampire.

The setting is fabulous, and the daily troubles of Vampires in a normal world. Hilarious.
    You forgot about Peytr being Nosferatu era of film making.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

John Carpenter's The Thing - Meh. 3/10. So many people say this is such a great movie but I just don't see it. And it's not just that it didn't hold up the test of time. It might just be that I don't really care for horror movies for the horror part all that much, but it doesn't go in to interesting lore building, there's no great character growth, just some tension and gore. I don't see what people see in it.

John Carpenter's The Prince of Darkness - 5/10. Still not all that great, but it does go a little more in to the lore building and there is some interesting mystery. There's some goofy gore but the movie doesn't rely on it very much and does a decent job of building tension. It leaves you feeling like there are a lot of unanswered questions. Of the three, this one best captures the idea of a darkness beyond what can be seen, full of unspeakable horrors.

John Carpenter's In the mouth of Madness 4/10. This movie was just goofy. Underneath it all, there was some decent mystery in what was going on but the movie didn't address it very much and relied too much on silly gore. This movie came off as cheesy, if anything. The main plot sounded like something a writer comes up with when he needs a story but is out of ideas.

Hellraiser - 7/10. I had forgot about this movie. Its equal parts classic British suspense but with plenty of gore. Sometimes its disconcerting and almost seems to not belong. There are two things this movie does better than any other of the series. First the main badguy is human. His sins are human sins, and they're sins that we understand. His wickedness is from human desires and they are understandable. He is both detestable but knowable. He's a good villain. Also, tied on to that, the cenobytes are like gods. Their desires are alien. They seem all-powerful judges and that makes them pretty terrifying and mysterious. In the other movies where the cenobytes, especially pinhead become the main antagonist, this plays against the central struggle, because the cenobytes are both distant and unrelatable but also overcome by simple humans so seem not nearly as awesome.

Hellraiser 2: Hellbound - 6/10. I just like this one because it covers so much lore so it's interesting to me. Its the kind of thing I like in movies. An interesting world, interesting places and histories. The main story is kind of dumb, but it's a fun journey through hell.

Hellraiser 3: Hell on earth - 3/10 or so. For some reason I had fond memories of this movie. I don't know why, it was terrible. Like, real bad. The cenobytes are the main antagonist with some jerk humans that are quickly dispensed with and turned in to typical generic evil beings. The cenobytes just aren't very good main antagonists. This movie felt like they had a budget for explosions and special effects and wrote a plot around how to fit them all in. Just bad.

Hellraiser: Bloodline 5/10. Pretty generic plot, but the history it weaves is interesting at least. Seems like horror in to space was a popular idea for a while, don't think it ever worked that well, especially not for this movie. No reason it had to be in space.

Of all the movies I saw, Hellraiser was worth watching, though it's from the 80's so the graphics have to be given a little forgiveness.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    John Carpenter's The Thing - Meh. 3/10. So many people say this is such a great movie but I just don't see it. And it's not just that it didn't hold up the test of time. It might just be that I don't really care for horror movies for the horror part all that much, but it doesn't go in to interesting lore building, there's no great character growth, just some tension and gore. I don't see what people see in it.
    The Thing has pretty much the best practical effects of any movie ever! and they hold up STILL. You can cut the atmosphere of this movie with a knife and with a fantastic soundtrack, great cast and a very unique (at the time) horror movie. Its very deserving of all the love and praise it still gets.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Thing is one of the best movies ever made, period.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    The Thing is one of the best movies ever made, period.
    Not as good as citizen kane though

"The Planet of Treasures" (2002).

A bit late ... but this was INCREDIBLE !!!
    Absolutely did not expect this from Disney.

10/10

P.S.: soundtrack from John Rzheznik still spinning in my head

Valerian 5/10

I liked it honestly. The jokes were never funny and the casting was questionable, but the world and visuals were awesome. It was entertaining to watch and the overall story in my opinion was substantial, unlike for example guardians of the galaxy. Maybe next movie they can do things a bit more more seriously and most of all do a better job with the casting. Sorry Valerian!

Knowing - 4/10
    Started interesting enough with the whole premise. But the last quarter was just "Seriously?"
    "I'm a beaver in a hole, if you don't know what that is then I feel sorry for you"

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Not as good as citizen kane though
    That's pretty subjective.

Scott Pilgrim vs the World

7.5/10

Hard to put my finger on it, but the movie affected me on a level I'm still trying to pinpoint. I saw it just last night before bed. I actually liked it a lot.