Poll: If they announce legacy would you play them?

Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    Personally I love Legion, but let's face it, the game has become a lot more cookie cutter with each and every year...

A lot of people might scream "Rose tinted glasses", but I've played on vanilla private servers, and there is enjoyment to be found in going back to the basics. Back when you didn't just rush through the levelling, back when the levelling content was one of the main focuses of the game, and not just a hurdle you have to go through to get to max level. I miss the old zones, I feel like Cataclysm destroyed (literally) a lot of them. Stranglethorn Vale and The Barrens were incredible because they were fucking huge. Duskwood was genuinely scary because if you ventured too far into the woods, you would find a gigantic dragon. Even walking along the path you would have to be careful, before you know it a huge lumbering abomination was chasing you down... Certain quests required you to actually make groups. Not quickly refresh the group finder and join a random auto invite group, but actual people you interacted with.

I'm not saying it should replace or stand in the way of WoW's progression. But why can't it exist alongside it? Give everyone what they want.

The main flaw of most private servers is that the population is not very high. But if Blizzard made official legacy servers, I'm sure a lot of people would play them. Hell, they might even get players who quit the game to come back.

What do you think? Would you play on official vanilla legacy servers if they announced them at Blizzcon?
    But they wont /thread

Quote Originally Posted by plekz View Post
    no it's not, even if blizzard would have all source codes somewhere still for 'vanilla' it they would still have to go through and update all of it to be able to use it in their current server infastructure.
    I'm sure that whatever OS they used for the servers, I could install it in less than 15 minutes in any kind of virtualized x86 or x64 environment and have the full code running in minutes.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2017-11-03 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vidget View Post
    Actually if you claim something that nobody has ever heard of it's on you to produce proof. Saying that you've made a post somewhere at some point in time and to go look for it isn't going to cut it, you need to produce actual solid proof of your claim.
    I have already posted several walls of blue posts on the matter. By that point it is the person requesting them to read them. Ignoring them defeats the concept. You cannot ask for proof simply because you either ignore or "don't like" the proof on offer.

I started playing Nostalrius right before it went down. Felt awesome. Helpful and kind people on the server - it feels more like you actually "live" in the world you play in since you meet the same people over again. I also loved how slow and meaningful leveling feels.

I'd play it at least to level 60 - not too keen on endgame Vanilla though, the raids are really boring to me now.

Yes I would, but no they won't announce that. Why would they announce that, it would be like admitting to the world that they actively made the game worse. Which they did.

Quote Originally Posted by plekz View Post
    no it's not, even if blizzard would have all source codes somewhere still for 'vanilla' it they would still have to go through and update all of it to be able to use it in their current server infastructure. since all blizzard products run through their b.net platform. and it's not even sure they would be able to adapt old source code either, they could very well have to build partial (or even the whole thing) essentially from scratch.

because having it not run through b.net isn't an option, since b.net is blizzards 'main hub'
    You’re shitting me right? This can’t be that hard. All the Battle.net launcher does is run a .exe file when you click Play. You can still run WoW without the launcher by going to the directory. What else is there? The friends list?

I’m sure the Battle.net integration is not as difficult as everyone’s making it out to be.

I would. I'm sick of all the private legacy servers and corrupt teams working on it, or weird class bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Torrasque View Post
    I'm sorry, but your inability to read isn't my issue. Ignoring information is your issue, not mine.
    My reading is fine, you haven't posted any source, I've looked. But that's okay I suspected you were a liar all along. Feel free to prove me wrong by posting that source. Any other respose but the link to that source will be seen as further proof of your lie.

Have a good day

You’re shitting me right? This can’t be that hard. All the Battle.net launcher does is run a .exe file when you click Play. You can still run WoW without the launcher by going to the directory. What else is there? The friends list?

I’m sure the Battle.net integration is not as difficult as everyone’s making it out to be.
    It must be super hard to implement, that's why all those old blizzard games remasters and shit have it.

You mean the friends list that is integrated into all blizzard games on the battle.net launcher and lets you chat with people on your battle.net freinds list while you are playing WoW, even if they are playing another game? The one that, full disclosure: i have not tried this, will probably still be available for use even if you launch the program from the directory?
    Yeah, that seems pretty separate from any game on battle.net.

I can literally run Windows 1.0 (yes, 1.0 not 10) on my PC right now. Running legacy software on a modern machine has never been easier, thanks to virtualization.

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    That's mostly bullshit, it doesn't work like this.
    Says the veteran game designer who worked in many triple-A games?

It won't have any of the new features but that's it.
    Who said anything about "new features"?

They will not (hopefully) dedicate time and other resources to such an old version of the game. I wouldn't even think about trying it again, and I do mind if they take away people/servers/whatever from the current version to start and maintain legacy server(s) for a handful of players that live in the past. "But I wanna play Vanilla", "GTFO".

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Says the veteran game designer who worked in many triple-A games?
    Game designers usually have no idea whatsoever about server architecture and datacenters. That's an entire different branch of people you need to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by markos82 View Post
    So Blizzard doesnt have source codes but private serves have? Are you kidding me? I mean you got to be joking!!
    Illegal servers don't have the code, either. They just have a mish-mash frankenstein emulation script of guesswork and approximations.

This is funny as fuck. 123 pages about something that will never happen, you guys have too much free time
    Alt-reich/Trumpism is a disease and it needs to be purged from the world.

I'm sure that whatever OS they used for the servers, I could install it in less than 15 minutes in any kind of virtualized x86 or x64 environment and have the full code running in minutes.
    Except Blizzard is very unlikely to ever use any "virtualized bullshit" to make their old games run. They'd have to adapt the games' code to fit the new hardware and software.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Except Blizzard is very unlikely to ever use any "virtualized bullshit" to make their old games run. They'd have to adapt the games' code to fit the new hardware and software.
    Nothing runs on pure hardware anymore. Everything is virtualized, everywhere. This game, their other games, their websites, this website, literally everything.

The fact that you don't know this kind of makes the discussion entire pointless and a major waste of time form my side.

Nothing runs on pure hardware anymore. Everything is virtualized, everywhere. This game, their other games, their websites, this website, literally everything.

The fact that you don't know this kind of makes the discussion entire pointless and a major waste of time form my side.
    Not to even mention that all of WoW's realms are just vms....

10+ Year Old Account
    I've said it before and I'll keep saying it. I would support these servers under one condition. I want to transfer a level 60 over in full raid gear. Destroy content, farm otherwise old exclusive content and return to a real server with shit like scrab lord attached to my account. Just to trigger the exclusivity crowed.

Basically I want a theme park I can walk into, rob and leave

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by markos82 View Post
    So Blizzard doesnt have source codes but private serves have? Are you kidding me? I mean you got to be joking!!
    Private servers have less then legal and incomplete code. It's why so many where so very broken so so long. Blizzard kept little if anything
    Wrath baby and proud of it