Page 23 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Because nothing in vanilla required you to min/max and having fun on a spec you enjoy is what its all about?

Ugh you kids who never played vanilla, really hope you stay off my classic server.
    Listen, you're only proving that you didn't play vanilla. Here's how it worked: if you were a warrior, you tanked. If you could heal, you did heal. If you were a pure dps class, you did dps. Though even that was kind of limited. Yelling at warlocks for taking up a debuff slot was not uncommon.

That's how it worked in vanilla, HOWEVER I guarantee Blizz will balance specs so that everything is somewhat balanced and able to play whatever role they want.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkBlade6 View Post
    Or maybe you had a terrible leader ?! I cleared all raids and 4 boss in Naxx40 and we never brought any shit spec.
    You have no idea how bad people in vanilla actually were, vast VAST majority were clickers. We all now have nagas or full keybinds, you will see people clearing everything on classic with ferals and rets.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because nothing in vanilla required you to min/max to that level, and having fun on a spec you enjoy is what its all about?

Ugh you kids who never played vanilla, really hope you stay off my classic server.
    I hope you stay off mine.

I also played all of vanilla, didn't fully clear Naxx though.

They were kinda viable in Naxx though.
    Last edited by Tekkommo; 2017-11-03 at 11:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolsteak View Post
    This

You can find videos from vanilla of Ret pallies doing Naxx just as you can find videos from private servers of Rat pallies doing raids now
    Exactly. People seem to forget with 13 years of gear lists and bis lists classes compete relatively well.

For some reason people still think the internet is in 2004 for Vanilla WoW and there's no information on how to properly gear your character.

We'll let those people continue to be stupid because they're beyond help lol

Because nothing in vanilla required you to min/max and having fun on a spec you enjoy is what its all about?

Berserk was a thing in Vanilla Raids

I'm surprised by the number of idiots proclaiming that "this must be a sign that the live game is performing worse than ever!!".

Um, no. If anything, it's a sign that things are going so well that they can dispense resources and time to many different ventures. If the game was performing badly, they'd be all-in damage control and certainly not spending time re-creating old iterations of the game.

I'm also surprised by the number of seemingly pro-Legacy people that are now getting pre-emptively riled up by what patch the server will be in...
    Is there not a generally "agreed upon" state of Classic which the fanbase wants and considers "the real deal", AKA when the full Classic iteration was released but before TBC launched?

Deleted
    Because nothing in vanilla required you to min/max to that level, and having fun on a spec you enjoy is what its all about?

In the gap between ragnaros and AQ40 there was absolutely no way on hell that you would bring any non-standard spec for progression raiding, the tiersets didn't even support it. One exception is a druid tank (after zg release, with the fishing pole from zg as weapon).
    You couldn't bring a balance druid or shadow priest to BWL and hope to ever defeat even Vael, cause your dps would just be too low.
    T2.5 sets from AQ40 shifted it a bit, but not too much either.

Sounds more like yo udidn't play vanilla at all tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffeh View Post
    Listen, you're only proving that you didn't play vanilla. Here's how it worked: if you were a warrior, you tanked. If you could heal, you did heal. If you were a pure dps class, you did dps. Though even that was kind of limited. Yelling at warlocks for taking up a debuff slot was not uncommon.

That's how it worked in vanilla, HOWEVER I guarantee Blizz will balance specs so that everything is somewhat balanced and able to play whatever role they want.

They only will not do any class balancing, they cannot...or classic servers simply will not function as intended.

Also, fury warriors were the top DPS in naxx.....way to show clearly how you never played back then.

the private server community is massive...and not because they are thieves.
    many feel that older game mechanics were superior

im very interested to see where blizzard takes this hopefully they will expansion hop also

Quote Originally Posted by Voidmaster View Post
    In the gap between ragnaros and AQ40 there was absolutely no way on hell that you would bring any non-standard spec for progression raiding, the tiersets didn't even support it. One exception is a druid tank (after zg release, with the fishing pole from zg as weapon).
    You couldn't bring a balance druid or shadow priest to BWL and hope to ever defeat even Vael, cause your dps would just be too low.
    T2.5 sets from AQ40 shifted it a bit, but not too much either.

Sounds more like yo udidn't play vanilla at all tbh.
    I remember the Shadow/Warlock kill of Loatheb.

But yeah, in MC and BWL no one cares about your performance. In late AQ and Naxx that was different. You could still play there as a Ret or whatever, if your guild carried you.

You have no idea how bad people in vanilla actually were, vast VAST majority were clickers. We all now have nagas or full keybinds, you will see people clearing everything on classic with ferals and rets.
    Dont get me wrong, I know that, I played on Elysiun for quite a while. Vanilla is easy AF (I mean when you play it with veteran wow players). But when you see a ret doing 100 dps and the rogues are in the 500-1000+ (depend what kind of gear you have i guess...) people are gonna complain.
    Last edited by DarkBlade6; 2017-11-03 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    I've always said they'd never do it, I'm glad I was wrong, everyone wins now GG blizz
    Not sure how much people are "winning" though, people seem to be pre-emptively getting riled up over shit like:

Class balance (will it be a TRUE Classic, IE imbalanced and such)
    Features (Cross-realm, account-wide, transmog)
    Patch (what patch will the game be in? The very first or the full Classic game?)

Blizzard opened Pandora's box on this one, but hopefully they've got some data suggesting what people like the most about Classic servers.

They only will not do any class balancing, they cannot...or classic servers simply will not function as intended.

Also, fury warriors were the top DPS in naxx.....way to show clearly how you never played back then.
    Actually I played from day one. What I meant about warrior is that they were the only tanks, not that they couldn't also dps.

But if you think Blizz won't balance specs differently than they were...pretty sure you'll be wrong about that. What patch will they implement the game? Probably not launch patch. Each class had a 'class review' in various patches. So will it be after tall those reviews took place? Somewhere in the middle? No, the answer is they'll just balance things different than they were back then.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubbl3 View Post
    I remember the Shadow/Warlock kill of Loatheb.

But yeah, in MC and BWL no one cares about your performance. In late AQ and Naxx that was different. You could still play there as a Ret or whatever, if your guild carried you.
    Yeah like i said, t2.5+ shifted things a bit, it put fury warriors and retpallies way up, before that though? just no.
    You would never even pass the Vael check with a non-optimal raid, which only included "pure" specs at that point (eg warrior = tank, paladin = healer, etc.).

As someone who has played on Vanilla servers. I wonder how blizzard will approach certain issues.

gear stat changes (lots of gear's stats changed over the course of vanilla)
    monopolies (was quite easy to create a monopoly of a necessary resource if you had the right group/organization to do it with)
    exploited (many things were exploited and never fixed, current vanilla servers fixed these exploits, I imagine blizzard will as well)
    node respawn rates

personally. all of the above had zero affect on my vanilla experience. I would not be apposed to a vanilla game with all the gear stats locked, all exploits fixed and the world built to accommodate a population of 3,000+.

for me vanilla was all about the community, no name changing. you had to behave. people had to communicate. no one looked at IL. most vanilla dungeons just required you do the mechanics and you were fine (just like nowadays but people want 950 IL for 890 intended content)

i'm sure there will be many open discussions with players about these types of issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Voidmaster View Post
    Yep, grinding 200 hourson scarlet crusade to get gold for your mount, grinding the worst faction ever in the game (thorium) for your FR gear for ragnaros, grinding uldaman 200 times for your AQ NR gear. Gearing 8 tanks for 4HM where all the other bosses require 3 tanks at most. Grinding specific gear for your rogue to evasion tank razuvious, spending 2 hours before every raid to grind enough shards on your warlock. Farming tubers in felwood with a spawnrate of 2 in the zone at a time, with 200 other people looking for them. Do i need to go on?
    Such fun and engaging content man It was good back then, not so much in 2017.
    Specific gear is enjoyable to me tho, maybe not to you or others. It makes it feel more rpg to me and something to look fowards to completing. And as someone who already did MC, getting FR gear wasnt a quarter as annoying as looking for a legendary drop in today's standards. Hell i cant even name a faction that you got rep with since some in MoP, and Vanilla reps actually feel like they have purpose. 8 tanks for 4HM is far down the road of progression and at a point where a raid group will have already geared the main tanks and began feeding offtanks. Like its not all sunshine and rainbows, you actually have to put some thought in planning what you are going to be doing. But thats still what i prefer in gameplay and no other MMO at this time feels like it, except maybe everquest but vanilla WoW is more polished than that even.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkBlade6 View Post
    Dont get me wrong, I know that, I played on Elysiun for quite a while. Vanilla is easy AF. But when you see a ret doing 100 dps and the rogues are in the 500-1000+ (depend what kind of gear you have i guess...) people are gonna complain.
    Well that would just be a bad ret, a geared ret can actually surpass a rogue if they get lucky with SoC procs. Again nothing in vanilla was hard, everyone was simply terrible.

Deleted
    [Local Defence 3] The crossroads is under attack!

Quote Originally Posted by orderschvank View Post
    As someone who has played on Vanilla servers. I wonder how blizzard will approach certain issues.

gear stat changes (lots of gear's stats changed over the course of vanilla)
    monopolies (was quite easy to create a monopoly of a necessary resource if you had the right group/organization to do it with)
    exploited (many things were exploited and never fixed, current vanilla servers fixed these exploits, I imagine blizzard will as well)
    node respawn rates

personally. all of the above had zero affect on my vanilla experience. I would not be apposed to a vanilla game with all the gear stats locked, all exploits fixed and the world built to accommodate a population of 3,000+.

for me vanilla was all about the community, no name changing. you had to behave. people had to communicate. no one looked at IL. most vanilla dungeons just required you do the mechanics and you were fine (just like nowadays but people want 950 IL for 890 intended content)

i'm sure there will be many open discussions with players about these types of issues.
    There does not need to be any discussions, that would ruin these servers. It would need to be an exact replicate of vanilla or it will not work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffeh View Post
    Actually I played from day one. What I meant about warrior is that they were the only tanks
    I played as Fury, I was one of the top DPS.

You did need good gear to compete though, I tanked before that.

Fury was insane in good gear, as was our aggro