Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    This expansion is such obvious filler. They're basically just buying time to develop the real next expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    Yet, overwhelmingly people here have stated they are tired of the god like levels of power and constant beating of god like beings and want to get back to simpler roots of being an adventurer.
    'Returning to the roots' means everyone suddenly losing ~50 iq points and damaging the world Deathwing style? You'd think veteran battlelords/archmages/etc. would be smarter than allowing this to pass. We could like... advise our not-so-wise leaders when they're making mistakes.
    Last edited by Sorshen; 2017-11-04 at 03:27 AM.

Lack of info = Blizz learning from past mistakes where people went hard at them for "cutting content".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    Yet, overwhelmingly people here have stated they are tired of the god like levels of power and constant beating of god like beings and want to get back to simpler roots of being an adventurer.
    The power decrease isn't the problem. I welcome that. What I don't like is the fact that they decided to end the faction war, only to reignite it later. What kind of writing is that?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nize View Post
    Lack of info = Blizz learning from past mistakes where people went hard at them for "cutting content".
    They cut content regardless. The same excuse was made for the Legion announcement (Which was far meatier than this), yet we had a zone get cut. Cut content is, sadly, an inevitability at this point.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildberry View Post
    Oh yes, I'm obviously just a big bad biased broken clock because I found the premise to be ridiculous, the teased features either uninspired or lazy, and am betting against the expansion's success.

The fact that you think it's "very unlikely" that this expansion flops tells me all I need to know. <3 I honestly almost miss WoD. the Blizzard Internet Defense Force got really quiet.
    No.

You're a broken clock because you stated the logic that "WoD looked shit, was shit" as if it meant something. There's a huge negative nancy bridge who always think the expansion, whatever it is "looks shit". Unless every expansion is perfect, sooner or later they get lucky, like you did with WoD.

Betting against a WoW expansion being a success is pretty much 100% perfect broken clock too, though, so thank you for adding that. I'm betting we'll see the usual 3-4m week one sales for this expansion, just like every one since Cata (before that it was lower).

The power decrease isn't the problem. I welcome that. What I don't like is the fact that they decided to end the faction war, only to reignite it later. What kind of writing is that?
    Is this a joke? Are you completely and totally ignorant of history? Wars end all the time, only to reignite a few years later. Sometimes sooner. Human history is full of this - I guess according to you, human history is "badly written".

10+ Year Old Account
    You can tell the faction war arc of this expansion come out of nowhere when in the entire legion expansion they made it seem like horde/alliance were allies for good.

Now all of a sudden its "take back Lordaeron" when the writers never built anything up to it at all.

I've never cared at all for the faction war so any other focus would have grabbed my attention more (I really wanted old gods) but apart from that I almost feel this wasn't really ready for an announcement? The cinematic was cool as always but it went downhill fast from there for me. I feel like there weren't many features listed or talked about, seems like we usually got more to talk about at past announcements. And the things I was excited about seem to be coming even before the xpac (scaling) so they don't even count. I also feel like it was a .. mistake to announce vanilla severs right before the xpac. I haven't been one that ever wanted those, but even I got drawn in and goose bumpy at the rewind cinematic, and then my excitement was put out with the rest of the show. I feel like that announcement could have come in a few months after everyone beats the new raid and we hit that lull where there isn't much excitement.

Quote Originally Posted by durrtygoodz View Post
    After every single expansion announcement, negative nancys flood to the forums in droves to make us as sad and as miserable as them.
    I raved about legion because the features they announced were actually exciting.

Very few things excite me about BFA. The writing seems contrived. A forced Red versus Blue conflict just for the sake of tickling the same boner that people seem to have for WoW Classic servers.

The game needs to move on from the senseless Alliance V. Horde bullshit. We have literally banded together to stop like fucking 5 world ending threats now. 6 if you count the fact that the Alliance and Horde worked together to take Garrosh down at the end of Siege. The factions continue to fight eachother because Blizzard thinks it's what's most marketable to their fanbase, but what they don't seem to realize is most of the people playing now never played their RTS games and don't give a flying fuck about the faction wars. We literally already did this story in MoP, which while it was a great expansion, was SUPPOSED to have taught the factions what happens when they start wars and destroy everything around them. But I guess our characters have rocks for brains because here we are again for some stupid reason.

In fact, there is precedent for the fact that underwhelming announcements at Blizzcon translates into amazing expansions.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think people are going to be pissed off about no artifact weapons. Once they opened that can of worms and forced it on the playerbase for two years its going to feel odd without them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I think people are going to be pissed off about no artifact weapons. Once they opened that can of worms and forced it on the playerbase for two years its going to feel odd without them.
    Not to mention the feature replacing it seems convoluted as fuck. Even the guy who was supposed to be explaining it in depth didn't seem to know wtf he was talking about half the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    I'm sorry, but the writing is taking a serious hit in quality if the next step after fighting against Sargeras is sending footmen vs. grunts, while dishing out random acts of senseless mass destruction - like burning down Teldrassil.
    On the contrary, things went to shit when they decided to play their Illidan/Demon Hunter card and make the Legion the focus on an entire expansion.

Maybe we'll leave the boring, cliche world-ending threats behind and go to a more dynamic and interesting story.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurhetemec View Post
    No.

You're a broken clock because you stated the logic that "WoD looked shit, was shit" as if it meant something. There's a huge negative nancy bridge who always think the expansion, whatever it is "looks shit". Unless every expansion is perfect, sooner or later they get lucky, like you did with WoD.
    It was a snarky quip to someone pretending like it was impossible to gauge expansion quality from an announcement. And no, I'm not demanding perfection. Also, it's not like WoD was the first bad expansion. Do you remember Cataclysm?

Betting against a WoW expansion being a success is pretty much 100% perfect broken clock too, though, so thank you for adding that. I'm betting we'll see the usual 3-4m week one sales for this expansion, just like every one since Cata (before that it was lower).
    Do you actually think that box sales matter in a sub based game? Were you one of those 5 people defending WoD?

"B-but muh box sales" white knights cried, as subs hemorrhaged out over six months.

Is this a joke? Are you completely and totally ignorant of history? Wars end all the time, only to reignite a few years later. Sometimes sooner. Human history is full of this - I guess according to you, human history is "badly written".
    Yeah, see here's the problem with that, and I understand we're dealing with some on the spectrum stuff, so I'll take note and walk you through it gently.

-Garrosh's War was started for legitimate reasons.
    -Garrosh's War is criticized by other Horde leaders.
    -Other Horde leaders eventually begin openly feuding with Garrosh as the war escalates.
    -By the time a state of total war is actually reached, the anti-war Horde leaders are against Garrosh. And again, this rift started over their criticism to his legitimate war.
    -Anti-Garrosh rebellion and an enemy power bring down Garrosh, basically eliminating the pro-war element from the Horde.
    -Shortly after, the faction, led by opponents of a legitimate war, participate in another war, much like the one they criticized (With less justification due to post-SoO peace settlements amending the Horde's resource issue)
    -escalates to a state of total war immediately.

Yeah, wow, that's totally like the overwhelming majority of wars in human history. You really got me there!

Quote Originally Posted by Brokeback View Post
    On the contrary, things went to shit when they decided to play their Illidan/Demon Hunter card and make the Legion the focus on an entire expansion.

Maybe we'll leave the boring, cliche world-ending threats behind and go to a more dynamic and interesting story.
    So maybe 9.0, then? Because Alliance versus Horde is as cliche as it gets in this game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shoc View Post
    In fact, there is precedent for the fact that underwhelming announcements at Blizzcon translates into amazing expansions.
    Oh, please provide some examples of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Servasus View Post
    So maybe 9.0, then? Because Alliance versus Horde is as cliche as it gets in this game.
    Maybe in this game. Big bad wants to unmake the universe is as cliche as it gets in fantasy, sci-fi, or pretty much anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Servasus View Post
    I raved about legion because the features they announced were actually exciting.

Very few things excite me about BFA. The writing seems contrived. A forced Red versus Blue conflict just for the sake of tickling the same boner that people seem to have for WoW Classic servers.

The game needs to move on from the senseless Alliance V. Horde bullshit. We have literally banded together to stop like fucking 5 world ending threats now. 6 if you count the fact that the Alliance and Horde worked together to take Garrosh down at the end of Siege. The factions continue to fight eachother because Blizzard thinks it's what's most marketable to their fanbase, but what they don't seem to realize is most of the people playing now never played their RTS games and don't give a flying fuck about the faction wars. We literally already did this story in MoP, which while it was a great expansion, was SUPPOSED to have taught the factions what happens when they start wars and destroy everything around them. But I guess our characters have rocks for brains because here we are again for some stupid reason.
    I'm not a big lore guy, I only really care about raiding and related mechanics. That said, it was fairly obvious we were going to have a "cooling off" period expansion. BFA has us lose our artifacts, recruit new allies and get back to a simple red=dead war. If we got the N'Zoth expansion people wanted, after that there'd be pretty much nothing left. At all.

MoP was largely marketed as a "Alliance vs Horde popping off at each other" expansion but turned out to have a lot of good lore and two fairly stellar raids in ToT and SoO, so I think there'll be far more lore depth than discussed so far. They specifically held back on all of the lore for the first raid and the Azshara raid as to not spoil the Zandalari quest line.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Brokeback View Post
    Maybe in this game. Big bad wants to unmake the universe is as cliche as it gets in fantasy, sci-fi, or pretty much anything.
    So we agree a faction war is cliche as fuck in World of Warcraft. K. Thanks, got it.

Oh, please provide some examples of that.
    Mists of Pandaria was dismissed as a joke and turned out to be a great expansion. Cataclysm and Warlords of Draenor were hyped up by amazing presentations but they turned out to be terrible. Legion was moderately hyped and moderately successful.

TBC and WOTLK released so little info during their announcement that they aren't relevant to this comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by durrtygoodz View Post
    I'm not a big lore guy, I only really care about raiding and related mechanics. That said, it was fairly obvious we were going to have a "cooling off" period expansion. BFA has us lose our artifacts, recruit new allies and get back to a simple red=dead war. If we got the N'Zoth expansion people wanted, after that there'd be pretty much nothing left. At all.

MoP was largely marketed as a "Alliance vs Horde popping off at each other" expansion but turned out to have a lot of good lore and two fairly stellar raids in ToT and SoO, so I think there'll be far more lore depth than discussed so far. They specifically held back on all of the lore for the first raid and the Azshara raid as to not spoil the Zandalari quest line.
    MoP was NEVER marketed as that. Wtf are you smoking? It was marketed as a mysterious asian-influenced land with Pandaren at it's center. You may want to go back and watch those panels because the Alliance and Horde war came in more organically in MoP whereas in BFA it's literally THE focus of conflict. In BFA, all the cool stuff like Kul'tiras and Zandalar are like side thoughts because they knew people wanted South Seas. They could have had a faction war land in any faraway places we haven't seen yet. It's all pandering. It's all contrived. It's taking random elements and trying to desperately piece them together in any way that can make even an ounce of sense.