Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Im worried about this expac.

am I the only one? Dont get me wrong,t he idea is great... i mean.. confusing from a lore perspective.. but at the same time the content that they've showed looks just like a carbon copy of legion.. and after the first month, legion was shite to me. Boring.

This expac the only things they've announced that im looking forward to are the new RTS pvp zones and the new scenario system with the islands.. other then that it looks to be the exact same.. world quests, an artifact / legendary mix.. campaign (im not to worried about this as long as there is no time gated quests) 7/10

The leveling zones them selves look great.. but WHY THE F*** are there only 3 per faction?? Do you know how boring that will be? I already cant stand to level a 3rd character through legion because of how linear the zones are and how boring the stories can get. This is even worse! we are finally going to the south seas.. and we have leveling scaling technology. they could have EASILY added more islands. We still have several in lore that we havent been to, or fully explored! Kezan is still around, plunder island anyone? Tel abim. Gilligigim. Hiji. And they could have easily added more.. I feel they clearly dont know what we are looking for in a leveling experience.. if they make this only 3 zones, the leveling better be damn fast. 3/10

and the races.. I wanted subraces, but it feels more like they are adding them as " extra races" when we wanted more or less cosmestic changes to our characters.. dark iron, wild hammer, grim totem, taunka, night borne, high elf, maghar, broken. etc... adding them as seperate races with thier own racials and such will take more time to make then just cosmetic changes to pre existing races.... but they did say more to come, so i dont know. we'll have to see.. Im happy about at least getting zandalari trolls. 7/10

This was just a first look and things can change.. but first impressions are very bad right now. I was very pumped, untill I saw the "whats next" panel... went from 10/10 to 5/10.

It probably feels like a carbon copy of Legion because both games are WoW.

Expeditions and warfronts weren't in Legion. They may end up being underwhelming, but they also may end up being really good.

The mythic+ system was one of the best parts of legion. It came after 2 expansions (and diablo) of trying to make 5-man content into relevant and challenging end-game content. Warfronts is their way of making use of the already developed garrison tech, and expeditions are the next iteration of scenarios. Both features are using tech that they have experience developing on. At the least they won't be as underwhelming as scenarios in MoP and garrisons in WoD. Also, this is the first time we're going to see AI in the game.

How many leveling zones would be enough? I don't think they should be worrying about designing the game around people being able to level multiple alts with a new experience every time. Leveling is a very small part of the game.

I said this in another thread, the whole thing kinda feels amateurishly generic.

It's as if Disney came out and told us that the title of Episode X of Star Wars was going to be called "Battle for the Galaxy" and the plot is going to be about the Rebels vs the Empire. =/

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    I said this in another thread, the whole thing kinda feels amateurishly generic.

It's as if Disney came out and told us that the title of Episode X of Star Wars was going to be called "Battle for the Galaxy" and the plot is going to be about the Rebels vs the Empire. =/
    So you think the name sucks. I guess they should have included more plot points in the title.

Quote Originally Posted by oland138 View Post
    So you think the name sucks. I guess they should have included more plot points in the title.
    I know you're being sarcastic, but ironically, yes - the name does suck (as does the basic premise), they should've included more plot points in the title AND the premise - that's my point - make the plot something else than "Hey, we're fighting!" like... include maybe a REASON we're fighting?

That's where World of Warcraft works better - when there's a main plot, and the allaince/horde are dealing with eachother while also dealing with this other situation. It's there's always a big stake, but our tensions make that situation more volatile. The war always seems better when it's intertwined within a plot involving us... not just "hey, lets fight cus REASONS!". >_<

Right now the whole thing feels like it was created (and presented) by some junior high school kid, and it's just not comming off well - regardless of how the quality of the content may or may not be. =/

Another analogy to use is from Blizzard themselves: Going from legion to this, so far, feels exactly how they followed a masterpiece raid like Ulduar with announcing... Trial of the Crusader. It had its merits, but... really? o_O
    Last edited by mvaliz; 2017-11-04 at 05:21 AM.

I know you're being sarcastic, but ironically, yes - the name does suck (as does the basic premise), they should've included more plot points in the title AND the premise - that's my point - make the plot something else than "Hey, we're fighting!" like... include maybe a REASON we're fighting?

That's where World of Warcraft works better - when there's a main plot, and the allaince/horde are dealing with eachother while also dealing with this other situation. It's there's always a big stake, but our tensions make that situation more volatile. The war always seems better when it's intertwined within a plot involving us... not just "hey, lets fight cus REASONS!". >_<

Right now the whole thing feels like it was created (and presented) by some junior high school kid, and it's just not comming off well - regardless of how the quality of the content may or may not be. =/
    Is this in any way a departure from how WoW has always been? I don't get how anyone would expect anything else from Blizzard.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

The story is shaky at best. While they'll probably do enough justifying and burn enough cities to whip people into a rage, it feels like a decided about-face from everything this game was about post-MoP.
    WoD we more or less worked together, Ashran aside. Legion we did work together, even though our factions were basically already sliding back into this war. And now suddenly I'm forced to join my faction in this war while Azeroth bleeds?
    Consistent storytelling would have been for us to say "yeah you guys have fun warring I'm gonna be over here saving Azeroth." And paint the war as stupid on both sides, where the winner inherits a dead world.
    But this is WoW, this game has 0 consistent storytelling patch to patch, let alone expansion to expansion.

And the content is a joke of WoD proportions. They're introducing level scaling to the old world, and THAT is so far this expansion's biggest draw. And that's a feature coming in 7.3.5, not 8.0. Then we have the Allied Races, who are all recycled NPCs or reskinned Players. Then we have the Islands and War Fronts which are both 100% conceptual still. We know how conceptual worked out for the Garrison. We all got excited and got a steaming pile of doodoo.

I can't imagine spending your entire 110-120 experience on Zandalar. Honestly I'd have accepted Kul'tiras blown up to a whole continent over Dinosaur Island.

Realtalk, though, Kul'tiras is AMAZING.

ALSO, no boat? In an expansion that's basically Battle for the Pacific? What's the deal!?

Amateurish is one word for this expansion. Phone it in filler is the phrase I'd use.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Is this in any way a departure from how WoW has always been? I don't get how anyone would expect anything else from Blizzard.
    After Legion - I kinda expected a lot more creativity, yes. Yes - it is actually a pretty fucking big departure, yes.

Kinda like how I expected something more from Cata after loving Wrath - but it failed

Kinda like how I expected something more from WoD after loving Pandaria - but it failed

On a side-note, this expansion is still enforcing me to believe in the idea there's two expansion teams there. Team suckass and team awesome. >_<

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Amateurish is one word for this expansion. Phone it in filler is the phrase I'd use.
    Hehe, I was just being polite for - as people commented - I haven't played it so I don't know fully. But, yeah, it reminds me a lot of Draenor ATM. Really phoned in. Even the islanders look... cheap. =/

Kul'tiras didn't look amazing to me. it looks like... well, a cheaply made Stormwind to me. =/

Same thing with the other zones... looks like Duskwood Light. As a friend of mine put it "What do we get instead? A fucking Celtic Bog" :P

Ironically, I think your "Dinosaur Island" is much better looking! It's colorful, with desert lands, little fox people, funky awesome turtle people, Egyptian Cobra guys and Titan Cities combined with Troll cities!

And that's the other thing that's bothering me. This was a big problem with Draenor/Pandaria - especially with the "Why are we going to Pandaria?" - nobody's really asking "why are we going to XYZ islands?" now in this story. either one half feels, as you say, "Meh, this looks phoned in" or the other half are "YAH WANT MOAR PVP WAR BLOOD YES!!!" and they'll be happy with anything really.

After Legion - I kinda expected a lot more creativity, yes. Yes - it is actually a pretty fucking big departure, yes.

Kinda like how I expected something more from Cata after loving Wrath - but it failed

Kinda like how I expected something more from WoD after loving Pandaria - but it failed

On a side-note, this expansion is still enforcing me to believe in the idea there's two expansion teams there. Team suckass and team awesome. >_<
    If you're going to compare this expansion's story to another expansion, you should compare it to the bare bones information we had after they were announced. We know next to nothing about what is going to happen. We barely know anything about how it starts other than that it does start.

I get that you're not that interested in the theme, but you're writing off the expansion based on very little information.

EDIT: ya this expansion is being presented to us as "LOLWAR" but legion was pretty much "LEGION INVASION WITH ILLIDAN".
    Last edited by oland138; 2017-11-04 at 05:48 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

Hehe, I was just being polite for - as people commented - I haven't played it so I don't know fully. But, yeah, it reminds me a lot of Draenor ATM. Really phoned in. Even the islanders look... cheap. =/

Kul'tiras didn't look amazing to me. it looks like... well, a cheaply made Stormwind to me. =/

Same thing with the other zones... looks like Duskwood Light. As a friend of mine put it "What do we get instead? A fucking Celtic Bog" :P

Ironically, I think your "Dinosaur Island" is much better looking! It's colorful, with desert lands, little fox people, funky awesome turtle people, Egyptian Cobra guys and Titan Cities combined with Troll cities!

And that's the other thing that's bothering me. This was a big problem with Draenor/Pandaria - especially with the "Why are we going to Pandaria?" - nobody's really asking "why are we going to XYZ islands?" now in this story. either one half feels, as you say, "Meh, this looks phoned in" or the other half are "YAH WANT MOAR PVP WAR BLOOD YES!!!" and they'll be happy with anything really.
    I have to agree on a lot of these points. It does feel rather...forced that we are just randomly going to these islands because the Alliance/Horde war has intensified. I imagine that yes Jaina would be more than willing to reach out and say "Hey, why don't you come help me out in Kul'Tiras and I'll get you a navy." and that part I get. But why the heck are the Horde just going to Zandalar - a place that we do not have the best relations with - in order to recruit an army? Where did they even get this idea? Does Vol'jin come back in spirit form and tell them to?

I enjoy the idea of an escalation of the faction conflict because honestly it's felt stupidly forced before. At least if the Horde burn down Teldrassil and the Alliance retake Lordaeron there is some actual blood shed now. Sylvanas won't take the loss of her city well and I'm sure Tyrande is screaming bloody murder in the Stormwind throne room. My big problem is I do NOT like the idea of this conflict being what takes us to the South Seas. I admit I wanted to see some N'zoth/Azshara shenanigans for an expansion. If this faction war (which we deal with EVERY BLOODY EXPANSION) somehow diminishes those story lines I'm sorry but that just seems like an incredibly stupid idea creatively from their team. Instead of a cool naval/void/naga/possibly titan inspired expansion we are going to be shooting each other with pirate cannons and voo'doo magic. Yeah, that's REALLY much more interesting.
    “The rains have ceased, and we have been graced with another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it.”

If you're going to compare this expansion's story to another expansion, you should compare it to the bare bones information we had after they were announced. We know next to nothing about what is going to happen. We barely know anything about how it starts other than that it does start.

I get that you're not that interested in the theme, but you're writing off the expansion based on very little information.
    I think that's the problem though. This expansion has such little information compared to others. Legion panel had so much more in it. It's worrying to see such little information following what we got from the previous Blizzcon's expansion panel.

10+ Year Old Account

Because the information they have given us was not enough. This is VERY little to get excited about! The Deep Dive was like swimming in the kiddie pool when it came to information depth. I basically knew (or could have inferred) everything they told us from what they had already said in the highlights of the expansion reveal.

If they want us to be interested in it we need more than what they are showing...because honestly at this point I am underwhelmed and I have never been underwhelmed at a Blizzcon reveal before. I loved the Mists reveal, I was...cautiously curious about Warlords (mistake), and Legion actually got me excited again. This? This stinks of the same thing I've seen before with some cool sounding stuff that I have no real clue over. The zones look great - no question. I actually love the Zandalar look for the most part. Kul'Tiras looks a bit too much like Howling Fjord 2.0 for me though.
    “The rains have ceased, and we have been graced with another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it.”

I am more than worried, from what i have read there is really nothing new to be excited for, well, at least for me. Just about everything listed is prettied up stuff already in the the game and repackaged as new. It looks as though WoW is in the toilet in terms of Blizzard priority....it feels (as a poster above me has stated)...amateurish....like next to no effort went into this expansion. Sub races are aesthetic...so for alot of people who already have all maxed level classes...theres no need for me to start another class just for a new race....and im thinking Blizzard thought the same way...so they throw in a Xmog reward for doing it.....otherwise i think alot of players might not even bother.

I also thought the next evolution of Artifact weapons was to create our own weapon/legacy....but Blizz opted not to....so now we start the expansion with crappy greens....huge let down.

overall there is nothing in the reveal that im excited for.....at least with WoD there were a few things i was looking forward too.....

Quote Originally Posted by Aevic View Post
    I think that's the problem though. This expansion has such little information compared to others. Legion panel had so much more in it. It's worrying to see such little information following what we got from the previous Blizzcon's expansion panel.
    That's the main thing that concerns me. I don't think they're as far into development as we want them to be. Based on what we got today, I feel like Antorus is going to last quite a while.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's the main thing that concerns me. I don't think they're as far into development as we want them to be. Based on what we got today, I feel like Antorus is going to last quite a while.
    I think I have another worry. The zones and dungeons seem far along - I'm worried that the systems themselves are going to be very, very shallow on release.

Speculation is that beta will start in February and release will be around September which means, yes you have legion for another year or so. I don't see how people think the game is almost ready. It doesn't have a lot of content in it. I feel like months and months of testing are still ahead.

EDIT: ya this expansion is being presented to us as "LOLWAR" but legion was pretty much "LEGION INVASION WITH ILLIDAN".
    Actually, no. We got Gul'dan comming out and ressurecting Illidan. We got a REAL PRACTICAL REASON for Demon Hunters showing up. We got a REASON for the Legion showing up. We got a REASON why we're comming together to fight the Legion. We got a REASON we went to these lands...

There's no reason for this - it's LOLWAR for no reason. Even LEGION INVASION WITH ILLIDAN has more story to it at its basic and you know it. Shit, you can just write LEGION INVASION and there's more premise... =/

If it was "JAINA SNAPS" or "SYLVANAS LAUNCHES HIDDEN PLAN" or something would be better... :P
    Last edited by mvaliz; 2017-11-04 at 05:57 AM.

Actually, no. We got Gul'dan comming out and ressurecting Illidan. We got a REAL PRACTICAL REASON for Demon Hunters showing up. We got a REASON for the Legion showing up. We got a REASON why we're comming together to fight the Legion. We got a REASON we went to these lands...

There's no reason for this - it's LOLWAR for no reason. Even LEGION INVASION WITH ILLIDAN has more story to it at its basic and you knokw. Shit, you can just write LEGION INVASION and there's more premise... =/

If it was "JAINA SNAPS" or "SYLVANAS LAUNCHES HIDDEN PLAN" or something would be better... :P
    Well they did say that "we don't know" who attacked first. There's clearly something they didn't want to spoil, but that came at the expense of it being perceived the way you perceive it. So fuck them for not pleasing everybody I guess, but that's inevitable.

EDIT: I'm not saying you're wrong, we just got a very limited presentation. I don't think the expansion should be written off, but that doesn't mean it's going to be amazing. The premise is in stone. They're not going to change it.
    Last edited by oland138; 2017-11-04 at 06:07 AM.

Well they did say that "we don't know" who attacked first. There's clearly something they didn't want to spoil, but that came at the expense of it being perceived the way you perceive it. So fuck them for not pleasing everybody I guess, but that's inevitable.

EDIT: I'm not saying you're wrong, we just got a very limited presentation. I don't think the expansion should be written off, but that doesn't mean it's going to be amazing. The premise is in stone. They're not going to change it.
    You see, that's the thing - I DON'T believe they're trying not to spoil something. Historically Blizz has sucked at that. The closest thing I can think of is the Theramore destruction and that was announced. I see no hint of them doing anything like that and history has shown that I can't TRUST them to do anything like that, or to do it convincingly that makes any sense. And given how uncreative we've seen so things so far with this expansion... Chances are if they do the "event" it will be from both sides. Teldrassil getting destroyed, and us attacking Undercity. I doubt it will be one first or the other. it will be both and just to make it "vague" - much like the whole Broken Shore invasion plot point.

Don't believe me? Ok, tell me at what point made Garrosh hate the Alliance? That's my point. He went from crying about his dad, to being proud his dad saved the horde, to....???.... to shouting "LETS SEE THIS ALLIANCE COWARD DWARF CRY!" with Bran Bronzebeard talking about Ulduar.

You see, that's the thing - I DON'T believe they're trying not to spoil something. Historically Blizz has sucked at that. The closest thing I can think of is the Theramore destruction and that was announced. I see no hint of them doing anything like that and history has shown that I can't TRUST them to do anything like that, or to do it convincingly that makes any sense. And given how uncreative we've seen so things so far with this expansion... Chances are if they do the "event" it will be from both sides. Teldrassil getting destroyed, and us attacking Undercity. I doubt it will be one first or the other. it will be both and just to make it "vague" - much like the whole Broken Shore invasion plot point.

Don't believe me? Ok, tell me at what point made Garrosh hate the Alliance? That's my point. He went from crying about his dad, to being proud his dad saved the horde, to....???.... to shouting "LETS SEE THIS ALLIANCE COWARD DWARF CRY!" with Bran Bronzebeard talking about Ulduar.
    The broken shore events in the cinematic were unknown before that scenario was live.

I'm not defending their storytelling, but I really don't get why you're expecting something else from Blizzard. You're going to be constantly disappointed.