Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    All of my friends that want to go to vanilla servers never actually got to level cap in vanilla to begin with. Point is i wasted part of my life away raiding and farming honor in vanilla. The game wasent pretty, infact TBC refocused end game into something of actual worth. Half the specs where in a state of unplayability, while people now whine when someone pulls ahead 5%

Nobody that actually really played vanilla, wants to go back to what vanilla actually was. It was fun being a healstone, blessing of king buff back then, because we didnt know better, but we do now. Vanilla is trash end game wise. Vanilla server will be big the first month, then die down in a few months when the majority of people that never actually experience vanilla hit the level cap and notice they cant actually do anything, and depending on which patch end up being the default, they might be a useless spec to begin with and just quit out of noticing being in a raid to offer a single blessing and having a warrior do tripple your damage, might not be interesting gameplay. Or getting one shot in a bg by hardcore raiding warriors.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2017-11-04 at 12:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    All of my friends that want to go to vanilla servers never actually got to level cap in vanilla to begin with. Point is i wasted part of my life away raiding and farming honor in vanilla. The game wasent pretty, infact TBC refocused end game into something of actual worth. Half the specs where in a state of unplayability, while people now whine when someone pulls ahead 5%. Point is nobody that actually really played vanilla, wants to do back to what vanilla actually was. It was fun being a healstone, blessing of king buff back then, because we didnt know better, but we do now. Vanilla is trash end game wise. Vanilla server will be big the first month, then die down in a few months when the majority of people that never actually experience vanilla hit the level cap and notice they cant actually do anything, and depending on which patch end up being the default, they might be a useless spec to begin with and just quit out of noticing being in a raid to offer a single blessing and having a warrior do tripple your damage, might not be interesting gameplay.
    ^&
    Honestly i never did myself wellll till right before tbc. I had too much fun making alts and explorong tje world..and perhaps that is a big part. Those who raided and focus on endgame on average seem to not get it. But the leveling nuts/rpg fans seem excited

All of my friends that want to go to vanilla servers never actually got to level cap in vanilla to begin with. Point is i wasted part of my life away raiding and farming honor in vanilla. The game wasent pretty, infact TBC refocused end game into something of actual worth. Half the specs where in a state of unplayability, while people now whine when someone pulls ahead 5%

Nobody that actually really played vanilla, wants to go back to what vanilla actually was. It was fun being a healstone, blessing of king buff back then, because we didnt know better, but we do now. Vanilla is trash end game wise. Vanilla server will be big the first month, then die down in a few months when the majority of people that never actually experience vanilla hit the level cap and notice they cant actually do anything, and depending on which patch end up being the default, they might be a useless spec to begin with and just quit out of noticing being in a raid to offer a single blessing and having a warrior do tripple your damage, might not be interesting gameplay. Or getting one shot in a bg by hardcore raiding warriors.
    What, you don't like buffing 40 players one by one as a paladin? And then ~4 minutes later have to do it all again. You don't like playing Warlock and noticing that your dots aren't being applied because the boss reached the debuff limit?

Vanilla was great! /s

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Honestly i never did myself wellll till right before tbc. I had too much fun making alts and explorong tje world..and perhaps that is a big part. Those who raided and focus on endgame on average seem to not get it. But the leveling nuts/rpg fans seem excited
    Probably because back then you were too young to get into the end game proper. The new style of gameplay exploratiom was enough. But you have already seen this gameplay, how many alt can you level and not hit the end game now. People even imagine the leveling experience being slower than it actually was. If you really put effort, i did 1-60 in a single week in high school. Decades later, more people will hit the cap quicker then back then.

Once you get to that cap, the game is not what youll remember. It has no quality of life what so ever. Like i said people whine when a class gets ahead 5% in current end game. Whats gona happen when you realize some class do double, tripple your damage? How will these player handle still getting near one shot in full epic gear after a month of grinding? How many of you will even bother doing stuff like griding nature resist for weeks just to do a single first boss in AQ?
    Last edited by minteK917; 2017-11-04 at 12:16 PM.

Sure, leveling alts and exploring the world was fun. When it was new. But there is nothing to explore anymore. We have already explored the world in vanilla, doing it again 13-14 years later won't be the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably because back then you were too young to get into the end game proper. The new style of gameplay was enough. But you have already seen this gameplay, how many alt can you level and not hit the end game now. People even imagine the leveling experience being slower than it actually was. If you really put effort, i did 1-60 in a single week in high school. Decades later, more people will hit the cap quicker then back then.

Once you get to that cap, the game is not what youll remember. It has no quality of life what so ever. Like i said people whine when a class gets ahead 5% in current end game. Whats gona happen when you realize some class do double, tripple your damage? How will these player handle still getting near one shot in full epic gear after a month of grinding? How many of you will even bother doing stuff like griding nature resist for weeks just to do a single first boss in AQ?
    Level another? Play another game?

I mean frankly i have left my days of raiding what little i did behind me. I am in stuff for the world and story these days. And vanilla had a damn good world with pretty good lore up until they started retconning shit left and right(draenei mostly then but alot more come cata and moving forward)

I just know what i like and am looking for and vanilla fits it pretty well

I don't really get it either. Don't get me wrong, I too have fond memories of those Vanilla days. Getting a mount felt really special back then and raid felt more epic. But I was also pretty much still a child back then.
    Today, the thought of my 'raid night' consisting of standing outside of the boss's aggro range and rezzing people that died to boss mechanics that could not be survived does not appeal to me at all. Back then, it felt like a huge achievement to zerg a boss down like this. Today, it would simply feel obtuse.
    Plus, not only did my mindset change, but also my needs and wants. Back then I had no problem sitting in Ironforge for the better part of an hour, trying to get a group together and then spend 1-2 hours in the dungeon itself, for what was not even max level content. Yet, with a lot less time on my hands these days, I welcome being able to just queue up for something and have some fun.
    That, plus the classes and specs I am the fondest of today, which are more fun to play mechanically than those of vanilla, simply do not exist or are not viable in the latter.

But if people enjoy Vanilla servers, more power to them. I hope they add special token prices to those servers, so they can retain that option. After all, they can't easily get 300000 gold in vanilla, but that is just dress up. Gold would also be more valuable to token sellers after all, to prices should adjust.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adamzz View Post
    Sure, leveling alts and exploring the world was fun. When it was new. But there is nothing to explore anymore. We have already explored the world in vanilla, doing it again 13-14 years later won't be the same.
    I never saw it all and i took my time so a chance to explore the workd again imo.

Plus lets be honest here their was ALOT to see and do will take awhile to finish

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
    I don't really get it either. Don't get me wrong, I too have fond memories of those Vanilla days. Getting a mount felt really special back then and raid felt more epic. But I was also pretty much still a child back then.
    Today, the thought of my 'raid night' consisting of standing outside of the boss's aggro range and rezzing people that died to boss mechanics that could not be survived does not appeal to me at all. Back then, it felt like a huge achievement to zerg a boss down like this. Today, it would simply feel obtuse.
    Plus, not only did my mindset change, but also my needs and wants. Back then I had no problem sitting in Ironforge for the better part of an hour, trying to get a group together and then spend 1-2 hours in the dungeon itself, for what was not even max level content. Yet, with a lot less time on my hands these days, I welcome being able to just queue up for something and have some fun.
    That, plus the classes and specs I am the fondest of today, which are more fun to play mechanically than those of vanilla, simply do not exist or are not viable in the latter.

But if people enjoy Vanilla servers, more power to them. I hope they add special token prices to those servers, so they can retain that option. After all, they can't easily get 300000 gold in vanilla, but that is just dress up. Gold would also be more valuable to token sellers after all, to prices should adjust.
    Personally i vary but being a need/househusband with horrible social anxiety irl i don't mind it as much.

That said not saying EVERYTHING they added was bad but the world is the big draw.

And again maybe THAT is the difference the people who want the world they loved vs the raiders of old.

I played on Nostalrius for a couple of months before it was shut down. It was great. Why? Because it was fun. Retail WoW is also fun. But they're fun in different ways. I didn't care for any vanilla end-game when I played on Nostalrius, I spent all those months leveling 1-60. In retail WoW it's the opposite, I don't care for leveling, but I like the end-game.

Probably because back then you were too young to get into the end game proper. The new style of gameplay exploratiom was enough. But you have already seen this gameplay, how many alt can you level and not hit the end game now. People even imagine the leveling experience being slower than it actually was. If you really put effort, i did 1-60 in a single week in high school. Decades later, more people will hit the cap quicker then back then.

I think most ppl won't care too much if they manage to form an active 40 man, classes can still compete amongst themselves, and thats what it was really iirc, mages and rogues might have some competition being pures, locks I can't remember too much about iirc dots were great for ony (moar dots) different classes were better at different tiers but all that really mattered was that ppl could move from fire and press the 2-4 buttons they had that did anything useful. the main problem i think is retention once you've blown through the content you can do in 2-3 days, then you just boost alts for the rest of the week i guess.

ppl say that rets and booms and such were useless and not effective but the truth is it was always worth bringing at least 1 hybrid, pretty sure every 40 man worth its salt would have every buff and at least one of each spec regardless of its usefulness, if it could bring a unique buff, at least one person was that spec. the main problem was stacking rets and booms wasn't worth doing iirc. not that the specs were entirely junk noone used them, but that they stacked badly.

Vanilla was more a world, modern is more a game. I like to use what I read on these forums long ago: "The game back then was bad, but good. Now it's good, but bad."
    I like both version, each has its own selling points, but in honesty, they are two different games, aside from names of places, classes and skills, there is not much in common anymore.
    What I don't get, is why people are pissed off because some like this or that version more. It's a stupid argument.

I never saw it all and i took my time so a chance to explore the workd again imo.

Plus lets be honest here their was ALOT to see and do will take awhile to finish

- - - Updated - - -

Personally i vary but being a need/househusband with horrible social anxiety irl i don't mind it as much.

That said not saying EVERYTHING they added was bad but the world is the big draw.

And again maybe THAT is the difference the people who want the world they loved vs the raiders of old.
    Not really, there wasn't much to see and do. If you did loremaster pre cata you have seen pretty much everything and outside of leveling new alts all the time you only have bad instanced PvP and raiding which requires daily farming for mats to be competitive. Once you have all classes at 60, then what?

Quote Originally Posted by Infernix View Post
    'Tedious' does not equal 'challenging.'

There was NOTHING hard about Vanilla raiding or dungeons. Just time-consuming.

I can't wait til they do 40 man MC and have to clear trash to the bosses multiple times because the trash respawns after 30 mins.
    Naxxramas was challenging, I guarantee you're spouting nonsense without having defeated all of naxxrmas during vanilla. Go back to school.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adamzz View Post
    Not really, there wasn't much to see and do. If you did loremaster pre cata you have seen pretty much everything and outside of leveling new alts all the time you only have bad instanced PvP and raiding which requires daily farming for mats to be competitive. Once you have all classes at 60, then what?
    Then i play other games and pop in when i feel like it. Their are more games then wow ya know

Deleted
    I wouldnt go back to that even crap if someone paid me to do it. Terrible questing, tedious gameplay, simple and easy bosses, both in raids and dungeons. Terrible class balance, spec balance non existant. Grind grind grind grind.

I would love if they actually put up the early version, where paladins refresh blessings on 40 people every 5 minutes, spam decursive and flash of light whole boss fights, and wear cloth dress from strat because it is the only thing with +healing there is. Oh, and you cant do 4 horseman unless you have, was it 8 warriors with tanking 2p set bonus? Oh and then you need to grind and craft frost resist gear to do sapphiron and farm ghost mushroom whole day to do loatheb. And then watch the shitstorm when people go crazy because of it.

But before that you will need to farm forever to get 100g for mount, and that means run around on foot. Oh, and dont forget grinding mobs for hours to get stuff like gorilla giblets in stv, as well as to get that level you need to accept new quests because those you did werent enough to get you there.

Other than feelings i had because it was all new and awesome because it was my first time playing something like that, the game back then is just insanely bad, pure horror.
    Simple, tedious, grindy... but easy and limiting (classes, specs etc)... worst of everything. But hey, it was novel, so felt good. Now... not so much

Quote Originally Posted by Crushima View Post
    Naxxramas was challenging, I guarantee you're spouting nonsense without having defeated all of naxxrmas during vanilla. Go back to school.
    No it wasnt challenging. It was easy as hell with insanely easy mechanics. People were just bad. For thaddius we had addons that told you in nice female voice "go left" and had big red arrow on your screen pointing left... and we still wiped on it because people were just insanely bad back then. But it was simple and easy as hell. And i can guarantee you that i was raiding it back then during vanilla, in top 3 guild on server.
    Out of 40 of us, 25 of us were pulling our hair out because we couldnt understand how people can fail such easy mechanics... but it still happened. Doesnt make it challenging at all, makes people terrible. Those exist today too and they even wipe raid in LFR... doesnt make LFR challenging now, does it?

https://imgur.com/a/f75SZ

priest: beta, paly: vanilla
    Sadly, those are all sshots i have from then because i switched to EU later and deleted my first client. Only reason i even have those is because i sent them to friends to get them to buy and play too, and found them in my web mail. Oldest SShot remaining is 18/10/2004. If you want to try and call me a liar about playing back then.
    Last edited by mmoc93208f15ee; 2017-11-04 at 01:10 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by De Lupe View Post
    They should have named it World of Warcraft: Nostalgia because that's literally the ONLY thing it has going for it.
    Untrue. It is deeply immersive in a way retail will never be again. It also provides a challenge, which again, retail never will do for regular players.

how can content that hasn't been seen or rarely ran not provide a challenge while content that has already been cleared many times before and documented to death is still somehow going to provide a challenge, is time sink synonymous with challenge in this case or am I missing something. I don't understand how fresh encounters designed to challenge essentially your reaction time, has simply just increased over the years. while going back to a point before any of that increase is supposed to some how magically end up being more challenging than the state the game has slowly worked itself up to. i'm not seeing the correlation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    how can content that hasn't been seen or rarely ran not provide a challenge while content that has already been cleared many times before and documented to death is still somehow going to provide a challenge, is time sink synonymous with challenge in this case or am I missing something. I don't understand how fresh encounters designed to challenge essentially your reaction time, has simply just increased over the years. while going back to a point before any of that increase is supposed to some how magically end up being more challenging than the state the game has slowly worked itself up to. i'm not seeing the correlation.
    Because they hit harder are nore agressive and can run across elites that cab kick your ass if not careful.

Provided at level

Right now if at level nothings a threat in earlier levels

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Infernix View Post
    You care enough to respond, don't you, bro?

Older games are generally shittier games compared to the newer ones. Nostalgia makes people think otherwise, but that's just nostalgia and the yearning for the past.
    This is one of the dumbest things I've ever read. Congratulations.

I think its because people like different things for different reasons. I for the life of me cannot understand how people like ginger rich foods. But hey, some do, and I am alright with it.