Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Davemetalhead View Post
    I have no interest in raiding, or PvP, or even being at level 60. It's the journey that I want to experience again - to live in Azeroth as it once was, to see the sights and meet the NPCs like old friends.

Speaking for myself, WoW used to be all about the leveling and the world, not about raiding and PvP.
    Something they've focused a lot on in Legion, and BfA with scaling tech applied to the entire game. The game hasn't been raid-or-die or even instance-or-die for over a year now.

BfA will even have randomized world content with more complex AI than anything the game ever offered before.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Something they've focused a lot on in Legion, and BfA with scaling tech applied to the entire game. The game hasn't been raid-or-die or even instance-or-die for over a year now.

BfA will even have randomized world content with more complex AI than anything the game ever offered before.
    I think you missed my point - it was about the leveling, NOT about being at the level limit and doing content. It was about dinging, getting that often usless talent point, it was about the miriad of stories around Azeroth that were self-contained, it was about taking weeks, months to level - not a few days.

The journey TO level 60, not being at 60.

Deleted
    The thing about vanilla for me, was that it wasn't all about the end game. People are thinking about classic servers without knowing that the leveling experience was a whole different thing back then. You didn't just rush to 60 as fast as you can, because there were things you wanted to do when you leveled up. Maybe you wanted to upgrade your gear or level up your professions. It was actually worth it to get a better piece of loot at level 40, which isn't the case right now. In current WoW, leveling is pretty much just a boring grind, as you use the same gear from start to finish pretty much, only upgrading a few pieces during the whole process. Professions are also pretty much useless and only serve as a way to make gold for the majority of people.

I'm not saying vanilla was better than current WoW, but it was an entirely different game and I sometimes miss it. Current WoW is pretty much 100% focused on end game and it's pretty much the reason why power creep is a thing these days. Every tier of gear has to feel like a huge upgrade so people aren't bored, which in turn makes all older content ridiculously easy and creates a world where you only have a few things to do. As a casual player I like the fact that gearing up alts is easy and you can skip the vast majority of content if you want to, but at the same time it makes the game feel bland when all of your characters are doing the same exact thing over and over again.

I'm really hyped for both the new expansion and classic servers though, definitely going to play both. Randomized islands with 3 man instances sound really nice, I hope they make them worth doing throughout the expansion. The problem with legion for me is that Broken Isles are pretty much dead, as the rewards for playing them are (for the most part) useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Davemetalhead View Post
    I think you missed my point - it was about the leveling, NOT about being at the level limit and doing content. It was about dinging, getting that often usless talent point, it was about the miriad of stories around Azeroth that were self-contained, it was about taking weeks, months to level - not a few days.

The journey TO level 60, not being at 60.
    Welp, Legion's been about the "journey" both in leveling AND at max level.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you want to know what I did during vanilla? What ever the fuck I wanted. Me and friends I made questing literally would just spend a day in taurenland fighting hordes till their big bois showed up and kicked our asses. By the time my skills got up during the start of TBC I would basically merchant. Buy mats and sell finished products (first in my raid guild with epic flying lol, they were Killing kael Thas and I was riding my nether drake and arther ray). I ran raids with people just for the sake of owning items. I had the mallet from the quest line for AQ, etc. I had a sulfuras, some epic dragon head, etc. When Cata introduced transmog, boi did I go ham for the short time I played that. Did city raids, organized city raids, got my ass handed to me in city raids.

I just did things for the sake of having fun. I made friends I just goofed off with. If their is any community on the legacy servers, it will be just fine, even if I only play for a few months to a year, I will be more than happy.

Coming from another nostalgia trip, Runescape introduced legacy servers. Yes they are actually updating it now as a reboot of sorts, but they still have the main game (which is microtransaction hell)
    Played for a year. Did all the old content I remembered, experienced the spoopy underground pass, mournings end part 2, and had way more gear money and levels than I did as a kid. Even was killin abby demons which would make a 11/12 year old greymane shocked! Its now its own game, but for a while was just an off set of servers. Nothing wrong with legacy.

I quit wow cause it was not an MMO to me anymore. It was a single player game with a lobby and open world leveling experience. No time to just be a goof, no one wantedf to go off the beaten path in Cata. No one talking in LFG dungeons was the last straw for me.

Nostalgia and "Simpler" and slower paced game. A lot who want it never got to experience it. So I'm sure they'd like to. For a while :P

Thinking back to corpse running my way to FPs still haunts my dreams. Leveling as a Tauren prot warrior wasn't the same as it is now.

Nobody bitching about anything to do with flying will be playing either. Wa-wa-wah we have to play the game to fly. Wah.

Back in my day we walked from town to town on foot. And in knee deep snow. With only uncommon quality boots.

I quit WoW this year, but man oh man Sylvanas lookin' hot. Lol. May even try Classic in a year or two if it's out by then with a friend or two I met way back when.
    Last edited by Sastank; 2017-11-04 at 02:23 PM.
    Prot Warrior 2004-2008. Hunter 2008-2018.
    Retired boomer.

Quote Originally Posted by Snakus View Post
    I'm really hyped for both the new expansion and classic servers though, definitely going to play both. Randomized islands with 3 man instances sound really nice, I hope they make them worth doing throughout the expansion. The problem with legion for me is that Broken Isles are pretty much dead, as the rewards for playing them are (for the most part) useless.
    Dead to you personally? Fair enough.
    Dead as in no people around and nobody doing it? Not the case. They're adding the scaling tech to the entirety of the game world now, with some limitations to not kill "progression" of your character entirely.

I still believe they should've just made the old world scale to 120, that'd make it so that even Elwynn Forest mobs wouldn't feel trivial to a max level unlike in all the previous iterations of this game.

Only reason I bash this is that it's superwasted resources imo... I want the game to evolve, I've done Vanilla.. can we please move on forward instead of backwards?

But yeah.. the 100 people that like this will probably have fun.. the others that THINK they like this will get bored their asses off within 2 months and come crawling back to the present time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawon View Post
    Only reason I bash this is that it's superwasted resources imo... I want the game to evolve, I've done Vanilla.. can we please move on forward instead of backwards?

But yeah.. the 100 people that like this will probably have fun.. the others that THINK they like this will get bored their asses off within 2 months and come crawling back to the present time.
    Their revenue from WoW is insane (billion-figure), I highly doubt they'd do this if it would impede on their work in any shape or form.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Do you want to know what I did during vanilla? What ever the fuck I wanted. Me and friends I made questing literally would just spend a day in taurenland fighting hordes till their big bois showed up and kicked our asses. By the time my skills got up during the start of TBC I would basically merchant. Buy mats and sell finished products (first in my raid guild with epic flying lol, they were Killing kael Thas and I was riding my nether drake and arther ray). I ran raids with people just for the sake of owning items. I had the mallet from the quest line for AQ, etc. I had a sulfuras, some epic dragon head, etc. When Cata introduced transmog, boi did I go ham for the short time I played that. Did city raids, organized city raids, got my ass handed to me in city raids.

I just did things for the sake of having fun. I made friends I just goofed off with. If their is any community on the legacy servers, it will be just fine, even if I only play for a few months to a year, I will be more than happy.

Coming from another nostalgia trip, Runescape introduced legacy servers. Yes they are actually updating it now as a reboot of sorts, but they still have the main game (which is microtransaction hell)
    Played for a year. Did all the old content I remembered, experienced the spoopy underground pass, mournings end part 2, and had way more gear money and levels than I did as a kid. Even was killin abby demons which would make a 11/12 year old greymane shocked! Its now its own game, but for a while was just an off set of servers. Nothing wrong with legacy.

I quit wow cause it was not an MMO to me anymore. It was a single player game with a lobby and open world leveling experience. No time to just be a goof, no one wantedf to go off the beaten path in Cata. No one talking in LFG dungeons was the last straw for me.
    I'm just excited i get to see the ols world i haven't seen aince 2010. Also the zelda ungoro quests :3

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    I'm just excited i get to see the ols world i haven't seen aince 2010. Also the zelda ungoro quests :3
    Lets make a guild!

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
    The irony is palpable.
    Wow, you're still whining. It's not my fault that you suck at warrior.

the only reason i would ever try a vanilla server or privat one is to experience the old zones once again, the ones changed by cataclysm. For nostalgic reasons. But i am pretty sure that the classic servers we gonna get aint gonna have them. Its gonna be the current game with less features. Doubt we even gonna get the old talent system. Just removal of lfg tools, heirlooms and shit like that.

15+ Year Old Account
    Lets make a guild!
    Maybe. I actually want to try and raid though. I'm thinking undead mage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dekkers View Post
    One of many reasons is:
    Server community.
    You get to know the players on the server and build a name for yourself.
    Entering a battleground and seeing a Rank 14 High Warlord warrior wrecking everyone.
    People become notorious.
    The world feels alive.
    I will never forget Billbob the tauren and bobbill the troll I battled during Vanilla/TBC. (actually their names) They were world PVP rivials to me, I got my revenge on them though. Beating their asses in outland!

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe. I actually want to try and raid though. I'm thinking undead mage.
    Ewwwwwww smelly

I think a good overview of the philosophy used in Classic (that is different than Live) is the Blizzcon 2005 Dungeon panel : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud9h8UpcC4E and the Raid panel : Dungeons panel : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Falm0H7VEiQ.
    The world is bigger with some places most people can't visit, classes having unique roles in raid is more important than raw balance, the pace is slow to allow crowd control, and people always take the path of least resistance so you can't make their life too easy or they won't feel satisfied.

Of course this is not perfect (you could see a raid visited by only 0.1% of players as a huge waste of resource) but it feels better for some people.

A thing I also like in WoW classic is quests that ask you an item made by a profession. Given you can only choose 2 professions, you had to either buy it at the AH (but it's often expensive) or somehow find the ingredients and ask a guy to make it for you. Or how you need a blacksmith for enchanter's rod. It's small details some see as pure grinding/inconvenience, but it's part of the magic.

15+ Year Old Account
    I will never forget Billbob the tauren and bobbill the troll I battled during Vanilla/TBC. (actually their names) They were world PVP rivials to me, I got my revenge on them though. Beating their asses in outland!

- - - Updated - - -

Ewwwwwww smelly
    Pshh why? Also i hope they bring back wall jumping so i can go under stormwind again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pshh why? Also i hope they bring back wall jumping so i can go under stormwind again.
    Or into Mt Hyjal.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Nostalgia is strong. I am excited to play this shit for a few weeks. Gonna live and breathe this shit for a few days right as it launches. Yeah I'll never touch it again after that but it's going to be fucking amazing for it while it lasts.

You telling me you never said "shit man I wanna play old Pokemon" or some shit? I know I did. Nostalgia is fucking great.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

Deleted
    In vanilla you could actually die. Also, you would understand the numbers. "Wow, A 1200 crit, incredible!" There's also the thing about character progression. You felt it. You would actually feel the difference when you would level up, new spells, getting a new weapon, instead of having loot thrown at you left and right, it would mean something and you could feel it.