Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dr2022 View Post
    Is there a reason that a movie can't have the majority of its cast be black?
    Why are only a handful African and most of them are British or America?

When you think of African culture does beyonce jump into your mind?

- - - Updated - - -

also isnt it racist to cast black people as animals?

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Why are only a handful African and most of them are British or America?

When you think of African culture does beyonce jump into your mind?

- - - Updated - - -

also isnt it racist to cast black people as animals?
    I'm sorry you are angry at a movie for having mostly a black cast.

"already?" was my first thought. but i mean if it's good then who cares?
    Last edited by Lex Icon; 2017-11-04 at 08:06 PM.

Deleted

A remake of The Lion King with part good actors and part pop culture icons.
    How bold of them.
    But who cares, right? It's going to make billions anyway

I'm sorry you are angry at a movie for having mostly a black cast.
    Not at all, just calling the corporate bs for what it is.

And nice work ignoring the African stuff. I see American superstars qualifies. Good chat.

And nice work ignoring the African stuff. I see American superstars qualifies. Good chat.
    Oh you want me to argue? okay, when you think of African culture, does John Oliver and Seth Rogan come to mind?

Considering there is no way to improve on the original, I'm not looking forward to them tarnishing it with this new piece of dreck. And you can trust me on this, dreck it is going to be.

Oh you want me to argue? okay, when you think of African culture, does John Oliver and Seth Rogan come to mind?
    No it doesnt. Whats your point?

No it doesnt. Whats your point?
    Then stop fixating on the black cast not being the right kind of black.

Honestly, The color of cast should have never been a point to argue about it.

Then stop fixating on the black cast not being the right kind of black.

Honestly, The color of cast should have never been a point to argue about it.
    They should have all been african. If they are gonna beat me over the head with remakes and replace the likes of Jeremy Irons then give me something unique and authentic not fucking beyonce and seth rogan.

But yeah its Disney. Money is all that matters im not surprised

They cast an English actress for Belle, a French character. Should be highly offensive to you, no?

Or maybe it's because they're making an English language movie by an American company. It's the same reason they get Latinos playing terrorists and Jim Caziviel playing Jesus. The film industry has a lot more depth in the U.S. and England. African cinema can be seen as nascent, at best, and Africa's biggest stars tend to move to the U.S. or Europe to work.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    They cast an English actress for Belle, a French character. Should be highly offensive to you, no?

Or maybe it's because they're making an English language movie by an American company. It's the same reason they get Latinos playing terrorists and Jim Caziviel playing Jesus. The film industry has a lot more depth in the U.S. and England. African cinema can be seen as nascent, at best, and Africa's biggest stars tend to move to the U.S. or Europe to work.
    Its not that its offensive, its just obvious what they try to do. "Look how diverse we are". Absolutely Bella should have been french but did they? No. Emma Watson of Harry Potter fame is a more easy box office sell so again they went with the easy predictable option and made a billion dollars

Its not that its offensive, its just obvious what they try to do. "Look how diverse we are". Absolutely Bella should have been french but did they? No. Emma Watson of Harry Potter fame is a more easy box office sell so again they went with the easy predictable option and made a billion dollars
    Well yeah. You resent movie makers for putting bonafide stars in roles to get more draw?

How do you think that Passion of the Christ movie would have done if they got all Palestinian actors to play them?

Can you name a French actress besides Marion Cotillard? Should she have played Belle?

All that seems silly to me. These are good stars. Should Marvel start casting no-names to play their superheroes too, because that's more authentic? Hell, when TFA came out, people bitched about the newness of Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, and Oscar Isaac (even though Isaac was a huge star in Mexico). And that's Disney too. I guess you can't win, if you're Disney, is that what you're saying?

Also, if you have doubts about Donald Glover, check out his work as the rapper Childish Gambino.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    why is 90% of that cast black? also, is going to be renamed "The Lion Kangz"?
    Why is 90% of LOTR white?

- - - Updated - - -

I didnt say they werent talented. Well Donald Glover is questionable, his character in community I never found very funny or interesting.

And cool Beyonce can sing. I'm sure she got the role for her vocal talents and not her popularity.

And awards dont mean much to me you are right. When Rihanna and Bieber can win grammys also and louis ck gets a emmy every year
    If you hate entertainment so much then why bother commenting on it?

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Well yeah. You resent movie makers for putting bonafide stars in roles to get more draw?

How do you think that Passion of the Christ movie would have done if they got all Palestinian actors to play them?

Can you name a French actress besides Marion Cotillard? Should she have played Belle?

All that seems silly to me. These are good stars. Should Marvel start casting no-names to play their superheroes too, because that's more authentic? Hell, when TFA came out, people bitched about the newness of Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, and Oscar Isaac (even though Isaac was a huge star in Mexico). And that's Disney too. I guess you can't win, if you're Disney, is that what you're saying?

Also, if you have doubts about Donald Glover, check out his work as the rapper Childish Gambino.
    Are you saying disneys casting team couldnt find a talented brunette french actress if they tried? Why does it always have to be a bankable star? Thats hardly a fail safe anyway, people like tom hanks bomb all the time.

You named examples of success with new names yourself with star wars, and people dont complain about daisy ridley being new, they complain about the character being a mary sue so yes you can win.

- - - Updated - - -

It doesnt even have to be a new actor or whatever. Just take some creative risks or be faithful to the source material if you are gonna remake classics to try make another billion off of peoples nostalgia

They complained about her non-stop prior to the movie for being new, and they complained non-stop about her being a Mary Sue (wrongly so, imo), after the movie.

It seems like people just complain when it's not a white guy in a thing.

And sure, Disney could have found a brunette French actress for Belle in B&B.......but then it wouldn't have made as much money, and Emma Watson is a fine actress. What the fuck is wrong with a movie maker saying "Hey, here's a good actress, who fits the role of Belle's character except she's not French, and she's a huge star as well!"

I mean, as a brown man, I don't understand this. Latinos have been playing the roles of my people for years. Only in the past 10 years have ANY South Asian actors risen to any prominence, like Dev Patel, and more recently comedians like Aziz Ansari and Kumail Nanjiani. Do I resent Hollywood for casting more recognizable people? Not really. Didn't care about that Gods of Egypt movie casting Christian Bale, and I don't care about Beyonce playing an African lion.

It's going to be weird as hell not hearing Rowan Atkinson as Zazu.
    It became clear that it wasn’t realistic to try to get the audience back to being more hardcore, as it had been in the past. -- Tom Chilton

They complained about her non-stop prior to the movie for being new, and they complained non-stop about her being a Mary Sue (wrongly so, imo), after the movie.

It seems like people just complain when it's not a white guy in a thing.

And sure, Disney could have found a brunette French actress for Belle in B&B.......but then it wouldn't have made as much money, and Emma Watson is a fine actress. What the fuck is wrong with a movie maker saying "Hey, here's a good actress, who fits the role of Belle's character except she's not French, and she's a huge star as well!"

I mean, as a brown man, I don't understand this. Latinos have been playing the roles of my people for years. Only in the past 10 years have ANY South Asian actors risen to any prominence, like Dev Patel, and more recently comedians like Aziz Ansari and Kumail Nanjiani. Do I resent Hollywood for casting more recognizable people? Not really. Didn't care about that Gods of Egypt movie casting Christian Bale, and I don't care about Beyonce playing an African lion.
    Well thats a shame when people write off new actors just for being new. You would hope the actors/actresses get the job on merit and are suited for the intended film the director wants to make. My original point was that the casting reeked of "better play it safe and hire a load of black people" corporate diversity quota bullshit so the film isnt dead on arrival from media backlash.

And beyonce and seth rogan just doesnt interest me. And it will be the most play it safe remake scene for scene cashgrab ever. If it was some dude I had never heard of called Ato'Eko I may have been interested in what direction they were taking it

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    Not a fan of Beyonce, but I wouldn't skip the movie for one person. I looked up the younger actors, I can't exactly put jd McCreary's voice to "I can't wait to be king" but I have zero doubts that Disney would've brought him in if he didn't nail the song for them behind closed doors.

I'll go see it simply because I loved the original, but I've skipped the rest of the remakes, with the only other live action movie I have any interest in being Aladdin.

Cool that they brought back James Earl Jones. But how the fuck do you not bring back Jeremy Irons for Scar? Mother fuckers.