[QUOTE=DeadmanWalking;47825467]Not to be offending but medals don’t really mean anything. The only thing that means something is winning or losing. They could take medals completely out of the game and it would only make the environment better. I don’t know how many times I have heard someone ask another player to swap to something that would win the game and the player not only refused to swap but throws out their medals like it is their dick. Much like their dick they take way too much pride in it and nobody really cares to see it.
    “You guys suck.”
    “Dude, we asked you to get off Genji because they had 4 people that countered you because they ignore deflect, Doomfist, Mei, sym and Winston. We needed a tank and we lost because they were constantly killing you.”
    “I got gold damage!”
    “Did we win? No? Nobody cares about your medals. We only care about winning.

- - - Updated - - -

So the genji is being countered by 66% of the opposing team and yet he still has gold damage? what the fuck are the other dps even doing then? and you ask him to change despite doing the most damage?

Hey can we have our top damage dealer change please this is not working the low dps and stay tho. lolololololol.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffyfluff View Post
    So the genji is being countered by 66% of the opposing team and yet he still has gold damage? what the fuck are the other dps even doing then? and you ask him to change despite doing the most damage?

Hey can we have our top damage dealer change please this is not working the low dps and stay tho. lolololololol.
    doing dmg without killing anyone and feed ulty for their healers isn't useful. But still other dps sux or try to do what they have to. barrier dmg is not counting to dmg done.

Its like junkrat has gold dmg but they have Pharah and Mcree in your team is useless. you know you doing good but you cant beat Pharah. In this situation, you should switch to Soldier 76 so you can kill her. Even when you have gold dmg, If you don't kill Pharah she will kill your healers and you will lose even when you had gold dmg on junkrat.
    Last edited by mmoc2ce944bfe1; 2017-11-03 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Allora View Post
    doing dmg without killing anyone and feed ulty for their healers isn't useful. But still other dps sux or try to do what they have to. barrier dmg is not counting to dmg done.

Its like junkrat has gold dmg but they have Pharah and Mcree in your team is useless. you know you doing good but you cant beat Pharah. In this situation, you should switch to Soldier 76 so you can kill her. Even when you have gold dmg, If you don't kill Pharah she will kill your healers and you will lose even when you had gold dmg on junkrat.
    i highly doubt that someone with gold damage has zero kills especially playing as genji with his quick bursty combos and one hit slashes

have you never seen a junkrat kill a pharah? If your doing "good" why doesn't the other dps change to counter her?

Or is it that when u see pharah you need all dps to change to hitscan immediately. ok we all changed and lost our ults and have a soldier and mcree now to take out the pharah oh but oh wait now they have genji what do we do now? change again ? lolololol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Allora View Post
    happen many times with 2 healers in team
    Then the healing is being split further. I don't actually see anything inherently wrong with it, aggressive Hogs, especially when there's no other tank to shield them, and when they flank off alone a lot, are going to take a shit ton of damage and they'll back off to self heal a lot. I'd be worried about how many people are farming ult from you though.

[QUOTE=Fluffyfluff;47827832]
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Not to be offending but medals don’t really mean anything. The only thing that means something is winning or losing. They could take medals completely out of the game and it would only make the environment better. I don’t know how many times I have heard someone ask another player to swap to something that would win the game and the player not only refused to swap but throws out their medals like it is their dick. Much like their dick they take way too much pride in it and nobody really cares to see it.
    “You guys suck.”
    “Dude, we asked you to get off Genji because they had 4 people that countered you because they ignore deflect, Doomfist, Mei, sym and Winston. We needed a tank and we lost because they were constantly killing you.”
    “I got gold damage!”
    “Did we win? No? Nobody cares about your medals. We only care about winning.

- - - Updated - - -

Doing the most damage obviously in my example didn’t help win the game, especially when Mercy is involved who erases damage and deaths. Just because you are doing damage doesn’t mean you are killing the right targets like healers, or killing at all. I would prefer to have someone do less damage so long as they are applying all that damage to the healer rather than to a tank. For example Reaper could do 2 shots into a mercy and kill her for 175 damage or do 300 into roadhog and he laughs it off while healing himself. But thanks for being a perfect example of someone who thinks gold medals mean something when they mean jack squat.
    If you push a button that finds you a 'random group' and it gives you a random group of people with random skill and random knowledge then you have no right to complain that a 'random group' button did what it was designed to do. The fault lies in your inability to make friends to play with instead of relying on a button designed to be random. It is a 'random group' button, not a 'best of the best' button.

I outheal certain heroes on Roadhog when it's stompy games in either direction pretty often, it's not that weird depending on the map, especially if there's a Sombra or something too.

Medals are an odd system though and I'd really just prefer some regular scoreboard with more information, but it's probably too late for that with how the community is currently.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    when someone who isnt DPS brings up medals its usually zenyatta (who can do ridiculous amounts of damage at close range) or a tank bragging about their gold medals they got not defending their team.
    As I stated in the same post you snipped, I agree that most of the time medals mean nothing; however, they are still a decent indicator of who is doing what and can show a gap in what people are doing. Saying Zen can do a lot of damage up close is correct, but comparing that to a Junk who can do a lot of damage almost anywhere (as long as they know how to aim and know how to angle grenades) and comparing damage is an indicator that maybe, MAYBE, that Junk should switch to someone else.

- - - Updated - - -

[QUOTE=DeadmanWalking;47831610]
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffyfluff View Post

Doing the most damage obviously in my example didn’t help win the game, especially when Mercy is involved who erases damage and deaths. Just because you are doing damage doesn’t mean you are killing the right targets like healers, or killing at all. I would prefer to have someone do less damage so long as they are applying all that damage to the healer rather than to a tank. For example Reaper could do 2 shots into a mercy and kill her for 175 damage or do 300 into roadhog and he laughs it off while healing himself. But thanks for being a perfect example of someone who thinks gold medals mean something when they mean jack squat.
    True, in your example it did not, but there are examples where it does. That's where the debate comes from.
    Put simply, you can't say medals mean nothing on a loss but then say they do on a win. For example, someone picks 76, they have good enough aim that they are keeping pressure up on the enemy team (and possibly a kill or 2) that prevents an enemy push or allows you to hold the point, they end with gold damage and silver kills. That medal shows he did his role while also being a benefit to his team.
    As stated, this is not always the case and I tend to agree with you more often than not, but there are still those times where medals do mean something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    As I stated in the same post you snipped, I agree that most of the time medals mean nothing; however, they are still a decent indicator of who is doing what and can show a gap in what people are doing. Saying Zen can do a lot of damage up close is correct, but comparing that to a Junk who can do a lot of damage almost anywhere (as long as they know how to aim and know how to angle grenades) and comparing damage is an indicator that maybe, MAYBE, that Junk should switch to someone else.
    junkrat, know how to aim lol

But still I just see the whole system as pointless. For the few times it really is used correctly to analyze performance, it doesn't outweigh the number of times it is used to be a dilweed. Like, it really pisses me off when a Reinhardt talks about medals because you instantly know they have not been doing their job.

Triggers the fuck out of me when a Reinhardt is swinging and smashing and their shield isn't even cracked or they haven't landed a really good earthshatter. Reinhardt can definitely do some custodial work but so many of them are just terrible beyond belief and attempt to perform these feats at great expense of their team.

It's like, the D.VA bomb goes off and you're in a bad spot and you're like its OK we have reinha- XxLOL NOPE GIT GUD - COURTESY OF SWAGLORD420MEMESxX *Snoop Dogg's Thug Life plays in background*

There have been games where I got maybe 14 eliminations in one round but only died two or three times and got no medals because I didn't want to be caught out of position as McCree ganking enemy staggers.

But still I just see the whole system as pointless. For the few times it really is used correctly to analyze performance, it doesn't outweigh the number of times it is used to be a dilweed. Like, it really pisses me off when a Reinhardt talks about medals because you instantly know they have not been doing their job.

Triggers the fuck out of me when a Reinhardt is swinging and smashing and their shield isn't even cracked or they haven't landed a really good earthshatter. Reinhardt can definitely do some custodial work but so many of them are just terrible beyond belief and attempt to perform these feats at great expense of their team.

It's like, the D.VA bomb goes off and you're in a bad spot and you're like its OK we have reinha- XxLOL NOPE GIT GUD - COURTESY OF SWAGLORD420MEMESxX *Snoop Dogg's Thug Life plays in background*

There have been games where I got maybe 14 eliminations in one round but only died two or three times and got no medals because I didn't want to be caught out of position as McCree ganking enemy staggers.
    And as I said, I agree with that for the most part. The reason this topic got started is that I pointed out people are now using it as an excuse for why they played bad. "Well, it doesn't matter I couldn't hit anyone because, lol, medals don't mean anything!"
    And yes, good Junks know how to aim their grenades and know the best way to bounce it around corners. They know how to lead targets and get the most damage per bounce. Bad Junks will just fire aimlessly and miss about 99% of their grenades hoping to get lucky. Aiming also allows Junks to be able to scare the shit out of people as they can get in a lot of enemy's faces where others will die if they try. Aiming with Junk is every bit of a thing as leading with 76.
    Last edited by Eapoe; 2017-11-03 at 06:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    when someone who isnt DPS brings up medals its usually zenyatta (who can do ridiculous amounts of damage at close range) or a tank bragging about their gold medals they got not defending their team.
    Speaking as a Zen main (still haven't placed this season, too busy with Destiny 2), the ONLY time I bring up medals in comp is if I'm playing Zen and I have gold/silver hero damage done. Because if Zen has it, the DPS players aren't pulling their weight; they're being outperformed by a healer.

While Zen does a lot of damage for a healer, his Discord orb boosts everyone's damage on the target, and he cannot keep up with a reasonable DPS player.

The point is that if you're spending your time running around the backline with Genji and occasionally diving and failing to get a kill, you're not helping, and the healer's doing more for the push than you are.

As a DPS, your job is to put pressure on the enemy and get picks. If your supports are providing more pressure and getting more picks, you have to ask what you're doing wrong. Being too cautious and spending your time hiding rather than shooting? Getting killed constantly because you keep charging in like Leeroy Jenkins? Spending all your time shooting at, and missing, the enemy Pharah, because you're playing Mei or something?

Zen can do okay damage, but he only steps up into "good" through Discord, and that boosts everyone just as much as it boosts himself, so it isn't an excuse for your team DPS to be falling behind.

https://youtu.be/MDXsA9uGm-Q?t=7m18s

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't play competitive tonight. It's just awful. One match against a booster McCree with Mercy customer up his ass, next match Hanzo declares after round 1 he needs to go. Not worth it.

10+ Year Old Account
    5v6, 56 eliminations, 3 deaths. Still not enough to win.

It's like you need an aimbot to carry some people.

https://go.twitch.tv/playoverwatch

What the hell are these colors.

Looks super confusing to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's nice because of the monitor i'm using atm. its so hard to see anything.

USA whoopin up on that ass tho

- - - Updated - - -

lame

USA lost because no one on their team can play widowmaker

[QUOTE=Eapoe;47834290]As I stated in the same post you snipped, I agree that most of the time medals mean nothing; however, they are still a decent indicator of who is doing what and can show a gap in what people are doing. Saying Zen can do a lot of damage up close is correct, but comparing that to a Junk who can do a lot of damage almost anywhere (as long as they know how to aim and know how to angle grenades) and comparing damage is an indicator that maybe, MAYBE, that Junk should switch to someone else.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post

True, in your example it did not, but there are examples where it does. That's where the debate comes from.
    Put simply, you can't say medals mean nothing on a loss but then say they do on a win. For example, someone picks 76, they have good enough aim that they are keeping pressure up on the enemy team (and possibly a kill or 2) that prevents an enemy push or allows you to hold the point, they end with gold damage and silver kills. That medal shows he did his role while also being a benefit to his team.
    As stated, this is not always the case and I tend to agree with you more often than not, but there are still those times where medals do mean something.
    I never said medals mean something on a win, I said they mean nothing ever except to make people feel better about themselves when they lose because they refuse to acknowle3dge that they had a part in that loss. The only thing that matters is winning or losing and anyone who tells you medals prove they were good players are just covering their egos and refuse to man up and take the L.
    Last edited by DeadmanWalking; 2017-11-04 at 06:40 AM.
    If you push a button that finds you a 'random group' and it gives you a random group of people with random skill and random knowledge then you have no right to complain that a 'random group' button did what it was designed to do. The fault lies in your inability to make friends to play with instead of relying on a button designed to be random. It is a 'random group' button, not a 'best of the best' button.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    I bought 3 golden weapons just from this season alone. All you have to do is play the game. Doesn't really matter what rank you are as end of season rewards are just icing on an already full cake.
    I'm calling BS on that. Maybe you did but i mean, you need 200 wins to buy a golden gun. thats 600 WINS, not games played. if you won 600 matches, you probably played more than twice that and that seems unlikely as that is a shitload of time.
    Intel i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz | Asetek 550LC 120MM Watercooler | MSI Z97 PC MATE | XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB | ADATA 16GB DDR3-2133MHz XPG V3 |
    1TB WD Caviar Blue | 128GB Sandisk Z400S SSD | NZXT Phantom 410 | EVGA 750W SuperNova G1 80+ GOLD | External 2TB WD Elements

[QUOTE=DeadmanWalking;47860936]
    Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post

- - - Updated - - -

I never said medals mean something on a win, I said they mean nothing ever except to make people feel better about themselves when they lose because they refuse to acknowle3dge that they had a part in that loss. The only thing that matters is winning or losing and anyone who tells you medals prove they were good players are just covering their egos and refuse to man up and take the L.
    I used the example of winning vs losing because others throw those medals around on a win.
    As Endus stated, if you have gold damage as a Zen, then yes, your damage dealers are doing something wrong. That medal means something. It means your damage aren't pulling their weight and/or could signify they should swap. They could be getting hard countered, maybe they aren't hitting the right targets.
    That medal means something and is not there to inflate Zen's ego, as he shouldn't be gold on damage.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaamila View Post
    I'm calling BS on that.
    Cool story.

But you also get currency from losses, not just wins.
    Last edited by Kelimbror; 2017-11-04 at 08:40 PM.
    BAD WOLF

I actually got PotG with Mercy! I couldn't believe my eyes! I don't think I got a Mercy PotG since her rework.

Basically I happened to be on point when I popped ult, and because the teamfight was slightly off-point I flew back to the point to heal long ranged after rezzing 2 people because it was safest there. It was a low quality KotH game with not much happening and my team eventually losing.

Seriously though they need to fix how they evaluate Mercy's performance. Mercy should never be encouraged to stand on point, let alone pop her ult while standing on point. Especially now that she is more mobile she should be the last person capping a point. Blizzard should change the algorithm to only take into account her targets, so if she heals 3 people that are on point while she is not, she should get full credit and go on fire.