15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    correct, but.

All mainstream phone companies cater to "lifestyle bloggers" more than techies, rather.
    Which is the primary reason you don't go for them.
    The only thing good about mainstream phones is that you have great support*, despite hurdles. Sony was on a good track, but their phones weren't popular enough with their niches, so they stopped being a niche and became mainstream and immediately irrelevant to everyone and no one bought a Sony ever again. But at least mainstream finally adopted ip classifications.
    There are still good phone companies out there, who don't try to cram useless lifestyle junk or siri/Google now/proprietary software down your throat. But they are all larger than 5".
    Yes, I'm ranting but it just sucks.

* provided you haven't modded or rooted your phone. Which you should.

- - - Updated - - -

Just about the only thing I don't feel I need to upgrade in my current build is my mobo/cpu and SSD.
    RAM, computer case and GPU are the most pressing, in that order.
    But upgrading within DDR3 right now seems so pointless.
    But I am only running 12 GB and it hasn't been enough for a year now, I can barely play games without closing all secondary executables. It's gonna be an expensive 2018 for tetrisGOAT.
    Ryzen 2.0 or Threadripper 2.0 depending on the pci-e lanes on the former, volta, all the ram, living room "console replacement". gaming pc..
    What do you guys have against large phones? I love my Nexus 6p.

I still need to get a ssd for my computer. I think I will wait for cyber monday.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Phone size is kind of just preference. It's why iPhone SE exists and Xperia XZ1 Compact exist. People like different things.

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly speaking, I kind of stopped performance hunting and went with what's practical to me and suits me well. Whether it's phones, PSUs, GPUs, whatever.

- - - Updated - - -

Speaking of niche, it's kind of cute for a little weird robot.

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    What do you guys have against large phones? I love my Nexus 6p.
    I find large phones unwieldy, less comfortable to use, and they don't fit in pockets as easily. Nexus 5 / Pixel (not XL) are about as big a phone as I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Speaking of niche, it's kind of cute for a little weird robot.
    I can't look at that and not see HAL's eye.

Iphone SE is anything but small, though.
    It has a small screen but those bezels.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm... Having better performance in a SoC makes everything smoother and since it has to work for a shorter period of time you can also usually increase battery life. To be honest I don't even care that much about the performance difference between the Exynos line and the Snapdragon line, I care about the battery life difference. The Exynos 8890 S7/S7 Edge lasts 40% longer than the Snapdragon 820 one for example. And the Edge with its relatively large battery lasts me at least 2 days. I charge it twice per week, that's the best battery life I've had with a smartphone in recent years.
    Having a good battery life while also having a shit display and being slow af isn't exactly mesmerising imo, and once you get used to what Samsung offers you in terms of display quality and build quality it's hard to use anything else. Can you find better battery life somewhere else? Probably. Can you find better battery life while keeping the test at the same level? Nah.
    Apple is the only other company offering as good if not better hardware, and they've finally moved to OLED. The iPhone X has everything to be one of their best selling devices.

10+ Year Old Account
    I miss plasma. They had just started to get it perfect.
    Yeah, those who were fortunate enough to buy the last few great models in 2013 (Like the F8500 or the ZT60) are still happy to this day. Plasmas are still #1 when it comes to sRGB FHD content, and since mostly everything is still in this format the TVs are all still great.

There are a bunch of hard-core videophiles who still keep their Pioneer Kuro Elites, those were real beasts too.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    WoW Classic my friends. 8)
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    WoW Classic my friends. 8)
    I KNOW I AM SO FREAKING HYPED THIS WILL BE SO GREAT

yep caps lock deal with it system

10+ Year Old Account
    I KNOW I AM SO FREAKING HYPED THIS WILL BE SO GREAT

yep caps lock deal with it system

GOGOGOGOGO

for reeeaaalll
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    Is there an explanation"
    For this? Do you need one, really?

Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    Oh exciting. LFM 10m 45m baron?
    Unsure since I haven't played vanilla in 10 years or so, but I believe the change to shrink/disallow raids in 60 instances happened before the introduction of tier 0.5 quest lines. Either way, you weren't able to do quests in raids.
    Ubrs became 10 from 15 right?
    Either way, I am shaking. I have refused private servers for vanilla because they haven't been official. That has been important to me. I want to have it all at once with no teasing myself with playing here or there.
    This. Is. Going. To. Be. Great.
    I will likely play the new expansion, too. But not as much. More like a side hobby.

For sure, my life was different too. And that part I am nostalgic about for sure, but the game.. Not so much.
    Wow was the game I signed up for. As it was. What it has since become... Not so much. The trouble is, current wow is stil the closest to that that I've found. Until now. Finally, I won't HAVE TO quest to level. Where the game isn't binary to whether you are max level or not; there are actually 60 levels of it.
    The difficulty is trying to narrow down what I want to play until then... I have missed Blizzard-levelling and stance-dancing so much, but also down-ranking as a healer. And devouring plague shadow priest was fun in pvp, if you managed to kill them before you were oom. Loved hunter until it became mainstream, also played rogue. I enjoyed Prot paladin (best healer and dps for paladin) but I won't go alliance (again!), and I had two warlocks, one per faction (rank 14 and 5 respectively).. Mage or warrior? Arcane/frost, 31/5/15 warr or perhaps rank 4 HT/innervate-bot? Decisions..

==

To be quite honest. I don't see them adding a wotlk style lfd tool. I sure hope they don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll probably be your healer priest.
    "A flower.

I'll probably be your healer priest.
    Mine?
    I bet the EU/US divide will still exist.
    I have so far recruited five people to play with, and four who are on the fence. Nine people who, among them, none of them play the live game. But loved vanilla.

What all the vanilla haters ignore, is that "I bet that no one playing today could x or y or without z" et cetera and "we who played in vanilla know it sucked and won't play it" discount that only those that loved the direction that wow went from vanilla stayed with the game from then; many of those who quit because the game took a new direction are potential re-recruits. And then regular wow wants to draw them back with the HvA conflict again. I like that approach.

I enjoyed Prot paladin (best healer and dps for paladin) but I won't go alliance (again!)
    My WoW main has always been a Paladin, and while i recall Prot being very good at aoe grinding, I don't recall it having any claim to fame when it came to healing. If memory serves, Paladin healing was ridiculous because of downranked FoL + Illumination (crit heals being refunded, Holy talent).

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I wonder what "classic" will entail. There have been so many changes since then, I can't imagine it will be an exact clone of Vanilla WoW. I suspect it will be a modern WoW engine with legacy content & rules/talents/etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mine?
    I bet the EU/US divide will still exist.
    I have so far recruited five people to play with, and four who are on the fence. Nine people who, among them, none of them play the live game. But loved vanilla.

What all the vanilla haters ignore, is that "I bet that no one playing today could x or y or without z" et cetera and "we who played in vanilla know it sucked and won't play it" discount that only those that loved the direction that wow went from vanilla stayed with the game from then; many of those who quit because the game took a new direction are potential re-recruits. And then regular wow wants to draw them back with the HvA conflict again. I like that approach.
    Exactly! It's part of what I was trying to explain to people in this big ol' post!

Ignorant, I can tell you never tried playing a private server.

Nostalgia hardly matters. It fuels the INITIAL drive, but soon matters little.

I played a private server last year and enjoyed making NEW memories, checking out places again with NEW people. While I did do all the questing on Alliance side that was available, save maybe a few in a couple different zones in TBC and WotLK before they revamped all the zones, just because it's the same doesn't mean you can't make new memories. Every day. Every moment. You're making new memories.

Not to mention, Vanilla was not when most people who play now started, most people started in Wrath of the Lich King or later.

Thus... for MANY MANY MANY MILLIONS of people, if they try it, it will have NOTHING to do with nostalgia, it will be NEW content, just from a different point of view.

Think about it... for those who really like a challenge, trying to get the reputations up in that Vanilla essence instead of doing it now when it's much easier, working on your epic mount, the Paladin and Warlock chains, trying 40 man raids... these are things many people NEVER got to do, and will love to do.

For instance:

I joined in mid-TBC, January 2008, I made a point of getting Timbermaw reputation up to exalted prior to hitting 60 even, I also made a point of getting the Nagrand ogre-killing reputation up, getting the mounts in Halaa, getting the Winterspring Sabers reputation up, getting my epic mount by 60 instead of being a gold one, getting the PVP tiger, because screw ezmode! I wanted to show off being a priest healer PVPer! And wow, when I was questing through EPL with an old buddy from Australia in my guild, and an epic [Brain Hacker] dropped, we rolled, and I won, it was an amazing feeling.

Now very few things give me these feelings. Everything is very dished out in sample courses, reputation isn't a very tough thing to level up, and certainly mounts aren't hard to get anymore, unless you go for stupid hard ones where you absolutely have to depend on others to help you.

Anyways, I look forward to making new memories, as I did on the private server with both old and new friends, again, on Blizzard servers, no less!

- - - Updated - - -

More than 100 thousand people who were playing on Nostalrius and pushing end-game say otherwise.

- - - Updated - - -

People like you were already proven wrong with Nostalrius, and people like you were also the ones saying Blizzard "can't and won't!" bring Vanilla servers about.

Do you want to be proven wrong 3 times? Really? Come on now, just because YOU didn't like it, doesn't mean I didn't like it, doesn't mean these others didn't like it.

Sure, Vanilla may be good for just a few % of the WoW population, but most of that few % aren't subscribed anymore. If Blizzard can get those subs back (and they would in my case) through Vanilla servers which would require far less maintenance? Then you better believe they'll do it. It's money! It's... EASY money.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by Alindra View Post
    My WoW main has always been a Paladin, and while i recall Prot being very good at aoe grinding, I don't recall it having any claim to fame when it came to healing. If memory serves, Paladin healing was ridiculous because of downranked FoL + Illumination (crit heals being refunded, Holy talent).

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I wonder what "classic" will entail. There have been so many changes since then, I can't imagine it will be an exact clone of Vanilla WoW. I suspect it will be a modern WoW engine with legacy content & rules/talents/etc.
    Well, in fairness, I was talking mostly about PvP there. You stood and healed for a bit, letting the reckoning count up and then wha-blaff someone. You rarely needed a deep investment in Holy to heal; 21 pointer was Consecration iirc, and Holy Shock, the 31 pointer, only did damage, no healing at first.
    Given that BoSalv was the only pre-greater blessing with a longer duration than 5 min (if you were deep prot) and they also got BoSanc (and later Kings when it was moved from ret 31-pointer), many were prot for healing in PvE too. As well as Ret.. until they moved BoKings.

EDIT: And yes, pre-Vashj Illumination was fantastic. Loved that to bits.
    EDIT 2: I've always been fond of Paladins - the only 110 I have two of right now is Paladin. I have one of all the others (so 13)
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2017-11-04 at 07:58 PM.

I fall in the middle, there were things about Vanilla that I lament being gone, but others I can't imagine drudging through again. On the other hand, there are some changes made since that have made the game a lot more fun / accessible, but others where I think "man, what were they thinking?!" Some examples:

Vanilla
    Pro: Strong social bonds, pressure to behave well,
    Con: Massive time sinks, 40 man raids

Modern
    Pro: Lower time barrier, more interactive combat, interesting content for smaller groups (Mythic+ would have been perfect for my guild in Vanilla)
    Con: Selfish/toxic behavior, constant grind made it feel like any time that wasn't spent on my main was wasted, really pissed off with Legion's Retribution remake
    Unsure: If I look back to what I would have wanted in Vanilla, something like the Weapon Artifacts and Titan-Forging would have been great. I was in a small guild that did the easier/smaller raids, so being able to get upgrades through content I was able to repeat was great. If I look at myself in Legion proper, it was very annoying because I felt like any time that wasn't spent improving my main was being wasted / I was falling behind. I liked being able to attend raids and spend my off time on other things (like mount farming, etc), but I always felt like a drag while doing that. Not sure what the solution to that is.

As for HvA... at this point in the game I can't help but roll my eyes at it. I can understand why they're pushing it, and I can understand that peace between Alliance and Horde wouldn't be healthy for the game, but I feel like after saving the world, and cooperating with the other faction - how many times now? - that shit would be settled by now.

On the plus side at least it's not Orcs. Downside, it sounds like there will be Trolls. Damnit. :P

- - - Updated - - -

Well, in fairness, I was talking mostly about PvP there. You stood and healed for a bit, letting the reckoning count up and then wha-blaff someone. You rarely needed a deep investment in Holy to heal; 21 pointer was Consecration iirc, and Holy Shock, the 31 pointer, only did damage, no healing at first.
    Given that BoSalv was the only pre-greater blessing with a longer duration than 5 min (if you were deep prot) and they also got BoSanc (and later Kings when it was moved from ret 31-pointer), many were prot for healing in PvE too. As well as Ret.. until they moved BoKings.

EDIT: And yes, pre-Vashj Illumination was fantastic. Loved that to bits.
    EDIT 2: I've always been fond of Paladins - the only 110 I have two of right now is Paladin. I have one of all the others (so 13)
    Ahh, I gotcha.

I can't remember how many points Consecration was - I thought it was 11 points and Holy Shield was 21 in Prot. It was something like that. I played an odd tri-spec where I had Holy Shield, Consecration, and Seal of Command. I liked being flexible with and I really missed the loss of the "5th man" role in dungeon groups. The one where you dpsed if all was well, helped heal if the healer was getting swamped, or - if need be - pick up stray mobs and tank them until the main tank could pick them up. I soloed, dungeoned, raided, and PvPed with that spec (no dual specs and respeccing was expensive, yo).

I can't remember if I had Reckoning or not - but if I did, I never properly managed Reckoning charges, alas.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alindra View Post
    On the plus side at least it's not Orcs. Downside, it sounds like there will be Trolls. Damnit. :P
    I hope these Trolls are less annoying.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    More people should play Path of Exile.
    "A flower.