Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Void Elf Origins Revealed

https://twitter.com/TheRedShirtGuy/s...39397173719040

Once again, Red Shirt Guy comes to the rescue. Exiles make way more sense than a sudden high elf population out of nowhere. The question is, what caused 'em to be exiled? Dabbling gone wrong?

Well at least we now know that Void Elves aren't just "High Elves" by the back door, or something that's supposed to placate the demand for them.

7+ Year Old Account
    It just seems strange for exiling people for dabbling with Void... I mean they are allied with Forsaken that raises dead and uses dark and void magic like it's candy.

Hopefully we will get more details than "they are exiled blood elves that dabbled with void."

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Makes sense they got kicked out of Silvermoon, especially if it happened after Nightborne got more accepted, they don't want a 3rd addiction story. And I don't think a Void addiction can be cured with a Holy/Arcane well, pretty much the opposite.

Now you might say "oh there's blood elf shadow priest" , well let's say they got their stuff under control, and those exiles had some more problems controlling it. or just Gameplay reasons, Void elf can be holy spec.

And Alleria is clearly the only one to teach them keep void in check. Post-Argus-Alliance.

In the end, I'm sure the questlines explain the full Allegiance for all the Allied races, they even said so in Q&A as people were asking about Nightborne/Highmountain Tauren.
    Last edited by Teri; 2017-11-05 at 09:43 PM.

Deleted
    That is not totally correct.
    He gets that info from a conversation with Alleria but she doesn't explicitly say "bloodelves" but "my kin". So it could be that they have been exiled before the consumption of fel crystals in BC started which turned the High Elves to green eyed elves.
    The High Elves we have today are those who refused to use the crystals and thus were exiled from silvermoon.
    Void elves could be from this batch of elves but they searched for another source of magic insteaf of fel crystals : Void energy and thus becoming void elves. Finally Allria finds them and releases them from madness by teaching them her techniques.

So it is yet still not clear when the exile of void elves occour. Before the Fel Crystal thing or after. Before would make them technically high elves, after would make them blood elves.

Quote Originally Posted by Teri View Post
    Makes sense they got kicked out of Silvermoon, especially if it happened after Nightborne got more accepted, they don't want a 3rd addiction. story.

Now you might say "oh there's blood elf shadow priest" , well let's say they got their stuff under control, and those exiles had some more problems controlling it. or just Gameplay reasons, Void elf can be holy spec.

And Alleria is clearly the only one to teach them keep void in check. Post-Argus-Alliance.
    Honestly, it doesn't make any sense, considering we already 'have' Shadow Priests fully embraced by the Horde and Blood Elves.
    Garrosh: "LOK'TAR! HAVE A HAMBURGER."

I am The Burning Legion - Play Free Online Games

My post on the official WoW forums: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/...9330782?page=1

So Blizzard... please explain to us why you've concocted a race out of nowhere. This small 'crack squad' is an elven, void-wielding Seal Team 6 of Blood Elves, led by Alleria? I thought we were playing nations of races aligned with our faction, not special forces that can swap sides. It makes even less sense considering the expansion is all about faction identity in "Battle for Azeroth."

You've take a small subset of Blood Elves who are kicked out of Silvermoon City for tampering with the Void, and make a playable race out of them. The entire reason you've stated you haven't given the Alliance High Elves this entire time is that you said the population is too small, yet there are less Void Elves than High Elves. The Quel'dorei are mentioned as a separate race from Sin'dorei by Elisande. The Silver Covenant have tons of lore and storylines from WotLK through Legion and an actual army. You've put all this effort into differentiating High Elves from Blood Elves since Wrath of the Lich King in the story, and for what? Void Elves literally have no lore at all. They aren't even Void High Elves, they are Void Blood Elves. This is right up there with time-traveling, alternate-reality Orcs. There is no story you could write where this possibly makes any sense.

I'm sorry, but this is just atrocious lore supported by hideous reasoning. If you just didn't want to give Alliance High Elves then own it. That's fine. We'll make due. Give us Jinyu, Vrykul or something else that has a backstory where they don't just feel shoved in. Making up some race just because you don't want to add High Elves to the Alliance feels cheap and tacked on. No one who pays attention to lore in this game is buying it. You're trying to appease both sides, but all you are doing is pleasing no one. High Elf fans won't be satisfied and Blood Elves feel like they've had something stolen from them, quite literally. The least you could do is make Void Elves have a High Elf backstory to end this discussion about High Elves once and for all.

Reconsider how you're handling this, Blizzard.

Sources: The Jessie Cox interview with Ion Hazzikostas. Want to say it was at 1:14:45 https://www.twitch.tv/videos/187439128
    Red Shirt Guy https://twitter.com/TheRedShirtGuy/s...50770343751680

Quote Originally Posted by Infernix View Post
    Honestly, it doesn't make any sense, considering we already 'have' Shadow Priests fully embraced by the Horde and Blood Elves.
    Shadow priests and these guys are on an entirely different level, when Alleria intervenes they are on the brink of madness, she saves their hides. Why do people don't get that dabbling in the void is different than your average shadow magic.

There is a reason Alleria is mentioned as the only mortal to resist its call.

My guess is that these Void Elves are more Pale Orc than Shadow Priest. Shadow Priests don't consume external Void energies to become more Void. The whole idea behind their philosophy is a mirror to that of the Church of the Holy Light. They're already one with the Void, as it's a natural omnipresent force. So, Shadow Priests can just use their own natural Void nature that already exists within the dark pit of their souls. Which while connected to the greater Void, as all things are connected in their philosophy, is probably safer than literally sucking it straight from the teat of a Void creature like Alleria has done.

Alleria and the Void Elves aren't just Void practitioners who rely on the spark of Divinity within all to achieve power and wield Light or Void. They eat Void Revenant hearts and consume Naaru, altering their basic nature. Unlike Shadow Priests, they've taken something foreign into themselves.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KrakHed View Post
    My guess is that these Void Elves are more Pale Orc than Shadow Priest. Shadow Priests don't consume external Void energies to become more Void. The whole idea behind their philosophy is a mirror to that of the Church of the Holy Light. They're already one with the Void, as it's a natural omnipresent force. So, Shadow Priests can just use their own natural Void nature that already exists within the dark pit of their souls. Which while connected to the greater Void, as all things are connected in their philosophy, is probably safer than literally sucking it straight from the teat of a Void creature like Alleria has done.

Alleria and the Void Elves aren't just Void practitioners who rely on the spark of Divinity within all to achieve power and wield Light or Void. They eat Void Revenant hearts and consume Naaru, altering their basic nature. Unlike Shadow Priests, they've taken something foreign into themselves.
    That's a very nice explanation. Basicly they went past the threshold of power that it started to affect their mind, and alleria gave them intense training to prevent madness.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Keihndeth View Post
    My post on the official WoW forums: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/...9330782?page=1
    The only thing atrocius is the amount of care you give about pixels. Can't you just be happy and get over it? Or simply not play them?

Deleted
    I could not care less about edgelord elves going to the Alliance. Hordies get Zandalari and Nightborne, which are both cool and make sense, and Highmountain, who are just regular Tauren to me, but hey, all Tauren are fine in my book.

Aaaand the Allies get Dark Irons (actually great, might roll) and 2 super-lazy races with no prior lore and history, basically asspulled last patch. Sad, anything would have been better, the last 5 remaining High Elves, or some sect of Vrykul, hell, even mechagnomes would be more interesting then "oh look Draenei, but with golden eyes" and "oh look, discount Blood Elves with emo tendencies".

I think the red t-shirt went up to his head and now he is creating theories that he believes "his fame" will backup, while it is not true.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mcalexev View Post

Once again, Red Shirt Guy comes to the rescue. Exiles make way more sense than a sudden high elf population out of nowhere. The question is, what caused 'em to be exiled? Dabbling gone wrong?
    The Blood Elves just recently got over their addictions...stopped abusing the light...and are helping the Nightborne...so they feel like that qualifies them to be judging and have a holier than thou attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Shot89 View Post
    The only thing atrocius is the amount of care you give about pixels. Can't you just be happy and get over it? Or simply not play them?
    It hurts the entire WoW story. That's why I care.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rurts View Post
    I could not care less about edgelord elves going to the Alliance. Hordies get Zandalari and Nightborne, which are both cool and make sense, and Highmountain, who are just regular Tauren to me, but hey, all Tauren are fine in my book.

Aaaand the Allies get Dark Irons (actually great, might roll) and 2 super-lazy races with no prior lore and history, basically asspulled last patch. Sad, anything would have been better, the last 5 remaining High Elves, or some sect of Vrykul, hell, even mechagnomes would be more interesting then "oh look Draenei, but with golden eyes" and "oh look, discount Blood Elves with emo tendencies".
    A new flavor of waggle? >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Excellion View Post
    The Blood Elves just recently got over their addictions...stopped abusing the light...and are helping the Nightborne...so they feel like that qualifies them to be judging and have a holier than thou attitude.
    Or the fact that these guys became lunatics, due to their meddling with the void and as such dangerous to those around them and the blood elves usually interfere at that point.

That's a very nice explanation. Basicly they went past the threshold of power that it started to affect their mind, and alleria gave them intense training to prevent madness.
    Well, it's more that they've gone to the point where they've literally been physically corrupted. Probably in a way that can spread to and taint other Elves if they weren't careful. So they've probably been exiled as a quarantine measure.

Shadow Priests, on the other hand, are not really corrupted at all. They get a little odd, but those tentacles are only part of their shadow form. Most Void wielders, which includes Warlocks, don't wield it in a way that causes lasting mutations and corruption. Most Shadow Priests we encounter, that aren't Twilight Cultists, are basically sane.

10+ Year Old Account
    So the Blood Elves exile priests now?
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    Or the fact that these guys became lunatics, due to their meddling with the void and as such dangerous to those around them and the blood elves usually interfere at that point.
    If they were at the point where they lost their sanity...do you think they'd really have it together enough to join Alleria? I'd think the Blood Elves would end them rather than risk them being set out into the world and cause chaos.

The only logical reasoning is they dabbled into the void and like I said, the Blood Elves feel entitled to judge people despite them just barely getting over their shady history.