Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    It's called a shared demographic. If anything, it might actually increase the number of players playing the current version of WoW. Let's keep in mind that vanilla WoW only has so much content. There will be no expansion packs or patches, so it's limited to what players can do. People that return and start playing it will eventually run out of content and get bored, thus having a good chance of playing the current version because they want a little more Warcraft. Classic WoW is a win for both sides of the playerbase.

Quote Originally Posted by Tic Tacs View Post
    If they are planning to make vanilla servers that soon it says alot about current sub numbers, probably on a major decline.
    I read that current sub figures are less than 3M. If that's true...

If these servers can be changed from Vanilla to main game without much bullshit inbetween on the same monthly sub you can bet this will only help main game. Sure, some current players will play more Vanilla then current WoW but overall nobody who played past WoD is going to abandon their character. Whatever WoD numbers are mid Tanaan Jungle is the lowest they will ever go. For most of people playing current WoW, this shit is all they got.

Deleted
    No, i don't think it will impact retail, in the long run. First 2-3 months, perhaps but it will see a HUGH decline fast on classic. Most won't even reach lvl 30. Can only judge from the populations iv seen on kronos 1-2 and Elysium/nost.

pretty safe to say 8.0+ will have like nobody playing them compared to Classic

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shoc View Post
    Yes, but 2007scape is objectively better than modern Runescape. It's hard to argue the same in WoW, which has still preserved its core gameplay for the most part throughout it's life.
    And also has less than 100,000 people total playing Runescape.

Something like Runescape has kept those lets call them 'diehard-runescape players', the other pool who may have played have mostly left to play other things. Many of those diehard players preferred the classic runescape experience.

The pool for WoW isn't at such a level yet, there are still plenty of people who are not diehard players who just want to play WoW.

Essentially the Runescape players of today are a similar type of player to those who still play the likes of Age of Empires 1 over tcp/ip connections (with that defunct service that I cannot remember the name of).
    Speciation Is Gradual

If it's a big hit and everyone loves a particular feature of it they might create a modern version in a future expansion/patch, that kind of cross pollination of ideas happens. But personally, I very much doubt it.

I'm hoping they allow old achievements/mounts/etc to cross servers back to your main account. Like, I could finally go back and get some of the old feats of strength I missed out on.

But I'm guessing they won't do that either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    It depends on how Blizzard handles it. If it's legit just like a private server, then you don't need to worry. It will be popular at first, but it will quickly die. If it requires a sub, it will also quickly die.

However, I'm sure Blizzard will create some incentive or purpose to play on a Vanilla server, to make the experience worthwhile. If this is the case, then yeah, it could pull from the latest game.

It would be a stroke of genius on their part if they released this at the same time as the last raid of Legion, to give people something to play with until the next expansion comes out.
    I don't think it should be incentivised like that. People should play vanilla because they want to, not because they feel obligated to. Blizzard have openly stated that it doesn't matter if only a small group of people play vanilla long term. They'll be able to adjust the infrastructure (i.e. add more servers) if it turns out there are millions of players. There will be a lot of "tourists", including people like me. "Tourists" will both include people who actually played vanilla and just want to have a blast from the past, and people who joined WoW after vanilla who are curious about what it was like.

I couldn't handle playing 2 versions of WoW simultaneously on any serious level, I just don't have the time to invest. One is enough. I will play vanilla casually, I don't care for getting to level 60 and raiding. My priority will be the current WoW and my guild, unless something changes between now and then.

People should play vanilla because they want to, not because there's anything that makes them feel forced to do so. It should have nothing to do with current WoW. I do think it should be included in the subscription though - people can choose to pay for expansions, or have a subscription and play vanilla. Personally I'm hyped for both BfA and vanilla, but for me vanilla will be a side thing... a fun pastime when I just want to take a break from current WoW. I was so tempted to play Nostalrius when it was up back in late WoD when current WoW was boring me to tears, but I was put off by the fact that it was a private server and I knew it'd be closed down eventually.

So keep it separate, optional and provide a legit experience for everyone who wants it.

I honestly think we might see a Runescape situation happen with the Classic realms. There have been over 100 million WoW players over the years, if only a fraction of these people come back to experience the game they loved, Classic will be huge.

Yeah there will be tourists, but that happens with Retail aswell. I have leveled over 10 characters in Vanilla, and will be dropping in and out frequently.

Now IF Classic is a smashing success and challenges retail, there is a good chance that Blizzard will have to ask themselves some serious questions about the modern game. Either way, Im just happy to play Vanilla legit again.