Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zantheus1993 View Post
    you guys deserve 100% vanilla nothing else
    And I ll be happy to get it (way happier than if they make class and balance changes). However, the discussion about which patch we get in vanilla (eg progressive roll out of patches or only the latest patch before 2.0) needs to happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Almaric View Post
    No. Just you. Get a therapist. "Triggered" is not a real thing, it's called having a bitch fit.
    I'm using the term ironically

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zantheus1993 View Post
    you guys deserve 100% vanilla nothing else
    Which Vanilla? 1.0? 1.8? 1.10? 1.12?
    Looking for laid-back casual raiding on EU?
    Our community is looking for more players: Take a look and hit me up for info!

Quote Originally Posted by Erinhia View Post
    Sorry this topic is about UBRS. Not sure what you're talking about Strat, Scholo and BRD for.
    Do yourself a favour. Admit you made a mistake when you said Scholo and Strat went down to 10 man and not 5. That's the easiest way to move past this and get back to the discussion.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Having a playercap at all is actually kind of weird. Why not have the option to bring 20-30 players? Sure it would be easy as shit, but that would balance out given that the same amount of loot drops so alot more people will miss out on loot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Do yourself a favour. Admit you made a mistake when you said Scholo and Strat went down to 10 man and not 5. That's the easiest way to move past this and get back to the discussion.
    I didn't read the part where he brought up Scholo and Strat. Yes, I was replying too fast. This topic is about UBRS, so I was thrown a curveball when he wrote Scholo and Strat.

UBRS was 15 and then 10. Please see the quote and don't sidetrack with Scholo/Strat.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Acelius View Post
    Having a playercap at all is actually kind of weird. Why not have the option to bring 20-30 players? Sure it would be easy as shit, but that would balance out given that the same amount of loot drops so alot more people will miss out on loot.
    That's how it was at launch.

This topic is about UBRS, which is what Brack said. He mentioned nothing of Strat and Scholo. Please see the quote in OP!
    Sorry this topic is about UBRS. Not sure what you're talking about Strat, Scholo and BRD for.
    It really wasn't. Scroll up. They are referring to the post in which you replied "I mean, they weren't, that's the point. In 1.10 they were made 10-man, not 5-man." in response to Scholo and Strat. Which is a very legitimate point.

Deleted
    It's quite possible Brack simply got confused and meant those other dungeons in his example. He's one guy on a big stage having to remember things from 11 years ago, unlike all of us who can quickly look it up.

I don't think this has any meaning, firstly because Brack won't be dealing with these low-level decisions since he's an executive and secondly when actually making these choices they will easily see from the old code base how it worked.

You clearly don't see the point that everybody can do a mistake because of time / lack of interest and yes, even yourself so you don't need to be triggered/concerned about this especially when they're trying to determine what could be the best experience for you.

Deleted
    Well it's about vanilla so obviously larger than 5man.

The thing is it doesn't really matter if you set it up at even 40man. The loot amount is the same regardless of numbers and considering players are generally better the vast majority of groups would go 10 man. But if there bad they could just go 15man.

Oh i do hope they don't have mobs respawning in dungeons, that would suck and easier summoning :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malagan View Post
    It really wasn't. Scroll up. They are referring to the post in which you replied "I mean, they weren't, that's the point. In 1.10 they were made 10-man, not 5-man." in response to Scholo and Strat. Which is a very legitimate point.
    Yeah I added an edit. I thought he said LBRS and UBRS, I assumed that's what we were talking about and didn't read it properly.

Brack didn't mention Scholo and Strat, I have nothing to talk about on those.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Isiolia View Post
    You clearly don't see the point that everybody can do a mistake because of time / lack of interest and yes, even yourself so you don't need to be triggered/concerned about this especially when they're trying to determine what could be the best experience for you.
    I think that a Blizzard lead who is announcing the expansion should probably do some research before standing up on stage and using an example which is wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shedi View Post
    It's quite possible Brack simply got confused and meant those other dungeons in his example. He's one guy on a big stage having to remember things from 11 years ago, unlike all of us who can quickly look it up.

I don't think this has any meaning, firstly because Brack won't be dealing with these low-level decisions since he's an executive and secondly when actually making these choices they will easily see from the old code base how it worked.
    I hope that's the case it's just not a good first impression

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    So it begins... Which is the "the most vanilla-est" version of Vanilla? The 10 man? The 15 man? The 5 man?

"What about Stratholme?"

"Hey, my pally healer is unviable in Vanilla; fix it so I can be a holy paly! "

"Why don't we have a keyring; that was in Vanilla!"

"No no no, they added the keyring in 1.11; obviously the MOST vanilla vanilla patch was 1.10!"

"Why don't the Hakkari armor tokens require bijous like they did pre-1.11! The 1.11 version of just requiring a primal hakkari piece makes them too easy to get!"

...and so on and so forth.

The problem with Notalgia is that people will always remember it some way that it never actually was. If it's a private server, they assume that's because the private server is limited. If it's official WoW, they assume Blizzard "gimped" it in some way.

Funny how that is.
    Spot on. The whining will be glorious.

Great, now you guys will fight over which patch had the "real Vanilla experience".

Keep going, amuse me.

Quote Originally Posted by Shedi View Post

Yeah I'll second this. In fact, Game Directors at Blizzard occasionally contradict the Lead Designer for specific aspects of the game, and usually it's safe to go with the Lead Designers. They know what they're doing for their particular field, the higher ups aren't as involved in every little details of the game as the ones who actually design them.

If you asked me... they should create vanilla before the pre-expansion patch for TBC. This means that a lot of the annoyances were dealt with. Meanwhile we will not have many abilities we received in TBC.

Quote Originally Posted by Binki View Post
    I think you are wrong, it was 5 man capped in BC for sure, possibly changed even earlier. I do remember doing it with 10 people in vanilla, but then doing it many times with just 5 in BC. Then in pre-WoTLK patch everyone and their alt went there to get Jenkins title, it was 5 man back then for sure.
    According to patch updates it was 4.0.3 when it went to 5 man.

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

• Patch 6.0.2 (14-October-2014): Updated to a level 100 dungeon.
    • Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Converted into a 5-man dungeon.
    • Patch 3.0.8 (2009-01-20): No longer requires the Seal of Ascension to enter.
    • Patch 1.10.0 (28-Mar-2006): Capped at ten players.
    • Patch 1.3.0 (07-Mar-2005):
      • Capped at fifteen players.
      • Some Blackrock Spire bosses will now properly display their true level, instead of being considered world bosses (who do not display level).

Is anyone else triggered by J. Allen Brack repeatedly getting the capacity of Vanilla UBRS wrong? He said it at Blizzcon and repeated it again in articles like this one.

UBRS wasn't a 5-man capped instance until Cataclysm.

I sure hope Brack does a little more research if he wants to deliver AUTHENTIC vanilla experience :P
    At Blizzcon he said 15 and 10 man. Also, in his defense those dungeons had a lot of changes it's easy to forget which expansions things happen. I'm sure when they go through and figure it all up they are just going to go strictly by patches and not messing with things much.

Deleted
    I remember it running 15 most of the time, or 2 of each class for dungeon sets, those runs were the most common in my classic days.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanelis View Post
    And I ll be happy to get it (way happier than if they make class and balance changes). However, the discussion about which patch we get in vanilla (eg progressive roll out of patches or only the latest patch before 2.0) needs to happen.
    will likely be progressive and no rebalancing because that would screw with it being vanilla like post naxx content

i think that if they're gonna do it, they should do it legit. do it at the latest patch of the game, so most bug fixes are in and shit, and then change literally nothing else.

will it be a shitty experience for anyone not familiar with it? fuck yes. no ele sham, no disc priest, crap like that. but that's what has been called for, so that's what they should get.

what i expect they will do, is do the latest patch, with some modern updates like making all specs viable. it's just going to piss off the people that wanted vanilla servers, and it still won't draw in people from the modern age.

I'm not longing to play Vanilla personally, but if I was tasked to recreate it and try to make it authentic, I would settle on something like 1.12 as far as mechanics, talents, and QoL stuff, but in terms of content, I would ship it with everything minus ZG, AQ, and Naxx and any associated content. I think pacing the raid content is as important for recapturing the feel of classic as the content itself. Without events like the AQ war effort and gates opening, or the scourge invasion, it just won't be the same.

I don't see why they don't just invite the Nostalrius team and go from there...