View Poll Results: Will you Install the Authenticatoir Just ot Increase Your Bag Size?

Voters
228. This poll is closed
  • Yes

176 77.19%
  • No

52 22.81%
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    What is even going on in this thread.

⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Depends on the slot number, if it add 2-4 slots no i wont, if by adding it the backpack goes up to 30 slots then yes

I've got the authenticator since I had to move a few of my guilds around (nothing nefarious) a couple of years ago.

/shifts eyes around

I decided to keep it since it was nice to have the extra security, and it wasn't too much of nuisance.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I already didn't have one attached to my account (+sms protect) I actually would. For the pure reason that I am just that cheap to invest gold into buying something trivial like a bag.

But honestly I would have preferred that the original base bag size would've been increased by 10 or so slots, which would have been nice, rather then getting an app for the phone/tablet.

Besides, it's like being able to be in the 1st 3 ranks of a guild - you need an authenticator attached.
    Overall beneficial for various safty (everything is hackable, no question), sure - w/o the restore code or sms protect you are fucked if you loose you phone.

That's just my paranoia, but all of my accounts in various places which allow extra security have 2-layer authenticators already.

Quote Originally Posted by coprax View Post
    A normal 2-way authentication process, which only requires a code when if detects a login from another location is more then enough.
    But that's what the WoW authenticator does? (It does for me.)

It's not like there's anything of real value in a game account, is it?
    I would argue that people spend a lot of money to have a game account, along with a lot of time investment and nostalgia. You lose it all when a goldfarmer/seller hacks into your account and sells everything your character(s) have, even that which you spent real money on, all to make gold and send it to other accounts. Some things can be restored if the account can be retrieved but there will be things that are lost forever. Some might not care, but many do.

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    People said, in the early 90s that IPv4 was dead... Now, 25 years later, it's still alive and well..

IPv6 will eventually take over, but not until ISPs actually starts supporting it..
    They don't support it, because the need isn't big enough yet..
    The IP pool for north america was exhausted in August 2015. Most of those IPs are for commercial appliances/servers, not for private connections.

Every ISP is supporting v6. World IPv6 day was in 2011. Most are running dual stack. v4 is hanging on life support for a decade now, and will fade into nothingness soon. V6 will be able to assign a static IP to every device/connection (340 sextillions or sth?).
    Last edited by XDurionX; 2017-11-06 at 12:36 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonol View Post
    It's plain propaganda and advertisement, so my answer is no.

Btw, I use a WP 8.1 smartphone... but even if I had android or iphone, I would never ever install any applications relating to my WoW account. We have enough security and privacy issues already, since we all walk around with a microphone and camera with internet/satellite access in our pockets.
    I'm not going to dig you for your phone choices, but WP 8.1 is EOL since June. If you're concerned about security like you say, it might be worth a switch to a supported operating system, since you're not going to get security updates, patches or tech support for your phone from Microsoft.

Also when it comes to athorization, you could check what permissions the app reqiures before complaining. And block the ones you don't want it to have? Or use a operating system that blocks by default and the app has to explicitly ask for permissions (and you can choose to say no)?

Also, I can understand privacy and security concerns - but it seems your threat model is somewhat flawed. Who are you defending against? It seems a bit backwards to skip 2-factor authentication to increase security?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Blue View Post
    Yeah, that's what it does

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BanHammer View Post
    So what are its setting options? Can you set it to not ask anything at all?
    MY time is too precious to fuck around with that shit unlike some people here.
    Aye, Alright snowflake.

Your "Precious time" is a maximum of 10 seconds when you log in. Which is a hell of a lot less time then it takes to get an account restored if something does happen.

Maybe get over yourself a little bit and realize just how ridiculous you sound.

I don't know, I don't have it,
    If it only needs a code when logging in from different computers that's okay.

Seeing as I have had the physical authenticator for about 5 years now I wont have to. I got hacked back in WotLK, so picking up the authenticator was not even a question. These days you can even get it for free for your phone, I dont see why you wouldn't make your account more secure.

I would argue that people spend a lot of money to have a game account, along with a lot of time investment and nostalgia. You lose it all when a goldfarmer/seller hacks into your account and sells everything your character(s) have, even that which you spent real money on, all to make gold and send it to other accounts. Some things can be restored if the account can be retrieved but there will be things that are lost forever. Some might not care, but many do.

Yeah, my account was once taken over, which was many years ago...but it got completely restored a day later. So even if, you don't lose your stuff.

5+ Year Old Account
    I installed the app more than a year ago. Does that count for this extra bag space?

Quote Originally Posted by ovm33 View Post
    Who doesn't already have an authenticator?

I'm seriously asking those without one - why they don't have one? Do you also not get vaccines? Exact same principle.
    I didn't have one for some time but that was more because Blizz took a while to release it on the Microsoft Store. I do have one now but it IS annoying.. once every few weeks/months it asks me the code again (for some reason) and it usually asks it when trying to go to my Battle.net account online. It should have a "remember this device" setting that assures it never asks for a code (and it should allow multiple devices as I do play WoW on multiple computers here).

Quote Originally Posted by Dahij View Post
    If someone doesn't have a smartphone these days, but are paying for WoW, that's on them.
    Only 77% of people in the US have a smart phone.... and yes it is on them, that would mean they have to pay for an authenticator.

Which is my point.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by dodgeme View Post
    i want to dl the authenticator but im affraid what happens if i break my phone, is there a way to remove it ?
    Its the same with a Authenticator device.
    First you have a Code to remove the Authenticator from the Account.
    Second, you can add the authenticator to another device.
    Third, you can Contact customer Support to remove the Authenticator from your Account.

10+ Year Old Account
    Before i got the app I have never been hacked...got the app and got hacked within few months. Got rid of the app, changed email and 3 years later I'm safe. So from it's no, thank you.

I don't know, I don't have it,
    If it only needs a code when logging in from different computers that's okay.
    It's only a code of six random numbers which you put it once and then can forget about for quite some time IF you mostly play on the same device/IP. I hardly need to implement a new authenticator generated code. It's just that simple.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyOcelot View Post
    I'm not going to dig you for your phone choices, but WP 8.1 is EOL since June. If you're concerned about security like you say, it might be worth a switch to a supported operating system, since you're not going to get security updates, patches or tech support for your phone from Microsoft.

Also when it comes to athorization, you could check what permissions the app reqiures before complaining. And block the ones you don't want it to have? Or use a operating system that blocks by default and the app has to explicitly ask for permissions (and you can choose to say no)?

Also, I can understand privacy and security concerns - but it seems your threat model is somewhat flawed. Who are you defending against? It seems a bit backwards to skip 2-factor authentication to increase security?

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, that's what it does
    You talk about security in an era when you can see embarrassing smarthone leaks on the Internet daily (you are naive). Also I'm about to defend my account from the smarthone environment, not the other way around. The word "privacy" completely lost it's meaning.

gz, u made a thread out of nothing, we need more of those on these forums!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xqt View Post
    you dont need a fucking phone for that ?
    You don't need a phone for an authenticater either, you can buy a keychain one for like 5 bucks.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people - Martin Luther King, Jr.