Page 1 of 2
LastLast

to Blizzard: Warfronts on timers would be a mistake

I'm not sure if I understood the system well enough, but to me it looks like Warfronts happen on a schedule. So a player logs in and the warfront isn't available for the next hour, for example. Or it may be available every 2 hours.

I think this kind of content would be a mistake, because I've experienced it in Guild Wars 2. They did this a lot in earlier zones / expansions and I'm glad they got rid of it with the newest xpac. It's just not fun to wait for having fun.

What do you think?

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    I'm not sure if I understood the system well enough, but to me it looks like Warfronts happen on a schedule. So a player logs in and the warfront isn't available for the next hour, for example. Or it may be available every 2 hours.

I think this kind of content would be a mistake, because I've experienced it in Guild Wars 2. They did this a lot in earlier zones / expansions and I'm glad they got rid of it with the newest xpac. It's just not fun to wait for having fun.

What do you think?
    I think it depends on how many Warfronts there are and how far the timers are apart. They could be anything from hours apart to overlapping.

I've experienced the same in GW2, because everything is on a timer there. Some of those timers are absolutely fine, some are really annoying, but it depends on the design and timer.

Also, if it's predictable, you can't really complain about it that much. If the timers are predictable, it's not like you'll log on and go "WTF 2 hours to a Warfront!", you'll know perfectly well that's the case. Only if they are both:

A) Far apart.

and

B) Unpredictable.

Is this likely to be a REAL problem.

I'm curious what happens after the Arathi Warfront. They said it's the first, so will there be a victor of Arathi? How will they decide, player participation?

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goremonger View Post
    I'm curious what happens after the Arathi Warfront. They said it's the first, so will there be a victor of Arathi? How will they decide, player participation?
    To be honest I personally hope they just decide on what makes more sense, story-wise, but MMO companies do love to go for some ridiculous metric for determining these things!

Nothing will change in the main world, it is just a new form of instanced content.

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed. I hope the system is something we can just do whatever.
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

5+ Year Old Account
    From what I gathered, Warfronts will just EXIST until they don't anymore.

When Arathi becomes the Warfront, it'll be the big Warfront until it's settled within the story, and then we'll move on to the New Warfront, perhaps in Ashenvale or Darkshore. You might still be able to queue for Arathi, but lore-wise it's "Over".

And then as the war gets really heated, multiple Warfronts will be open simultaneously, and then we might even get to do raids on major cities Warfront style as the war goes all out crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmahaffe View Post
    Nothing will change in the main world, it is just a new form of instanced content.
    That would be bad, you wouldn't feel the results of your doings. I have no idea how they will solve this problem though. Seing that map in the blizzcon clips turning blue and red makes me think that you absolutely see which territory (Horde / Alliance) you are in each zone. A phasing thing perhaps? I have no idea.

About the number of Warfronts: to me it sounded like just one on both sides, but the more I think about it, the more this sounds not true at all. We've heard of city sieges and the fact that one bastion on each side remeins enemy inhabitated (Silvermoon & Exodar, which probably means that those get a rework).

What I also don't understand: do the Undead keep their Tirisfal Glades as 1-10 zone and vice versa the Nightelves Darnassus? It seems no, because Blizzard told us, that Each faction has their own continent now until lv.120. Then you can quest / fight (in Warfronts only?) on the other continent as well. Tirisfall would then be another Warzone?! And what's with the zones between Stromgarde and Silvermoon? It wouldn't make sense that Silverpine Forest keeps it's Sylvanas related storyline since it's not the Hordes continent anymore. Do they all turn to Warzones, right from the beginning lv.1?
    Last edited by Maarius; 2017-11-06 at 05:34 AM.

That would be bad, you wouldn't feel the results of your doings. I have no idea how they will solve this problem though. Seing that map in the blizzcon clips turning blue and red makes me think that you absolutely see which territory (Horde / Alliance) you are in each zone. A phasing thing perhaps? I have no idea.

About the number of Warfronts: to me it sounded like just one on both sides, but the more I think about it, the more this sounds not true at all. We've heard of city sieges and the fact that one bastion on each side remeins enemy inhabitated (Silvermoon & Exodar, which probably means that those get a rework).

What I also don't understand: do the Undead keep their Tirisfal Glades as 1-10 zone and vice versa the Nightelves Darnassus? It seems no, because Blizzard told us, that Each faction has their own continent now until lv.120. Then you can quest / fight (in Warfronts only?) on the other continent as well. Tirisfall would then be another Warzone?! And what's with the zones between Stromgarde and Silvermoon? It wouldn't make sense that Silverpine Forest keeps it's Sylvanas related storyline since it's not the Hordes continent anymore. Do they all turn to Warzones, right from the beginning lv.1?
    There is a 1 Warfront, for Horde players it is attacking Stromgarde (I think) and for Alliance it is defending Stromgarde ( I think)
    About starting zones, the main world remains unchanged until you hit lvl 110 and start Battle for Azeroth. After that you will see the changes to the main world
    Diablo Bore.

15+ Year Old Account
    There is a 1 Warfront, for Horde players it is attacking Stromgarde (I think) and for Alliance it is defending Stromgarde ( I think)
    About starting zones, the main world remains unchanged until you hit lvl 110 and start Battle for Azeroth. After that you will see the changes to the main world
    Stromgarde is the first Warfront, not the only Warfront. They're still fairly early in developing the system.

7+ Year Old Account
    time iimits will just turn it into another zerg fest with serious people

rawr 1 mill dps or kick
    #TeamSylvanas

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    Stromgarde is the first Warfront, not the only Warfront. They're still fairly early in developing the system.
    Well, right now there is 1, so I will say there is one warfront, obv there will be more overtime, personally expecting 2 on launch
    Diablo Bore.

it makes little sense if there is no progression with warfronts. I'm pretty confident that Stromgarde is only the first. Defeating the Horde there would lead you to the next zone, then the next and finally Silvermoon (where you get your city siege - which was advertised. There are no other cities there, except the Horde can reclaim Undercity).

You can also (as they said) unlock new upgrades for warfronts. It would only make sense that you get those upgrades in other warfronts; would feel odd to get them through questing on Zandalar/Kul Tiras only or through questing in low level areas.

The more I think about Battlefronts, the more excited I get. Especially when I think about the statement, that there will be different enemy NPC commanders every time I play one. This would mean they use the advanced-AI-NPCs they also use on the 3-men-islands. Which also means that it's totally possible that the future would be open to a PvP Warfront mode.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    They're actually pretty far along in developing the System, they just haven't settled on some things like pacing and difficulty. Everything they've said about the things not being ready is that it's all up in the air until internal testing is done. It means they can play Warfronts from start to finish, but haven't decided the ilevel of the rewards, whether to increase or decrease the spawn rates, or just how many logs you need for the Barracks, things like that.

There's art assets to allocate ('cause art is -always- the bottleneck in game design) and gameplay balancing. After that it's ready to go.

Well, right now there is 1, so I will say there is one warfront, obv there will be more overtime, personally expecting 2 on launch
    It looks like it's going to be -just- Arathi at launch for a period of some weeks before they start opening up more, with the intent of giving people time to enjoy the different places and work through the content. Whether they'll close old warfronts or not is up for speculation. But they have flatly stated Arathi is the only one at launch.

It's because the Warfronts will be part of the ongoing story of "Where the war is".

Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    It looks like it's going to be -just- Arathi at launch for a period of some weeks before they start opening up more, with the intent of giving people time to enjoy the different places and work through the content. Whether they'll close old warfronts or not is up for speculation. But they have flatly stated Arathi is the only one at launch.

It's because the Warfronts will be part of the ongoing story of "Where the war is".
    Do you have a source for this? If so, there are no city sieges in the game at launch, which they advertised. Stromgarde isn't a city.

5+ Year Old Account
    Do you have a source for this? If so, there are no city sieges in the game at launch, which they advertised. Stromgarde isn't a city.
    I haven't seen anything on City Sieges, but Stromgarde is a city (Just not a capital city).

As to the source, here's the answer from the Live Q&A at Blizzcon:

Warfronts: What is their availability, is it like invasions? Or something we can access whenever we want? What are the rewards for Warfronts?
    A: War is hard, so there will definitely be some downtime between Warfronts. Looking towards more of an event based system - build up, have it, then wane. For rewards, we're looking at comparable systems such as time walking or invasions - this is kind of what we're going to do. We want you to do Warfronts at least once, and if you like them, make them repeatable.

So... No one knows, actually. I'm guessing they might settle on something like the Mage Tower where we build supplied as a faction across all servers to choose which Warfront opens. It would make the most sense.

Common sense tells me that eventually there will be a winner story-wise and that will get reflected in the game world. But Warfronts are PvE so nobody is going to determine the outcome of that battle, it's just another pillar of endgame.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurhetemec View Post
    I think it depends on how many Warfronts there are and how far the timers are apart. They could be anything from hours apart to overlapping..
    I got the impression that Stromgarde will be the only warfront at launch, and possibly just two or three more added by the end of the expansion.

And also worryingly, when they spoke about its availability they referenced Timewalking, implying it could be weeks apart...

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    I got the impression that Stromgarde will be the only warfront at launch, and possibly just two or three more added by the end of the expansion.

And also worryingly, when they spoke about its availability they referenced Timewalking, implying it could be weeks apart...
    Well listening to that it sounded like it was a case of only certain warfronts being available at any given time. I doubt we'll have weeks and weeks of no warfront.

- - - Updated - - -

Blizzard absolutely have not advertised City Sieges, it's not on the website and it wasn't at Blizzcon, so why are you saying that? Are you confusing it with LEAK that there would be City Sieges?

Quote Originally Posted by Eurhetemec View Post
    Blizzard absolutely have not advertised City Sieges, it's not on the website and it wasn't at Blizzcon, so why are you saying that? Are you confusing it with LEAK that there would be City Sieges?
    damn you got me here, I thought I heard it during Blizzcon but you might be right and I'm confusing it with one of the leaks . I'll try and look for the source of my memory.

Edit: Maybe I got it from the dungeon name "Siege of Boralus", one of the new dungeons in BfA. Isn't Boralus the new Alliance capital on Kul Tiras? Edit: It is.

Last edited by Maarius; 2017-11-06 at 03:36 PM.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    damn you got me here, I thought I heard it during Blizzcon but you might be right and I'm confusing it with one of the leaks . I'll try and look for the source of my memory.

Edit: Maybe I got it from the dungeon name "Siege of Boralus", one of the new dungeons in BfA. Isn't Boralus the new Alliance capital on Kul Tiras? Edit: It is. [/IMG]
    Yeah that plus the leak is probably what you're thinking of.