Thread: The UFC Thread

if GSP doesnt get popped for drugs in the next month i'll be well impressed with him

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    GSP drops down to his normal weight, mcgregor stays bulk...incoming super fight. Ferguson is screwed.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Best card I've ever watched. So satisfying to see all the trash talking, smug champs lose their belts. Happy for Rose and TJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    GSP drops down to his normal weight, mcgregor stays bulk...incoming super fight. Ferguson is screwed.
    Doubt it. It's a better business decision to have GSP fight Whittaker as White claims will happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noipmahc-omm View Post
    Doubt it. It's a better business decision to have GSP fight Whittaker as White claims will happen.
    It's not really, from a monetary perspective. GSP vs. McGregor for a catchweight champion superfight would be the best selling UFC PPV of all time.

However, I think the execs want a little more credibility with matchmaking and titles to stifle some of the players getting a little too free with their desires and money a la McGregor. They will likely make McGregor and GSP unify their titles, banking really hard on them both winning and then they will make the fight to crown the first 3 weight champions.

So I'm not happy with the outcome of all the fights, because I really wanted Garbrandt and Joanna to win...however...I will be rooting hardcore for Dillashaw to fuck Mighty Mouse up and I think he has the skills to do it. MM is definitely not gonna grow the balls to come up to TJ, so I love that he's trying for that. Rose will be a diligent champion, taking any fight, but she's gonna get wrecked by anyone who actually tries, including Joanna in their rematch. Her record has been pretty spotty and just having steely resolve and landing a good hit isn't gonna keep a belt. I expect it's gonna be belt rodeo like after Ronda lost.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    What shocked me the most is Joanna tapping out due the strikes (You can see it in this video, watch her right hand from 0:10).

Also kind of glad Garbrandt lost, even though I don't like Dillashaw as well. The reason I am happy is because he is attention seeking whore blindly following his master, whenever I see Team Alpha Male holding their hands I think of McGregors comment somewhere along the lines of "weak individuals bunch together" (I think he said it on TUF). At least Snake did what was best for him, maybe the way he did it was wrong but who cares.

However I got to say Dillashaw was kind of saved by the bell, still a good comeback though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RH92 View Post
    However I got to say Dillashaw was kind of saved by the bell, still a good comeback though.
    Pretty much. Actually kinda shocked how much he shit talked afterwards, because he clearly was about to get wrecked. I know he doesn't want to fight Garbrandt right away, but the situation is totally different. TJ was coming off of decisions and close matches, whereas Garbrandt has destroyed everyone and almost had TJ in the first round. To me it would be silly for the UFC to dictate anything other than an immediate rematch, except for allowing TJ to fight DJ.
    BAD WOLF

It's not really, from a monetary perspective. GSP vs. McGregor for a catchweight champion superfight would be the best selling UFC PPV of all time.

However, I think the execs want a little more credibility with matchmaking and titles to stifle some of the players getting a little too free with their desires and money a la McGregor. They will likely make McGregor and GSP unify their titles, banking really hard on them both winning and then they will make the fight to crown the first 3 weight champions.

So I'm not happy with the outcome of all the fights, because I really wanted Garbrandt and Joanna to win...however...I will be rooting hardcore for Dillashaw to fuck Mighty Mouse up and I think he has the skills to do it. MM is definitely not gonna grow the balls to come up to TJ, so I love that he's trying for that. Rose will be a diligent champion, taking any fight, but she's gonna get wrecked by anyone who actually tries, including Joanna in their rematch. Her record has been pretty spotty and just having steely resolve and landing a good hit isn't gonna keep a belt. I expect it's gonna be belt rodeo like after Ronda lost.
    It is. You lose nothing making the fight with Whittaker. If GSP loses, he loses no drawing power for a McGregor card as fans accept such a loss as something that was always expected to begin with. That's the very reason why McGregor moves around weight classes (and sports) so liberally. He has everything to gain.

If you make GSP-McGregor fight now and GSP loses (doubtful but McGregor has a punchers chance), you lose a lot of draw for Whittaker-GSP as GSP lost to a man not even close to his size and McGregor becomes even more difficult for the UFC to control.

Indeed GSP-McGregor would be the best MMA fight monetarily, but it will still be that way even if GSP loses to Whittaker.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much. Actually kinda shocked how much he shit talked afterwards, because he clearly was about to get wrecked. I know he doesn't want to fight Garbrandt right away, but the situation is totally different. TJ was coming off of decisions and close matches, whereas Garbrandt has destroyed everyone and almost had TJ in the first round. To me it would be silly for the UFC to dictate anything other than an immediate rematch, except for allowing TJ to fight DJ.
    I don't think you should get immediate rematch for title unless you were some dominant champion. If Garbrandt smashes next guy, so be it, but not now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RH92 View Post
    I don't think you should get immediate rematch for title unless you were some dominant champion. If Garbrandt smashes next guy, so be it, but not now.
    Maybe that's a fair qualifier, but it's hard to argue against being dominant in every single fight and round until one that cost you a belt.
    BAD WOLF

Tonight there's a Fight Night on FS1. Anyone good fighting?

It seems like every Saturday is a Fight Night or a UFC 2##. I like the new format, before it was fucking weird days of the week where there would randomly be fights. I can get into a locked "Saturday night is UFC night" schedule.

that northcut dude seems nice. good fighter.

also, idk, kinda looked like that last fight went a little too long. his arms were still up though i guess.

- - - Updated - - -

oh my god, this guy fighting right now looks so fucking gross. he's like a giant man baby in a diaper.

Damn dude I think I missed it.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh no I see this guy. His name is baby? He does look fucking weird it does look exactly like he's a chubby guy in a diaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Damn dude I think I missed it.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh no I see this guy. His name is baby? He does look fucking weird it does look exactly like he's a chubby guy in a diaper.
    it was awful lol, so glad the guy with the beard won.

- - - Updated - - -

jeez, that guy's nose was pushed sideways.

i wonder what happened to his ribs though, that can be pretty dangerous.

10+ Year Old Account
    He was getting squeezed hard by man thighs. It's likely that his ribs broke.
    BAD WOLF

Just turned Fight Night on on my TV.

http://m.ufc.com/event/ufc-fight-night-sydney-2017

Does the card look good? Anyone else watching?

Shane Carwin retired (posted by him on Reddit today).

Said he couldn't get any new fights or that the contract offers were laughable. Power to him.

UFC 218 - Holloway vs. Aldo 2 is on on Saturday. Does it look like a good card orrrrr?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, watch.

As @Zeoni says, we're watching UFC 218 tonight.

Alright yo 1.5 hours til I have to find a stream for the main card. I do NOT want to go to the living room today so I guess I'll just stream it off of desktop, which means I basically need no setup time.

I might turn my TV on right now to watch the FS1 prelims, but to be honest they'd just be background noise...