Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Detheavn View Post
    if you are seeing less people in the world, that just means few people actually care about world PvP.
    Unless there would be such an extremely low percentage of the total wow pupulation that would opt for one model, you'll see near even populations in each shard, there would be just fewer shards of one type then the other oveall.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wingspan View Post
    I agree with most of what you said actually. I think this will make WPvP will basically go the way of Twinking and circle the drain for a few years and then settle in as a minor time killer for a small subset of people.

For a while though, it should make for some truly Epic WPvP, as everyone involved will be there because they truly want to... And not because they didn't foresee how their WPvP experience would end up.
    There could be one fly in the ointment. The devs somehow have gotten it into there head that joining this cabal should be 'rewarded' with extra XP/Rep. I completely disagree. If they don't get it 'right', their will still be people on PvP shards that have 0 interest in wPvP, but feel forced to min/max the XP/Rep gain. Ditch the rewards; Keep PvP a 'clean' choice.

On a separate note, I wonder how they'll handle flagging PvP out in the world? If I'm flying around Durotar and decide to attack Razor Hill, for example, will I still get flagged PvP+? And if so, isn't that an easy way to circumvent their "you can only flag in a major hub city" mechanic?

And if not, will the lvl15 horde noobs just have to sit there while I kill all their NPCs, unable to hand-in their quests, with no recourse at all?

I guess one answer to that is to make enemy faction NPCs unattackable. But then what if they attack you, you can't defend yourself? And if they don't attack, then you have horde sitting pretty /dancing in Kharanos.

It's a tricky question.
    Last edited by Schizoide; 2017-11-06 at 06:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    "The new WPVP system will solve a lot of these issues as sharding technology will place you into shards with others who have opted into WPVP."

Other words, those who wanna pvp and those who not won't be seeing eachother? Or am i seeing this wrong?
    If so we are gonna see even less players then we already do.
    You say that like it's a bad thing to see less players. I fucking hate being in a crowded place, it just shows how irrelevant our "hero" is. Makes all quests sound stupid NPC: "bring me 10 carrots". Me: "there's already 75 people getting your 10 carrots, or do you need 750 carrots?"

I naively moved all my toons to Venture Co years ago, not realizing it was a PVP server. After getting ganked over and over again I promptly moved them back off that server, only months later. It's my own fault and I paid dearly with my wallet, but this would have been nice back then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VyersReaver View Post
    Trust me, there's NO enemy faction on those damn towers on PvP servers. Only PvP WQs that attract some attention are the Rumble type, where even allies are targetable. And even then I would avoid it, Blood DKs and Bears running rampant.

- - - Updated - - -

...you have pulled that out of your ass, didn't you? I play on the server Exorsus is on. It's overcrowded, but I still see activity.
    Eu - Outland. The onces bussiest crowded realm of whole EU for YEAAARS. Died out pretty fast in legion. Pure due the sharding. Goldshire went from a 1-100 populated town to a 1-10 populated town. thats 10x less then we were used too. So yeah, the server feels alot more dead. Nothing pulled out of the ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    On a separate note, I wonder how they'll handle flagging PvP out in the world? If I'm flying around Durotar and decide to attack Razor Hill, for example, will I still get flagged PvP+? And if so, isn't that an easy way to circumvent their "you can only flag in a major hub city" mechanic?

And if not, will the lvl15 horde noobs just have to sit there while I kill all their NPCs, unable to hand-in their quests, with no recourse at all?

I guess one answer to that is to make enemy faction NPCs unattackable. But then what if they attack you, you can't defend yourself? And if they don't attack, then you have horde sitting pretty /dancing in Kharanos.

It's a tricky question.
    It's a good question. I imagine the easiest solution is to turn off NPCs' PVP flag on PVE shards, make them unable to be attacked.
    Garrosh: "LOK'TAR! HAVE A HAMBURGER."

I am The Burning Legion - Play Free Online Games

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swalload View Post
    You say that like it's a bad thing to see less players. I fucking hate being in a crowded place, it just shows how irrelevant our "hero" is. Makes all quests sound stupid NPC: "bring me 10 carrots". Me: "there's already 75 people getting your 10 carrots, or do you need 750 carrots?"
    You are the pure aids of a MMORPG gamer. You basically said, you rather see a few people then a crowded town? Sorry but what? Seriously what the fuck are you doing in a MMORPG?

the sharding thing is good and bad for me.

on one hand, i like to watch pvp fights in goldshire and won't be able to do that anymore. on the other, i'll be kept separate from the fucking moronic pvp flagged teenage cunts that hang out on the fences around goldshire.

kinda worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Infernix View Post
    It's a good question. I imagine the easiest solution is to turn off NPCs' PVP flag on PVE shards, make them unable to be attacked.
    Yeah but still have them attack you-- so you just have to run away. Maybe give them a shorter leash distance. I guess that's the only way to go, when you think about it.

You are the pure aids of a MMORPG gamer. You basically said, you rather see a few people then a crowded town? Sorry but what? Seriously what the fuck are you doing in a MMORPG?
    No I did not say town and I specifically talked about quest, you were supposed to be smart enough to understand that I was talking about out in the world, very fucking obviously. Which is understandable since it looks fucking ugly when there's 50 people running around gathering stupid shit on the ground and killing the same 10 mobs. Quests with lots of people look literally ugly, they make the game worst, not better. Towns are meant to be crowded, like in real life, empty towns feel like a ghost town, but when you take a walk in the woods and there's 10 people right in front of you, 10 people right behind you, it's fucking weird.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swalload View Post
    No I did not say town and I specifically talked about quest, you were supposed to be smart enough to understand that I was talking about out in the world, very fucking obviously. Which is understandable since it looks fucking ugly when there's 50 people running around gathering stupid shit on the ground and killing the same 10 mobs. Quests with lots of people look literally ugly, they make the game worst, not better. Towns are meant to be crowded, like in real life, empty towns feel like a ghost town, but when you take a walk in the woods and there's 10 people right in front of you, 10 people right behind you, it's fucking weird.
    It's not even close to weird, I rather see people around me, feeling the world is alive. Then leveling basically alone, which you are obv saying.
    The mobs can be respawned faster, quest items are already pick upable by more people. So i don't see a reason NOT to have alot of people around you.

And if your pc can't handle to see 50 players around you then you obv need a better pc.

Overpopulation used to be a much bigger problem because you were competing with other players for everything-- picking up quest items, killing monsters, mining a node, whatever. Now that all that stuff is shared in Legion CRZ is less of a big deal for me. The only real bummer is rare mobs, which are nigh-impossible to get with CRZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Oh look another whine post from Gimlix!
    This is the most annoying thing about this forum. If you ignore people like him, as I did, you still see the threads they make. You don't see their stupid troll posts but you do see their whiny and uninformed threads. Wish the board was changed so you won't even see threads started by people on your ignore list.

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    Yeah but still have them attack you-- so you just have to run away. Maybe give them a shorter leash distance. I guess that's the only way to go, when you think about it.
    I would prefer the NPCs to just ignore the other faction's players. Or make all guards 120 and have no leash and be able to see through stealth. One-shotting max levels all day, every day.

But, ignoring would probably be the better solution in the long run.
    Garrosh: "LOK'TAR! HAVE A HAMBURGER."

I am The Burning Legion - Play Free Online Games

I imagine that the PvE shards will be fine, as will the PvP. I would guess that there would be substantially more PvE shards, but Blizz will only make new shards when the old one is too populated.

As for segregating the population? Good idea imo. Every person you see on a PvP shard is either ally or enemy, which could lead to large scale battles. On a PvE shard, you know you're safe from that nonsense. Mixing them just doesn't make much sense, since you could no longer assume your faction will come to your aid in a battle.

If there isn't enough population on PvP shards, that'll just be the nail in the coffin confirming that the community doesn't really want WPvP
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HuxNeva View Post
    Unless there would be such an extremely low percentage of the total wow pupulation that would opt for one model, you'll see near even populations in each shard, there would be just fewer shards of one type then the other oveall.
    Well, yeah, that's the idea of sharding. What I meant is if you don't see anyone, it means absolutely no one gives a damn about world PvP

the pvp shards are going to be full of warriors and rogues, because no healer or cloth class besides a warlock would ever turn on pvp with this class balance lul

It's not about getting less players, it's about seeing the right type.
    Realms as such with this change is a dead concept, there might as well be no more realms basically, they could have basically as well merged all the realms into just 2 types (problem being outside of probably something like NASAs super computers there's no computer or server cluster on earth that could handle that without it being a massive lagfest if there's suddenly like 500k pvp players at Goldshire at the same time on the same "realm") , even if the realms technically exist for auction house etc game systems, they don't exist out in the world with the change.

If you want to be with 100+ people in Goldshire from the realm previously known as Outland, make sure you tell those people all to toggle on pvp or it off and if you absolutely need to be sure, raid group them all. Except it's probably not going to be a 100 cause 2 raid groups is 80 people currently and that seems to be around the limit one zone can handle at any given time or the servers crash. If you've ever witnessed any wpvp battles, there's usually 2 raids groups and the server lags out and disconnects people in the zone. They might have improved that, but last i checked such thing was in WoD and that seemed to be the limit, aka the reason why there's no bigger than 40v40 bgs, for example.
    Then those people will be there. Otherwise you will see 100+ people who have pvp on for example from all around the Blizzard realms, if that happens to be 1000 players who have pvp on and are located in Goldshire, you should in theory see them all, only limit is how much is that one shard going to be able to carry people, in WoD that pretty much seemed to be 80 give or take +1-10 people, i don't know if it's a 1000 or a 100 or 10, it depends on that how many people you'll see and what the stack overflow will be for another shard to be created, but assured you can be sure they are all going to be there to pvp, horde or alliance.

The amount isn't any less than now if you would take a look at 2 different realms pve and pvp at the same location at the same time, they cannot see each other.
    Change is basically realms are no longer. You're either pvp or pve, that's the realm division now. It's basically the same thing if there were only 2 realms for EU and 2 realms for NA, sharding obviously is the limiting factor, cause no computer on earth can handle WoW population all being on just 2 realms.

The system will fill in the players who are pve if you're pvp in Goldshire from other realms, unless you're probably grouped up with them or something.
    So if you're missing your friend in Goldshire, he's probably toggled to pve whatever you're not. That's up to you to make sure if you want to interact with this certain person to be on the same toggle.

In the sense of being less people within a location from your "old" realm, that probably will be true as that.
    But with the change the realm as they are now are not realms as they were, the concept of realms pretty much dies here.
    You're left with the 2 communities EU or NA wide, pvp or pve, instead of 200 different realms.

The end result is the same as if those 90 players that quit from Outland all finally paid for that server transfer they wanted, but it's not as permanent, if they regretted the transfer a week later, well tough call back then, now all they need to do is press a switch and they are back.
    Otherwise the void will be filled with a 100 or 1000 or 5000 or 10k new people you now need to make friends in Goldshire.
    Last edited by Redecle; 2017-11-06 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Infernix View Post
    I would prefer the NPCs to just ignore the other faction's players. Or make all guards 120 and have no leash and be able to see through stealth. One-shotting max levels all day, every day.

But, ignoring would probably be the better solution in the long run.
    If they ignore you, and you aren't flagged PvP+ by NPCs, that leads to orcs /dancing in Stormwind, right in front of the guards, which is a bit of cognitive dissonance. I don't think that would fly.

Insta-kill guards, and you lose city raids and killing opposite faction leaders. That's a no-go too. Maybe make them only one-shot players who aren't flagged?

It's not even close to weird, I rather see people around me, feeling the world is alive. Then leveling basically alone, which you are obv saying.
    The mobs can be respawned faster, quest items are already pick upable by more people. So i don't see a reason NOT to have alot of people around you.

And if your pc can't handle to see 50 players around you then you obv need a better pc.
    Not a PC problem, a fantasy problem. Why would the world need heroes and champion if there are 50 of them picking up flowers for some farmer NPC? It's fucking ridiculous. I can see the point of having 50 people charging at a giant demon threatening a village, but for shitty quests that NPCs should do by themselves, it looks very bad when there's a lot of people. The game feels alive enough as it is right now, I see some people here and there while questing, actually quite a lot on argus, I don't feel the need to see more and I wouldn't feel bad if there was a little less.