Poll: Will you Pick Underrated Specs in Vanilla PvE

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Wish I could play Ret Paladin, but if they keep the classes and races the same, I can't play Paladin Horde side.

BOY VANILLA SURE WAS AWESOME.

I'm going to be a Prot Pally and a Lacerate hunter so that I never get an invite to a group.

I can imagine A LOT of non-emulator people are going to fall into "the shadow trap" and roll priests expecting not to heal and then having nothing to do at 60.

You've been warned...

Quote Originally Posted by Rush2803 View Post
    Many false claims about fury/arms, both did just fine as pve dps - you just needed to have the right gear to make it work.
    The main problem was that Prot Warrior was the only useful tank. So people equated warrior with tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Cainium View Post
    Min/Maxing wont be such a thing as it was 10 years ago. Not millions of players will play classic, it will most likely be 500k across all regions.

1. There is a lot less choice among "available" players.
    2. The rotation of every spec is trivial nowadays. Every "decent" player from today will be able to play every classic spec at its former "pro" level 'cause of the 2 buttons rotations.
    3. Every "outsider" spec brings something unique and useful. The point is that the raid must be willing to utilize that, and since the new classic is "for fun" and not "for the most fame", they'll be much more willing to do so.
    This is nonsense, min-maxing on private vanilla servers is more prevailent than it was 10 years ago because not only is knowledge more developed and refined but access to that knowledge is more widespread and common. I remember the old days and a lot of people had the notion that Warrior = Tank and that it doesn't dps, however wrong it was it was still commonplace as a thought among many players even going into and during early TBC.

On private servers however, DPS Warriors are super popular and commonplace in raids and indeed are very strong dps (in many situations even the top dps of all specs). The private server community are going to form the core of these classic servers, they are largely going to be setting the standards and trends and you can be sure that min-maxing will occur.. It isn't 2005 anymore, knowledge of the game is extremely in depth and well documented, so access to that information for new players will be easily available (unlike in 2004-2006).

Also, private servers show that despite rotations being simple there is still a wide performance gap between players based on skill, as much of the skill of the old specs comes to planning ahead and resource management, which can be quite volatile and lead to lesser skilled players completely gimping themselves.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2017-11-07 at 12:13 AM.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Aren't certain classes like Enhancement especially handicapped in Raids since they're essentially used a totem buff / Nightfall debuffer which relies on auto attacks since Stormstrike adds to the limted debuff table? Kind of the same with Shadow Priests and their shadow damage debuff?
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't wait for people to try and roll a prot paladin and realise they don't have taunt
    Looking for laid-back casual raiding on EU?
    Our community is looking for more players: Take a look and hit me up for info!

Quote Originally Posted by Erinhia View Post
    I can't wait for people to try and roll a prot paladin and realise they don't have taunt
    lul.. I can't wait for people to try and roll a blood elf paladin... (my main since cata)

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    Aren't certain classes like Enhancement especially handicapped in Raids since they're essentially used a totem buff / Nightfall debuffer which relies on auto attacks since Stormstrike adds to the limted debuff table? Kind of the same with Shadow Priests and their shadow damage debuff?
    Enhancement shammies in classic is going to be fun, 2h wielding shammies ftw

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mariovsgoku View Post
    lul.. I can't wait for people to try and roll a blood elf paladin... (my main since cata)
    I can't wait for people to try and roll a shaman on the alliance, lmao

Troll mage in the house!

Just remember most of these encounters require tanks (keeping things in place) and healers paying attention (dispels and keeping tanks alive) DPS mostly just spammed 1 to 3 keys tops. Really only needed like 10 people playing good ball and maybe 10 not being total garbage and you kill a lot of this stuff as long as the other 20 or so are just engaged and not dying.

I know our guild carried like 10 or so total dead weight (like often afk dead weight) and 10 or so total garbage weight (rogue only auto attack period garbage weight) up to all bosses minus 4 Horse, Dragon, and final boss in Naxx 40.

So really if in a 40 man raid you had 10 off spec people that REALLY trying you can still get a lot done. Sure if you had 20 or 30 you are fucked for sure. But 10 or so? As long as they push effort? You are way ok.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    Will you go against the norm and try to make them work?
    Or you gonna play it safe and pick the most successful specs?
    Don't you fear not being invited to raids and groups?

For some reason i really want to play an Enh Shaman in Vanilla but i fear not getting picked for anything since i will be playing with strangers and without a friendly guild.

Unusual Specs:
    Druid
    Blance
    Feral (DPS)
    Feral (Tank)
    Hunter
    Beast Mastery
    Survival
    Paladin
    Retribution
    Protection
    Priest
    Discipline
    Shadow
    Shaman
    Elemental
    Enhancement
    Warlock
    Affliction
    Demonology

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20747736615

Unfortunately 12 years of private vanilla servers, proved this list to be 70% bullshit.

Enan or Arms with nightfall?
    boomkin spriest regen?
    5man turbo mode prot pala?

it will be fun

3 Minutes mage inc

10+ Year Old Account
    I will pick what I like to play regardless of the meta. If that means not doing dungeons or raids I'll be fine with that. I've seen them before.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

The easiest solution to this problem is to port over certain spec set ups from the current game. All specs should be viable, even if it means cheating a little on the Classic experience.
    Garrosh: "LOK'TAR! HAVE A HAMBURGER."

I am The Burning Legion - Play Free Online Games

10+ Year Old Account
    It's striking how many people want vanilla servers but don't want them to actually "BE" anything much like vanilla. This is going to be an entertaining time.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    Will you go against the norm and try to make them work?
    been there, done that - maining balance druid since before we where owls!
    not doing it again....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Trollfat View Post
    For Raids you won't get invited unless you're :
    not true - i was raiding as a balance owl but thats because getting 40 people for the raid is a HUGE deal.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    It's striking how many people want vanilla servers but don't want them to actually "BE" anything much like vanilla. This is going to be an entertaining time.
    Now that Blizzard is finally making vanilla the next set of demands will be the interpretation of what should be considered the vanilla experience.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2017-11-07 at 12:32 AM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    Now that Blizzard is finally making vanilla the next set of demands will be the interpretation of what should be considered the vanilla experience.
    Oh, indeed. I would be perfectly happy with 1.12 with as few changes as possible.

I don't give a shit about 'underperforming' specs. I'll play what's fun, as that's what vanilla was about.

I guess most of those who want a modified version of Vanilla are attached to other than the very vanilla experience. I won't care less if Blizzard will decide to not stick to the 100% pure vanilla system (since it was horrible). What I'm looking for is low damage numbers, hard but steady work on gear, professions and consumables, a lower gap in ilvl between tiers, the value of golds, infinite alterac valleys, attunements, levelling experience, lack of transmog (thus the value of gear besides stats) and the chance to raid with more than 8 fps and less than 170 ms (yes, that's the main reason a lot of people back then wouldn't be able to raid properly). Dual spec, tweaks on classes (with some abilities or talents from 2.0), even real summoning stones, would make the game more enjoyable while mantaining the Vanilla feel.