Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    No.

This was one of the biggest arguments against ever creating a classic server. There's going to be people wanting various iterations and various quality of life aspects along with the classic server.

It needs to be all or nothing.
    Exactly this^, people were harping on like banshees wanting their precious legacy servers.. And now they want to change them to have this and that from retail, pretty much shows that they really didn't want classic servers..

And looking at all the waffle on about classic servers shows what a major mistake it was for Blizzard to ever announce that they were going to do this..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GKLeatherCraft View Post
    I knew this would happen, I've seen so many people crying about Classic, They say they'll do it, then everyone starts remembering what they'll actually have to do, And they start to panic xD
    Pretty much, and it shows really what a big ass mistake Blizzard made even mentioning they were going to make classic servers..

Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    Issue is everyone thinks their preference for Vanilla is the best. Personally I'd like a progressive patch rollout starting from 1.0 to the last 1.X patch, and the only extra fixes being exploits. The end of Vanilla was quite different from launch and had a tremendous number of QoL changes that made the game much more playable.
    The end of vanilla or near it is the point the people making these pointless threads will probably see vanilla for the first time in their life.

Quote Originally Posted by MMKing View Post
    no + no = no

As few changes as technical limitations allow. Preferably none.

- - - Updated - - -

It's a slippery slope that has been slipping to this very day. That is why we don't want any quality of life changes. If they add something new that everyone want, some whiners will ask for more, and before you know it they are updating the game once a month. Starting with aoe looting, tabs for toys and mounts, bigger bags... then it's off with the quivers, then you teleport to the dungeon, then quests are put inside the dungeons, then dungeons are nerfed.

Finally you sit in a queue all day, never leaving the city and not even saying hi to the guys you dungeon with.
    That's fair, it's definitely a slippery slope. Unfortunate that it has to be that way.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Melfeth View Post
    Guys, if they were remaking WoW classic as it was just before TBC, you'd be able to play on it now. 2007scape is not exactly as Runescape was in 2007. There's not going be a WoW Classic or Classic+ as this thread suggests.

Yes, it will have certain quality of life changes added to it. Yes, it will have updated graphics and character models. Blizzard isn't making another shitty private server lookalike, because they're not going to make all the same mistakes they did 12 years ago. Will it have all of the changes that are in WoW today? Probably not. This is all speculation of course, but I can pretty much guarantee that it won't be exactly like Classic WoW. It'll be VERY similar, but not exactly like it. To assume otherwise just shows a glaring lack of understanding in regards to how Blizzard actually operates as a business today.
    If that is the case we can expect a giant tsunami of whinging from those wanting the "true classic" experience and not getting it.. It is going to get interesting the more information we get from Blizzard on this..

Quote Originally Posted by grexly75 View Post
    If that is the case we can expect a giant tsunami of whinging from those wanting the "true classic" experience and not getting it.. It is going to get interesting the more information we get from Blizzard on this..
    They didnt disappoint with starcraft remaster so this should be really easy for the teams to accomplish with limited input from the community.

7+ Year Old Account
    ffs, if you want post vanilla enhancements then don't play vanilla

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    No.

It needs to be all or nothing.
    this,
    /10char

And then have classic ++ and then classic +++++ for the people that want specific QoL features. Its a never ending cycle. It needs to be one version or nothing. Stop splitting the community.

This is going to be so much fun, I'm just waiting to see that. Ah, not being able to have a mount before level 50 if you were lucky and had some spare money. One hour hearthstone. Quests that sent you in one place, kill 15 mobs, come back to the camp and going back to the same place to kill another 10 other mobs. Not being able to respec easily. Having to level up a weapon skill when you looted this new weapon and going back to first zones to be able to do so. Having to wait next to the guys in IF or in Orgrimmar to do some PVP and having to click quickly when you get out to be in the next BG.

How much fun this will be when people will have to experience that all over again? Oh, and will they need to redo the balance of the game or will you be stuck to one spec when you played some classes?

Don't get me wrong, I will create a toon there for old time memories and to recall how it was. But I'm not sure that I will level it up to 60

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate to see so many pro-Vanilla server backers start to backpeddle on this, just got what they've been asking for for so long, and now want to get stuff from even up to WoD?

For Christs sake, get your act together, Vanilla is Vanilla.

Lol, this stuff is getting ridiculous

Can of worms indeed...

Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    Issue is everyone thinks their preference for Vanilla is the best. Personally I'd like a progressive patch rollout starting from 1.0 to the last 1.X patch, and the only extra fixes being exploits. The end of Vanilla was quite different from launch and had a tremendous number of QoL changes that made the game much more playable.
    It's my preference, but more importantly, it is the most balanced version of classic warcraft. If they released the first patch where druids were only taken for innervate, paladins buffed 40 players with 5 minute blessings (and 31 point retribution paladins were taken exclusively for blessing of kings), and only ~2 warlocks were taken per raid for their curses, I'd definitely pass on it.

I enjoyed classic tremendously, but at the same time it had parts that were very frustrating and I do not miss. Now, my personal enjoyment of the server is not necessary and I did not ask for classic servers to begin with. But I know for a fact that I would not spend any time on any kind of group content on a classic server that was as broken as the earliest patches were. (on top of that, my personal favorite raid of classic was Zul'Gurub, and without that the game wouldn't be appealing to me anyways.)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Supernovaqq View Post
    (2) Classic Plus - servers with some of the niceties of today, AoE looting, cross-realm achievements, updated character models, etc.
    No. If you want to play the old content with the "niceties" of today, just play live. They said they are changing the pacing in the next xpac so that you can actually experience the old content without constantly over-leveling it.

I can spell this out even more for the people who still don't seem to get it:

Nostalrius and Elysium were only as popular as they were because it was free. That simple. Blizzard isn't going to invest millions of dollars to develop and maintain a free product, they're going to look for ways to earn money from this. Micro transactions are off the table most likely, so they're going to demand a monthly subscription for this as well (probably). So, who in their right mind would pay 10-15 dollars a month to play WoW as it was before TBC? Maybe a couple thousand people; but Blizzard isn't interested in making a product for such a small audience. Instead, they'll look for ways to replicate the same experience, while also adding newer features that will also entice people who've never played Classic WoW before.

It will have updated graphics. It will have class rebalancing. It will have certain quality of life changes that are common in all MMO's today, because that is what their competition is. Remember, Blizzard is a business first and foremost. Their main goal is profit, not to satisfy a few thousand people who are blinded by nostalgia. Be honest with yourselves, you're only setting yourself up for disappointment by assuming that Blizzard will replicate it exactly as is.

If their goal was to replicate WoW exactly as it was in 2005, they'd have announced at Blizzcon that it would be playable after Blizzcon was over. Because if they wanted to, they could make that happen in less than a few weeks. Logic dictates that because that isn't the case, that is not the product that they're developing.
    Blizzard said that they want to know what we want to see. They are looking for feedback to provide the kind of servers we want to play on. I have to assume that is the reasoning here, but I'm sure it would take at least a month or two to even throw up the original servers and integrate it in such a way that it can be played through b.net app separately, and so on.

Deleted
    Classic plus: hell no. There shouldn't be any cross-realm account-wide stuff. In old WoW players played their characters, not accounts and that was a good thing. It meant you knew players by their character names, formed connections, created communities. No account-wide stuff please. No cross-realm stuff, except maybe battlegrounds that might be impossible otherwise.

I think you are misdirected on how this work. The simple reason it will take that much time is that they have to rework a lot of codes to fit with modern infrastructures. It is not just about to put the game on servers slides and push the button on. When the game was released, some of us played with 56k connection and on OS that aren't supported anymore.

And also, they probably don't have the complete original code. Because it is not only what is on your computer, but also everything that is on the server side. That mean rebuilding a lot of things to fit with modern equipment. That isn't easy. Free Legacy servers that did that also had a lot of bugs. But I agree with your point on it being free to explain popularity.

For the monetarization, I think Blizzard plan is much more straightfowards: It will be linked with current WoW Account, and you can play both. Thus, old players of WoW, that have quitted for a long time, will come back to the game, and, while they are there, maybe they will try the new version of the game, to see how I has evolved. I think it is more a big communication plan than anything else.

this thread makes me laugh and gives hope for legacy servers because other than bug fixes there is no reason for changes

mount tab: each mount you carried felt unique
    aoe looting: not needed because you cant zerg 200 mobs at once and for skinners if you were to kill 5 bears you can still only skin 1 so chancing others stealing it
    group finder: no no no no no
    bigger bags: the bigger the bag the more mats you can carry yes....however that means you will spend less time in the city which is where 90% of interaction is and unless you were hardcore farming you would never really need alot of extra storage

sure give the realm the final vanilla patch and have raids unlock which is probably their plan because "we want to give them the gaming experience not the launch experience" suggests it

i leave you with this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNAh...l=PreachGaming

Yes, and that statement alone (want to know what you want to see in the game) already implies that it won't be exactly as it was. If we were talking about a release that was a couple of months away, they would have announced a release date at Blizzcon.
    They don't know what players want. A lot of people haven't even put thought into it because the idea of classic servers actually happening didn't seem real. I'm only now participating in discussions because I know it's going to happen; before this point I just avoided the threads because they served no real purpose.

7+ Year Old Account
    After all these years of people screaming for Classic/Vanilla servers, when they first arrive, they should be as "classic" as they get, no details from anything newer than the latest big patch, which would be the Drum's of War PvP patch, where the crossrealms battleground system was introduced. Lest it actually beats the entire purpose of going back to "Classic".
    Ryzen 3600X | MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wi-fi | 16GB G.Skill FlareX 3200MHz | Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT Pulse | EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G3 Gold | NZXT Kraken X62 | 2TB Samsung 860 EVO | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO | 500GB Samsung 970 NVMe M.2 | 3x 27" HP Omen 165Hz 1Ms Latency

They do have the complete original code, they've auctioned off several of the servers with all of the data intact (afaik). All they'd have to do was replicate that for modern infrastructure, which wouldn't take more than a few months assuming that they have knowledgeable software engineers and system administrators on deck (which they do). Like I said, if that was all they were doing they'd have announced a release date. But they haven't, all they said that this is something that they're working on as well. Which implies that it isn't going to be exactly as it was.

This is 2017 people, they're not going to spend over a year to release and charge you for a product that several groups of people have been able to do with less of everything that Blizzard has at disposal.
    its gonna be the content lull of BfA when they release it
    calling it now
    heck i was trolling alexensuals stream chat saying legacy servers 2020 and now it seems it will be exactly that