Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Vanilla changes & community

TLDR: The more you discuss what could be changed in vanilla, the higher the chances are something will and you end up with LFR, 4k graphics and ElvUI. (listed these things as things which did not exist in vanilla, not that they are bad).

I find it quite interesting there are so many threads on this forum discussing possible vanilla changes. I have been playing since vanilla and still do every expansion. I love retail, I appreciate WoW's past. I have nothing against bring WoW: Classic - the more content there is for people the better.

However, if the goal is to preserve the authentic vanilla experience, outside of bug/crash fixes, nothing else changes. From classes to bosses to drops to systems - everything remains as in vanilla. If you attempt to discuss changes, authentic goes out the door. The only QoL changes must be bug fixes and nothing else.

Just have a look at the list of threads/polls now on this page:

"Poll: Vanilla WoW Yay or Nah to the new graphics?"
    22% want new graphics

"Poll: What changes to classic would you be okay with?"
    35% want modern addon/lua/macro support
    34% want modern character models/animations
    34% want modern graphics
    32% want modern interface
    15% want nerf to known gold farming spots
    20% want class balancing
    22% want spec viability
    38% want auto loot as an option
    30% want auto area loot
    13% want quest helper
    9% want premade dungeon finder
    26% want stacking soulshards
    22% want debuffs raised/removed
    12% want limit stacking of consumables
    17% want more challenging bosses
    17% want guild bank
    37% want no changes

"QoL needed for an amazing classic experience"
    "Poll: Should Talents be Class-Specific rather than Spec-specific?"
    "A change classic servers absolutely needs"
    "Poll: Would you prefer no updates or updates?"
    "Why WoW: Classic Needs the Tweaks"

Now, sure, some of these threads are clearly trolls and bait, but you realize Blizzard will poll the COMMUNITY. That means EVERYONE, people who love Classic AND people who HATE classic will vote. People who have never played Classic will vote for features they never experienced first hand.

While the Classic community is quite vocal and has been asking for Classic for a long time, the casual WoW retail players are a lot more. So how would you select whose votes matter?
    This question is really important when it comes down to the intricate details of vanilla, such as the detailed poll I posted above in this post illustrates - stacking soulshards? debuff slots? spec viability? You can see a basic poll on mmochampion results in such high %s for things which are unthinkable for vanilla.

Small poll but enough to show that people don't actually want Vanilla experience. They're bandwagoners who never played it, further proving my theory about this circle jerk.
    Prot Warrior 2004-2008. Hunter 2008-2018.
    Retired boomer.

Deleted
    You think you do but you don't.

5+ Year Old Account
    I just want my old Twinks back!

7+ Year Old Account
    No QoL changes. Just zero of them.
    p.s. For those that say only reason people want classic is nostalgy, you are wrong. Just ask nostalrius gamers. Nostalgy cant hold you in game for 6 months or more.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    I honestly don't get it. You hate Classic, you never want it implemented, why the heck do you care about gameplay experience of those, who wanted it since forever?

Just enjoy your new xpack (btw I will for some time) and all the QoL it has. Leave Vanilla alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret81
    I´ve heard, there will be Epic loot as normal quest rewards in Cata while you level.
    To make the quest feel more epic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dentelan View Post
    No QoL changes. Just zero of them.
    p.s. For those that say only reason people want classic is nostalgy, you are wrong. Just ask nostalrius gamers. Nostalgy cant hold you in game for 6 months or more.
    You'd be surprised what Nostalgia can do.

30-year nostalgia is the reason Ducktales is back.
    US - Eitrigg - <Bank Space is Magic>
    Delupi, Amoora, Jisu, Beahru, Rusa, Yeun, Neralyis, Usii, Razzil, Zaramja, Oshaz, Shawnie, Iziss, Gearsi(A)

Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    TLDR: The more you discuss what could be changed in vanilla, the higher the chances are something will and you end up with LFR, 4k graphics and ElvUI. (listed these things as things which did not exist in vanilla, not that they are bad).

I find it quite interesting there are so many threads on this forum discussing possible vanilla changes. I have been playing since vanilla and still do every expansion. I love retail, I appreciate WoW's past. I have nothing against bring WoW: Classic - the more content there is for people the better.

However, if the goal is to preserve the authentic vanilla experience, outside of bug/crash fixes, nothing else changes. From classes to bosses to drops to systems - everything remains as in vanilla. If you attempt to discuss changes, authentic goes out the door. The only QoL changes must be bug fixes and nothing else.

Just have a look at the list of threads/polls now on this page:

"Poll: Vanilla WoW Yay or Nah to the new graphics?"
    22% want new graphics

"Poll: What changes to classic would you be okay with?"
    35% want modern addon/lua/macro support
    34% want modern character models/animations
    34% want modern graphics
    32% want modern interface
    15% want nerf to known gold farming spots
    20% want class balancing
    22% want spec viability
    38% want auto loot as an option
    30% want auto area loot
    13% want quest helper
    9% want premade dungeon finder
    26% want stacking soulshards
    22% want debuffs raised/removed
    12% want limit stacking of consumables
    17% want more challenging bosses
    17% want guild bank
    37% want no changes

"QoL needed for an amazing classic experience"
    "Poll: Should Talents be Class-Specific rather than Spec-specific?"
    "A change classic servers absolutely needs"
    "Poll: Would you prefer no updates or updates?"
    "Why WoW: Classic Needs the Tweaks"

Now, sure, some of these threads are clearly trolls and bait, but you realize Blizzard will poll the COMMUNITY. That means EVERYONE, people who love Classic AND people who HATE classic will vote. People who have never played Classic will vote for features they never experienced first hand.

While the Classic community is quite vocal and has been asking for Classic for a long time, the casual WoW retail players are a lot more. So how would you select whose votes matter?
    This question is really important when it comes down to the intricate details of vanilla, such as the detailed poll I posted above in this post illustrates - stacking soulshards? debuff slots? spec viability? You can see a basic poll on mmochampion results in such high %s for things which are unthinkable for vanilla.
    Make polls only for the people that have accounts in classic. Problem solved

If blizzard make polls they're gonna be in game and away from the haters.

Quote Originally Posted by FireVoodoo View Post
    I honestly don't get it. You hate Classic, you never want it implemented, why the heck do you care about gameplay experience of those, who wanted it since forever?

Just enjoy your new xpack (btw I will for some time) and all the QoL it has. Leave Vanilla alone.
    Availability. And I am not referring to people who hate Classic, but to those who would play it, BUT with changes. None of the people in these threads mention they hate classic - on the opposite, they really want to play it as they made threads about it.

The average Joe who pays his sub every month hears about Classic coming - an opportunity to go back in time and try what he never did before. But he hears there is no LFG tool, which he has been using for the past few years? Why not vote for it?

The Joe that played classic and is playing retail now - an opportunity for him to go back in time and re-do it. But he plays X class now which was really bad in classic. Why not vote for equal balanced classes?

In both cases you can easily justify why to make the change - it is only logical for all classes to be balanced, to have a nice tool to form groups, etc. But was it like that in vanilla?

Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    Availability. And I am not referring to people who hate Classic, but to those who would play it, BUT with changes. None of the people in these threads mention they hate classic - on the opposite, they really want to play it as they made threads about it.

The average Joe who pays his sub every month hears about Classic coming - an opportunity to go back in time and try what he never did before. But he hears there is no LFG tool, which he has been using for the past few years? Why not vote for it?

The Joe that played classic and is playing retail now - an opportunity for him to go back in time and re-do it. But he plays X class now which was really bad in classic. Why not vote for equal balanced classes?

In both cases you can easily justify why to make the change - it is only logical for all classes to be balanced, to have a nice tool to form groups, etc. But was it like that in vanilla?
    I'm pretty sure that Blizzard have enough experience in market research to be able to cover these things and focus in on what the players who are most likely to play classic wow want rather than the general population.

They just need a clear design philosphy, which it seems they have. To provide an experience as authentic to the orginal Vanilla wow as possible. That's in gameplay terms, but not necessarily tech/behind the scenes terms.

So no LFR or any of that bullshit, 1.12 WoW is what is needed.

Let me say I think the only thing I can really think I might want added/changed, and even this is one of those that if they don't I'm not going to throw a fit, but I wouldn't mind having a basic group finder. Now I'm not talking LFD, and I'm not talking about a big cross server thing, but something very basic where you can list and just let people know you are out there. I realize this will change the game slightly in that you won't need to sit in town and bark, so like I said it's not something I'm going to sit around and argue about or cry if they did or didn't do it.

Ultimately I am perfectly ok with playing it exactly as it was in every way, but that is just one small change that I don't think would taint the experience that much while making it a bit more palatable.

Deleted
    MMO C is usually a Class Hall of bonobos but holy fuck after Classic announcement

This place looks like an asylium for retards.

You wanted Vanilla, and now asking for tweak because the "shitty" retail was too much comfy, oh the irony.

And ofc the stubborn vanilla rose tinted peeps like Vinzeri can't understand that Blizzard will not deploy a 1:1 vanilla with bugs exploit and all the " how about no" stuff that were hated even back the day.

Not mention the "which patch is the real vanilla? 1.12? 1.9? Pre BG?"

Also all the people wanting and rejecting QoL??? You want Vanilla with the dungeon finder? Rofl
    You don't wanna Dungeon Journal but you are fine with atlasloot and big wings? Lel go play with no add-ons at all then come back and tell me you enjoyed it sheep

Really this announcement just proved how idiot you are guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Shad View Post
    MMO C is usually a Class Hall of bonobos but holy fuck after Classic announcement

This place looks like an asylium for retards.

You wanted Vanilla, and now asking for tweak because the "shitty" retail was too much comfy, oh the irony.

And ofc the stubborn vanilla rose tinted peeps like Vinzeri can't understand that Blizzard will not deploy a 1:1 vanilla with bugs exploit and all the " how about no" stuff that were hated even back the day.

Not mention the "which patch is the real vanilla? 1.12? 1.9? Pre BG?"

Also all the people wanting and rejecting QoL??? You want Vanilla with the dungeon finder? Rofl
    You don't wanna Dungeon Journal but you are fine with atlasloot and big wings? Lel go play with no add-ons at all then come back and tell me you enjoyed it sheep

Really this announcement just proved how idiot you are guys.
    The add on argument is never a good one to make, they were part of the game just like they are now, whether you chose to use them or not was strictly up to you. I will say that people wanting modern tools in Vanilla should just stay on live and leave it alone. If we are going to end up with LFD and all of that stuff Blizzard is just wasting their time and money.

Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    I will say that people wanting modern tools in Vanilla should just stay on live and leave it alone. If we are going to end up with LFD and all of that stuff Blizzard is just wasting their time and money.
    LFD will be recreated as an addon pretty fast so it's gonna be in there no matter what.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    LFD will be recreated as an addon pretty fast so it's gonna be in there no matter what.
    There will always be several discord servers to quickly find people anyways.

Deleted
    No matter what happens, the vanilla fanbois will never be pleased. When people clear MC with pugs within 2 days of dinging 60 people will say "Blizzard obviously nerfed everything, this wasn't how it was in Vanilla. It was tuned waaaaay harder".

Classic should be classic. In fact, I would rather blizzard not allowing mods at all. I know there were a few but most people didnt bother with that.
    English is not my main language so grammar errors might happen.

Quote Originally Posted by De Lupe View Post
    You'd be surprised what Nostalgia can do.

30-year nostalgia is the reason Ducktales is back.

Off topic about Ducktales..

Why the fuck did the new animators choose to make the heads of the kids.. square.
    It is soo god damn offputting.
    "Everything always changes. The best plan lasts until the first arrow leaves the bow." - Matrim Cauthon

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sastank View Post
    Small poll but enough to show that people don't actually want Vanilla experience. They're bandwagoners who never played it, further proving my theory about this circle jerk.
    That 100% depends on how you interpret the data. That's the issue with all public statistics and their misleading titles.
    Simply invert the numbers and negate the vote.
    Suddenly you see that most people actually WANT Vanilla the way it's meant to be.

37% want no changes
    This is the only thing that goes into the direction of what you said. And the number is fairly misleading as it doesn't tell exactly what changes are wanted. Is it bug fixes or actual changes? Personally I'd see some stupid bugs (i.e. kneeling loot animation) fixed. I would also advocate some very minor buffs to unplayable speccs, but not to an extent that they are GOOD. Bad Specs should remain bad, but you shouldn't be super punished for it. In a 5 man group a good player should be able to offset a bad spec.

BUT:
    Even though I would like to see minor changes, it doesn't mean that I would be unhappy if there is not gonna be any changes.
    Looking at each provided data point individually you can clearly see that the majority of people don't want CHANGES. They do, indeed, want vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    Of course, well unless Blizzard breaks things, but it still won't make things as easy, you still won't be magically teleported to an instance. It will still require some effort of some kind which honestly is more or less the essence of Vanilla even if it's not as bad as having to stand around and bark.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by slaskel View Post
    No matter what happens, the vanilla fanbois will never be pleased. When people clear MC with pugs within 2 days of dinging 60 people will say "Blizzard obviously nerfed everything, this wasn't how it was in Vanilla. It was tuned waaaaay harder".
    Don't see that happening. Skill only takes you so far in the Vanilla game, unless people can do it without resist gear and the required gear for healers and tanks. That is the thing that slowed Vanilla down more than anything, gear dropped in much smaller quantities than it does now and much of the supplemental stuff took rep grinds or PvP ranks. I just don't think people will be lucky enough to get enough gear to drop it in two days, but hey who knows.