Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Another thing to consider about Vanilla's reason;s for unseen popularity? Many people started after vanilla/BC/Wrath... This allows them to "go back in time" and experience the lore, the game, the mechanics... for the very first time.

To experience what it is like to start on a server where everyone starts at level ONE... No one is max level in 12 hours, what it feels to be dirt poor and need to make a few silver to buy your next spell/ability.

To be the first hunter with a rare pet, the first tailor with Red Mageweave Leggings, the first blacksmith to craft a phantom blade, the first enchanter with crusader!

This has only happened in WoW (legitmately) one time.... and now, everyone can experience the game for the very first time.

Quote Originally Posted by fooliuscaesar13 View Post
    What the hell does me liking/missing talent trees have to do with allegedly not getting into "a serious raiding guild in vanilla"?
    Serious raiding guild in vanilla... lul...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    Another thing to consider about Vanilla's reason;s for unseen popularity? Many people started after vanilla/BC/Wrath... This allows them to "go back in time" and experience the lore, the game, the mechanics... for the very first time.

To experience what it is like to start on a server where everyone starts at level ONE... No one is max level in 12 hours, what it feels to be dirt poor and need to make a few silver to buy your next spell/ability.

To be the first hunter with a rare pet, the first tailor with Red Mageweave Leggings, the first blacksmith to craft a phantom blade, the first enchanter with crusader!

This has only happened in WoW (legitmately) one time.... and now, everyone can experience the game for the very first time.
    I will ONLY play it for the questing experience decimated by fucking cata.

Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    I don't think I've seen anyone say Vanilla was perfect. Just that it is better than current... and some say (me included) far better.

Of course it had it's flaws... after all it was the first incarnation! Some of us think that current WoW, despite it's beauty, is so much shallower and less of a game. Many people will gladly sacrifice graphics and newer models for the rewarding gameplay that older WoW offers.

I am giddy to get this back:

Some say it's better, and most talk out of their ass cuz they haven't played in over 10 years. They aren't gonna enjoy it the way they did, because they are not the same person, the game doesn't just spew out fun in a quantitative way that is the same for everyone at anytime. It all depends on our perception and about a million other factors that are not in the game. If people were that into vanilla, the private servers should have been exploding with LITERALLY millions of people. It's nowhere near that, nowhere at all. I know some people are really like morally correct and refuse to touch it cuz it's not legal, but let's face it, that's not the majority of any blizzard game community. Private servers have only a few thousand people on them, it's microscopic, people wish they can re-live what it was in 2004, but that comes with their entire life back in 2004, not just the game.

The old talent trees: 3 pages but only one way of putting your points in them (there was not more choices back then, there was one correct way to spec just like today, only the bad players of vanilla thought they could blindly click everywhere in their talent pages. Also there's a bunch of specs that were not usable.) I'm sure you're gonna be excited to get a new sword when your points are in mace mastery and you have to farm to get enough gold to respec to end up getting a new axe the next day and having to think if you should just suck at dps or get a mount?

This talent tree is absolutely fucking garbage, there's a ton of completely boring talents that you are forced to get to end up finally putting a point in something meaningful. Now don't get me wrong, the current talent pages aren't really any better, WoW has always had shit talent trees that offer close to no choices, or the choices are so obvious they aren't considered choices. It's just not a valid reason to be hyped about Classic IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Thinking something is good =/= thinking it's "flawless"

and yet you call us delusional

lol
    People offended by words, chill the fuck out you know what I meant, jesus christ.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thagrynor View Post
    Just want to make sure I understand this right:

You make the claim that "Vanilla WoW is not about raids" and then start off with "I never played Vanilla"? How the hell would you know what Vanilla was like? Because you played a different game that was not Vanilla WoW that was different because it was a different game? Yet you think the experience was identical?

I played since beta, and raided through Vanilla from MC to Naxx. I wasn't some world first, but we made it through, chugging along and struggling at times. I can tell you that, late into Vanilla, the raids and preparing for them and grinding mats for money for repairs and ammo (I played a hunter) and potions and stuff were a huge part of my gaming time. It was the time I spent with huge numbers of my friends. It held most of all my best memories from Vanilla. From when I got the items to get Rohk'delar to finishing that quest chain and getting it to all the frustration and laughing over missing a class call and watching my last bow break and having to melee Nefarian during the last 5% to finally getting the Twin Emps down to first stepping into Naxx 40. It was during one of those raids that I convinced one of my best friends to ask out another one of our friends (they are currently married with 2 kids). It was during one of those raids that I met my gf (ex now, but we were together for years and it was ensuing distance that drove us apart as she had to move). Those are the memories I have of WoW which are ALL tied deeply to raiding.

Hell, there are still inside jokes that have survived from our MC days that get my buddies and I laughing.

To say that Vanilla was not about raids is a BS statement, because for a lot of people, it was about raids and all that went along with them. And saying that because you played some other game back then where it wasn't about raiding, so Vanilla wasn't either, is ridiculous.

Next you'll tell me that owning a Mercedes isn't about having a nice car because you owned a Kia and it was about just being able to get places. That is how your reasoning sounds.
    you're right mate, you see my point is that I understand the sentiment of a lot players that I have seen on streams or talk on discord or ingame because I too played a contemporary MMO. Also from what I read on this thread, lots of people have diferent reasons on why they liked vanilla wow, for some of them vanilla is all about the comnunity, for some the pvp and finally some like you that is all about the raids, I feel I have been corrected in a lot of things and that's the point of discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Alienshroom View Post
    Playing underdog spec is a lot of what makes vanilla fun for a lot of people.
    Except a lot of them weren't really underdogs they were just shit

Deleted
    Interestingly enough, it seems Blizzard just needed to announce official WoW classic version to burst the "Vanilla is life, Vanilla is love" bubble and have everyone argue about what is the best kind of wow all over again...

Quote Originally Posted by Swalload View Post
    Some say it's better, and most talk out of their ass cuz they haven't played in over 10 years. They aren't gonna enjoy it the way they did, because they are not the same person, the game doesn't just spew out fun in a quantitative way that is the same for everyone at anytime. It all depends on our perception and about a million other factors that are not in the game. If people were that into vanilla, the private servers should have been exploding with LITERALLY millions of people. It's nowhere near that, nowhere at all. I know some people are really like morally correct and refuse to touch it cuz it's not legal, but let's face it, that's not the majority of any blizzard game community. Private servers have only a few thousand people on them, it's microscopic, people wish they can re-live what it was in 2004, but that comes with their entire life back in 2004, not just the game.

The old talent trees: 3 pages but only one way of putting your points in them (there was not more choices back then, there was one correct way to spec just like today, only the bad players of vanilla thought they could blindly click everywhere in their talent pages. Also there's a bunch of specs that were not usable.) I'm sure you're gonna be excited to get a new sword when your points are in mace mastery and you have to farm to get enough gold to respec to end up getting a new axe the next day and having to think if you should just suck at dps or get a mount?

This talent tree is absolutely fucking garbage, there's a ton of completely boring talents that you are forced to get to end up finally putting a point in something meaningful. Now don't get me wrong, the current talent pages aren't really any better, WoW has always had shit talent trees that offer close to no choices, or the choices are so obvious they aren't considered choices. It's just not a valid reason to be hyped about Classic IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

People offended by words, chill the fuck out you know what I meant, jesus christ.
    lmao. This entire movement was start because too many people had been playing vanilla private servers. You have already been proven wrong.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eucaliptus View Post
    I didnt play vanilla (dont know if begining of BC counts), olanning to play Classic, so can you please explain what can you do there for years without raiding?
    What I did were 5-mans and gold making, which was more than enough to fill my playtimes. I leveled exclusively via dungeons (because I hate questing), which in vanilla typically meant doing one dungeon per night. The dungeons didn't get old to me because the actual gameplay in them was much more engaging and involved than today—you don't get bored of chess just because the board is the same and many of the patterns of play repeat. The dungeon experience was very different from anything that came after (including TBC heroics). For example, you could easily spend a whole Sunday afternoon in BRD, and not even finish it.

Between dungeons and professions (and AH trading), I will have no trouble filling two years of my casual playtime. Then I can roll an Alliance character (that I've never done) and get another year or more of playtime. Maybe roll a tank, another year. Or I can get into PvP and try classic AV, which I want to experience.

And importantly, a large part of vanilla was the feeling of being in a community. IRL people go play tennis, or drink beer, regularly with the same people without getting bored. You get nothing like it in current WoW, so the game now relies on a constant stream of new content and gear to keep people engaged. Vanilla was not dependent on that to anywhere near the same extent.

lmao. This entire movement was start because too many people had been playing vanilla private servers. You have already been proven wrong.
    There never was over 100k players across all private servers put together. You were wrong before typing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagash View Post
    Interestingly enough, it seems Blizzard just needed to announce official WoW classic version to burst the "Vanilla is life, Vanilla is love" bubble and have everyone argue about what is the best kind of wow all over again...
    To a degree. People just never bothered going into to detail of what they did and didn't want cause most never thought Blizzard would actually do it. So people just agreed that Vanilla was awesome and left it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by kraid View Post
    I see people already asking about raids and dificulties, calm down people.
    I never played vanilla but I played RO (Ragnarok Online) when it came up, I had tons of fun just playing the world and some dungeons, a very good time, the point is that I can understand the sentiment of some of the players and streamers that push for classic server, not caring wheter you're raiding or not, even just leveling and doing low level dungeons feel as good, its an adventure and I think this is the case because the content is non trivial, it matters.
    For many of use, vanilla was about raids and to be fair, there is not much more else to do at max level.
    You get to a point where there is no gear to get outside raids.

There never was over 100k players across all private servers put together. You were wrong before typing.
    Haha have fun being miserable kid. Delusion and lies

Haha have fun being miserable kid. Delusion and lies
    K, stay wrong.

Deleted
    i cant wait to try out classic wow , never played it before (not even private server) but i love the look of many things so far .

K, stay wrong.
    Yea we are so wrong yet got exactly what we wanted. Delusion...

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Drew View Post
    Vanilla was unbalanced because of gear gap, not class design. And guess what for some, this is what made wow great. At least for me.
    The feeling your character is progressing, all this hours farming t2 were finally paying when you met a t0.5 char. in the open world. It was a rpg.

And the people you see complaining about pvp balance in legion are pve realmers who play random bg and get 3v1 and then cry on forum.
    All the "pro" scene agree to say that this is the most balanced expansion we ever had.
    Is it possible that both of those are edge cases and there could be a middle ground?

Yea we are so wrong yet got exactly what we wanted. Delusion...
    Right now there's one guy working on it. Yes one guy, there will be more but this will never be a big team. It's not a ressource sink. They're gonna end up with a team of less than 10 people and what they gain from it (both people coming back, people staying for it, and shutting people up about it) far outweighs the cost of 10 people and a few servers.

Don't get me wrong, I want classic too, I'll be playing it. But people think it's gonna be bigger than retail. You're crazy. It's gonna spike when it releases, and people will quit cuz they face the fact that it's not the same fun they had when they were 13 years younger, because they were fucking 13 years younger, with less gaming experience, less responsibilities, more time, everything was different. Playing a game is not just getting fun force fed into you, it's an experience like any other in your life, your own situation changes the appreciation of it. Now people will play it without the discovery factor, without the community, with a fucking lot of toxic comments in chat from people who realize they can't buy all their skills at the trainer cuz it's too expensive, etc. What was natural and accepted in 2004 won't be as well received in 2018 or 2019 whenever it releases. That's just how things go, it's not gonna be that different.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Drew View Post
    Vanilla was unbalanced because of gear gap, not class design. And guess what for some, this is what made wow great. At least for me.
    The feeling your character is progressing, all this hours farming t2 were finally paying when you met a t0.5 char. in the open world. It was a rpg.

And the people you see complaining about pvp balance in legion are pve realmers who play random bg and get 3v1 and then cry on forum.
    All the "pro" scene agree to say that this is the most balanced expansion we ever had.
    Frostmages kiting melee enemies with rank 1 frostbolts proves you argument wrong.
    HolgerDK Stærkodder Shocknorrís
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.

I can't wait to see "we want flying" and "class balance is broken" posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    Its mostly just the anti-vanilla people moving the goal posts and complaining with all of their might about people wanting it. I think there is an inherent fear that more people will play Classic rather than current and it makes them mad for whatever reason.
    Lol, there is exactly 0% chance that Classic would overtake Live, just FYI.

Similar logic as every gaming platform having retro series concurrent with current series. I seriously, seriously doubt Pokémon Yellow on Virtual Console outsold X and Y. Or Sun and Moon.

In fact, I'd wager all retro re-releases combined did not outsell a single version of one of the new releases.

But...somehow people think the now-grown men and women will come out of the woodwork to shut down Live with their ferocious support for Classic servers...?
    Last edited by Goobaman; 2017-11-07 at 11:06 PM.