Quote Originally Posted by Laerrus View Post
    Just a heads up, this is not a movie to take your Wife or Girlfriend to. The Blade Runner universe is more geared towards men and manly tastes.
    Seems kinda misogynistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    A term that is often overused in today's world.

Misogany? Not really. Everything has it's place in our world. My Wife would not expect me to go to a romantic drama, which is also completely fair.

10+ Year Old Account
    Misogyny is a Greek word, stems from misos (hatred) and gyni (woman). I'm pretty sure we don't hate our girlfriends or wives.

Well, maybe after 20 years of marriage.

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Yeah ladies hate Ryan gosling why would they want to watch blade runner. Dudes uglier than a malnourished rat.

Dazed and confused - 9/10. Wish we got more movies like this these days. Chilled, great music and an enjoyable ride with memorable characters even if the acting is hit and miss. Probably the best high school movie ive seen. "Got any weed? Be a lot cooler if you did"

Misogany? Not really. Everything has it's place in our world. My Wife would not expect me to go to a romantic drama, which is also completely fair.
    I don't see why gender should or does determine whether one would enjoy a romantic drama and/or a sci-fi noir.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Misogyny is a Greek word, stems from misos (hatred) and gyni (woman). I'm pretty sure we don't hate our girlfriends or wives.

Well, maybe after 20 years of marriage.
    Sexism then.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't see why gender should or does determine whether one would enjoy a romantic drama and/or a sci-fi noir.
    It doesn't. But taste and gender go more often than not hand in hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    It doesn't. But taste and gender go more often than not hand in hand.
    The female UFC division disagrees with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Linri View Post
    Bahuubali 1 & 2

7/10

These movies were awesome! War Scenes, romance, singing, 1v1 fights, over the top effects.

Hindi Movie (Baliwood) As a newborn, the heir to the throne is displaced out of his kingdom, and raised by strangers. 25 year pass, and the man decides to adventure out of his village. He encounters new people, gorgeous women, warrior factions and is thrust into a struggle for power to reclaim his birthright, the throne.
    I still need to see the second one, but I found the first one entertaining.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sexism then.
    There is nothing wrong with sexism. It's biological and it's based on personal experiences.

Unless it hurts the other sex, not stuff like "men can't multitask" "women know nothing about cars" or better yet "women aren't interested in a movie like Blade Runner" or "men aren't interested in a movie like Twilight".

Doesn't mean any of them are true either. Just anecdotes.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    A lot of difference between - Hating or having Prejudice against Women (actual Misogyny) and just having something that is more suited to 1 Gender.

I wouldn't expect most Men to enjoy Magic Mike, but I wouldn't say people would be Misandrist to imply it is for a more Female crowd.

On-Topic - Thor: Ragnarok. Amazing Movie. good action, Music, comedy, 8.5/10. Only loses points because of how it treated some of the characters.

A Ghost Story - 8/10
    I liked the movie quite a bit, but the subject matter is kind of heavy if not prepared for it.

There is nothing wrong with sexism. It's biological and it's based on personal experiences.

Unless it hurts the other sex, not stuff like "men can't multitask" "women know nothing about cars" or better yet "women aren't interested in a movie like Blade Runner" or "men aren't interested in a movie like Twilight".

Doesn't mean any of them are true either. Just anecdotes.
    The line between "wrong" and "not true" is not one I'm intricately familiar with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shot Caller: 8/10

Extremely underrated little gem over here, had me intrigued and glued to the chair from start to finish. A grade prison movie.

Brawl in Cell Block 99: 7.5/10

Visceral and brutal. Vince Vaughn plays the cold and super efficient killer flawlessly. Writing had some faults, some stuff didn't need to be there which could have helped with the long running time. Still, pretty good execution.

Good Time (2017) - 6/10

It's a certain type of movie. The type probably has a real name, but I'm gonna call it the "drunken late-night type". It reminds me of another (German) movie from 2015 called Victoria, which I didn't like myself. Both follow some people's late-night city adventures, where they are pretty tired, maybe a bit drunk/high, stressed, confused, and they have odd, surreal adventures where they make a lot of poor decisions.

Some people like that type of movie, I'm less keen on it. I found the movie pretty uncomfortable to watch at certain parts, but that was the intend, so I didn't really dislike that. What I dislike more is how the movie stumbled through its running time like it was in a drunken stupor. The middle part of the movie I found especially dull, odd and aimless. The beginning and end were fine though, which made me not think the movie was completely meh. Robert Pattinson is indeed pretty good in the movie.

I was pretty close to giving it 7/10 for the ending, but writing about it made me drop the score down to 6/10 again. It's fine, and if the movie engages you, you can probably think a lot about the deeper meaning of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    A lot of difference between - Hating or having Prejudice against Women (actual Misogyny) and just having something that is more suited to 1 Gender.

I wouldn't expect most Men to enjoy Magic Mike, but I wouldn't say people would be Misandrist to imply it is for a more Female crowd.
    Yes yes, sexism was the right word to use.

People can argue what is or isn't harmful sexism, but I found the wording:

"Just a heads up, this is not a movie to take your Wife or Girlfriend to. The Blade Runner universe is more geared towards men and manly tastes."

to be a pretty bad case and very presumptuous, especially on an open forum where I know at least some women do like Blade Runner.

10+ Year Old Account
    A Ghost Story: 7/10

It's a really unique and depressing movie, but honestly I was expecting a more grand experience. Maybe simplicity was the point though.

Not exactly sure how Blade Runner is specifically geared towards men. Its more romantic than Thor: Ragnarok for example. Come to think of it, its much more romantic than almost every other movie I've seen this year.

People call everything about Twilight bad and horrible, including the acting, but maybe they gave exactly the performance the director asked for?
    Ah. Yes, that's what I was trying to get at.
    Last edited by Arctagon; 2017-11-07 at 11:54 PM.

(Wait a minute. Wasn't I sexist when I rated the Lego Ninjago movie?)

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Watched Ninja Scroll (1991, anime) on desktop last night. It's animated, but it's like 90s action animated.

The other thing about rating this as a movie is that I have to take some points off because it's kind of niche. Like, regardless of age/gender, anyone can watch Frozen because it's somewhat neutral, even if it caters to kids/should-be-adults-but-are-still_kids. You'll have a hard time convincing me that a majority females or old people won't be snooty to actually watch this. Personally, as a guy who grew up watching japanese cartoons and who likes action, this movie was sort of like a guilty pleasure for me so I'm biased toward liking/being fine with it.
    (Oh yeah, no one takes me seriously so they disregarded it. :/) Lols.

I still don't have time to watch a movie. I checked out Citizen Kane sort of by like. Clicking the time bar at a few points to see what it was like...yeah..............it's like some super old movie from a different era that my grandpa would like. I saw this lady act all pouty and entitled and it was like...that was good acting or how women behaved from the time? It was weird. (Omg I'm being sexist again.)
    Last edited by Blueobelisk; 2017-11-07 at 10:46 PM.

The Red Turtle (La tortue rouge) (2016)

A joint production between Studio Ghibli and Wild Bunch under the direction of Michaël Dudok de Wit, The Red Turtle is a universal film in the true sense of the word: void of dialogue and cultural influence. The visuals are awe-inspiring and fraught with personality, and much like the story, they are also somehow simultaneously simple and detailed. The world is infused with the familiar Studio Ghibli charm and realistic quirks. A simple story with a simple message told in a profound way and accompanied by music that is beautifully poignant and goes well with the setting.

I like the film more the more I think about it, and it doubtlessly has the potential to grow into a ten. It's a masterpiece.

Verdict: 9-/10

A Ghost Story: 7/10
    Maybe simplicity was the point though.
    I think so. The film shows how small and meaningless an individual life is in the context of time/the universe. His life only meant something to him, his wife and a relatively small number of humans whom also likely did not mean anything. His death is not grand either- it's literally and figuratively accidental. When he rages, he rages that his sense of self is forgotten. Etc.