Poll: Should Classic server xmog, transfer over to live?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I have a counter-suggestion: How about we give the cosmetic and title rewards from Classic to *every* account on Live? If you want the Black Qiraji Tank then here you go. It is yours. Same with Corrupted Ashbringer, Anathema/Benediction, T3 et al.

Just stay out of Classic unless you really want to play it for what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Nope, should be fully cut off except for Battle.net. People wished for the classic experience, after all.
    should be cut off from battle.net as well

Quote Originally Posted by Teto View Post
    I'd only play vanilla if I can get transmog transfered to "Retail" Wow because I still want Benediction back and I want tier 3 that not thousands of gold.
    "thousands"

HAH if only

Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    Well that's different than the business expectation. He talks about classic wow as if its a museum piece (which it basically is) being preserved to be enjoyed. That makes it sounds like they'll just dump it onto a server, and basically ignore it without further investment.

To be plain, if there is no way to make continuous money off of classic WoW, there won't be QA, bug fixes, exploit fixes, tech support, customer support, character recovery, game masters, server admins, etc. All that takes time, and anytime something goes wrong, it costs money to fix it. There will absolutely be some level of continued revenue, maybe $5/month or something. In order to keep it worthwhile, they need to attract people to the game. I might be wrong that they won't open it up to collectors, but to suggest that they will just plop classic onto a server and ignore the money it's burning for fuel would be silly.
    Eh. Even Diablo 2 and Diablo 3 still receive bug fixes. Plus I think it's more of a business experiment to see how people react. If the playerbase react the same way it reacted to OldSchool Runescape, then we can expect more. If not, then it's a museum piece with minimal life support, like, again, Diablo 3.

Transmog on vanilla? Sure. But limit it to vanilla only gear. It's not like with the prices it'll come with anyone will be able to afford it anyway when they're still grinding for their first mount.

People are misreading the OP's question. It is not about adding Tmog to vanilla servers, it is about having Vanilla looks be unlocked for your bnet account and thus usuable on your non classic version.

I am all for it. It doesn't alter the vanilla experience at all and gives extra incentive to actually play it.

10+ Year Old Account
    There isn't really that much classic wow stuff you can't get these days.

I'm not sure if its nice to suddenly have a ton of people running around with Benediction/Corrupted Ashbringer..

Few Naxx items like Servo Arm could be fun to see again though.
    Last edited by Sanguinerd; 2017-11-07 at 11:24 PM.

How would they make money if the only people playing it are the small minority who just want the nostalgia? There'd have to be some reward so people would play it.
    They aren't really making any money from people moving from Standard to Classic. Both people are still paying regardless of what they play. If Blizzard decided to add Classic servers, it is because they want to attract players who wouldn't otherwise play Standard, or they're simply doing it to protect their IP, or as a good will gesture. I don't think they have much to gain from forcefully mixing the populations. Sure, Classic will be there as an option for Standard players during content lulls, but it should be their option to go there.

In theory, I wouldn't be against @SirCowdog's idea of earning things the proper way, but it would be impossible to track something as detailed as transmog without the actual interface, it would be impossible to add mounts without making them learnable, etc... and I think these things would be even more intrusive than many other proposed QoL changes, like class balance, stackable shards, etc, because they change the intent, the core of the game, rather than being mere tweaks. And many Vanilla purists think even the tweaks are too much.

At most I can imagine some very generic hidden milestone achievements, like reaching level 60, killing an end boss, and pretty much that, with a reward in Standard. There's no way of tracking these in Classic, you don't see when you get them, but when you log back in Standard you get the toast and the reward. Even this can be cause issues related to achievement tourism and people complaining about the difficulty or opening senseless tickets because they can't tell they got the achievement.

I'm still inclined to think adding the items back in Standard is the best way to please everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiedzemir View Post
    Eh. Even Diablo 2 and Diablo 3 still receive bug fixes. Plus I think it's more of a business experiment to see how people react. If the playerbase react the same way it reacted to OldSchool Runescape, then we can expect more. If not, then it's a museum piece with minimal life support, like, again, Diablo 3.
    D2 and D3 are still quite popular, and do make money. If they don't make WoW Classic make money, I doubt they'll just throw money away for the lulz.
    Last edited by God Save The King; 2017-11-07 at 11:32 PM.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Kayb View Post
    No way. They wanted vanilla, that's what they should get. I look forward to the rose tinted glasses shattering.
    Isn't that kind of a shit way of thinking.
    Like this is what the issue with WoW's community is, all people want to do is complain and then get excited when some people don't get what they wanted.
    WE SHOULD FIX THIS. JOIN THE FIGHT TO SAVE THE WOW COMMUNITY.

I have the Tabard of the Protector from the Dark Portal opening event a decade or so ago. It's not technically vanilla, but it's as near as.

It's not much, granted, but I'm proud to wear it, and I don't want to see others running around in it (and similar items) who weren't there at the time. Hence my vote of 'no'.

15+ Year Old Account
    Wouldn't mind finishing off my set without paying millions of gold for the last 2 pieces. Classic is likely to have battle.net integration so it could definitely work. I don't want a fully fledged achievement system in classic but I'd like the transmog to carry over to live.

Ideally though they'd just add a timewalking naxx40 to live and have people loot gear from that.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

Quote Originally Posted by Dispraise View Post
    No, the point was that getting them now shouldn't transfer to live.

And they are. In Classic. This isn't a counter argument. To be a counter argument it has to counter something I've said, instead of just being irrelevant.

This means dick all to me.

Seeing as I don't give a flying fuck about that, no.
    But the more people are playing Classic, the more Blizzard will care about Classic.

Unless you want Classic to fail hard.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenNorth View Post
    We want the community back, not the items.
    I'm sorry to say but that's never going to happen. I tried a few unofficial classic servers and the community is just totally different than the one 12+ years ago.

I think most people who will play classic will go in fully aware of what the meta classes are for specific patches, how to min/max their gear and how to play their class. That makes 75% of the items on classic obsolete and creates a huge competition for a few specific items. When I tried it, trade chat was flooded with people farming emperor thaurissan for HoJ or making 25 man pug raids with "X item reserved". In other words, it was total cancer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    literally 100% carbon copy of Vanilla
    minus the bugs
    Pick one.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

I fully expect Blizzard to isolate your Classic account from your Retail account so that nothing carries over.

Though personally, I have little interest in playing Vanilla if the mogs/mounts/titles/achievements/etc don't carry over to my live account.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    I completely understand why a small minority want to relive the past. I have yearned for the days of old in my life, from childhood memories, to old versions of the game. I get it.

But your post makes it 100% obvious that you don't understand that Blizzard is a business, not interested catering to some tiny little crowd that is a fraction of live's population. Feel free to quote me on this in a year or two when they announce whatever incentive they'll add to make it profitable.

- - - Updated - - -

D2 and D3 are still quite popular, and do make money. If they don't make WoW Classic make money, I doubt they'll just throw money away for the lulz.
    If they do add an incentive, then they would completely misunderstand the intentions of why people have been asking for years for Classic to be reintroduced. The people playing on private servers obviously had zero chance of getting any cosmetic rewards transferred to Live.

If Classic cannot stand on its own legs, then it will fall. Simple as that.

Or just give people a fun pet and a mount on Live for reaching level 40 on Classic. Not something you'd do in an afternoon, yet it wouldn't be too bad for the community when people leave at that point. This would even make sense in a way, because if people don't like Classic by level 40 then they likely never will. They still have a carrot to entice them to try it out.

However, that said, I still don't like the idea of luring people onto Classic just for the sake of it, and I do feel the idea is stupid beyond words.

Quote Originally Posted by Erwarth View Post
    Unless you want Classic to fail hard.
    I don't care about Classic either way. It is my opinion that playing Live should have no benefits while playing Classic, and playing Classic should have no benefits while playing Live.

The pro-classic community has claimed for years that it can stand on it's own, and maintain a playerbase in the tens of thousands at least. Either they're right, or they're not. Makes no difference to me either way.
    The reports of my death were surprisingly well-sourced and accurate.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    I'm sorry to say but that's never going to happen. I tried a few unofficial classic servers and the community is just totally different than the one 12+ years ago.

I think most people who will play classic will go in fully aware of what the meta classes are for specific patches, how to min/max their gear and how to play their class. That makes 75% of the items on classic obsolete and creates a huge competition for a few specific items. When I tried it, trade chat was flooded with people farming emperor thaurissan for HoJ or making 25 man pug raids with "X item reserved". In other words, it was total cancer.
    This is more of a concern to me, and I am sorry to say you may be correct here. However, for what it is worth, then this was not my experience from what (very limited) experience I had on a private server. The class focus was a thing in my guild, but people were nice to one another. I didn't reach max level however.

Even more reason to disallow cosmetic rewards from Classic to carry over to Live IMO.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenNorth View Post
    This is more of a concern to me, and I am sorry to say you may be correct here. However, for what it is worth, then this was not my experience from what (very limited) experience I had on a private server. The class focus was a thing in my guild, but people were nice to one another. I didn't reach max level however.

Even more reason to disallow cosmetic rewards from Classic to carry over to Live IMO.
    Imo, your best bet is to find a good group of people early on and enjoy the journey together.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    That's just being pedantic, bugs clearly aren't an integral part of the game - why say something if it doesn't add any value to the thread
    It wouldn't be the real classic experience without boats in stonetalon mountains or being stuck in the loot animation for 2 hours.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

There is likely to be technical limitations to this, firstly vanilla is a seperate set of code to the wow we know today, because of this its likely that in order to access the vanilla servers you will probably need to run a seperate client unless they are going to do some complete witchcraft to get it running through the same client. if it does end up being two different clients then this is still possible via the underlying database but only stuff earned in classic being available in the new client would be possible and only if the art assets existed in both clients, doing it the other way round would not as the art assets from the current version of wow would not be in the vanilla client.

Talking of vanilla i do feel sorry for anyone who is planning on playing a tank class because more than likely there will be a deluge of players that have no idea about agro management