10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    And for how much it's been downscaled on Switch looks absolutely atrocious in some parts. The Digital Foundry video Tech linked clearly shows it.

Which begs the question. How is Doom going to look?
    I mean its the Switch. It prob won't look great (compared to how it looks on other platforms). The best part of Doom was how fast and smooth the new one is. If the Switch can;t deliver that, well its an issue going forward.

And for how much it's been downscaled on Switch looks absolutely atrocious in some parts. The Digital Foundry video Tech linked clearly shows it.

Which begs the question. How is Doom going to look? And how much downscaling will be done to FF15 if they want it on the Switch?

Also, DOOM was built from the ground up for Switch rather than ported. Whereas from what I understand, Sonic Forces was a relatively quick port.

Quote Originally Posted by johnhoftb View Post

Also, DOOM was built from the ground up for Switch rather than ported. Whereas from what I understand, Sonic Forces was a relatively quick port.
    Really? You are linking that kind of video where it's off screen?

Yeah no. The video I watched showed a slight downscale in graphical quality. Minor in textures.

But of course I know your bias here and it's not shocking of you to link a video where it would be harder to judge the quality with no comparison. Keep it up though I guess....

Now that is a comparison video. You can see the lower textures on things such as the walls, armor and demon for example. Among other things. I don't care about the PS4 version but to make a comparison you need a different version of the game. So I just used this one as an example.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-11-08 at 03:00 AM.

I dont know why they don't just give us a chao garden game. That's literally the only reason people who aren't furries care about sonic
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Yeah no. The video I watched showed a slight downscale in graphical quality. Minor in textures.

But of course I know your bias here and it's not shocking of you to link a video where it would be harder to judge the quality with no comparison. Keep it up though I guess....

Now that is a comparison video. You can see the lower textures on things such as the walls, armor and demon for example. Among other things. I don't care about the PS4 version but to make a comparison you need a different version of the game. So I just used this one as an example.
    I WAS trying to find a newer video as that footage was from the Direct it was announced in and I figured Bethesda would've polished things up a bit more.

I can't find any docked footage, all of it is in portable mode since Nintendo wants to push this as a portable DOOM.

- - - Updated - - -

Just a reminder, Miiverse is shutting down in less than an hour.

[video=youtube;yL50BKFQYRE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL50BKFQYRE[video]

...you asked a question, and he linked a video, why so hostile about that? If you already knew, why ask

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    -snip-
    You asked "How is doom going to look?", not "How will it compare to other systems?" although I guess since 2 out of 3 mentioned things had to do with comparison and downscale the last one would have also been meant as a combination of them.

Not everyone immediately jumps to conclusions that a video has to be a comparison video, since not everyone cares how a game looks on different systems. They've got their preferred system, possibly only system, and they get the game for that while watching videos for that system. Assuming they even care about any videos at all.

On the sonic comparison, didn't even realize something was "worse looking" until they took the time to point it out, and even then I had to skip back a bit to actually see it. The switch footage looked just fine to me. But then again I'm not one of those that need ultra realistic and sharp etc textures and highest resolutions with the 60fps min when deciding what system to get something on, granted, I only got the one console (switch) alongside my pc, making me care even less about comparison videos.
    Last edited by mageling; 2017-11-08 at 05:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mageling View Post
    On the sonic comparison, didn't even realize something was "worse looking" until they took the time to point it out, and even then I had to skip back a bit to actually see it. The switch footage looked just fine to me. But then again I'm not one of those that need ultra realistic and sharp etc textures and highest resolutions with the 60fps min when deciding what system to get something on, granted, I only got the one console (switch) alongside my pc, making me care even less about comparison videos.
    No offense, I don't even care about the silly Doom argument but did you really just say you saw no difference in the DF Sonic comparison?

Where you watching youtube in a small corner of your screen or on some shitty phone screen? It's painfully obvious, the lightning is a massive downgrade, there is far less foilage, there is almost no draw distance at all it has n64 looking fog masking it and it runs at half the frame rate.

It's not even close. The Switch version of Forces not only looks worse then Generations did on 360/PS3/PC it looks worse then Lost World did on Wii U.

It's a really shitty port that I highly doubt the Switch hardware is even at fault for as even on PS4 the game is nothing special graphically and with a 30 FPS cap which is half of the PS4 version and 720p downgrade it shouldn't be having massive downgrades in LOD but it does. You have to be drinking some real kool aid to not notice that.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2017-11-08 at 06:00 AM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    No offense, I don't even care about the silly Doom argument but did you really just say you saw no difference in the DF Sonic comparison?

Where you watching youtube in a small corner of your screen or on some shitty phone screen? It's painfully obvious, the lightning is a massive downgrade, there is far less foilage, there is almost no draw distance at all it has n64 looking fog masking it and it runs at half the frame rate.

It's not even close. The Switch version of Forces not only looks worse then Generations did on 360/PS3/PC it looks worse then Lost World did on Wii U.

It's a really shitty port that I highly doubt the Switch hardware is even at fault for as even on PS4 the game is nothing special graphically and with a 30 FPS cap which is half of the PS4 version and 720p downgrade it shouldn't be having massive downgrades in LOD but it does. You have to be drinking some real kool aid to not notice that.
    computer threatrical box 1080p. I prefer less foliage to more in WoW where I have a slider for it, guess that's why I didn't even note that there's less grass in that one picture that they didn't take their time to point it out, also preferred the less cluttered metallic flooring of that one stoppicture. Draw distance now that I went back yeah, you cant see the stairs there faaaar away in that one scene and it's a bit foggier, nothing that actually matters to me.

But I mean, if you just look at side by side video of actual gameplay instead of stop screens and people telling that hey it's a lot shittier because that and that and that is missing or reduced in some way, I'm not seeing it. It looks just fine on any system. To me. Objectively yes after looking over it again it's worse. but doesn't really matter if you buy it on the switch for the portability factor you'll be using a small ass screen to play it on and the extra goodies wouldn't really do all that much good anyways. Unless you've got some pretty good set of eyes.

If you care about the better graphics and you'll only play at home, sure get it for some other system if you have the choice. But getting it on the switch in no way makes it unplayable just because it looks a bit worse than what it does for the competing systems. No one claimed it does either, I'm just saying it to make a point that it'll play just fine still. Note the use of FINE instead of GREAT or other words that could be used to describe things.

Isn't sonic supposed to be about fast paced gameplay instead of taking your time to watch the scenery anyways? tho I guess 60fps gives more responsive controls assuming input frequency and the action needs it and gets something out of it. Since they capped it at 30fps on the switch clearly the people making the port didn't seem to think it's required.
    Last edited by mageling; 2017-11-08 at 06:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnhoftb View Post
    No it wasn't. If it was then it wouldn't be releasing a YEAR later then the original release and would take much longer to come out. The game engine that Doom is on scales extremely well.

Example

This is a port not a rebuild, Its even scaled lower then the most low settings a PC can do. It being in docked mode will not really change much ether.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    No it wasn't. If it was then it wouldn't be releasing a YEAR later then the original release and would take much longer to come out. The game engine that Doom is on scales extremely well.

Example
    This is a port not a rebuild, Its even scaled lower then the most low settings a PC can do. It being in docked mode will not really change much ether.
    To be fair, still probably more work than Sonic put in :P

I see no reason that Sonic Forces couldn't run at 60fps.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post

Agreed.

(Just beat forces on PS4, Personally even with its flaws I highly enjoyed it). The game says on the box it has Pro support but it doesn't, Its development all around was lazy as hell. Even the XBOX enchanted version is lazy.

Still highly enjoyed it tho and didn't pay full price
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Agreed.

(Just beat forces on PS4, Personally even with its flaws I highly enjoyed it). The game says on the box it has Pro support but it doesn't, Its development all around was lazy as hell. Even the XBOX enchanted version is lazy.

Still highly enjoyed it tho and didn't pay full price
    Yeah I watched the video Tech linked about it.

I might wait til it drops to like $20 for the PS4 and then I'll give it a go.

Still need to try Mario+Rabbids at some point I suppose since you suggested it (Yes, I did see that post, I never got around to responding though :x )

Yeah I watched the video Tech linked about it.

I might wait til it drops to like $20 for the PS4 and then I'll give it a go.

Still need to try Mario+Rabbids at some point I suppose since you suggested it (Yes, I did see that post, I never got around to responding though :x )
    Its all good and I do recommend Mario Xcom. I got Sonic for $26 total due to discount coupons I had and it was worth it IMO. Took me about 6 hours to beat the main story and if I had to guess it would take 15-20hrs to 100% (side quests and all) it.

Funny enough without spoiling the game it is setup perfectly to sell cosmetic MT's but it doesn't, I was highly surprised. It does have flaws and even made me rage a couple times. But I highly enjoyed it

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Mario+Rabbids was fun, the turn limits were all over the place though with having many stages taking 3/7 or so of the required turns to perfect it. then some stages there was no way to beat the set limit of 4 in 3 turns since spawns are on a specific turns and you need to kill x amount of mobs. '

Many characters to choose from, I just went with mario+ rabbid peach+ rabbid luigi for most of the game, only changing (and for one challenge level) when the story made you automatically change and was too lazy to regroup. Ended up with everyone having their best weapons in the end when they opened up and 30k coins leftover since I didn't try different characters so no gold sinkhole there, nor did I buy the new weapons right away when they opened in most cases. Or If I did then I just passed on the halfwaypoint upgrades because the gain would have been minimal. DASH & MARIO STOMPJUMP FTW ! on some levels did more damage just by dashing and jumping around pretty much. game got way too easyish after I realized that just dashing around and being super agressive was the way to go for most of the levels.

Lost a lot of health all the time but with rabbid peachs heals and rabbidluigis vamp dash/strikes being a debuff applied to the mobs hit after being upgraded giving 100% of damage dealt in absorbed health... the later half of the game was even easier than the start.

Also on the first world endboss you'll see how selfies are done right! that was a pretty cool scene.
    Last edited by mageling; 2017-11-08 at 07:16 AM.

Pandaren Monk
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aux View Post
    I'm thinking about picking up a Switch in the coming weeks and I was wondering if anyone has a good recommendation for a screen protector. Also is it worth picking up a micro SD card right away or is that something I can get away with for a bit, any recommendations for those? I'm assuming bigger = better.
    I have been using

So far, no issues.

This.

I just see how much of a hit it took and think "that really couldn't run at 60"?

- - - Updated - - -

...you asked a question, and he linked a video, why so hostile about that? If you already knew, why ask
    Because when people link an off screen video to try and prove a point when those things are awful to watch it's a clear bias thing. And to claim that the poster doesn't have any towards Nintendo is a bit laughable at best. But alas let's leave that as is before we start actually going down that road.

Not hostility but if you are going to link a video at least link one that's somewhat viewable. I'm just not a fan of off camera videos. The sound does my head in as well.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-11-08 at 12:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    That is going to make so many people rage lol.

Personally I enjoyed it more then BOTW as well and even rated it higher(7 out of 10 and BOTW for me was 6 out of 10), But different strokes for different fokes.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    That is going to make so many people rage lol.

Personally I enjoyed it more then BOTW as well and even rated it higher(7 out of 10 and BOTW for me was 6 out of 10), But different strokes for different fokes.
    Why would him saying that he's not saying that it's better than Zelda make people rage? Many times he says that he's not saying Sonic > Zelda, Just that he personally had a couple levels that irritated playing sonic and more constant irritation climbing mountains in the rain and I guess other things that he didn't go into when playing Zelda. He's not comparing how good either game is against each other and there would be no point in that either since they're of different genres.

Or are we supposed to "read between the lines" and hear that he is saying zelda is not better? If he thinks Zelda is or isn't better doesn't really matter.

He made Sonic look pretty ok though, might actually get it next week, how many hours can I expect to get out of it? by doing pretty much everything there is to do if there is a list saying what I've still got left.
    Last edited by mageling; 2017-11-08 at 06:32 PM.