Page 49 of 115 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    There's a lot of white people on the cast. I imagine he feels its pretty safe to watch.
    You know you're talking about Rush Limbaugh, right? The guy whose wedding included a black pastor and Elton John as the singer.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    What's the difference other than the drinks, music and thus dance moves? At one you rave all night drinking cheap stuff - at the other you just sit in your lounge sipping expensive wine. It's just a matter of taste.
    social perception and acceptance at least in this century. Most military branches/installations have formal balls some with muisc ... never seen one have sanctioned a club/rave on post.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    Oh my good Lord! Dancing in a starship! Next step, they'll have an orgy!

Quick! Better call Section Spanish Inquisition!

No one expects them.
    again, just seems out of place oh a military vessel in my opinion.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    social perception and acceptance at least in this century. Most military branches/installations have formal balls some with muisc ... never seen one have sanctioned a club/rave on post.
    Starfleet is not a military organization and Discovery is not a military ship.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Starfleet is not a military organization and Discovery is not a military ship.
    riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight cause they totally are not fighting a war, and being a military ship. Star Fleet has always claimed to be explorers first but when needed fought wars.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Fair enough, I can see why Discovery is trying to appeal to the younger/millennial audience.
    The only people of those ages that i know who like star trek love DS9/TNG and think Discovery is meh.

a few that have not seen previous trek, watched Discovery, didn't particularly like it or want to keep watching

It's Gen. Z that grew up with star trek 2009 instead of the airings and re-runs for TNG/DS9/VOY.
    Last edited by Svisalith; 2017-11-01 at 08:44 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWGoneBad View Post
    And look at how things turned out for the crew of the Air Craft carrier from Under Siege when they tried to have a party.
    That party had it's good points though

There's a lot of white people on the cast. I imagine he feels its pretty safe to watch.
    good lord who cares if the cast is colour diverse?! this is star trek after all so this isnt the problem. i just want good stories, likeable characters and sticking to cannon. and i get it that most star trek shows started off bad but all had something that caught my attention very fast, be it patrick stewarts excelent performance, janeways strenght and being stranded so far away from home, the Q entity, the great chemistry between bones, kirk and spock, or the diverse cast of aliens in DS9 and sisko being a badass. discovery on the other hand, for me anyway, is pretty hard to watch and most times a yawn fest. maybe it will get better, one can only hope but for now i wont be watching anymore.
    There is a void in my heart. Have you come to fill it?

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight cause they totally are not fighting a war, and being a military ship. Star Fleet has always claimed to be explorers first but when needed fought wars.
    Doesn't matter if they are at war or not. Doesn't make it a military organization. And Discovery is a Science vessel, it's even called Discovery, not Desintegratory. it's just the most advanced vessel in the Starfleet so no wonder it is involved in the war effort, though quite cautiously.

You have lost this argument I suggest you to take some time to recuperate.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

again, just seems out of place oh a military vessel in my opinion.
    Bah! The Enterprise-D had children on it. That's far worse than having a ball from time to time. Besides, parties have been held on Enterprise-D and Voyager. It's just that they somehow prefered old jazz standards over the Bee Gees (or whoever covered Staying Alive).
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm liking Discovery more and more.
    Klingons look menacing! Finally. In The Next Generation, they look ridiculously stupid.
    All other aliens look good too. And also, the uniforms are so much better. More modern.
    I don't understand why they choose that setting so early but made the ship much more advanced. It would've been better if they set it in alternate universe like the movies or just far ahead in the future.
    The best part about it is it's really dark. Except the part where this bearded dude blows up the ship hundreds of times and rewinds the time and at the end just walks away. WTF.
    Last edited by Strawberry; 2017-11-07 at 12:45 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    I'm liking Discovery more and more.
    Klingons look menacing! Finally. In The Next Generation, they look ridiculously stupid.
    All other aliens look good too. And also, the uniforms are so much better. More modern.
    I don't understand why they choose that setting so early but made the ship much more advanced. It would've been better if they set it in alternate universe like the movies or just far ahead in the future.
    The best part about it is it's really dark. Except the part where this bearded dude blows up the ship hundreds of times and rewinds the time and at the end just walks away. WTF.
    Simple answer is male it mirrorverse then just about EVERYTHING works.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Simple answer is male it mirrorverse then just about EVERYTHING works.
    Except that its not even remotely like the Mirror universe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Except that its not even remotely like the Mirror universe.
    Darker edgier torture is perfectly cool annnnd even the darker tone and advanced tech make sense

Darker edgier torture is perfectly cool annnnd even the darker tone and advanced tech make sense
    Discovery having a darker tone has nothing to do with the Mirror universe. The advanced technology is not "advanced", its presented in a more polished manner.

The Mirror universe is a universe populated by explicitly fascist versions of regular Star Trek governments. Mirror versions of cast characters are frequently much more immoral than their counterparts (except poor Brunt and Quark).

Burnham committing treason would've either gotten her captaincy of the Shenzhou or a quick death by someone else. The fact that she got a life sentence in prison is all the proof you need that this isn't the Mirror universe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Again, if it were the Mirror Universe, there would be no Federation, but the Terran Empire.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Pandaren Monk
    7+ Year Old Account
    personally cant stand this show, its complete crap. I would be surprised if the writers of this show watched more than 5 minutes of star trek outside the new JJ films.

Deleted
    The show is absolutely not Star Trek, and SM-G bombastic exposition is so over the top and asinine that it almost drives me personally crazy, but other than that, I suppose it's still watchable. Not being actual Star Trek, I can live with all the not-Star-Trek stuff, like the ridiculous mushroom-spinny-drive and the hairless-dorky-looking-faux-Klingons. There have been worse space shows (Farscape, Stargåte SG-1).

Wonder who/what will die first, the last living member of the original series, or hope for a new actual Star Trek series that takes place in the proper continuum after TNG.

Quote Originally Posted by ezgeze View Post
    personally cant stand this show, its complete crap. I would be surprised if the writers of this show watched more than 5 minutes of star trek outside the new JJ films.
    You mean... the acting needs to be worse? It's already not that great.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    Again, if it were the Mirror Universe, there would be no Federation, but the Terran Empire.
    Just needs a rename but true. Still fits better

- - - Updated - - -

Discovery having a darker tone has nothing to do with the Mirror universe. The advanced technology is not "advanced", its presented in a more polished manner.

The Mirror universe is a universe populated by explicitly fascist versions of regular Star Trek governments. Mirror versions of cast characters are frequently much more immoral than their counterparts (except poor Brunt and Quark).

Burnham committing treason would've either gotten her captaincy of the Shenzhou or a quick death by someone else. The fact that she got a life sentence in prison is all the proof you need that this isn't the Mirror universe.
    ..did i ONCE say it was in the mirrorverse? No i said it FITS the mirrorverse better.

And this is insanely far from star trek to myself and many other.

To those who want darker more modern sci fi go for it. But understand doing that with star trek as a prime timeline. Star trek has ALWAYS been about humanisn and humanity moving beyond our worse traits..welll anything prime timeline.

Oh and i have seen every prior series i know it could get darker but was not the focus.

I also have heard of the section 31 fan theory.

I have heard alpt. And i still say this is the FFXIII of star trek not a bad sci fi but a horrible star trek.

Oh and spore drive all that needs to be said about tech.

Pandaren Monk
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    You mean... the acting needs to be worse? It's already not that great.
    No, I am saying that the whole 5 minutes of star trek research the developers did for this new show probably was from JJ star trek reboots. True fans of star trek use TNG, DS9 and to some extent voyager.