Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollhammer View Post
    Bait thread is baity. Calling "Weapon skills a missed feature"
    It's what coming back with vanilla.

And I missed it, because it gives to the rpg experience of the game, and I played WoW because it's an rpg

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shad View Post
    Weapon Skills isnt a RPG mechanics, is just "AA that dummy for 5 minutes and get 300weap skill"

Ranked abilities aka mana efficency, nothing RPG flavoured.

Was all about those immune mobs in blasted lands.. Hit those, Go AFK "LOOK AT MY RPG MECHANICS!

Deleted
    No, it isnt missed and doesnt give RPG experience.

Stop venting no sense.

Really, i can't believe those people have 30y and played vanilla like me.
    Last edited by mmocbfa8dc246d; 2017-11-08 at 10:13 AM.

Deleted
    No, it isnt missed and doesnt give RPG experience.
    Yes it does, an RPG game first and foremost depends on game mechanics to give the outcome of the specific action (in this case combat) and on player skills second.
    Having weapon skills and missing because you have low skill ability is that mechanic, as your character gets better you miss less because your character improves over time in the specific use of the weapon.
    Removing weapon skills is removing part of the RPG experience of vanilla WoW.

That's why I'm partly hyped about vanilla WoW, because RPG mechanics are coming back.

The delusions of grandeur are strong with the vanilla crowd. I'd be surprised if there'd be 100k people a month after launch.

Deleted
    Classic population will explode initially, then dwindle to 50k-ish regular players after some months.

Deleted
    Such rpg mechanic... so skill...

If I can swing a sword and kill people with it and then suddenly I pick up an axe and can't hit sleeping elephant in front of me is such a good thing...

If anything else, weapon skills doesn't make any sense at all

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bugsix View Post
    Yes it does, an RPG game first and foremost depends on game mechanics to give the outcome of the specific action (in this case combat) and on player skills second.
    Having weapon skills and missing because you have low skill ability is that mechanic, as your character gets better you miss less because your character improves over time in the specific use of the weapon.
    Removing weapon skills is removing part of the RPG experience of vanilla WoW.

That's why I'm partly hyped about vanilla WoW, because RPG mechanics are coming back.
    First of all, this is wrong.

RPG GAME first depends on the actual setting and immersion of the RPG element, and this is was the stronger point in vanilla, not to miss or not a kobold, stop this bs.

An "aspect" that was done in less than 4 minutes, "oh look new weapon? stronger? need to get 1-mylevel*5 skill to use it properly? ok 4 minutes hitting those mobs"

the core of wow.

Deleted

RPG GAME first depends on the actual setting and immersion of the RPG element, and this is was the stronger point in vanilla.
    That too, thanks to adding to my argument

Good that we both agree on the same things!

Deleted
    And then you'll wake up from your wet dream and see how classic won't even come close to the numbers of BfA.

Deleted
    all of this is so not gonna happen ever.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Brazorf View Post
    all of this is so not gonna happen ever.
    The same was being said about Blizz never making classic server

Vanilla WoW has this hurdle at level 25 or so. You start to run out of quests, the leveling curve kicks in and you're lucky to make a level every three days of play. From 50 to 60 takes like a month.

I can see a lot of people joining the vanilla servers and then giving up when they get bored and going back to regular WoW.

Vanilla WoW is a pain in the ass in a lot of ways.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    MMOs are not cRPGs. An RPG has dialogue, choices and consequences, character skills affecting these c&c and a number other things MMOs don't have. WoW was never an RPG game like, say, old Fallouts or Arcanum or whatever.

You can fetishize weapon skills, spell ranks, spell reagents and other stuff like that all you want, these don't matter. Core gameplay of WoW was always the same: do quests, kill monsters, pick up items.

RP realms ofc are a different matter, but these are orthogonal towards game mechanics, you could have a system with one big red button 'KILL MOBS' and one small button 'GENERATE LOOT' and the RP-ers would still do their thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Zendhal View Post
    1. Classic will boom out with population

2. 50% people will leave before hitting max lvl

3. Only core playerbase will stay for more than 1month

4. Probably 5 - 15% population will stay since launch
    This is my expectation too. Though my bet is on 5% . Still though, if 2 million people try out classic (it wouldn't surprise me) and 5% stay that's 100k people. More than a lot of mmos have and well worth maintaining a server that'll take very limited work to maintain. Classic will also be a fairly good advertising tool to get people to try out retail if they haven't played in a while, especially if it's all the same sub.

But ya, it's certainly not going to be near as popular as live WoW is, and even if it comes out the door with like 5 mil, I wouldn't expect more than 5% to stay.

There is only two safe predictions :

1) It will be a pretty big hit at start due to novelty and the hype.

2) It will shrink pretty quickly.

We can also be rather certain that there will be a high enough number of people sticking to them to make them profitable (if only because they really aren't that big an investment, considering 90 % of the work is already done).

The things we don't know :

- How big the stable numbers will be.
    - If it will be big enough to really influence the "current" WoW philosophy.

The fanboys are claiming it will take over live, which is pretty much a pipe-dream and ignore the attrition that WoW has always had.
    The haters are saying the same shit as usual, with "everyone will live once they realize it's shit", seemingly unable to grasp that other people actually LIKE Vanilla design for itself and not just out of nostalgia, and that people have been actually PLAYING it on private servers for years.

Deleted
    The same was being said about Blizz never making classic server
    Not the same thing, this is not about a single company changing idea, this is about hoping for an immense shift in the overall silent community outside forums. Is like saying (on an exaggerate level) "Tomorrow the entire world will suddenly stop being racist", this is just a gross overestimation of today's gaming community.

Now, I'm not saying it does not have the chance to be popular, I actually hope it will be. But that it will be SO HUGE that blizzard will trash everything to go back to classic and start again? nah
    Last edited by mmoc89084f456c; 2017-11-08 at 10:36 AM.

Deleted
    Also "making classic server"

do you have the proof it will be 1:1 with no qol?

I'm constantly amazed at how many people get blinded by their own opinions.
    "Leave your personal feedback, don't try to convince them that "everyone" hates something." - Ion Hazzikostas
    It's actually Wowhead, if I quoted directly from Ion the signature would drag out too long.

Deleted
    1)

Classic servers will have higher pop than live servers because of all the returning non currently playing players and those that will go from live to classic.

2)

Blizzard seeing that, that they are making more money from classic than live, will start to slowly shifting their team and resources into classic.

3)

Main game having lower and lower players is slowly dying out

4)

Blizzard going full production on classic, like in their announcement trailer all the expansions are 'rewinded' and do not exist, basicaly classic becomes an 'alternate timeline' and now they are starting to make new content for it basing on vanilla mechanics.

5)

Classic becomes the 'new' main wow with new expansions and QoL from over the years but with vanilla mechanics in-tact.
    What a load of shit Even as someone that wants to play the Vanilla servers for a bit, they will flop eventuelly and people will go back to retail.
    It's simple, Vanilla requires too much effort compared to current WoW, so your average Joe will prefer retail because he will be more "successful" there.