Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wryan View Post
    Or collection of states to join the USA.

What do you all think? Would this be in the interests of both countries?

Just a couple of things off the top of my head. Australia depends heavily on the ANZUS security treaty. The geography of Australia is useful to the USA for Pacific presence.

If Australia joined the union, would any Americans want to move and work there? Would any Australians want to move and work in the USA?
    I've yet to meet an Australian that would think this a good idea.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Deleted
    Would the US be OK with the head of its 51st state being the queen? Cos she's still the monarch of Australia.

I've yet to meet an Australian that would think this a good idea.
    Its a terrible idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Aehl View Post
    Its a terrible idea.
    I know. The Australians I met described their country as... "the best of both worlds" in that they had access to US entertainment, while retaining cultural and social heritage from their European (British) side and making the end product entirely their own Australian way of living. Having been there, I can't disagree that it's a pretty awesome country to be in. Why would any Australian want to change being awesome? Joining the US would be such a steep step down, you'd have to hand them a rope ladder so they don't break their necks in the fall. :P
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Slant: we already have enough amateur loonies, greenies and other SJW morons....we have no need and no wish to import life's work professionals.

Quote Originally Posted by tripconn View Post
    Would the US be OK with the head of its 51st state being the queen? Cos she's still the monarch of Australia.
    Someone needs to bitch slap Trump, might as well be Queen Elizabeth.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Deleted
    You'd have to ask the Queen for permission. She's the head of state after all

Australia is a great country, with a strong economy, and some of the happiest people on the planet. They have zero incentive to join the United States. It's ridiculous to even pose this question.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    You'd have to ask the Queen for permission. She's the head of state after all
    Kinda like we asked the King for permission.....

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    No. Dems would get triggered if the Aussies called them 'cunts' for being stupid, which is usually the way I have heard it projected.
    More likely republicans would rage over the gun controls laws in Australia and claim that the already successfully implemented system is an idea that could never ever work!

Quote Originally Posted by Aussiedude View Post
    I am glad your Hubby enjoyed his post to Darwin

Darwin is an Awesome city and we can certainly throw back the beers.
    Its the heat that makes you drink..The Humidity is always high.
    I can knock back a slab of VB Beer within 4 hours.

As for becoming a 51st state of the USA.

I do like President Trump. He is better than the current lost crowd we have in Australia

The current mob of Australian politicians have been arguing for 2 months whether they are Aussie or foreigners
    They have forgotten about running the country.
    There are a few things I loved about Darwin. I loved that you have a classy bar named "Duck's Nuts. I loved that their t-shirts actually had a duck with testicles. I love that the strip club there was more like a bar/restaurant with pool tables that happened to have naked women dancing there. I love that all the people were damn friendly, and definitely knew how to party.

Australia can do better than Trump. The United States was dumb enough to elect that jackass, don't be like us. Be better than us, at least in that regard.

On a side note, I also want to thank you for having much better beer than America. I'm not much of a beer drinker, and I prefer my liquor of a stronger caliber, but a guy needs to pace himself in a place like that VB and even Hahn's Premium made that easier. Then again, maybe it was because I had been in the jungles of the Philippines and East Timor for a spell.
    Last edited by Machismo; 2017-11-08 at 11:48 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    Kinda like we asked the King for permission.....
    We'll. No. Because The Queen has power to overturn any Parliamentary choice and has done that in Australia

She is the guardian of Australian sovereignty.

This is already happening culturally irregardless of if it ever actually happens. We now have an entire generation of idiots who live and breath the USA lifestyle, we get "Australians" commenting on/holding events for American politics like those idiots at Sydney university. We get morons from the USA as guest speakers for Australian topics and politics. Media brainwashing at its finest, although who could blame them. With the migration rate what it is I doubt that even 50% of the population is 2nd generation Australian, most people living in the bigger cities probably wouldn't even be able to give a definitive meaning for what being Australian used to mean.

If you have any doubts about this all you have to do is look at the current dual citizenship event the Parliament here is dealing with. The country is ran by the best and brightest, with a growing number of them not even knowing if they are eligible to even be there. Will they ever be punished for it or forced to pay the money back?! Hah, what a joke.
    Last edited by TheDestinatus; 2017-11-08 at 11:53 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Doesn't Australia belong to Commonwealth of Nation which in turn is lead by the queen of England?
    In fact, Canada is also part of the Commonwealth. It would be like asking if Canada would join US.

We'll. No. Because The Queen has power to overturn any Parliamentary choice and has done that in Australia

She is the guardian of Australian sovereignty.
    I think you missed the point. "Kinda like we asked the King for permission....." means we didn't, and we shot at his troops until he said "fuck it, the war with France is more important."

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Hypotheticals are always a good idea. Keeps the mind limber.
    When they have a point and purpose designed to educate. This thread is merely here to trigger and troll people into a for or against USA battle. Or for or against Trump. It is not about Aussies really becoming Americans. This forum while claiming to be above it is basically defined by nation bashing (as long as it goes in one direction).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I think you missed the point. "Kinda like we asked the King for permission....." means we didn't, and we shot at his troops until he said "fuck it, the war with France is more important."
    So it turns the coalition of two states into a war of invasion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    Doesn't Australia belong to Commonwealth of Nation which in turn is lead by the queen of England?
    In fact, Canada is also part of the Commonwealth. It would be like asking if Canada would join US.
    Yes. But they're not owned or tied to the UK. They are sovereign nations with the same monarch

So it turns the coalition of two states into a war of invasion.
    Yes, I guess. The point was that the US was also ruled by a monarch, until we started shooting at his troops enough that he abandoned the attempt to rule us.

blah blah blah, US history, probably one page in a UK textbook.

Other footnotes may have included things like the Louisiana Purchase, in which we funded Napoleon's war effort and gained the middle part of the US. And so on.