Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bugsix View Post
    - No flying mounts (hello world pvp)
    - Paladin only on Alliance and Shaman on Horde (muh immersion)
    - No battlegrounds (hello world pvp)
    - slow leveling (i like to take my time)
    - weapon skills (muh rpg)
    - unbalanced classes (fun! plenty of WTF how that happened? moments)
    - objectives not shown on map (muh rpg immersion)
    - talent trees! (yay normal talents !)
    - skills (yay skill every level!)
    - I dont have any particular opinion on that. Would surely be a pain to not fly, but with so little world Content there shouldn´t be much of a Problem. Most of the Time you either Run Circles in a High end Zone for Professions, or run an Instance.

- As Others Mentioned, BGs where a thing in Vanilla.

- Kind of split on that one. For one, I like questing. On the Other hand, I have a rather good memory in that regard, will probably remember most of the stuff, and then its Boring.

- Weapon Skills, I dunno if I would be Hyped about them. Was a Pain to level them all up.

- i seriously doubt you would get much or even any "WTF happend?" moments. Because for
    A: People already should know how classes/specs work in Vanilla.
    B: Unlike Vanilla there is already large Community providing indepth analysis for stuff. Most people immediatly run the single best Spec.

- See the above, while I would be more invested in reading Quests, I probably would still know much.

- Talent Tress, the Illusion of Choice. See Above, I think there would still only be one Specc Viable, with little room to Customize.

- Skill levels are just a GoldSink, dunno what they add for you, except a forced way to run back to the Capital to learn skills every two levels.

What i liked the most is that the classes were actually allowed to have something special that made them unique. (TBC might be even better in that area, though)
    The whole "bring the player, not the class" thing destroyed alot of that.

i don't expect to play it for a long time, but i think it will be fun to go back for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Slashnox View Post
    - We will never want flying.
    - Immersion is a big part of MMORPG's I don't know how you do not comprehend what immersion
    - Having to level up your weapon skills because it's not handed out to EVERYONE for free but takes time is part of the fun of the grind to become better than others
    - Perfect balance is never fun contrary to popular belief
    - Some might, you never know.
    - Having Paladins for alliance and Shaman for horde adds what immersion? If anything it forces people to play a faction they don't want play, just to pick a class.
    - Sorry, auto attacking a dummy to level up weapon skills was NOT fun. It ends up you afk'ing while watching YouTube, so you're not really playing the game. I've been there and I loved the earlier game.
    - Perfect balance of course isn't possible. Vanilla was the epitome of imbalance. There was none.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by faithbane View Post
    To be fair, I started the game when it first launched but by the time I got the hang of the game, got past the bugs, random crashes, decided on a main, committed to it and hit 60, BGs were already there

- - - Updated - - -

Cant wait for the flood of tears from people that never played classic or played but forgot all the hassle.. when they can't afford a mount for weeks and have to walk or not be able to spare a few golds for new a skill although they are at the level to get it or even the constant cost of repairs
    Yeah but that just. To answer the question, WHAT do people want, If people want the "true" vanila experinse, that is 7 months of no BG's. That is a damn long time

Quote Originally Posted by effs View Post
    - Sorry, auto attacking a dummy to level up weapon skills was NOT fun. It ends up you afk'ing while watching YouTube, so you're not really playing the game. I've been there and I loved the earlier game.
    Are your sure? I was under the impression Dummies were added long after Vanilla. I didnt need to level weapons as I played a Caster, but I recall a Warrior friend always went somewhere not too high to autoattack mobs.

Flying should've never been added to WoW so I can't see how that's bad.

Weapon Skill was literally a stat in Vanilla, that Rogues/Warriors sought. Also raising your skill from 1 to 300 isn't going to take you THAT long.. plus you normally won't be at 1/300 when you're done levelling.

Cookie cutter builds
    I'm a hunter currently raiding MC/ZG/Ony/BWL with a pretty good guild and I can tell you I have like 3 specs to choose from and they're all very solid. And it's not 2 talents moved around, it's really different builds.

Quote Originally Posted by LanToaster View Post
    Are your sure? I was under the impression Dummies were added long after Vanilla. I didnt need to level weapons as I played a Caster, but I recall a Warrior friend always went somewhere not too high to autoattack mobs.
    Hey, whatever floats your boat :P

Deleted
    After a long run of alliance characters me and my mate are going horde

I don't remember using dummies at all in classic either.. I was going into RFC to level up my weapon skills

It's going to be weird not having achievements.

10+ Year Old Account
    Strangelthorn Vale

I was rather fond of the old talent trees myself (hybrid hype) and getting a skill/rank every level was cool. Having to go to trainers to get skills was cool too. None of this auto learn stuff lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Discopew View Post
    Strangelthorn Vale
    As a person who leveled on Mannoroth in Vanilla as a lowly prot warrior, Fuck STV. Lol. Also, MANNOROTH IS DOWN
    Prot Warrior 2004-2008. Hunter 2008-2018.
    Retired boomer.

Not sure if this is sarcasm or not

Deleted
    I don't remember using dummies at all in classic either.. I was going into RFC to level up my weapon skills
    There were no dummies. You went to blasted lands. There was a quest mob, which could not be killed unless you used the quest item. You brought him to 1 HP at which point he stopped attacking, equipped you low skill weapon and went afk. As warrior you buffed up with an int scroll, because it took some time from the grind.

I remember playing vanilla when it first came out 13 years ago (wow that long?!). Granted it was a very different game compared to what it is now. Grinding to level 60 was very tedious, and also getting enough gold to afford your first epic mount was a major accomplishment. Getting your first epic piece of gear was something that you could be proud of/brag about. I first played at a Warrior Prot Tank, so I leveled pretty much my toon all the way to 60 on that spec. OMG I will NEVER do that again! There is a lot of grinding in vanilla, and hope that people who never played it knows what they are really getting into :-)
    Last edited by Sodka; 2017-11-08 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vluffyvlaush View Post
    There were no dummies. You went to blasted lands. There was a quest mob, which could not be killed unless you used the quest item. You brought him to 1 HP at which point he stopped attacking, equipped you low skill weapon and went afk. As warrior you buffed up with an int scroll, because it took some time from the grind.
    WoW that must a trick that alliance used mostly. I mostly remember running RFC over and over and basically most of the horde I knew did the same

Deleted
    WoW that must a trick that alliance used mostly. I mostly remember running RFC over and over and basically most of the horde I knew did the same
    You could reach Stonard pretty fast as Horde. I did this as horde player too. Because some skills just took ages. As warrior you skilled your ranged skills in MC and your melee skills in the blasted lands.

I hope the community of a realm is coming back like it was in 'real' vanilla.

There were indeed no dummy, else the whole skill system would have been pointless.
    You had to fight against any non-grey mob to develop your skill. Maybe he meant dummy in a metaphorical sense, as you usually tried to find stupid mobs with low stats. Where those mobs were could be found online of course, so the system was not perfect.

It makes me realize races did not have the same starting skills.
    For hunters, Elves, Trolls and Orcs had bows, Dwarves and Tauren had guns. For warriors, Taurens had hammers, Orcs and dwarves had axes, the rest had sword and shield. And so it was not just starting weapons like today, it's actually the skill to equip them. As a dwarf you had to travel to Darnassus if you wanted to learn the bow skill from the night elf Master of Arms. My memory is a bit bad but it was a really nice RPG touch.

This thread made me wonder...which patch of vanilla are we getting?