Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterstrife View Post
    Also, no battle res, so if you fucked up, have fun afking the entire boss fight.
    Eh? No, you just had to have someone w/ res who wasn't in combat so he could run around and res people w/o issues.

Back in the day bosses didn't force everyone in zone in combat, so you could stay out of combat as long as you didn't touch anything but dead players. You basically went full afk till you had to res someone, and after that you just had to run away to hide somewhere and afk again.

No... but Tanking Shamans were a thing though, somewhat... right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    Dwarven priests and paladins > all. Fear ward and salv were imba
    PCT, bro. Poison Cleanse Totem... That shit was MONEY in AQ40. Also, Frost Shock made a certain slime boss in AQ far more trivial. Salvation was really badass though and fearward for Onyxia was life.
    Stains on the carpet and stains on the memory
    Songs about happiness murmured in dreams
    When we both of us knew how the end always is...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    I tanked part of SM as a shaman in vanilla. Wasnt very good, but we got the job done.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    yes and now. Horde had windfury totem which was a stupid melee dmg multiplier. Alliance had fear ward...

edit:

threat was something people had to worry about, yes... but all worthwhile dps classes had tools to handle that. You only really got fucked if you were out gearing/dps your tank to an obscene margin or the tank kept eating abilities that forced them off the boss. Or maybe you over did your attack optimization and got a lucky string of proccs into proccs for more proccs (sword spec, windfury, thrash blade, hand of justice, etc could procc off each other with no internal cooldown)
    Not true at all. Shamans wouldn't be using windfury, it was for pvp, they would use the other air totem (forgot the name) that also reduced threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangg View Post
    I see so many posts here talking about faction imbalance due to alliance not having bloodlust.

How do people not know this? There is no way someone who played back then can't remember that, even if it's 12 years ago. It was such a big part of the game.
    WF Totems :^)
    Prot Warrior 2004-2008. Hunter 2008-2018.
    Retired boomer.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Am I remembering right that you used to have to farm the feathers - like NPCs didn't sell them?
    Yeah you had to farm specific birds to cast levitate

Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    It was a beta or alpha concept that never got worked out, but also was left in the game somewhat. WF totem, and rockbiter I believe caused huge aggro.

At what point did shaman get tremor totem to break fear (and cc I think) was that tbc?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    It was a beta or alpha concept that never got worked out, but also was left in the game somewhat. WF totem, and rockbiter I believe caused huge aggro.

At what point did shaman get tremor totem to break fear (and cc I think) was that tbc?
    Yea. And Earth or Frost shock. Cant remember which one

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by randprin View Post
    sure they did, our best warrior was soulstoned, went balls to the wall after the 3 sunders until he got aggro, died, rezzed and kept on dpsing

and druids still had combat rez, i believe it was their 31 point resto talent (which is why all druids were resto) EDIT: or was that innervate, i played a dwarf priest in vanilla so...
    I suppose if it works it works, but my guild always saved SS/Brez for actual emergencies and still downed the bosses =P

I don't think Brez was ever a talent, I feel like Innervate (mana regen) was their original 31 point, then it became Swiftmend when innervate went baseline in like 1.10 or something, but I only played druid as an alt. I'll never forget wandering the barrens for an hour to cleanse three kodos for my poison cleanse spell.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    I'm referring to rogues mainly. Can't really compete with a class that was designed to be able to fight constantly and disengage. Warriors? they either held off or died. Warlocks... when you only have 8 debuff slots and half were mandatory for raid performance... you're not bringing a warlock unless they basically take half the class design and throw it away (soul/health stone groupie or summon taxi). Sure they may have gotten some late tier love with ridiculous shadowbolt crits but that wasn't till way later. Mages had their own issues with mana management, people forget that wands were actually a large chunk of some players dmg output cause of going oom (well after they removed the ability to drop combat in a boss fight to eat/drink)
    This is... all wrong. Warriors and rogues both compete for top dog DPS spot. Closely followed by mages, closely followed by locks. Warriors require a lot of gear, so they don't come in strong until around BWL, until then yeah rogues are king. Thing with warlocks was DoTs were shit even if you were full Aff, you usually ran Shadow mastery/Ruin spec which focused on spamming shadow bolts and keeping up either Curse of Elements or Curse of shadows. As for mages and mana, every mage should have specced for Evocate, and back in Vanilla you could chain chug potions in combat, so you basically did that. There's a reason Rogue/Warrior/Mage are the highest played classes on every private server.

Quote Originally Posted by randprin View Post
    sure they did, our best warrior was soulstoned, went balls to the wall after the 3 sunders until he got aggro, died, rezzed and kept on dpsing

and druids still had combat rez, i believe it was their 31 point resto talent (which is why all druids were resto) EDIT: or was that innervate, i played a dwarf priest in vanilla so...
    Technically everyone (at the cutting edge) had a battle rez. In order to be the "best" you leveled a warlock alt to 30 (or whatever level you got soulstone at), parked them at the entrance to your raid and soulstoned yourself/someone else. Obviously this is more complicated with paid live accounts (compared to free private servers), but was, is, and probably will be done (unless changed).

Just one of the many things that should not exist on official vanilla servers. No one (in their sane mind), thinks that having to level a warlock to 30 in order to perform optimally is what made vanilla great. It is not black and white folks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fear Ward is why my main on the classic server will be a dwarf priest. Hello, guaranteed raid spots.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by Dangg View Post
    I see so many posts here talking about faction imbalance due to alliance not having bloodlust.

How do people not know this? There is no way someone who played back then can't remember that, even if it's 12 years ago. It was such a big part of the game.
    Dude I don't even remember what I had for lunch yesterday. You expect someone to remember a spell in a video game 12 years ago. I would even bet you didn't remember, you just looked it up.

Quote Originally Posted by lightspark View Post
    Eh? No, you just had to have someone w/ res who wasn't in combat so he could run around and res people w/o issues.

Back in the day bosses didn't force everyone in zone in combat, so you could stay out of combat as long as you didn't touch anything but dead players. You basically went full afk till you had to res someone, and after that you just had to run away to hide somewhere and afk again.
    They implemented zone wide combat state with AQ.

Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    After Dire Maul patch, tremor totem could break fear, sleep (hello nightmare dragons) and the heart CC from the succubus.

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    They implemented zone wide combat state with AQ.
    Well, I stopped playing WoW by that time (started again in 2.0.3), but my statement still holds true for the most part of Vanilla (2 out of 3 years), so...

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Am I remembering right that you used to have to farm the feathers - like NPCs didn't sell them?
    Yup, had to go kill vultures in westfall, lol. As a priest in vanilla though I never had a shortage of ppl willing to help me farm them in hopes that I'd heal their next strat or brd run xD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    Yes, they are called totems. They were group based and sucked balls when you had more than 5 players in your raid
    rofl - WF totem says hi - and considering combat swords rogues / fury warriors make up half the legit DPS specs in Vanilla

Not to mention twisting, good shaman would twist WF w/ GoA.

Clearly you didn't play horde.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Florena Emberlin View Post
    Wasn't alliance BETTER suited to pve back in vanilla anyway, bloodlust or no?
    Alliance are more suited to group play in both PvE and PvP, by quite a fair degree.

Anyone remotely "tryhard" about classic servers will be rolling as Alliance. In fact a further 'emergent' problem with their PvP servers will be that unless they "bribe" some of the hardcore to roll horde it will be laughably one-sided.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Winterstrife View Post
    Also, no battle res, so if you fucked up, have fun afking the entire boss fight.
    except paladins only job was to stand out of combat and ress people