Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post
    Nope, they havent said anything about that yet. Doubt it will be free though :P
    Don't think it will be free, but i could see it being included in the your current subscription. Hopefully the actualy base game is free to those who already own WoW :P

Deleted
    I wonder if we will be able to transfer our characters off these vanilla servers. There's a bunch of items you can't get anymore these days like papal fez and chromatic sword I'd like to have. With vanilla servers I might finally get a shot at farming these again.

Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    and the community (which is what people really remember so fondly) isn't going to magically return, namely because people could still make those connections today, they choose to be lazy and not make them though.
    I mean I play on a private server and I can tell you the old school feel of community is deff there. Everyone takes the path of least resistance. In live wow that is using LFG and just doing the run without talking to people, in pre LFG the best way to find groups is to just play a lot and make tons of friends so that you can always ask people to help with your dungeon or always have people asking you to do dungeons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zoned View Post
    This reminds of a few months ago when I posted that Blizzard will announce legacy servers soon because they know how profitable it would be.
    Guess what happened next
    Yeah, wasted effort. "Lol you think I'm wrong, this reminds me of the time I was right."

You aren't some genius for guessing this was coming, I saw it coming too after the whole Nostalrius thing, so I guess what I say is just as credible in your eyes now that I'm a master guesser just like you? The server will be big for a bit, then slowly erode into a small but stable server, it's not going to be big on Twitch for more than a few weeks and maybe when big raids drop (Seriously, watching WoW now is boring and there's a lot more going on, you really think people will spend more time watching the slower more drawn out version?), and the only time it might ever have a population larger than retail is right at launch, but no way will it retain for years or even months.

Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post
    Yeah the numbers will be high. But for how long will the streamers keep playing only classic? if they want to provide the viewers with good content they have to commit alot of hours into it, alot. Only those who appreciate classic will be playing it over longer period of time.
    Well this thread isnt saying "classic is taking over live" its about launch numbers. Its truly going to be the video gaming event of the decade, i know that sounds cheesy or whatever but its true, we wont see anything like it again.

Deleted
    Not even close. And even if it will only be for the first few days, many people will realise how different classic wow was in comparison to current and just switch back. Honestly I just think people will play/try it when there is a content gap like right now. Oh, and a majority of WoW players don't watch twitch, did you realise that?

Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    I look forward to the wave of complaints about very slow levelling, mob competition (tapping issues) for quests, slow respawn times, etc. etc. etc. before people even reach level 10...
    This..

I have a feeling there's a lot of people in for a rude awakening.

The majority of people that are returning to WoW couldn't care less about those things, they are coming back to relive days past........how do people not understand this lol.

Live WoW isnt going anywhere guys, its just going to take a backseat for a while

Quote Originally Posted by Riistov View Post
    This..

oh yeah, it will be so fun to see how players react. I know what classic will be, so im not bothered. But theres going to be alot of people that will get a surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Riistov View Post
    This..

These kind of people will get the same answer over and over again
    "This how vanilla was / you are not the target audience go play retail" and so they will. Good riddance.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ZOZOGOK View Post
    I wonder if we will be able to transfer our characters off these vanilla servers. There's a bunch of items you can't get anymore these days like papal fez and chromatic sword I'd like to have. With vanilla servers I might finally get a shot at farming these again.
    100% no chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
    Yeah, wasted effort. "Lol you think I'm wrong, this reminds me of the time I was right."
    The server will be big for a bit, then slowly erode into a small but stable server, it's not going to be big on Twitch for more than a few weeks and maybe when big raids drop (Seriously, watching WoW now is boring and there's a lot more going on, you really think people will spend more time watching the slower more drawn out version?), and the only time it might ever have a population larger than retail is right at launch, but no way will it retain for years or even months.
    Damn the hate is real. When it's all said and done and I'm right yet again can we still be friends
    Last edited by zoned; 2017-11-08 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post

You aren't some genius for guessing this was coming, I saw it coming too after the whole Nostalrius thing, so I guess what I say is just as credible in your eyes now that I'm a master guesser just like you? The server will be big for a bit, then slowly erode into a small but stable server, it's not going to be big on Twitch for more than a few weeks and maybe when big raids drop (Seriously, watching WoW now is boring and there's a lot more going on, you really think people will spend more time watching the slower more drawn out version?), and the only time it might ever have a population larger than retail is right at launch, but no way will it retain for years or even months.
    it all depends on how its handled i know personally, whether or not zg is there at the start will heavily depend on me checking it out, if there is content for 20 ppl at cap that resets every 3 days like it did, maybe it'll retain ppl at 60, if its mc and ony farming for 6 months to a year before zg, well gl maintaining an active guild in the interim days. i can see that instance actually being a good way of maintaining activity while forming a 40 man roster possibly even make or break level cap player retention. if not its going to be difficult to maintain interest when you've got like 4-5 days of nothing much to do. i probably wouldn't even bother playing the game if its going to do some sort of roller coaster patch history because reasons thats not going to be fun or interesting at all to me.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2017-11-08 at 07:36 PM.

A very large swell of people followed by eventual tapering off. Then all that will be left will be the ones who truly wanted that experience.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    I have seen so many people that i had no idea even played video games talk/tweet about this its insane. I think this is going to be the largest release blizzard has done in many years, yes even bigger than an expansion release.

My prediction is when this comes out there will be more people playing on classic servers than live, of course i dont expect this to last forever, but for a short period i think this is a very real possibility.
    Short period = 2 minutes login, create char, see how shitty vanilla is, logout.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    it all depends on how its handled i know personally, whether or not zg is there at the start will heavily depend on me checking it out, if there is content for 20 ppl at cap that resets every 3 days like it did, maybe it'll retain ppl at 60, if its mc and ony farming for 6 months to a year before zg, well gl maintaining an active guild in the interim days. i can see that instance actually being a good way of maintaining activity while forming a 40 man roster possibly even make or break level cap player retention. if not its going to be difficult to maintain interest when you've got like 4-5 days of nothing much to do. i probably wouldn't even bother playing the game if its going to do some sort of roller coaster patch history because reasons thats not going to be fun or interesting at all to me.
    If Blizzard does it right they'll do progressive content, even if it's not 100% it would be very easy to lock raids for a certain amount of time. ZG came out after BWL, so it potentially won't be there for awhile. Outside of the super hardcore, it'll probably be a few months before guilds start stepping into MC due to varying leveling speeds anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Einst3in View Post
    Short period = 2 minutes login, create char, see how shitty vanilla is, logout.
    2 minutes is a little short I think. I think on launch they'll have a huge influx of people that will in standard vanilla style, crash the servers (it wouldn't be authentic without the crashes). Once the servers are running smoothly, I don't expect most people will play for more then 2-4 hours before giving up because everything is so slow. "I can't afford a mount so I'm walking everywhere", "Why is it taking me HOURS just to get to level 10?".

Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    but chess is garbage and outdated.
    So you're like a reverse luddite? That's embarrassing.

Some things are timeless.

Quote Originally Posted by Alienshroom View Post
    I bet most people in this thread also thought they would never actually release vanilla servers. The people who think this wont take off are going to be wrong again. Weak
    I've been saying classic servers are inevitable for years and I'm not even a huge advocate for them, I will definitely be playing them though. Classic will almost certainly have a higher population AT LAUNCH, because of a few reasons....

Classic will probably launch in the middle or end of BFA. That said, there will be a lot of burnt out people still playing the game at that time just casually playing between raid times. With the launch of classic people that weren't even all that interested in classic will most likely try out classic even if just out of boredom. On top of that group of people there will be people that regularly play retail that have taken a break in between patches but that are also excited for classic and will add to the group of people already trying out classic. Lastly, there will be the group of diehard classic fans that will be waiting until the day it's released and resub in droves to play classic.

I wouldn't be surprised if sub numbers climbed to 10-12m for the first month or so after classic. After that numbers will steadily decline as people lose interest and new patches for retail are released. Overall I think there will be a huge influx of people playing classic with a healthy player base remaining after the first couple of months and a good chunk of people that will log into classic occasionally.

I see this argument a lot popping up. "It'll be successful at first but, it won't hold up;won't last long;players will leave".
    How long exactly should it hold up? Because the way I see it, no expansion pack holds longer than 1 year with staggered raid releases, some longer, some even shorter.
    Classic WoW is a long journey, starting from the beginning its content will hold people for a very long time. And maybe, just maybe, people will realize that you don't need a definitive version of anything or something that constantly has to evolve. I know, with the internet and constant update cycles it's a hip thing to do but games weren't always this evolving, ever changing entity that they are now. We grew kind of accustomed to this behavior but people also have to understand that different tastes like different stages of the evolution and even though the general popolus or mainstream considers the "newer" things, better, it doesn't mean it's better per se, it's just more consumer-friendly. Classic WoW in this regard is anything but it, classic WoW will drain your time you won't think possible, some will see it as soul-devouring, some will see it as the ultimate RPG immersion.