Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Hypothetically if we had the money to teach 90% of the population to communicate with 10%, wouldn't it be vastly more cost-effective to teach the 10% how to communicate with the 90%?
    Sure. So what? The US doesn't have an official language, and there's nothing wrong with bilingualism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

You don't even know that Mexico and Nicaragua are literally part of North America. Should we hire an interpreter for you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Sure. So what? The US doesn't have an official language, and there's nothing wrong with bilingualism.
    The US may lack an "official" language, but that does not mean that English is not the primary and common language.

We shouldn't be teaching kids X or Y language simply because we allow a portion of population to not learn the nation's common language. The burden is on non-speakers to learn the language, otherwise it just encourages people to not, because they know the majority will be forced to adapt to them.

I have no problem with bilingual-ism for the right reasons. These are not the right reasons. Beyond that, learning Russian, Chinese, German, Japanese or Hindi is likely to get an American much further in life than learning Spanish (which I will point out: half of Latin America doesn't speak, they speak Portuguese).

If your argument boils down to "there are so many of them, we ought to learn their language" why are you not placing that burden on the non-speakers, who are clearly outnumbered, and also in our country?

The argument that Americans ought to learn Spanish because there are lots of Hispanics in America who refuse to learn English astounds me. You could NEVER do that in any other Western Nation. Official language or not.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Hypothetically if we had the money to teach 90% of the population to communicate with 10%, wouldn't it be vastly more cost-effective to teach the 10% how to communicate with the 90%?
    Why not choose to broaden your horizons, and learn to speak other languages for the fun of it.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    That isn't really a problem. Why have you made no attempt to learn Spanish if the working relationship is that critical?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

The US doesn't have an official language. Yes, it matters. People can be important in the US and not speak english. There's no reason we can't expand language teaching to also teach a language spoken by more than 10% of the US population. Except, you know, taxing enough but using it for stupid reasons instead of funding our schools.
    Fixed it for you We tax plenty, but schools are such a small part of our spending it's sad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Why not choose to broaden your horizons, and learn to speak other languages for the fun of it.
    I totally support doing that. The State should encourage people to learn other languages. The State shouldn't mandate the majority learn a minority language because the minority refuses to learn the majority language. But the State isn't really encouraging you to "broaden your horizons" when they suggest you learn another language...but only supply one language to learn (which is the case in many California schools). It's like suggesting you can get your Model-T in any color, as long as it's black. It's called "false choice".
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

I mean, until English has a national language, there's no reason they should be forced to learn English. Even our government offers everything in Spanish, and will offer interpreters if necessary. And no, that doesn't mean English-speaking Americans have to learn Spanish, either - no one has to learn anything. That's kind of the whole point.

Just because they don't speak your language doesn't mean they're not accepting and being part of your culture. Some people have a tough time with languages. Some people just don't want to learn it. But it turns out culture is a whole lot more than what language you speak.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    You don't even know that Mexico and Nicaragua are literally part of North America. Should we hire an interpreter for you?
    You clearly need a comprehension tutor. But seriously, thanks for contributing nothing but your ignorant insults to the conversation.

I totally support doing that. The State should encourage people to learn other languages. The State shouldn't mandate the majority learn a minority language because the minority refuses to learn the majority language. But the State isn't really encouraging you to "broaden your horizons" when they suggest you learn another language...but only supply one language to learn (which is the case in many California schools). It's like suggesting you can get your Model-T in any color, as long as it's black. It's called "false choice".
    The state shouldn't mandate anything like that.The issue is that the person complaining hasn't bothered to fix his own problem, so complaining that others don't cater to you means nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    You clearly need a comprehension tutor. But seriously, thanks for contributing nothing but your ignorant insults to the conversation.
    lol

Posts in defense of some jackass assuming that a person isn't a Real 'Murican cause they don't speak 'Murican. Accuses others of engaging in ignorant insults. Classic.

10+ Year Old Account
    The state shouldn't mandate anything like that.The issue is that the person complaining hasn't bothered to fix his own problem, so complaining that others don't cater to you means nothing.
    I have to deal with a lot of non-english speaking persons in my line of work, but they come from all sorts of language backgrounds. Russian, Ukrainian, Armenian, Iranian, Spanish, Chinese. At some point suggesting that it is a personal problem limited to the individual needing to communicate with these people becomes an untenable argument.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Where does it say that?
    Since when in America does it have to say anything.. anywhere... for it to be so. The rich merely have to desire it.

I have to deal with a lot of non-english speaking persons in my line of work, but they come from all sorts of language backgrounds. Russian, Ukrainian, Armenian, Iranian, Spanish, Chinese. At some point suggesting that it is a personal problem limited to the individual needing to communicate with these people becomes an untenable argument.
    Don't get pissed if people don't speak your language, if you haven't attempted to speak theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    lol

Posts in defense of some jackass assuming that a person isn't a Real 'Murican cause they don't speak 'Murican. Accuses others of engaging in ignorant insults. Classic.
    He at least made valid points. The point you made is that you didn't read the first sentence of his post. You are by definition, ignorant, and by definition, insulting him. I don't understand why you don't understand. If I say "classic," does that mean I won? Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    He at least made valid points. The point you made is that you didn't read the first sentence of his post. You are by definition, ignorant, and by definition, insulting him. I don't understand why you don't understand. If I say "classic," does that mean I won? Classic.
    Actually, the OP is, by definition, ignorant. Why aren't you jumping on him?

Actually, the OP is, by definition, ignorant. Why aren't you jumping on him?
    Well everyone is ignorant in some regard. It's his opinion that people that live together should be able to communicate by talking. I agree.

I'd be in favor of setting english as our language and then over 30-40-50 years adjust to include spanish

just so this debate can end,

The US doesn't have an official language.
    USA has the official language: English. It is required for every citizen, the laws are published in English, the education and jurisprudence are carried out in English too.

Saying that English is technically not the official language is the biggest "Ackchyually" out there. Like, let's not kid ourselves here.