Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sähäri View Post
    I hope that is their mindset in this.
    I see no reason to change Vanilla to appear more to retail players. Retail ppl have retail and they have a new expansion coming that looks pretty good to my eyes.
    I don't think there are so many things that people want to change to be more like retail, but there are definitely some things that people question about Vanilla. Why did Curse of Elements exclude Nature Resistance? That change alone would make Elemental Shamans at least somewhat viable for raiding. Would changing that one spell be so huge a violation that it just CAN'T be allowed? It's just something that seems like a huge oversight that did nothing to actually benefit WoW classic at all.

I don't want massive class/spec rebalancing, but something as simple as the fact that Ele shaman was useless due to bosses resisting their nature spells all of the time seems like a very easy and simple change that wouldn't kill the spirit of Classic at all. Should ret be a real dps spec? No, I don't think so. It's a hybrid back when hybrids were brought because they could do multiple things at once, but none of them particularly well. They weren't flawed because of an oversight, they were flawed because they were just designed differently.

So keep the spirit, but fix some dreadful oversights, yeah? Seems pretty fair to me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hctaz View Post
    I don't think there are so many things that people want to change to be more like retail, but there are definitely some things that people question about Vanilla. Why did Curse of Elements exclude Nature Resistance? That change alone would make Elemental Shamans at least somewhat viable for raiding. Would changing that one spell be so huge a violation that it just CAN'T be allowed? It's just something that seems like a huge oversight that did nothing to actually benefit WoW classic at all.

I don't want massive class/spec rebalancing, but something as simple as the fact that Ele shaman was useless due to bosses resisting their nature spells all of the time seems like a very easy and simple change that wouldn't kill the spirit of Classic at all. Should ret be a real dps spec? No, I don't think so. It's a hybrid back when hybrids were brought because they could do multiple things at once, but none of them particularly well. They weren't flawed because of an oversight, they were flawed because they were just designed differently.

So keep the spirit, but fix some dreadful oversights, yeah? Seems pretty fair to me.
    I wouldnt mind if they changed curse of elements etc.
    For me the important parts about vanilla are the world, the dungeons, the community, pvp and the raids.
    As long as they dont make any big unnecessary changes im gona play it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sähäri View Post
    I wouldnt mind if they changed curse of elements etc.
    For me the important parts about vanilla are the world, the dungeons, the community, pvp and the raids.
    As long as they dont make any big unnecessary changes im gona play it.
    That's how I feel as well. I don't want them to nerf attunements, or the dungeons/raids. I don't want them to make resistance gear pointless. I want them to keep the bullshit warlock soul shard farming (I planned on actually maining warlock so this isn't coming from somebody who wants others to suffer because I don't have to) and all the other grinds. I just want them to make some small changes to specs that were just completely unviable due to oversights like nature resistance not being on Curse of Elements. Not sure about the debuff limit though... That alone would make a lot of other classes/specs/builds viable in itself but it would inherently change everything drastically.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozler View Post
    What in the actual fuck... Um, no.

Bad idea.

- - - Updated - - -

Because it's very clear that Classic is being relaunched to combat the private servers. The ONLY way Blizzard is going to combat the private servers is to provide a purist environment for that playerbase. Private servers don't offer Classic + new features. It's disingenuous to say, with honesty, that a Classic experience with today's features will succeed. Today's features are the very reason a lot of players want Classic.

That being said, it's hard to take people seriously that come here and say, "Classic needs this or Classic needs that to be successful!" No, it doesn't. It just needs to be plain ol' Classic. Some people are most definitely trolling when they make those posts. We're not actually labeling anything. A troll is a troll, and doesn't require my personal brand to make it that way.

Blizzard may be open to feedback and that's good. But if Classic is introduced in ANY form other than actual Classic WoW, it will fail miserably. The private server crowd will go back to private servers, and the Live bunch will go back to Live. Classic+ would be abandoned, and I think most of us that push for Classic would agree on this point. They may be open to it, but they'd be foolish to implement it.

You can take a classic car and put a modern engine in it, but that car isn't original anymore if you do. It might run better and faster, but the fact stands, it's not the original classic anymore. Anyone seeking to buy an original would stay far, far away from it. That's the best analogy I can make for this.
    And arguing that is fine. I'm just against the angle of 'these people are trolls' which I find just as disingenuous as people that once said things like 'you dn't REALLY want vanilla you're nostalgia blinded' were wrong. I'm not siding with people asking for changes from vanilla just saying people that vouch for them aren't necessarily just trolls out to 'ruin vanilla.' Just different view points. Though I don't see this claim as much now, so I may have just come across a few people doing it in quick succession making it seem more widespread than it was.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    You can take a classic car and put a modern engine in it, but that car isn't original anymore if you do. It might run better and faster, but the fact stands, it's not the original classic anymore. Anyone seeking to buy an original would stay far, far away from it. That's the best analogy I can make for this.
    That is a perfect analogy and impossible to beat one. Thank you good Sir

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RelaZ View Post
    Static forever at 1.12?
    this is what blizzard should do and then just stay on that patch so people in 10 years can still go and see what vanilla feels like

10+ Year Old Account
    I have been reading a lot of shit of the forums, It's so funny all these people saying " Don't touch Classes, We dont new stuff just roll back " Sorry but here's the deal. There IS going to be a class balance, There IS going to be Transmog, There IS going to be PVP balance. I understand you cant wait to get back to facerolling ARMS and ENH 1 shot pvp but its not going to happen ( Thank god ). Be thankful for what you are getting people.
    Remember, A Man may break a Woman's Heart - But a Woman will destroy a Man's life. - SJK @ the #Antiwokenessworld

Quote Originally Posted by melzas View Post
    My idea would be to release classic server the way it originally was, let people relive their memories, both nice and awful things. After couple of months, when people have enough of the "classic" and population starts to decline, leaving only a handful of hardcore players, they should start tweaking it, making it more in line with today's standards, starting with pretty obvious things that I'm sure most of "purist" wouldn't mind, like class balance and relevence.
    Please keep your "balance and relevance" on retail servers. Classic has plenty balance and relevance, it's just in a format you don't comprehend, apparantly.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    And which one is that.
    Both will make that claim.

I as someone who didn't see the need, and currently does not have interest in "classic" is of the mind that vanilla is what players should be getting, as that is what was actually asked for.
    People asked for vanilla. Now it's announced, and other people start asking for QoL changes AFTER knowing more about vanilla from streamers and other people telling them how it really was. The stories are coming up and people are legit getting scared cuz they realize that even on paper it sounds like too much for them or they are pissed they won't be able to play ret or arcane or one of the million spec that was not viable at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Nights View Post
    Tbh if they start balancing clasess most ppl who love "original" vanilla will just stay on private servers. And i guess we all agree that big part of blizz decision to bring bk classic was to fight priv servers.
    Not really, I love playing on Lightshope but I still wouldn't mind some buffs to shit Speccs. How can people go "omg, they buffed moonkin!! Next thing is CROSS SERVER LFR GARRISON!"?. I'm fine with both: Pure Vanilla or improved Vanilla (which sticks to what makes Vanilla so great).

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    That's pretty illogical here.
    The people who are going to stay are the ones who are going to be the most purists.
    You're basically saying "wait until the guys who are going to be the most annoyed with changes are the only ones left to implement what is going to annoy them".
    Wut ?
    It's not illogical. Blizzard isn't putting out classic servers as a gesture of good will. If they lose popularity, they will either try to fix that or shut them down. They arent going to maintain them for a group of basement dwellinh no lifers.

It's not illogical. Blizzard isn't putting out classic servers as a gesture of good will. If they lose popularity, they will either try to fix that or shut them down. They arent going to maintain them for a group of basement dwellinh no lifers.
    Ah yeah, people who like Vanilla are "basement dwellers with no life"

Quote Originally Posted by FireVoodoo View Post
    Actually, it is not. Vanilla class philosophy was like this: you got your raiding spec (for which your PvE-sets were designed) and couple of unorthodox specs so to speak, for “other” stuff.

But If you know the game REALLY good it opened you the whole knew level. You could actually collect non-set gear for non-raiding spec and kick ass like no-one. Like you could actually tank or DD as pala. You will not beat equally geared dedicated classes played by pros (2-3% of server population), while the rest... you got the idea.

We got pala tank back in AQ40 Nax and Spriest. Because they wanted it very much and they were extremely dedicated. And believe me they got hell of good time back then. And they both left WoW in BC with 1\3 of my guild.

I mean today all you need is to spend couple of hours on Nost forum to get all the top-notch info about your unorthodox spec to rape the game mercilessly.
    Damn you sound jaded, clamouring for an experience that will never happen again.

How long do you think it will take for Classic guides for everything to be out? 1 month, 2?
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Potato Knight View Post
    It's in Blizzards interest to provide a service that people who play Vanilla on private servers (so fairly authentic to vanilla) will enjoy. They might take suggestions for some things but on the whole they either create something enjoyable by people who want true classic, or their project fails and the hype for classic servers overflows into even more vanilla private servers. :P

This is something Blizzard have to get right and I don't see them making too many concessions beyond very basic QoL improvements like more flight paths, maybe stackable soul stones, etc.
    Yes this sounds about right

But consider this. You can take a classic car and put modern parts in it because the parts from the past are not available or changed over time. While it easy to say I want a 1964 Ford Mustang with everything original you have to understand that SOME changes must be made for 2017 driving. Such as any required safety/emissions requirements, new tires that are safer on roads and even things like newer spark plugs because you just can't get a 1964 spark plug anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daggot Ur View Post
    That is a perfect analogy and impossible to beat one. Thank you good Sir
    Oh yeah? What about my post?

Ah yeah, people who like Vanilla are "basement dwellers with no life"
    I find it hard to believe that people who'd enjoy stale vanilla servers with zero game progress and hardcore gameplay are people with full time jobs and vibrant social lifes.

But I might be wrong on that. What I think I'm right about is that if that group is not big enough, then there will be changes or server shut down (or just next expansion rolled in)

I find it hard to believe that people who'd enjoy stale vanilla servers with zero game progress and hardcore gameplay are people with full time jobs and vibrant social lifes.
    And I find hard that people who can enjoy the retarded shitshow that WoW has become can breath through their nose, too.
    Also, just so you know, many people who played Vanilla had already jobs and life at the time.
    I know it's hard for a small mind to break its bubble of forum hoaxes, but the actual age average was above 20 at the time.

And I find hard that people who can enjoy the retarded shitshow that WoW has become can breath through their nose, too.
    Also, just so you know, many people who played Vanilla had already jobs and life at the time.
    I know it's hard for a small mind to break its bubble of forum hoaxes, but the actual age average was above 20 at the time.
    Wow you sound so butthurt! I don't really care, though, I'm fairly sure thing will turn out the way I forsee them anyway.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I always read that line in regards to what version do you want of that game, and where do they start?

Basically do you want the last patch before 2.0 right from the get go, or do you want rolling content updates on some sort of time scale? If it's the later, is it a one and done type deal, or do you continue to open up another server so people can experience it at a later date if they so choose?

There are advantages to both trains of thought. If you do the patch right before 2.0 though, there are loads of gearing options which would accelerate the process of getting to 'end game' pretty quickly. Rolling progression (every 3-4 months) would be more authentic, but what would be the right pace of going about doing it?

Those are the only real hard questions in my eyes. It's pretty obvious to me you fix all bugs/exploits immediately regardless of when they were patched out. Asking questions about whether or not UBRS should be a 5 or 10 man is pretty silly to me, and largely depends on what kinda system they go with. Remember, early in Vanilla you could do group quests in raid groups if you tagged the mob and left the group prior to the mob/objective being completed. They changed that at a certain point.

All that said if a major point of contention for people is not being able to run through BRD/Strath/Scholo and UBRS in raid groups, I think that's relatively minor. If UBRS is really a fixed size right from the get go, is that really a big deal?

Only other questions is what do you do with UI and visuals in classic? I hope people realize that UI/mods were only primitive for the most part in that era because the player base was worse at making them. So highly advanced mods and UI would likely make it's way back into a vanilla server regardless of what version we are running. Visual wise, assuming no hiccups, I think having modern day visuals in classic wouldn't really do any harm (for the most part). You still have the option to use old character models if you want.

But don't change the classes or rebalance the game. I'm probably not even going to touch vanilla servers, but aren't those two things pretty major pillars about what made vanilla, well, vanilla? I hope people like playing rogues, warriors, hunters (kinda), and mages (only in AQ/Naxx) as DPS options, because nothing else existed except to buff/debuff.

I really dont know where you have the "zero game progress" in a game that basically requires you to play it almost 8 hours a day....
    that "zero progress" is actually a thing that gives you guarantee, that if you only have time to play 1 hour a day due to your "full time jobs and vibrant social lifes", you may actually reach to the T3 Naxx progress you never had time to because TBC rolled in around the time you hit lvl60