Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dr2022 View Post
    My was super scratchy when I first got her. Every time she would scratch anything that is not her scratching post i'd spray her a little. It took sometime, but she got it.

But yeah, cats have different personalities.
    Yeah, this cat wasn't getting it, lol. I think it was because he was basically semi-feral when I got him, was raised by a homeless man and did what he wanted.

My current cat is four and a half months and I have had him for a month. So far all I've had to deal with is cord chewing and excessive meowing, and hiding the cords/no-bite spray + giving him praise/attention/treats when quiet and both behaviors have improved both behaviors dramatically in a short period of time.

Didn't think he'd kick the cord habit (made a thread about it recently) but he's doing so much better, in the span of like 10 days.

But yeah, that was my point essentially--some cats are easier to train than others. I think too often people are like "well the water bottle worked for my cat! What are you doing wrong?" instead of acknowledging that what works for one cat won't be sufficient for another.

It depends on the situation. Declawed cats live normal lives as indoor cats, but can be a death sentence for an outdoor cat.

Getting a cat from a kill shelter and declawing it is better than watching it put to death by the shelter.

I don't know the medical facts of it, but I cannot say I condone that activity. The idea of stripping your cat his/her tools for getting around and defense just makes me feel ill.

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    There are actual health benefits to spaying / nutering your pet. There is no benefit to declawing an animal except to laziness.
    There are some animals out there that are considered un-trainable. Again, I would rather have a cat be declawed than euthanized because of lack of space. If it gives the animal a forever home, I'm all for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    It depends on the situation. Declawed cats live normal lives as indoor cats, but can be a death sentence for an outdoor cat.

Getting a cat from a kill shelter and declawing it is better than watching it put to death by the shelter.
    Exactly and thank you.

Cats are digitigrade animals, meaning they walk on their toes (as opposed to us plantigrade primates that use our entire foot). Declawing requires the removal of the tips of the animal's toes, it's more than just their claw removal, it's partial toe amputation. Cats that lack claws are more likely to bite, compensating for their handicap.

I can honestly not believe it is still legal in some places. Whenever I hear fellow Canadians talk about some third would country as savages, I kindly mention how we declaw cats.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Cats are digitigrade animals, meaning they walk on their toes (as opposed to us plantigrade primates that use our entire foot). Declawing requires the removal of the tips of the animal's toes, it's more than just their claw removal, it's partial toe amputation. Cats that lack claws are more likely to bite, compensating for their handicap.
    Don't forget that their claws are their main source of de-stressing (you know, how they claw your furniture if untrained/you are too dumb to buy them a proper scratcher)

My grandmother has always declawed her cats, but they are all indoor cats, and never are allowed (nor want) to go outside.

I do view it as inhumane, being older now, but I can see why some people do it, even when telling a cat "no" sometimes they are going to do what they want. Cats are, after all, the assholes of pets. I wouldn't declaw mine in the future, but I don't look down on people that do, especially if they are indoor cats.

Please don't reply to my post with a copy paste that has nothing to do with what I said. Your post count isn't important.

Please don't reply to my post with a copy paste that has nothing to do with what I said. Your post count isn't important.
    "Copy paste?" How about basic facts anyone who loves or even just owns a cats should know?

Also:
    Declawed cats live normal lives as indoor cats, but can be a death sentence for an outdoor cat.
    My point being that they don't live like normal indoor cats, they're not normal cats at all, they have literally had their anatomy and behavior modified through amputation.

Should be considered animal cruelty and deemed illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    My grandmother has always declawed her cats, but they are all indoor cats, and never are allowed (nor want) to go outside.

I do view it as inhumane, being older now, but I can see why some people do it, even when telling a cat "no" sometimes they are going to do what they want. Cats are, after all, the assholes of pets. I wouldn't declaw mine in the future, but I don't look down on people that do, especially if they are indoor cats.
    Shouldn't own a cat then IMO. Not going to remove a dog's teeth because he keeps chewing on stuff, it's what dogs do. Train them, get them alternative toys to destroy, or give the animal to someone else.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It isn't removing the claws. The claws grow back. To "declaw" a cat, they remove the first joint on each "finger". It's cruel and inhumane, and if your cat's destroying stuff, learn to train your cat better. I've had cats my whole life, and none have been declawed, and nothing's been clawed to pieces, because I don't let them do that.
    This, same for me. I’ve had many cats, 0 have been declawed, it’s inhumane amputation. Everything has been fine... we got them one of those scratch posts and a big wooly carpet.
    "There is no end to education. It is not that you read a book, pass an examination, and finish with education. The whole of life, from the moment you are born to the moment you die, is a process of learning." by Jiddu Krishnamurti, Philosopher and Educator

If you can't own a cat without it destroying all your stuff, you shouldn't own a cat because you have no idea what you're doing.

There are VERY few exceptions to this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I think most people underestimate how much effort it can take to deter negative behaviors in cats.
    You're not going to take your childs feet off because you underestimate how much effort it can take to deter them from walking away from you in public.

If you can't or won't take the time to be a good owner and spend the necessary time it takes, don't be a fucking pet owner.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It isn't removing the claws. The claws grow back. To "declaw" a cat, they remove the first joint on each "finger". It's cruel and inhumane, and if your cat's destroying stuff, learn to train your cat better. I've had cats my whole life, and none have been declawed, and nothing's been clawed to pieces, because I don't let them do that.
    Yeah, I don't have cats, but I have learned and have been explained it something like this, and yeah, it's a real dick move, similar to cropping tails and ears, getting your pet high or drunk, or dressing then up like little toys or accessories.

I don't own any animals, but I don't think I will ever get over how much people claim they love these animals and do this kind of shit at the same time talking about how they love their pets more than people yaddah yaddah!
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

All you need to do is trim the claws every few weeks. Just get some cat nail clippers and if you do it from a young age the cat will be used to it.

Just don't cut into the pink part of the claw - it's like a human nail, it has quick. Only cut off the curled point.

Declawing is entirely unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by -Nurot View Post
    Some people view it as inhumane, as it would be akin to literally chopping off our fingers at the first knuckle.

Then again we do circumcision without a second thought.
    I wouldn't say that's "without a second thought", it's fairly controversial.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Hmf...a person shouldn't have a cat if s/he thinks declawing it is a thing.

"Copy paste?" How about basic facts anyone who loves or even just owns a cats should know?

Also:

My point being that they don't live like normal indoor cats, they're not normal cats at all, they have literally had their anatomy and behavior modified through amputation.
    You have posted that exact text at least twice in this thread. I can reuse the same argument for things it's not relevant too, if you'd like.

My declawed cats faced no change in behavior before and after, and they did not bite.

Quote Originally Posted by NoRest4Wicked View Post
    So, how does everyone feel about declawing cats?

We just got our cat declawed Monday, and I was actually surprised how many Vets in my area do it. We called 10 of them to check and compare prices, and only one clinic didn't declaw. I had thought it was shunned, but it still seems readily available. Our cat was getting pretty destructive, we had to have a section of our dry wall and base board replaced because she felt it was a good clawing post (even though she has clawing posts to use) and actually clawed a hole in our wall.

The cost was pretty high, around $400, but in the long run we will probably save on replacing items in our house.

I believe it's illegal to do in Europe, right? My mother in law is bringing her cat over from Germany (they are stationed there) to get it declawed here because she can't do it out there.
    I feel sorry for your cat. Declawing is very cruel and outdated practice. Its a lack of proper training or even as simple as buying stratching posts etc. How would you feel if you could never stretch out your limbs again and also run the risk of arthritis/nerve damage.

You can also just clip cats nails with scissors the way humans do. Theres really no need to remove their fingers

It’s pretty horrible thing to do to a pet. Would never do it no matter what. It should be outlawed, everywhere

You have posted that exact text at least twice in this thread. I can reuse the same argument for things it's not relevant too, if you'd like.
    The anatomy of cats and how declawing could be potentially harmful to cats in their movement and their behavior. I'm sorry I have to repeat myself but many here seem uninformed about what declawing entails.

My declawed cats faced no change in behavior before and after, and they did not bite.
    You and a hundred others. I'm sorry but I'll put my faith into people who spend their lives studying and working with cats, people like Jackson Galaxy who specifically deal with cat communication and fixing problem felines over a few anecdotes.

I understand the reasoning that People "Declaw" but anyone who's thinking about doing it, just think how you would feel if someone Clipped off the tips of all your fingers, below your nails.