View Poll Results: Who are You?

Voters
469. This poll is closed
  • You played off. Classic wow, you know what you getting into and you want "pure" Vanilla

207 44.14%
  • You didn't play Classic wow, but you want "pure" Vanilla

44 9.38%
  • You didn't play Classic wow, you want QoL changes/balances

18 3.84%
  • You played off. Classic wow, you want QoL changes/balances

75 15.99%
  • You played off. Classic wow and are not interested in Classic Servers

87 18.55%
  • You've played on a private Classic server, you want "pure" Vanilla

30 6.40%
  • You are not shure

8 1.71%

Thread: Who are You?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    7+ Year Old Account
    I played the vanilla wow back when it launched and through each expansion. I'm quite clear on what was good about it, for me, imho, it is a mix between thinking back nostalgic to the day's when I was 18 and it launched. My life outside the game was great, and all my friends played the game on the same server.
    Mix that with the fact that it was -new- and I got to explore and discover stuff for the first time. Those are parts of what made it great, but I've already experienced it, so I feel no need to go back. Kinda a whole "Been there, done that." situation.

However, this might make my voice not count at all, but I feel that should they ever add Vanilla/Classic back on demand from players, it should be as it were, not a single thing from any era outside of the classic. Like add the realm/server to the last big patch, the Drums of War (1.12) with the crossrealms battleground system. Then leave it there. Lest it won't be "Classic". With that patch and that system, they'll have plenty of stuff to keep their hands full. The endless grind for PvP titles, the plenty of raids, even original Naxxramas and such.
    Ryzen 3600X | MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wi-fi | 16GB G.Skill FlareX 3200MHz | Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT Pulse | EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G3 Gold | NZXT Kraken X62 | 2TB Samsung 860 EVO | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO | 500GB Samsung 970 NVMe M.2 | 3x 27" HP Omen 165Hz 1Ms Latency

I have played vanilla wow and i will at least try the classic server when it launches.

But I really hope they fix all the horrible gamebreaking bugs, exploits and stuff. Also if it is possible i think the improved character models and graphics over all would be awesome to have even in classic. Don't see how that would ruin my classic experience.

No need for class changes, QoL improvements and stuff like that tho imo.

Deleted
    Would be nice if there where a option for played vanilla and private server and still want "Pure" since id assume a hand full of people here have done both

10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't play classic at all, never even on a private server.

I want it 100% how it was. I want the experience. That's the whole point to me. I feel like I missed out on some of the most epic times in this game by not being there from day 1. Obviously I can't recreate that but I can still get the experience from my perspective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    The universe has so many galaxies that even the fucking plot to star wars has a statistical chance to have existed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarhym
    Ghostcrawler called me up last night and he was all like, "hi." And I was like "I'm...

You missed an option there, namely the "you've played on a private Classic server, you want QoL/balancing" option.

i played official classic wow
    I want better graphics and fixation of all the bugs.
    why?
    i loved the community of vanilla, not the 5 minute long looting bugs.

Like I have said in any other thread, I'd love it of they implemented updated visuals like character models, lighting etc. on the classic servers, I have no idea if that could even work and I know it will make alot of the 'purists' angry but personally after playing with the new models I am unable to go back to the old ones for more than 10 minutes before switching back so the old models alone would be enough to deter me from playing classic, even if I really wanted to attempt to recreate my original main character.

Not surprised that "Pure vanilla" is winning by huge margins.

Legion fanboys can take their QOL & Class balance and go back to retail.

Deleted
    This poll will turn out to be inaccurate as shown by the poll on individual changes. People who are leaning towards minimal changes will vote for pure vanilla in this poll, which isn't actually what they want.

I have not played vanilla, I started when BC launched, but I have seen a good amount of footage about vanilla, and I don't want to experience it. It was inbred, unbalanced, and way more tedious than it is now. Current game is not perfect, and I will never claim it to be, but neither was vanilla/classic, and I like the game as it is today, ups and downs both, it shows progression.

With that said, changing classic too much will not make it classic anymore, BUT...for any longevity and potentially drawing in a good amount of people who would actually keep playing it...it needs to have QoL. It cannot stay the broken piece of mess it was back then and have any amount of long-term gain. It will become stale, unenjoyable, with an iron-fisted monopoly judging by the jaded old purists/elitists I'm seeing championing it.

Releasing it as it was will be a mistake. Especially nowadays where we have a lot more prolific internet community, people will look shit up and educate themselves, and they will flock to the OP rogue, or the other 'you must be x class/spec if you want to do y task in any way', while the rest will not exist past just trying to level for fun.

It will never be the same experience as was had over 10 years ago, it simply cannot be, because it has been experienced already. The new baby smell is gone, replaced with experience and readily available information - things people did not have back when it was released. If you really think this can be redone while slapping the same broken mess out, you're high off your ass.

For this to have any amount of good success, it needs QoL changes. But not so much that it cannot be relaunched well. It's possible, but you need to let it go that it can ever be the exact same and be a good experience. We're ALL part of the same playerbase, we should all (for the most part) be able to share the same goddamned game we're playing, regardless of the incarnation.

Mostly I am advocating for balancing the classes and specs, and not making the soul-crushing pvp and reagent grind that needlessly punishing. That's not to say I want them removed, but it must be lessened.

What matters the most to me in this game is the story, and the experience. Story has been a bit shitty in my opinion, but the experience has for the most part been good. I don't think it would be at all if I were to play vanilla as it was 10 years ago. Sure, I can not play it, and tbh, I plan not to, but on the off-chance that it was made livable, I would try it out. There's always a chance that I am wrong in my perception. But I can admit that...it seems the pursists/elitists, cannot.

And that's my 2 cents.

What does "you played off" mean?

Yes I played vanilla. It was really interesting at the time but the innovations since then are undeniable and I'll still mostly play the main servers. I'll be lucky if I can level a character to 60 again just because I remember exactly how grindy it was and none of the content would surprise me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    played the very end of vanilla and want tiny QoF changes. TINY.

The problem is you're not defining what level of QoL changes were talking about.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by greysaber View Post
    played the very end of vanilla and want tiny QoF changes. TINY.
    Agreed, but tiny is defined as? I would like to see TBC QoL implemented. Would that be considering "tiny"? It certainly would seem tiny compared to the changes from vanilla to current.

I've played vanilla. Some changes to the retail game, you think "that makes perfect sense, pity it wasn't always like that."

AoE looting, the min/max range capping on spells like Blizzard, things like that.
    And my God, the old game was ugly compared to today.
    Had to slap a helmet on my main to hide the human male hairlip, but most helmets were hideous too.

Classic should have QoL features like the above--ones that just make the game better.
    It became clear that it wasn’t realistic to try to get the audience back to being more hardcore, as it had been in the past. -- Tom Chilton

Deleted
    I have no option, because I didn't play classic wow and honestly I don't even care about the game itself - I'm going to play the progressing live version all the time. However I chose to vote on "You didn't play Classic wow, but you want "pure" Vanilla" option, because that's what ppl asked for and Blizz announced Classic. Classic was the version w/o any expansions and extras/adjustments/QoL improvements came with expansions later on.

Deleted
    I played Vanilla. I never had so much fun with a videogame and will never have again. Vanilla was an absolute BLAST to play. Would I want to play pure vanilla again? Well, consider this: I was 13y/o back then. I'm 25 now. My whole life has changed. I have changed. I have played many other games meanwhile, including all WoW expansions. Vanilla is still very appealing because it has things that modern-day WoW doesn't have, namely the exploration/travel, the increased challenge and the social side of things. But there are other things that just don't make sense these days. I didn't have responsabilities back then, I do now. I just can't grind away my life anymore, you know? And I just couldn't stand not having at least the option to play with modern graphics, or very minor QoL changes. Seriously, do you really want mounts to take up inventory space, or not being able to loot several mobs at the same time? Is that what makes Vanilla compelling? I don't think so. Which is why people who say "You don't want Vanilla, you want modern-WoW, so go play it" are so misguided. I'd still love to go through Thousand Needles without it being filled with water, or go through UBRS with a 10 people group, or go to Molten Core with 40 people, or play an eternal Alterac Valley, or having to actually travel to a dungeon instead of being teleported instantly, having to team up to do elite quests, having to actually talk to people to keep the group together. Those are the things that made Vanilla WoW great. Not only using Sunder Armor because that was your only useful ability, or dismounting when touching water, or having to farm gold grinding the same mobs over and over again hoping that some thing nice will drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Hewhoknows View Post
    *snip*
    Agreed. The classic feel should be gained from the environments and the larger systems used. Give us talent trees or give us death, as it were.
    * I am very much looking forward to spending my points 1/2 down one tree and cherry pick from another again.
    * I want to roll a survival hunter and need everything because it's all potentially useful to me.
    * I want to feed my pet to keep him happy, and buy blinding powder and lock picks and farm feathers so I can levitate. I want to create weapon chains to avoid being disarmed and whet stones to sharpen my blade.
    * I want to walk into AV, set down my windfury totem, and rock alliance with my two-handed axe.
    * I want to taxi to Thorium Point and ride down to Blackrock Mountain, where I can mind control other players off the summoning platform outside of Molten Core.
    * I want to snag one of the trolls chained up in Blasted Lands and kite him to Stormwind so I can watch him kill guard and player alike.
    * I want to get lost wandering through the paths in Uldaman and Blackrock Depths.
    * I want to quest for my forms, my class mount, and my class weapon, traveling back and forth across the known world to do so.
    * I want to walk into Scarlet Monastery and be praised as Highlord and Ashbringer, then walk out and come back to kill them all for their tabard.
    * I want it to mean something when I'm 60 and wearing my full dungeon 2 set and my Onyxia-Scale cloak.
    * I want to ride on my qiraji tank, my zulian tiger, and my green kodo.

None of what I stated above can't be accomplished by allowing players to see beautiful, 2017+ graphics.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Demithio View Post
    The problem is you're not defining what level of QoL changes were talking about.

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed, but tiny is defined as? I would like to see TBC QoL implemented. Would that be considering "tiny"? It certainly would seem tiny compared to the changes from vanilla to current.
    yeah small things like soulshards stacking, 30 minute hearths, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mushkins View Post
    Since a lot of people here think that some other people don't know what they are getting into,
    I'm asking a question:
    Who are You?

* For now "pure" Vanilla means version 1.1 and 1.12 and everything in between.
    ** off. - official

What we've got so far:

10% of people might actually not know what are they getting into.

12% of people who responsible for all those millions of threads where they ask for tweaks to Vanilla.
    ::Heavy Breathing::

Mushkins, I am your Father

::Heavy Breathing::

80% of the people that voted claimed to play official, I'm not buying it