Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Well, I for one was never a Vanilla purist even though I played it all the way up to the last 3 bosses in naxx before the release of TBC. Nor was I ever one of these people who asked for it to be back. But now that we are getting it back, I want it changed in order for me to have an incentive to play it. Therefore I, like many others, are asking for changes to it that do not affect gameplay. What's wrong with that?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rothion View Post
    Im cool with Mount Tab, Auto loot, Achievement support and optional new models. The key thing people need to understand is that though this is meant to be representative of the "Vanilla Experience" Blizzard can ultimately use this as a platform for innovation and improvement over the current state of the game (especially when it comes to difficulty). I was 11 when I started playing in Vanilla and now im 24 and studying game design (playing WoW on and off in the years between). From that perspective its easier to see why and how Blizzard would make small improvements to the original game (especially given how flawed the original game was).
    I can't imagine why anyone who is sane and isn't being emotional and illogical would want a game to NEVER change. An MMORPG is a game that cannot continue to be successful without change. Just think of it as another patch like the ones prior to 1.12.

There's a whole bunch of stuff in Vanilla that people tend to forget about; Night Elves not being able to use guns, for example.

You've also got Resistance gear, Hit Rating and Weapon Skills, flight paths only going one stop at a time (and only one flight point per zone). Ability ranks, riding skills, mounts only usable at level 40/60, respec costs, separate auction houses per city, reagents, locked doors and keys, tiny bags, and a ton more.

I'd be curious what people would feel about things like these too.
    Last edited by Netherspark; 2017-11-10 at 12:38 AM.

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Updated player models: Yes (but with ability to turn it off for a people who want old ones)
    Account wide mounts: No
    Achievements in general: No
    Account wide achievements: No
    A Mount Tab so the actual mount doesn't take up your bag space: No
    Higher stack sizes for materials (vanilla it was only 20 max for materials): Yes
    Larger bags (back in vanilla 18 slot bags were the highest you could get): No
    Guild banks: No
    Personal Materials bank: No
    Mass auto loot (kill 3 mobs, loot only 1 mob and you get the dropped loot from all 3): Yes (also with option to turn it off )
    LFD: No
    Group builder tool: No

Absolutely no to class balance changes.

Only thing i want that is QoL is when i have the game minimized the icon flashes when i get a /w I honestly don't remember it doing that so if it's already in the game then im fine

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium

Alliance

I'm no purist by any means. I played Vanilla for about three months before BC came out, and then recently on a private server back in January for another couple of months. The slow pace was very relaxed and chill, I liked it a lot. That said, I wouldn't be against some minor changes here and there. I don't think it has to be 100% identical for a very large number of people to enjoy it and get the experience of what it was before. That said, too many changes can definitely hinder the experience. So, let's run down the list...!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    • Updated player models I have no problem with this. I would even go so far as to say updated textures and models in general would be acceptable.
    • Account wide mounts. Feels a bit against the grind aspect of getting things yourself. No thanks.
    • Achievements in general Achievements are fine. People who are actively against them are a bit odd to me, and they're something some will enjoy.
    • Account wide achievements If they're transferring over to live, I can see it, but not from one character to another in Classic.
    • A Mount Tab so the actual mount doesn't take up your bag space Eh, maybe. I'd be more okay with a specific 'mount button' that you can store one mount in.
    • Higher stack sizes for materials (vanilla it was only 20 max for materials) Maybe double? Bag space is something you need to manage too.
    • Larger bags (back in vanilla 18 slot bags were the highest you could get) Sure, but the cost is probably going to be even more than those 18 slotters.
    • Guild banks No problem with this.
    • Personal Materials bank Again, bag space is something you were supposed to manage in my opinion. I would be against additional character slots for bank alts, though.
    • Mass auto loot (kill 3 mobs, loot only 1 mob and you get the dropped loot from all 3) I'm a bit torn on this one. Perhaps if they shrank the radius, I'd be okay with it.
    • LFD The chat channel? Sure, why not.
    • Group builder tool Being able to advertise you're looking for a group, sans teleportation and such? Sure.
    • the list could literally go on and on and on for hundreds of lines, but you get the point
    And that's about it. I don't understand the foaming at the mouth 'VANILLA MUST BE VANILLA ONLY' mentality, and I played it. It's especially perplexing since it seems to be coming from people who were either for OR against it (though I've seen more against), and are being obnoxiously vocal about it for different reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    They never said the game would be "vanilla" the name of the game is World of Warcraft: Classic, which means they could keep the spirit of vanilla but have some of the convenience features that the game has now.

I don't think players are going to get upset that they no longer have to look in their bags to find the ram mount they bought so they can right click it to mount up, but rather all they have to do is go to their mount collection tab and put it on their bar.

Also, 3 second mount cast time vs 1.5 second cast time?
    This is it folks, the end times, where Jaylock has become the reasonable, and the reasonable has become Jaylock...
    I've no idea what to write here.

Quote Originally Posted by Archidamos View Post
    No thank you. If i wanted all the above i would be subbed to play the retail.
    funny thing is you likely will have to be to play classic. blizzard wins regardless.

Tbh, the only change I want is the ability to have horde and alliance chars on the same server.

Deleted
    NO, no changes.

God, I hope there's no changes. People need to be reminded how tedious the game could be back then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    "Necessary" is exactly that. If you don't NEED to change it to run the server, don't.

If the server will run, and I don't mean 'run at x's personal idea of perfect', I mean if the server will start, then stop changing anything else. That's "necessary." There's no other definition of "necessary."
    There is the 'what does Blizzard think is necessary to make money off of this endeavor'.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    God, I hope there's no changes. People need to be reminded how tedious the game could be back then.
    Why do people reply with this? Are you a big fun-killer? Do you not like people enjoying things you don't enjoy? There are plenty of us who remember EXACTLY how tedious and slow-paced the game was, and would be fine playing it as is or with minor changes.

No. I want Vanilla to be Vanilla, no QoL updates, not even 1. I want ppl to see how awful it really was. You want Vanilla, you get Vanilla.

It would be a little silly to not fix things that obviously just suck (mounts in bags) but you're also obviously not going to want to create LFR/LFD either. You just have to watch out for idiots who want things that are a detriment to a classic experience as well as watching out for idiots who want nothing to change even if its a positive for literally everyone involved. Nobody should say no to something that is simply better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    That's not necessary to run the server.
    It is completely necessary to run the server. If Blizzard thinks they're not making money off of it, or they won't be doing so, they will either make changes or shut it down. As much as I love Blizzard, they're a for profit business.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kantoro View Post
    No. I want Vanilla to be Vanilla, no QoL updates, not even 1. I want ppl to see how awful it really was. You want Vanilla, you get Vanilla.
    Again, where does this fun-hating, "people can't enjoy things I don't enjoy" mindset come from? Why are you so upset that they're going to be hiring people to make this a reality? Did Vanilla WoW kick your puppy or burn your house down? Have you become so annoyed by people asking for it over the years that you only wish them pain and misery?

Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    No. Vanilla is vanilla. If you add any of that it is no longer classic wow.
    Exactly - this needs to be Vanilla:

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

What worries me most is that we likely won't get oceanic classic servers. I don't know if I can go back to playing with 400 ping, especially because the spell queuing system didn't exist in classic.

Deleted
    Saw this on the US official forums and I feel compelled to quote it on every stupid thread like this trying to shit on legacy realms.

"You were never the targeted audience for this.
    The majority of the targeted audience is already unsubbed.
    The legacy community despises everything you're asking for.

You want QoLs? Play Legion.
    You want new race models? Play Legion.
    You want transmog? Play Legion.
    You want updated graphics? Guess what? Play Legion.

You already ruined live WoW for the old school player base.
    Don't ruin WoW Classic for us."

Deleted
    No changes.

15+ Year Old Account
    Short answer: no
    Long answer: Jaylock thread, aka bait
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

"Necessary" is exactly that. If you don't NEED to change it to run the server, don't.

If the server will run, and I don't mean 'run at x's personal idea of perfect', I mean if the server will start, then stop changing anything else. That's "necessary." There's no other definition of "necessary."
    Ah. So your idea of perfect. Got it
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis