Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    People get way too emotional about this issue. The whole "How would you like the tips of your fingers to be chopped off?" My answer would be that I'd prefer it to having my balls chopped off. Yet that's what we do to male cats. Animals aren't humans. Cut the bullshit. Do I agree with declawing? No. But the idea that it's animal cruelty is way overblown. People who let their cats outside fully equipped are the true cruel ones. Do they know how many birds their cat has killed? Oh, but that's fine. But god forbid indoor cats are mildly inconvenienced. It's all just anthropomorphizing nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Nekosom View Post
    People get way too emotional about this issue. The whole "How would you like the tips of your fingers to be chopped off?" My answer would be that I'd prefer it to having my balls chopped off. Yet that's what we do to male cats. Animals aren't humans. Cut the bullshit. Do I agree with declawing? No. But the idea that it's animal cruelty is way overblown. People who let their cats outside fully equipped are the true cruel ones. Do they know how many birds their cat has killed? Oh, but that's fine. But god forbid indoor cats are mildly inconvenienced. It's all just anthropomorphizing nonsense.
    But it IS animal cruelty. You are literally handicapping an animal and taking one its most vital tools. Cats use scratching to relieve stress and to mark territory within the house. When you take their claws away you take their ability to properly release stress and a way for them to stake out territory in your house and s cat without territory is an insecure cat and an insecure cat.

I would mention the fact that cats are digitigrade animals and put the most pressure on their toes to walk but I've had to repeat that multiple times in this thread and clearly people don't seem to give a lot about their cat's ability to function like a healthy animal.

'Whataboutism' doesn't exactly help your argument either. Most people against declawing (hopefully) are against letting cats just roam free or are living in Europe or North America where the ecosystem is more accustomed to small felid predators like European wildcats or bobcats.

Also, cat's aren't human, but they're certainly not without emotions. The caudate nucleas is the area of the brain that lights up when we are happy. Studies show that dogs and most likely a vast array if not most mammals experience emotions the same ways humans do. Now are these emotions as complex? No, but regardless the mammalian brain is not so different from ours, it is ours.

Bottom line, if you can't handle a cat or are too cognitively lazy to properly modify its behavior (there are many animal experts that are easily accessible), don't own one. Find a new home for it. It's as simple as that.

its better than being put down in a shelter, but i'd only do it on a very young cat. My cat had it done at the earliest age possible, and has no issues. He is also 100% indoors.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by swisscheese View Post
    Would never do it to my lap warmer, I'm surprised vets still do it
    I really enjoy that you call yours "lap warmer" <3
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post
    Honestly, I was thinking more about rhino horns (when they are cut properly), yes you are correct.
    Yet nobody cares for these poor farm animals being dehorned in brutal inhumane ways, but declawing cats, which happens far less is just evil. I think it's stupid.

But alright, it is how it is.

My cat has feline aids, probably best he's declawed. But I'm too lazy for that nonsense.

Deleted
    If you can't take care of your pets then you should not own pets. Declawing is a barbaric practice that is banned rightfully so where i live.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    You can speak with your cats?
    Seems like a lot of people in this thread, along with the "experts" can. Why single me out?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes get an animal that has claws and then rip them out of their paws so they can be in pain the rest of their life because you don't want your shit to be clawed. If you really have an issue with your animal having fucking claws then you are the problem, not them. Declawing should be illegal.

If you are thinking about doing something like that then I suggest you read up on what it does to your cats after they are removed. It's horrible what happens to them afterwards.

My cat has ripped open my leather couch and burrowed inside of it but you know what? I knew the responsibility I had when getting her.
    I'm not going to make my cat suffer for the rest of her life just because I'm too lazy to clean up a few shredded pieces of paper every now and then and possibly have to replace things that get damaged. Don't get an animal if you are going to cripple them so they won't do what animals do because you're a lazy ass and don't want to deal with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reklia View Post
    I'm totally against it. Up until I read this thread I didn't know they remove part of their toes. The thought of it sickens me. My cats (sadly one is no longer with me) were a destructive bunch when they grew up. Climbing the wallpaper and destroying my bed with their clawing. But as they got older they calmed down. The one I still have now tries to sharpen her claws on the carpet but I'm quick to stop her. She's extremely chilled and very VERY rarely bites, and never scratches (unless she's excited).

You do realise cats are very good at hiding things like this?

And what are we supposed to do with the kittens? Care for them all? Unless you're rich its not possible. People wont be able to afford vet bills for all those kittens and in the end its the animal that will suffer. Should people give them to a shelter? How would they cope if no body neutered their cat? The shelter would overflow with kittens, and in the end the kittens would have to be put down because of no room. I applaud those who take cats from shelters, some I can only assume were kittens from cats not neutered.
    I'm not against neutering your pets. Just pointing out that it's essentially the same as declawing. You're altering the animal to make it a better pet.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by -Gr- View Post
    If you are thinking about doing something like that then I suggest you read up on what it does to your cats after they are removed. It's horrible what happens to them afterwards.
    Lies. The cats are fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    Lies. The cats are fine.

No, they are not fine after having their claws removed. Do some fucking research.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by -Gr- View Post
    No, they are not fine after having their claws removed. Do some fucking research.
    I owned 3 cats with no claws. I did mine. Do yours.

10+ Year Old Account
    Owning cats with no claws doesn't mean shit...If you really do this to your animals then I suggest you get your fingers removed and let us all know how you like it.

Declawing is inhumane and cruel and rightly illegal here.

I just clip my cats claws a bit if they get too long. Did that since he was a kitten and he sits there patiently while I trim his nails a bit.

Neutering your cat is also good for a lot of reasons. Less unwanted litters of kittens and also helps reduce things like cat aids. I had mine neutered as I had not plans on letting him breed. Having the snip is nothing compared to removing the cats claws completey. Compare it to a man getting the snip to stop him having kids and having his toes chopped off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by khalltusk View Post
    Declawing is inhumane and cruel and rightly illegal here.
    Another case of the law becoming a mockery.

If it is proper declawing as in removing parts of their paws to completely remove the claws then I am against it as it can further harm the cats locomotion, but clipping the claws to keep them short is not really all that bad.

Of course you could always get stuff like scratching poles etc. Which could potentially divert the attention away from furniture.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Euron Greyjoy View Post
    Yet nobody cares for these poor farm animals being dehorned in brutal inhumane ways, but declawing cats, which happens far less is just evil. I think it's stupid.

But alright, it is how it is.
    People can be against both, crazy, eh?

- - - Updated - - -

Another case of the law becoming a mockery.
    Ye, how dare people make animal abuse illegal!

- - - Updated - - -

Haha, holy shit, you're actually advocating for other people to abuse their cats.

And they are fine? really? Have you read anything about the research done on this topic?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not against neutering your pets. Just pointing out that it's essentially the same as declawing. You're altering the animal to make it a better pet.

- - - Updated - - -

Lies. The cats are fine.

You think cats like being in heat without an outlet?

- - - Updated - - -

Seems like a lot of people in this thread, along with the "experts" can. Why single me out?
    You're no an expert, and you have done zero research on the subject.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Ye, how dare people make animal abuse illegal!
    Just because you say it's animal abuse, doesn't mean it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    You think cats like being in heat without an outlet?
    Sex and reproduction is what give purpose to life. Much worse to lose that than something like fingernails or Claws.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sex and reproduction is what give purpose to life. Much worse to lose that than something like fingernails or Claws.
    You actually believe cats think about shit like what's the "purpose of life"?

What you are saying is nonsense. Shouldn't be too surprised, though. That has been your MO all this time.
    Last edited by Santti; 2017-11-10 at 12:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't matter if they think about it or not. It's what they were put on the planet to do.