Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    Literally 95% of the Toxic Threads before the Classic announcement were people crying that the game was Shit and they wanted to go back to "old" WoW. Most of these Thread starters were and are active throughout all the Pro-Vanilla Threads.

The Pro-Vanilla/Legacy People are by far the most Toxic on these forums when it comes to WoW Gen Discussion.
    Exactly, and now that classic was announced, instead of being happy, these people bicker over what should and shouldn't change in classic. Talk about a "good community".

Deleted
    Nostalgia or not I think a lot of people are going to get a hard lesson in how misleading memory can be when these servers actually launch...

Look it up yourself, It's even on their Wiki page. On time of Closure they had 150k active monthly users. Nowhere NEAR the 1 Million you claim and that was meant to be the "biggest" Private Server.

What a fucking joke.
    I did. What a fucking joke.

Also, I think it was the biggest WoW vanilla server, but there were a lot of other ones, and if you add them all up, they were collectively WAY bigger than Nostalrius. Nost was definitely biggest as a single server though.

Quote Originally Posted by Raego View Post
    Exactly, and now that classic was announced, instead of being happy, these people bicker over what should and shouldn't change in classic. Talk about a "good community".
    Well, they obviously all want the game-breaking bug fixes. The snags come mostly when it comes to other things. Should they rebalance the specs that were completely useless in vanilla? Like how all hybrids were heal or die, warlocks spammed shadow bolt because mobs could only have 8 debuffs on them, and warriors were the only tanks. Should they have quality of life things ranging from small things like linked auction houses or being able to cross a continent on a flight path in one click, to huge like account bound things or even if it'll be hooked up to battle.net.

This whole thing is like an argument about pizza toppings or favorite ice cream, or some such metaphor. You'll never get two people, let alone a majority, to be happy with whatever decision is made. That was a big part of why I personally didn't think Blizzard would ever go ahead with them, because it would inevitably lead to this can of worms.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Gonna reply to all 3 of you

Quote Originally Posted by Raego View Post
    They aren't yearning for private servers tho, they want classic wow, which is in the past. It hasn't existed ever since TBC came out. Private servers aren't classic wow and neither are they the current iteration of wow.

And that analogy with the fridges doesn't work because even fridges evolved, nostalgic would be someone wanting to use a fridge from the 90s that isn't being made any more.

I too get nostalgic sometimes and play on a wotlk private server, but it doesn't make wotlk the current game version. And if I wanted genuine wotlk servers from blizzard, I know that it would be for the nostalgia. Don't see why someone would get so riled up about a word that defines said behaviour.
    Literally 95% of the Toxic Threads before the Classic announcement were people crying that the game was Shit and they wanted to go back to "old" WoW. Most of these Thread starters were and are active throughout all the Pro-Vanilla Threads.

The Pro-Vanilla/Legacy People are by far the most Toxic on these forums when it comes to WoW Gen Discussion.

The only reason they want classic WoW from Blizzard is because they don't want to endorse and perform software piracy, and they want the service to be run by professionals instead of corrupt russians on the wrong side of the law in the western world.

They yearn for vanilla not because of the game experience, which they have and enjoy already, but because of a legal and moral morass they find themselves in.

Wanting to use a fridge from the 90'ies that isn't being made anymore wouldn't be nostalgic if you were using it and just plain liked it better. I know plenty of people who use fridges made in the 90'ie that aren't being made anymore, because they work and they like them, and do they feel no need to "upgrade" to a newer model. There's no nostalgia involved there, just the same as there's no nostalgia involved in playing a game released in 2004 in 2017 because you just plain like it.

The reason why people get upset about the use of the world nostalgia in this context is because you are saying to them, effectively, that their preference in video games is irrational and stupid, and that they only reason they want it because they can't move on with the times. Not only is it wrong, it is insulting.

Also, how the **** are people being toxic because they're saying they want one thing over another? If you think that's toxic, it's YOU being toxic.

I read the Nostalrius papers as well, and they said ~970M registered accounts, most of them active every month. I dunno where you get the 150k figure from, but whatever. Also, Nost was indeed the largest private server, but there were many others that were almost as big, especially in China and Russia.
    Last edited by Ishayu; 2017-11-10 at 11:26 AM.

it is just nostalgia
    i cant confirm or deny that i played on a vanilla server

and after the first months its OVER.
    the leveling experience, the music and difficult mobs was INCREDIBLE to relive.
    But that is it, screw farming rep and pots for 2+ hours just to do old content, content that some of us not only done it thousand times but A THOUSAND MORE ON A MILLION ALTS on live, granted its easier but the visuals are the same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathpath View Post
    "Its just nostalgia, you're looking at it through rose tinted glasses!"
    The big fallacy of this statement is thinking that having nostalgia for something means that you wouldn't enjoy it again today. When in fact nostalgia can make you enjoy the thing even more when you do it again. For example, I play a lot of games regularly that I played as a kid, and the nostalgia makes them even more fun than they were originally.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Why does this one argument annoy you so much?
    Because you're assuming you know my own mind better than I do. It's insulting, arrogant, rude and patronizing,

"you don't like a seafood pizza because you like seafood pizza, you like seafood pizza because you remeber the first one you had"
    "No I like it because I like it"
    "lol no you don't, you like it because you remember liking it"

You're literally dictating to people what they should feel based on your own opinion / standard. Then you get insulted when we get pissed off with it and tell you where to stick it.

Keep in mind I'm not targeting you specifically here

Deleted
    Vanilla WoW has game mechanics, skills, talents that were removed in current wow

That is a fact and not nostalgia and we want it all back.

Deleted
    Nostalgia gets you to try it again, nostalgia dosent keep you playing

Quote Originally Posted by Ishayu View Post

I read the Nostalrius papers as well, and they said ~970M registered accounts, most of them active every month. I dunno where you get the 150k figure from, but whatever. Also, Nost was indeed the largest private server, but there were many others that were almost as big, especially in China and Russia.
    Linked directly from their own website is this petition to Mike Morhaime (https://www.change.org/p/mike-morhai...iter=522873458) It clearly says:

"it was an amazing journey for all of us, and for the 800,000 players who registered an account, including the 150,000 players who were active."
    Straight from the team at Nostalrius so......

This is a weak statement spouted by a lot of people in the WoW community who argue against vanilla servers. This statement is usually supported by an argument along the lines of "You think you do, but you don't". However they seem to disregard the fact that for the past few years we have had a large chain of vanilla private servers that were massively successful, IE Nostalrius, Kronos, Elysium, and a few others. Thus giving the people who have been advocating for vanilla servers an avenue to fulfill this desire. So what has come of it?

A strengthened and more justified stance for the original desire to play vanilla by vanilla advocating players. Is it the same game as live? No. Does it have the same quality of life changes as live? No. Does it have the same balance? No shit Sherlock. These are some of the reasons why we love it!

So at this point can you still say "Its just nostalgia, you're looking at it through rose tinted glasses!" Even after the past few years of many people playing vanilla private servers?
    Different strokes for different folks. Which one are you?

Deleted
    This is a weak statement spouted by a lot of people in the WoW community who argue against vanilla servers. This statement is usually supported by an argument along the lines of "You think you do, but you don't". However they seem to disregard the fact that for the past few years we have had a large chain of vanilla private servers that were massively successful, IE Nostalrius, Kronos, Elysium, and a few others. Thus giving the people who have been advocating for vanilla servers an avenue to fulfill this desire. So what has come of it?

A strengthened and more justified stance for the original desire to play vanilla by vanilla advocating players. Is it the same game as live? No. Does it have the same quality of life changes as live? No. Does it have the same balance? No shit Sherlock. These are some of the reasons why we love it!

So at this point can you still say "Its just nostalgia, you're looking at it through rose tinted glasses!" Even after the past few years of many people playing vanilla private servers?
    1)Private servers are free. Major factor.

2)Private servers are fun, because you have your own playground(if you know the right people aka admins, you will get a deal out of it).

3)It attracts the "wierd" people. Most of the people who played private, was NOT from orignal Vanilla(poll and what not proves it). It comes from some streamer such as Kungen wanking to Vanilla(who what his spotlight in Vanilla), gets to the audience. That created #4:

4)Vanilla is NOT a game. Its a bashword against Blizz and retail(doesnt matter if you actually played Vanilla or not). Seen from a players perspective, its just nostalgia. Its like looking back in life when you were 17 and had other responsabilities.
    Last edited by mmocd6fe3ee806; 2017-11-10 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bugsix View Post
    Vanilla WoW has game mechanics, skills, talents that were removed in current wow

That is a fact and not nostalgia and we want it all back.
    Certainly it had more interesting talents.... although most were required or just pointless "filler" talents so there were few "REAL choices. Still it did give the possibility to make terrible builds - or sub-optimal builds that were actually useful as it allowed you to do two things.. "good enough" instead of one thing "great". Although I admit they the talents were not really great in the main - I miss having them.

As for mechanics..... Not sure I agree with that. Almost everything in vanilla had FAR less mechanics to deal with. Of course, as most characters were so much less than optimal - dealing with even that one mechanic was not so trivial. In some cases dealing with a mechanic didn't require as much an improvement in skill... but rather more grinding for the correct resist gear etc.

However I am not saying that more grindy is worse or better - its just different. Some enjoy getting stuff that they know they have ground out for a long time and have a real sense of achievement for that - cool - happy for them in that. Some HATE anything grindy. Different things for different people.

this thread is cracking me up, OP is so entitled I can't shake that he is 17 years old..

Listen, Blizzard is making an attempt at REMAKING Classic world of warcraft (the way they see fit) for you guys that are so stuck in the past you want to play an out dated 16 year old game on new PC's - your demands will not be met, they will be catering to the masses and they will be successful whether you want to go on forums crying or purchase a case of Mountain Dew and enjoy your time online playing what they create...

IF NOT, go find a private serverr, good lord - annoying as piss the bunch of cry babies online, be happy they finally announced that they are going to give it a shot ffs - if world of warcraft or online gaming is not fun for you, go on outside and take a deep breath of real fresh air lol

/vent
    "We will not compromise our standards to release a title before it is ready."
    WoW T.W.O ( The Wars Over )

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishayu View Post
    Gonna reply to all 3 of you

The only reason they want classic WoW from Blizzard is because they don't want to endorse and perform software piracy, and they want the service to be run by professionals instead of corrupt russians on the wrong side of the law in the western world.

They yearn for vanilla not because of the game experience, which they have and enjoy already, but because of a legal and moral morass they find themselves in.

Wanting to use a fridge from the 90'ies that isn't being made anymore wouldn't be nostalgic if you were using it and just plain liked it better. I know plenty of people who use fridges made in the 90'ie that aren't being made anymore, because they work and they like them, and do they feel no need to "upgrade" to a newer model. There's no nostalgia involved there, just the same as there's no nostalgia involved in playing a game released in 2004 in 2017 because you just plain like it.

The reason why people get upset about the use of the world nostalgia in this context is because you are saying to them, effectively, that their preference in video games is irrational and stupid, and that they only reason they want it because they can't move on with the times. Not only is it wrong, it is insulting.

Also, how the **** are people being toxic because they're saying they want one thing over another? If you think that's toxic, it's YOU being toxic.

If people get insulted by the actual definition of their behaviour that's on them.

Then what would a case of nostalgia be by your definition? Not my fault that I had to work with a faulty analogy you provided. Can't really compare using a fridge with reliving a gaming experience.

And I don't judge anyone for wanting to play vanilla, in fact I'm glad it's being made, so that people who prefer that version can play it. Even I'm gonna try it during content lulls in the main game. But I know personally that I'm gonna play it out of nostalgia for the old game.

The toxicity comes from the way these people argue about changes, not that they want something. Like someone posts that he wants a certain QoL change in vanilla and hordes of hardcore vanilla fans flock in to insult him because he wants that change. That's toxic.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Even if you don't target me specfically, I worded it as a question and offered my opinion that Nostalgia can be positive. I mean, does it matter for what reason somebody likes to play Classic (or does anything else)? Is "because it was a better game" a more valid reason than "Because I want that nostalgia"?

But yeah..I get it...the people who say "It is nostalgia" usually say it in a dismissive way
    Course not, if someone wants to play for nostalgia that is completely fine.

What I generally mean is the avg person stereotyping everyone who wants to play Vanilla doing so for nostalgia reasons. It's simply not the case and as I say its extremely arrogant and patronizing.

Deleted
    What Vanilla is:

A game created when you were 3 years old(maybe I was raiding with your mom and im just 32). That was Vanilla.

Its old as sh!t, its outdated. Its in peoples head, not in the game.

Deleted
    Honestly the shit-flinging surrounding this is just atrocious. It's almost as bad as the whole flying argument.

MMO Champ has always been bad for bickering and flaming, but you're all reaching new levels of toxicity with the hate and division surrounding Vanilla servers. Just live and let live. We don't know what we're in for yet and Blizzard can never hope to please 100% of the community.

If it's what people want, they will play it. If it isn't, private servers will continue to thrive. The whole argument is pointless at this moment in time.

Quote Originally Posted by sarethen View Post
    Honestly the shit-flinging surrounding this is just atrocious. It's almost as bad as the whole flying argument.

MMO Champ has always been bad for bickering and flaming, but you're all reaching new levels of toxicity with the hate and division surrounding Vanilla servers. Just live and let live. We don't know what we're in for yet and Blizzard can never hope to please 100% of the community.

If it's what people want, they will play it. If it isn't, private servers will continue to thrive. The whole argument is pointless at this moment in time.
    TBH I've not really noticed that much toxicity - people just have strong opinions on some subjects.