Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Italy bans ALL animals in circuses

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/...-animal-circus
    ITALY has voted to ban all animals in circuses and traveling shows in a landmark move applauded by animal rights campaigners.

Rules on how Italy will implement phasing out all animals used in circuses will be set out within one year by a Ministerial decree.

There are 100 circuses in Italy and an average of 2,000 animals forced to perform in shows across the mediterranean nation.

Animal Defenders International (ADI), a leading non-profit animal welfare organisation, has hailed the decision as a major breakthrough.

Jan Creamer, ADI President, said: “Travelling from place to place, week after week, using temporary collapsible cages and pens, circuses simply cannot provide for the needs of the animals.

"Through ADI’s undercover investigations we have shown the violence and abuse that is used to force these animals to obey and perform tricks. We applaud Italy and urge countries like the UK and the USA to follow this example and end this cruelty.”

In England, the Government has stated that it remains committed to a ban but has given no indication as to when the legislation, drafted and scrutinised back in 2013, will be introduced.

The British Veterinary Association said: “The welfare needs of non-domesticated, wild animals cannot be met within a travelling circus - in terms of housing or being able to express normal behaviour.”

Wales and Scotland are also in talks to ban animals in circuses.

The news comes on the heels of India recently banning the use of wild animals, making Italy the 41st country to pass a national law prohibiting animals in circuses.

In 1998, bears, monkeys, tigers, panthers, and tigers were banned from being forced to perform for entertainment acts in India.

But the use of elephants were banned in 2013, while last week the ban was extended to all wild animals.

Several other countries including Romania, Iran and the Netherlands, as well as a number of US cities such as Los Angeles, New York City, and Portland, Maine have already put introduced legislation that bans the use of wild animals in circuses.
    neat ^^

Now let's ban zoos as well. Good going, Italy.

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    Poes Law .
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Deleted
    That's cool. Meanwhile, in Spain...

Wonder if they make any effort to differentiate humans from other animals in these laws. Would be rather boring to watch a circus of plants and germs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LMuhlen View Post
    Would be rather boring to watch a circus of plants and germs.
    See, you got it right with the first part of that sentence;
    Would be rather boring to watch a circus

Deleted
    oh man but i want to see a monkey riding a little motorcycle smoking a cigar and wearing a cape

Deleted
    Wonder if they make any effort to differentiate humans from other animals in these laws. Would be rather boring to watch a circus of plants and germs.
    Behold! cirque du sunflowers!

And then, a sea of those dancing plastic plants with sunglasses on!

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm fine with this.

I think zoos are okay, if done well. Some animals that are endangered might benefit from zoos. Zoos provide protection, and people coming to see them provide income to continue said protection. It's not an ideal solution, and could be done much better.

Like how China is doing with Pandas. They are no longer categorized as "endangered". They are now "vulnerable". But they have done so by pouring a lot of money to do so. Zoos are partially, or perhaps mostly, a way to fund projects like these. As I said, it's not ideal, but banning zoos might end up hurting them in the long run.

Ban bad zoos. Good zoos are actually very beneficial to the survival of endangered species and got a certain educational value that should probably become a tad more emphasized upon.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    That's cool. Meanwhile, in Spain...
    "Culture".

10+ Year Old Account
    i agree next let's ban all goats.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    oh man but i want to see a monkey riding a little motorcycle smoking a cigar and wearing a cape

Without zoos some animals would be extinct.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    Without zoos some animals would be extinct.
    It's beyond their comprehension.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    i agree next let's ban all goats.
    What's wrong with goats?

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Have sanctuaries and breeding facilities for endangered animals. We don’t need to put them in zoos.
    Then campaign for their funding because in reality they could use the income that they receive for attraction. There are shit zoos and those done rather well.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well good for Italy, Zoos need more regulation and a large amount need to be closed

Have sanctuaries and breeding facilities for endangered animals. We don’t need to put them in zoos.
    Honestly, good zoos are great for animals. A life in a nice, large, well-developed habitat, and plenty of enrichment is often much better than anything that can be expected in the wild. Life in the wild sucks for some animals. Now, there are plenty of crappy zoos that keep animals in small concrete and steel cages where kids scream at them all day. Those should be shut down. Whale shows and stuff like that should be shut down. But good zoos are nice, both for conservation purposes, and for the lives of the animals involved.

10+ Year Old Account
    The animals are bored, fat, stressed and lack mental stimulation. Many of them are animals that travel hundreds of miles a day are now forced to stay in cramped enclosure to be gawked at.

If the species is endangered and in need of human intervention, keep them in some sort of sanctuary where they have more room to roam and breed. These "huge" enclosures zoos claim to have are not big; not to these animals. It's a cage where they get little privacy from the public.
    And who will pay for these sanctuaries?

i would like to see zoos moved towards being massive open sanctuary type places, not banned.

no zoo should be allowed to be compact. they should be like the big zoo we got here in north carolina, it's gigantic. your legs hurt from just seeing not even all of the animal exhibits.