Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Level Scaling needs to have a single change

60-80 should also include Cataclysm zones!

That way lore could make sense again.
    1-60 -> then cataclysm from 60 to 80 along with outland and northrend.

That wouldn't make much sense, considering cataclysm originally was 80-85. It would be scaled down further then it ever was. Either the entire block would have to go to 85, or they just include mop as well for a full 60-90 experience.

But personally I don't mind the 60-80 and 80-90 block, I'll probably just not do any cata zones. Maybe Vashir once, I like that place.

I'd be for that. Flying being required for the zones wouldn't even have to change because flying currently unlocks at 60. 1-60 content is current set in the cataclysm expansion, so playing it first after 1-60 would be the closest thing to a consistent timeline we could play through.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

7+ Year Old Account
    They should really just make TBC, Wrath, Cata and MoP be 60-90. Let me completly ignore Cata and MoP, and let me just have fun in TBC and Wrath
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by phalk View Post

Wouldn't make that much sense for lore, as Outland events and Wrath events happened before that, so it would still make sense to have it higher up together with MoP. It is the cataclysm's fault that Pandaria was found once more.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

As it is right now it goes something like this.

New draenei/blood elf start at the beginning of BC---new death knight start at beginning of Wrath then go back in time--- Outland -------Northrend---------new non/blood elves/draenei-------Cataclysm ------> then the rest.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Wouldn't make that much sense for lore, as Outland events and Wrath events happened before that, so it would still make sense to have it higher up together with MoP. It is the cataclysm's fault that Pandaria was found once more.
    Well, it makes sense because currently levelling and questing goes like this: Cata > TBC > WotLK > (optional) WotLK-era Outland > Cata > MoP > WoD > Legion w/ numerous quests that happen in zones from prev expansions, for Belves and Draenei these things are even more weird.
    Last edited by ls-; 2017-11-10 at 08:54 AM.

All zones should be 1-120 with world quests

The mistake was adding world level scaling to begin with. The problem with leveling is that it is boring. By adding level scaling, you streamline the process of leveling and remove a lot of decision-making. It removes complexity. Leveling is easier. That makes it even more boring. This is a typical example of Blizzard failing to understand its product. The people who demand level scaling are the people who generally don't like leveling to begin with and would prefer it removed. They can't ask for that so they keep asking to make it easier and easier until its pointless. Blizzard got duped and actually added it in. Level scaling will solve nothing. The people who hate leveling will simply move the goalposts and demand that Blizzard make leveling even easier. Next you'll see them probably asking for more bonus XP.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Level Scaling is an illusoin of progress, because level-ups are totally mitigated by all the monsters leveling up.

It should had just one change: make it an option to level in non-level scaled world.

Though, I guess, with yet another item squish it won't matter much, because you won't be seeing much stat increases and upgrades for dozens and dozens of levels...

I could accept level scaling if they said “ok, this will streamline leveling and reduce complexity, and to make up for that we are adding back complexity with new leveling features x y and z”. But they didn’t do that. They just broke leveling more.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by phalk View Post

The lore will never make sense to new players again unless they make a streamlined leveling process that is literally just a "the story so far" type of thing, where you play through each expansion's main story, complete with solo story relevant dungeons/raids.

Making Cataclysm scale down won't mean anything to someone who doesn't even know what it was, when it happened, what order it happened in, etc... And for the people that do know those things, they already know the story so its irrelevant.

The only change it needs is the ability to opt out of that shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferocity View Post
    Level Scaling is an illusoin of progress, because level-ups are totally mitigated by all the monsters leveling up.

It should had just one change: make it an option to level in non-level scaled world.

Though, I guess, with yet another item squish it won't matter much, because you won't be seeing much stat increases and upgrades for dozens and dozens of levels...

It's not an illusion at all. You're still leveling up, working towards unlocking talent tiers, towards ability to acquire new level restricted gear, and you're still progressing towards end game.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    It's not an illusion at all. You're still leveling up, working towards unlocking talent tiers, towards ability to acquire new level restricted gear, and you're still progressing towards end game.
    It is pointless. You just level and get your new talent point. Now leveling is pointless for 15 or so levels. If they really want to do it right they should have the mobs spawning at random levels that are -3 to +3 of your current level. The differences should be greatly noticeable.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    At this point, the story and lore throughout the leveling experience doesn't make much sense. The current expansion really is the 'now' for the entire game. The latest expansion or patch alters old zones as needed.

Moreover, and I realize this is almost heretical to say, but the writing for WoW is absolutely awful. This compounds the already existing problem of 'temporal At this point, another Cataclysm style revamp is sorely needed. It appears they've been quietly working on just that for some time now; I'm expecting the slow introduction of scaled leveling over the course of the next patch(es) and the expansion will also make major changes to much of the old world on a massive scale.

I'd like to see the whole game brought 'current' so that a new player, at level 1, playing for the first time immediately enters Azeroth as it is for the beginning of whatever the current expansion happens to be. Of course, this would require a massive amount of work. Ultimately, I think WoW will either be set aside for a much more modern WoW2 or WoW will undergo some major overhauls during the next couple expansions to bring it in line with more modern gameplay expectations. The NPCs and story will eventually be able to under 'real time' updates. Not sure how this occurs, I'm not a programmer, but they seem the most logical choices from both a gameplay and business standpoint.
    "The nomad's life enthralls me. Its restlessness pursues me: it is as much a part of me as of the sailor. All ports and none are home to him, and all arrivings only a new setting forth" ~ Ella Maillart

Yeah, having some zones in Cata content that you could level in from 60-80 would allow you to level fully in Cataclysm and retain a chronological order to the story. Would be nice.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The mistake was adding world level scaling to begin with. The problem with leveling is that it is boring. By adding level scaling, you streamline the process of leveling and remove a lot of decision-making. It removes complexity. Leveling is easier. That makes it even more boring. This is a typical example of Blizzard failing to understand its product. The people who demand level scaling are the people who generally don't like leveling to begin with and would prefer it removed.

I disagree with your premise. Leveling may be boring to you, but that isn't necessarily true for others. I've got a good number of max levels, and I still level new toons on new servers. Many of these toons never make it.

The problem, for me, is that there is two-fold: it does not allow enough choice in terms of where you level and it takes too long.

I'd personally enjoy leveling if I could really sink into a few zones, and vary those zones across toons. I'd love to do 20 levels in MOP and much fewer for Wrath and BC. Others have suggested they just want to be able to keep leveling while going through a zone's entire storyline.

I'm not sure exactly what the right answer is, but I believe they are moving in the right direction.
    "The nomad's life enthralls me. Its restlessness pursues me: it is as much a part of me as of the sailor. All ports and none are home to him, and all arrivings only a new setting forth" ~ Ella Maillart

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I just hope we finally get Pandaria flying at 80, otherwise most people will do Cata zones , I guarantee.

What are you talking about? Outside of Northrend and Outland, the entire game revolves around the events after the Shattering: 1-60 is Cataclysm content; 80-85 is Cataclysm content. Northrend and Outland, since they're set for events prior to the Shattering, should be completely optional for a new player and/or character. With the introduction of level scaling, due to the lore, a player should BYPASS out-of-date content.