Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    90% of people that play on Private Servers do so because it is Free. I doubt many Private Server players will actually go to Blizzards Servers if it costs them money.
    And 67% of all statistics are made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    90% of people that play on Private Servers do so because it is Free. I doubt many Private Server players will actually go to Blizzards Servers if it costs them money.
    Now, here is an original argument we haven't heard yet.
    Thanks, I'll make a note of this.

Quote Originally Posted by DeleteMyAccountMMOCSUX View Post
    They haven't. This would be the biggest story on the forum if they had.
    He is just guessing and making things up to prop up his argument.
    Blizzard might not have said they will change the addon api. But op is right, the api in vanilla was entirely to open, and it can't stay that way.

You could make rotation bots ingame (or basicly rotation bots.. just spam one button as op said).
    We had healbot where all you had to do was literally click on people that had lost health, and the addon would calculate and choose the best option for you.
    "Everything always changes. The best plan lasts until the first arrow leaves the bow." - Matrim Cauthon

Some truly want and would pay for official Classic. Those who don't, if and when official Classic goes live, have little excuse, and the community doesn't need them. IMO.
    F2P: If you don't think it's worth my money, I don't think it's worth my time.

Quote Originally Posted by globalist View Post
    What does this even mean? Pserver players have been using the ancient 1.12.1 client for ages now, even on the latest Windows....
    It means that the old client codebase wouldn't compile (turning it from code into an executable) on a modern development system. It would use an old build system, an old compiler, an old linker, old libraries, etc. Something built on an antiquated system can be run on a modern system, but code that requires old software to build can rarely just be compiled thirteen years later on a modern system (without even the question of expired licenses, depending on what systems they used back in the day). It would require a lot of fixes, large and small, to even be able to create a new executable.

And they'd need to do that, since proper support (incl. bugfixes, security issues, exploits, etc.) would require building new client executables before you even get started on fixing the problems from that era. (Edit: Which means it's more likely they'll start from the modern client, and work backwards to restrict features not present in Classic, and add anything missing from there.)
    Last edited by Yuyn; 2017-11-10 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by time0ut View Post
    I don't get it. I did come back and join a raiding guild for HFC. The raiding was really good and mythic was very challenging. But the of the game was just garbage.
    Because its now all about end game. Leveling is from the past. Welcome to the future.

And, questing. It's the same "brain dead" questing it has been since 2004. The word faster is the only difference and thats thanks to Heirlooms.
    The change to zone-scaling in next patch will be good. Then it will be even faster to level. Just as we "retail" like it.

I partially agree.

But some of them will migrate to Classic and will be part of the population who will stay after the majority leaves due to how hard things will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuyn View Post
    It means that the old client codebase wouldn't compile (turning it from code into an executable) on a modern development system. It would use an old build system, an old compiler, an old linker, old libraries, etc. Something built on an antiquated system can be run on a modern system, but code that requires old software to build can rarely just be compiled thirteen years later on a modern system (without even the question of expired licenses, depending on what systems they used back in the day). It would require a lot of fixes, large and small, to even be able to create a new executable.

And they'd need to do that, since proper support (incl. bugfixes, security issues, exploits, etc.) would require building new client executables before you even get started on fixing the problems from that era. (Edit: Which means it's more likely they'll start from the modern client, and work backwards to restrict features not present in Classic, and add anything missing from there.)
    And the 1.12.1 executable that has existed since forewer and works on modern OSes, was compiled how exactly? Sorry, sorry but you're not making sense.

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    What did you do exactly ? Exploited addons?
    there was codes in addons during WotLK (something that didn't get fixed until this expansion mind you) that allowed you to generate marks on the ground artificially using the game client. It was used as a way to cheese fights like Sindragosa and phase 2 and 3 of lichking by editing and placing physical world markers and areas for players (and other players) to see giving them a huge advantage in real time combat over players not using the set of addons.

So yeah, if that shit stays for classic enjoy the easiest raiding experience since 6.0 LFR.
    There is absolutely no basis for individual rights to firearms or self defense under any contextual interpretation of the second amendment of the United States Constitution. It defines clearly a militia of which is regulated of the people and arms, for the expressed purpose of protection of the free state. Unwillingness to take in even the most basic and whole context of these laws is exactly the road to anarchy.

I really hope so. Its quite rare that you find a rational objective thinker in a private server reddit or forum.

There are plenty of good players but far too many who think the game is flawless with no experience in the modern game.
    I want these servers to be a reward for the people who have KEPT playing, so there will always be something to do between the two games - not a reward from the loud mouth europeans who trash talk Blizzard at every corner.

Regardless, I expect a lot of people only play Private servers because its free.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blamblam41 View Post
    there was codes in addons during WotLK (something that didn't get fixed until this expansion mind you) that allowed you to generate marks on the ground artificially using the game client. It was used as a way to cheese fights like Sindragosa and phase 2 and 3 of lichking by editing and placing physical world markers and areas for players (and other players) to see giving them a huge advantage in real time combat over players not using the set of addons.

So yeah, if that shit stays for classic enjoy the easiest raiding experience since 6.0 LFR.
    That was added IN wrath though, I'm fairly certain. There has already been people talking about the limits of addons in Classic and AVR / Weak Auras is one that gets brought up all the time. I don't believe these people simply aren't able to figure it out.

I could be wrong though.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Quote Originally Posted by Yuyn View Post

And the 1.12.1 executable that has existed since forewer and works on modern OSes, was compiled how exactly? Sorry, sorry but you're not making sense. I mean, seeing as the already compiled executable can work fine, there's no reason to assume the newly compiled exe won't be able to compile and/or work.

When they made the announcement, they said "Classic Servers". That makes me think that it will built on top of the current engine that WoW uses. I doubt it means anything to us other than possibly the ability to use more up-to-date addons etc. As you can turn off the new models etc off in Legion, I'm willing to bet they would be off (and no way to turn them on).

For all you haters, Legion is without a doubt a better game than vanilla, but it's not more fun. It's not nostalgia. It's not because it's free. It's because the game world feels alive and there's a true sense of community. Let's be honest, Legion is largely a single-player game.

As an aside, I play on a vanilla server. There's been a huge influx of new players since Blizzard made the announcement. All well and good. Except...a lot of these new players act like jerks. People are typically helpful, they party up for kill quests, they heal each other when low or pull too many. They don't tag mobs you're gunning for.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    I don't think that paying 15 dollars a month or whatever it may be will sit well with them for a product that isn't an exact replica of what they're playing now.
    The addon system for example is going to have to be replaced since the classic one is easily exploitable.
    From the looks of the job postings it looks like they're going to recreate classic wow using the modern client kinda like an engine.
    I can say for certain that I personally know people playing (Redacted) right now who are stupid excited over the possibility of realm where they wont get shut down, reset, stolen from, screwed over by the operators.
    Stains on the carpet and stains on the memory
    Songs about happiness murmured in dreams
    When we both of us knew how the end always is...

Personally, I would pay for Classic server, but only if it is a true reconstruction of Classic WoW. I don't need all that garbage from new WoW which caused me to quit the game in first place.

Deleted
    I think they will : )

Quote Originally Posted by Vidget View Post
    Even if they tweak a lot of the systems? Not introduce new stuff but like changing the debuff slot limit to like 40 or something or increase the length of paladin blessings or invert the shift loot so you have to hold shift NOT to auto loot. Stuff like that is totally doable without messing with the game experience or introduce QoL features from other expansions.
    Debuff slot limit was one of the things which kept this game from being DPS-crazed-children-race the WoW is now.

Length of paladin blessings was ok, it kept more depth to gameplay other than press only DPS buttons and race-race-race for those DPS meters.

Leave the loot working as it was. There will be more serious issues with loot anyway, especially in 5-men, I still remember having Lv.10 sword on my Lv.32 warrior and not being able to kill anything of my level in the world because ninjas kept getting those weapon drops from Deadmines and Gnomeregan. But I think it is unfair to ask to change it. Personally, I will ask friends to boost me in low level dungeons or simply multibox boost myself because hunting for some drops was nightmarish.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidget View Post
    Even if they tweak a lot of the systems? Not introduce new stuff but like changing the debuff slot limit to like 40 or something or increase the length of paladin blessings or invert the shift loot so you have to hold shift NOT to auto loot. Stuff like that is totally doable without messing with the game experience or introduce QoL features from other expansions.
    Well, I can only speak for 2 directly and they are both anti-gameplay change like myself. I think that if Shift-clicking bothers you so much you're acting spoiled.

Quote Originally Posted by globalist View Post
    And the 1.12.1 executable that has existed since forewer and works on modern OSes, was compiled how exactly? Sorry, sorry but you're not making sense. I mean, seeing as the already compiled executable can work fine, there's no reason to assume the newly compiled exe won't be able to compile and/or work.
    No, I'm making sense, you just don't understand the subject matter. Toolchains change over time -- and just because they're binary compatible doesn't mean they're source compatible. You often can't build old software on a new toolchain without porting it, but you can (usually) run software built with an old toolchain on a system built against a newer version.

If you've never built an operating system from source, or at least done some work on a major coding project, you'll just have to take my word for it that they'd have to make changes to even create a new executable from the 1.12.1 codebase. It'd be easier and safer to just use the modern client, and work backwards to a Classic experience from there.

I have the clear impression that some people here think that Blizzard will make WoW Classic this way :

1. Build a dedicated team
    2. Transfer patch 1.12.1 on new servers LOLOLOL
    3. ?????
    4. WoW Classic is made !

Seriously, we don’t have technical informations about how they’ll make it, just a few quotes from an interview. Nobody has the final answer yet though it would be great if Blizzard gave us some insight into their plans. They have to solve a huge puzzle. It’s probably going to take them 1 year+ of work and all the headaches. Don’t put too much hope into an «*Exact Same Vanilla Experience*» or you’ll probably be disappointed.

Either way, as a 2004-2006 player, I really love their idea to rez Vanilla. I’m excited to go back to Azeroth even if it’s not 100% authentic. My nostalgia distorted the reality of what that game really was anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd venture it'd be gameplay changes in general. Creating a bastardized Frankenstein version the game that never existed was not the goal of the Nost project. It wasn't what the 250k people signed for on the petition. It wasn't what Kern pleaded with the team for. It isn't an authentic experience that's been promised.