What about "standalone" servers?

If classic servers turn out to be a success, do you think blizz would try a updated "standalone, hardcore" server?

Something like a server running with the current expansion, but:

No CRZ
    No LFG, LFD
    No Transmog
    No Heirlooms
    Return XP requirements to level back to their release versions
    No cross-server anything
    No WoWToken
    etc ...

Would you play such a server? What other restrictions would you want it to have?

10+ Year Old Account
    It would be a huge step in the right direction. Get rid of the stat inflation that trivializes the entire non instanced world and you’d be on to something.
    Last edited by time0ut; 2017-11-10 at 11:06 PM.

Yes, of course!
    And no B.Net integration too. I miss times when I could just level some alts in peace and silence.

Deleted
    Would love something like this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds a lot like pristine servers which were hooted out of the room when they were first brought up. I would prefer the game that way and supported the idea of pristine servers across the whole game at the time but there was a lot of hatred for it.

The bad part of it is that it further fragments the WoW player base.

I didn't think they would ever do vanilla servers but they are so I'm reluctant to say they won't return to the idea of pristine servers but I think they should.

Moderation Note: Moving this to WoW General Discussion because this isn't a classic server thread as such but an alternate version of the current game.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Or, the "hardcore" people can just realize that they're too "hardcore" for WoW and seek their fortune elsewhere?

Classic/Legacy servers? Ok, especially since they'll be worked on by a separate team. But if we start getting servers for every single deluded Average Joe wanting "hardcore" without pursuing it on Live, we'll end up with 50 different iterations of this 1 game rather than the Live one moving forward, and past iterations locked to never progress.

Want hardcore? Classic was apparently the epitome of hardcore game design, knock yourselves out!

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Or, the "hardcore" people can just realize that they're too "hardcore" for WoW and seek their fortune elsewhere?

Classic/Legacy servers? Ok, especially since they'll be worked on by a separate team. But if we start getting servers for every single deluded Average Joe wanting "hardcore" without pursuing it on Live, we'll end up with 50 different iterations of this 1 game rather than the Live one moving forward, and past iterations locked to never progress.
    I don't think it would be particularly difficult for blizzard to create a "ruleset" for their servers, so they can turn a bunch of this stuff on and off as needed. Hell, it'd be cool if one of the rules for a server was something like "low gravity".

There's lots of options for fun things they could do, that wouldn't splinter things up too much. I mean, we have a ton of different servers now, what would it hurt to have a handfull of servers with different rules attached?

Deleted
    We can't tell if Classic WoW will be a succes right now. There are just a lot of cry babies that seem to want a so called ''fixed'' Classic WoW. Then again, some people cry for everything. They get something, but then it's not enough.

If we do get a truelly Classic WoW, then I'm sure it will be a succes. Back in Vanilla we had no choice, we played the game on how they made it. The community during the years kept asking for changes and what not and thus WoW changed over the years. I'ts a mixed community right now. Some like this, others dislike that. This can't be solved. Its with every game the case.

To answer your question, I would love to play on such server.

What other "out there" rules would be fun?

Humans vs Orcs only? (no other playable races)

All races able to be all classes?

"tougher" leveling? (all enemies have additional health and/or abilities)

Permadeath?

Quote Originally Posted by solinari6 View Post
    If classic servers turn out to be a success, do you think blizz would try a updated "standalone, hardcore" server?

Something like a server running with the current expansion, but:

No CRZ
    No LFG, LFD
    No Transmog
    No Heirlooms
    Return XP requirements to level back to their release versions
    No cross-server anything
    No WoWToken
    etc ...

Would you play such a server? What other restrictions would you want it to have?
    Like the game should have been since Day 1.

Quote Originally Posted by time0ut View Post
    Get rid of the stat inflation that trivializes the entire non instanced world and you’d be on to something.
    Gear that changes ilvl based on what instance you're in. Boom.

Legion Tier 1 gear would drop in normal Emerald Nightmare, be no stronger than LFR Nightmare, but go up to its max ilvl in Nightmare and later Legion raids. It'd even go back down when Battle For Azeroth releases, so you'd need to get that new gear to progress through the new expansion.

Bonus points for the ability to lock the level cap finally and being able to skip straight to the current expansion's content upon hitting perma-max level, that should realistically be 100 but wouldnt, even if this did happen.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    The bad part of it is that it further fragments the WoW player base.[/COLOR][/I]
    I agree, they are already having to merge servers due to the declining player base. I don't see them creating new ones to dilute it further.

I think it would also just add more elitism and hostility to the game. "I only play on hardcore servers, go back to your baby server scrub!"

They mentioned Pristine servers a while back. I hope the success of Classic brings it back into attention.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    "Real" Demon Hunters don't work as a class in modern WoW
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Please point out to me the player Demon Hunter who has Meta.

No. There's nothing Blizz can/will do to bring me back to retail. They won't remove pandas, they won't remove multiple raid difficulties, they won't remove all the silly shit they created. Simply making game harder or grindier won't magically make it playable again.

Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    Only separate servers I'd be down for is "flying" and "no flying" servers, so people can fuck right on off to their ground only servers from here on out.
    There wouldn't be anyone playing them, just people on the forums saying they played them.

What other "out there" rules would be fun?

Humans vs Orcs only? (no other playable races)

All races able to be all classes?

"tougher" leveling? (all enemies have additional health and/or abilities)

Permadeath?
    How about a server where all races function like Pandaren, in that you chose your faction at lvl10? Or no factions at all? Or factions that are just like Aldor vs. Scyers, so you still have to pick one or stay neutral and get nowhere, but you CAN change it? I would really like to see how many players a server like this would attract, as the the "let me group across factions!" call is just as old as "gimme vanilla!". Just not as loud.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathasil View Post
    How about a server where all races function like Pandaren, in that you chose your faction at lvl10? Or no factions at all? Or factions that are just like Aldor vs. Scyers, so you still have to pick one or stay neutral and get nowhere, but you CAN change it? I would really like to see how many players a server like this would attract, as the the "let me group across factions!" call is just as old as "gimme vanilla!". Just not as loud.
    I like the idea, but the thought of turning in 10,000 basilisk tails to switch factions makes me cringe

I could see a change where they let you choose whatever starting zone you want, with whatever race. And your alligence is set automatically based on that choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post

Also Fucking why? There's literally nothing wrong with transmog outside of "vanilla".
    Why the fuck would you keep it in. All of the things said so far in this thread like LFD, LFR CRZ are absolutely essential. Without these tools, the game would have died years ago. The last thing we need is a "pristine" server. Fuck that. Play classic if you want "pristine". Let retail be retail. I swear people just want to fuck shit up that the majority of people love and ruin their fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

What you are describing sounds pretty much like the 'pristine' relams thats Blizzard had mentioned a while back during the private server shut down.

I'd expect this to be part of what is now 'classic'.
    There will probably be one mega server and not many small servers, initially, until they see how it pans out..