Beginning of a 5 group pull:
    1) Sap/sheep
    2) Sap/sheep
    3) Pull away from CC
    4) Battle stance - TC
    5) dance to defense stance - Sunder each target once
    6) Sunder kill target remaining and burn
    7) repeat to Sap target, then final kill is sheep target
    You realize you could have just pulled..... and demo shouted to grab aggro. None of that stance dancing needed.

1)sap sheep
    2)sap sheep
    3)demo shout.
    5)sunder target under fire.
    6)rise repeat 5)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eucaliptus View Post
    Remember that Shattered Halls was impossible w/o pala tank.
    No... No it wasn't. I did it all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavan View Post
    If you can't survive a crushing blow (a mechanic that is not in the game anymore), then you'd die on a raid boss quick. (I don't remember 5 man bosses doing this.)
    Of course they did. Crushing blows was, like glancing blows, purely based on a level and weapon/defense skill difference.
    (and that's one of the reason an orange/red mob was not a joke and actually dangerous in Vanilla, contrary to current WoW)

As I heard, only warrior could tank in vanilla. Why was that so?
    In BC, paladins were great tanks, so what was wrong with pallies in vanilla?
    Also, druids?
    As horde warriors were 99% of tanks... a properly geared druid could tank, but was hard to do correctly and lacked taunt. I even ran across a few shaman tanks in 5 mans, yes they had big aggro spells and a shield to block with.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    You realize you could have just pulled..... and demo shouted to grab aggro.
    Demo shout pulling lots of aggro is the case on many private servers but didn't always work that way in classic.
    "Those who dance appear insane to those who can't hear the music." ~~ George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Gavan View Post
    Classic and BC tanking is about TWO things. Threat gen, and surviving crushes. If you can't survive a crushing blow (a mechanic that is not in the game anymore), then you'd die on a raid boss quick. (I don't remember 5 man bosses doing this.) Threat gen was damage + talents, which SOME Druids pulled off that I remember, with some really creative enchants and gear. Horde didn't have Loladins.
    If you took a crushing blow as a warrior, you fucked up. The entire idea of +defence and shield block was to push crushing blows and crits off the table entirely, so the only hits you would ever take were blocked, normal hits.

Deleted
    Paladins are AOE tanks

Warriors are single target tanks

Hunters are lul wat tanks

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haajib View Post
    Paladins are AOE tanks if the Warrior you are running with isnt capable
    Fixed that for you.
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tupimus View Post
    Vael was huge for warriors because of the free rage. It meant even the lower-geared offtanks could do some mean jank. Executes, anyone? I remember it doing absurd numbers if you had rage available, with an anecdotal bit of memory of critting 2k with it at level ~20. It just finished normal mobs in a spectacular fashion.
    lvl 20 what exactly ? Vael the guildbreaker is the 2nd raid boss in BWL, after already very hard first raid boss too, and if u go all out dps as any dps class except rogues/hunters u'd pull aggro from tank no matter what the tank does
    Vael mechanism had only 2 if i remember right, a bomb that kill someone every 10 sec, and the WORST aggro management problem i ever saw in vanilla wow, the bomb can target even ur main tank (and it will probably, since he casts it a lot and the fight stays for 3 min), and shift aggro from the MT to OT alone was insane hard since dps usually outthreat off tank by miles
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    You realize you could have just pulled..... and demo shouted to grab aggro. None of that stance dancing needed.

1)sap sheep
    2)sap sheep
    3)demo shout.
    5)sunder target under fire.
    6)rise repeat 5)

- - - Updated - - -
    Aye, the more I think about it, the more I think I did both at first. But remember the threat gen from Demo Shout got nerfed, I think in 1.6 when they updated the tool tip. I remember there being a bit OMG Nef is impossible argument concerning the AOE trash at the beginning of the fight because of it. Bliz's response was they never intended an ability like that to be that high of threat gen.

If you took a crushing blow as a warrior, you fucked up. The entire idea of +defence and shield block was to push crushing blows and crits off the table entirely, so the only hits you would ever take were blocked, normal hits.
    The point of bringing it up wasn't that Warriors ever took them, it was that Warriors were best suited to avoid them. /sigh
    Once we gathered friends together, drank a ton of Mountain Dew and beer, and role played with paper, pencils, and books.
    Now I log onto MMOs with the same people and we only talk about how hard we PWNed that: Noob, boss, etc.
    I hate modern gaming....

I've not played tank much i did a pala tank in wrath and a DK tank in mop, but this is why I think bc was better, because druids and palas could tank relatively well i mean druids still couldn't tank illidan at first because of the block thing, but they were actually perfectly viable tanks for the majority of the expansion. hell iirc some bosses actually required you to use a pala tank as part of the tactics. like for example Morogrim Tidewalker. a lot of hyjal was better as a pala etc.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2017-11-11 at 01:55 PM.

Deleted
    Well tanking wasn't that big in Vanilla outside of raids. Most "tanks" were just arms/fury or in some rarer cases arms/fury with 10? points in prot and equipped 1h+shield. Sometimes they simply tanked with their 2h - their damage was enough to keep aggro. I remember our warrior tanking even magmadar with his arcanite reaper, no problem

10+ Year Old Account
    I seem to remember using a Druid Tank on one of the ZG bosses that would polymorph people. it might have been Jindo, not 100% sure though
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram View Post
    Well tanking wasn't that big in Vanilla outside of raids. Most "tanks" were just arms/fury or in some rarer cases arms/fury with 10? points in prot and equipped 1h+shield. Sometimes they simply tanked with their 2h - their damage was enough to keep aggro. I remember our warrior tanking even magmadar with his arcanite reaper, no problem
    And how much did you out gear MC when he did that? I guarantee your healers had to have been.

Furthermore, their damage wasn't keep aggro. It helped but Sunder and Revenge were still the primary aggro tools.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    And how much did you out gear MC when he did that? I guarantee your healers had to have been.

Furthermore, their damage wasn't keep aggro. It helped but Sunder and Revenge were still the primary aggro tools.
    Well I cannot force you to believe it. But that's also why people nowadays have a hard times to remember/experience the same with the classic server - order came to chaos over the years and suddenly even vanilla had some very easy paths and rules that denied long leveling, bad rosters, bad talents and most and for all bad gearing (int mages ahoi).

As I heard, only warrior could tank in vanilla. Why was that so?
    In BC, paladins were great tanks, so what was wrong with pallies in vanilla?
    Also, druids?
    Druids weren't really useful for anything beside healing back then, and innervate. We started to become a real class in bc.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vestig3 View Post
    Impossible lol? then you had poor warriors tanking it coz i ran it a lot for that stupid rep and i never had a problem as a warrior.
    I tanked this as bear, when swipe was only 3 targets.. Lacerate mouseover was uber useful.

A couple had the right answer, but so many spam all kinds of silly ideas around..

Protection Warriors was the only spec that was able to negate crushing blows fully.
    They were the only tank with enough threat generation to be able to reliable taunt swap bosses.

Those are the 2 reasons.

Well I cannot force you to believe it. But that's also why people nowadays have a hard times to remember/experience the same with the classic server - order came to chaos over the years and suddenly even vanilla had some very easy paths and rules that denied long leveling, bad rosters, bad talents and most and for all bad gearing (int mages ahoi).
    You can not force me to believe it because I remember what happens when a blue-geared tank slips on keeping Shield Block up. You go splat unless you get lucky.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    You can not force me to believe it because I remember what happens when a blue-geared tank slips on keeping Shield Block up. You go splat unless you get lucky.
    It wasn't green/blue gear. I think he had blue pvp with some t1 stuff or even r13. And it happened on farm... But it's still in my memory obviously because it was not normal. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

It wasn't green/blue gear. I think he had blue pvp with some t1 stuff or even r13. And it happened on farm... But it's still in my memory obviously because it was not normal. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
    So he outgeared it. And the raid also likely outgeared it. That's what farm is. I remembered that a melee hunter tanked Nefarian. Sure you can do it but a fresh(ish) to MC guild is not using Warriors tanking with 2Hers. I never specced prot at all during Vanilla but I was always correctly geared for raid tanking. I was completely avoidance capped when Shield Block was up with as much +hit and +weapon skill as possible.

Long story short: yes, only Warriors could raid tank in Classic. It was the same as Everquest, where Paladins and Shadowknights could sometimes offtank (handle adds), but only took hits from the boss if the main tank went down.