Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    why wouldn't it be?
    why would it be? soldiers going to invade others countries, killing people? why is that to celebrate?

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Dream View Post
    why would it be? soldiers going to invade others countries, killing people? why is that to celebrate?
    When you put it like that, it makes it sound like a good time huh? I miss those post op parties we used to have in country.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    As every year, it warms my heart to see that my cousin served in the Marines, losing his legs in Afghanistan, in service of the right for people to sit around and bitch about him getting a free meal for his service to his country
    Because that war was due to highly suspect reasons and people are bitching about the PR campaign of veterans day than people in his position.
    Now if the mexicans were launching and invasion and he got his legs blown off fighting them back you might have a point.

Quote Originally Posted by NoRest4Wicked View Post
    When you put it like that, it makes it sound like a good time huh? I miss those post op parties we used to have in country.
    Sigh, if only I got to hear the lamentations of the women on veterans day, that would make it all worthwhile!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I don't have a memorial day nor asking for one lol I simply believe if we're going to honour the military do so for deeds not job titles, if we're going to do that then you should have days for other professions that have actually done something worthwhile. Not every veteran is worth respect
    What are you on about? We don't even have a 'Veterans Day' in the UK so why are you getting so triggered?

Deleted
    God Bless The United States of America!

Wooo baby troops!

Quote Originally Posted by Medium9 View Post
    Yeah, thanks for choosing to pursue a carrer in killing and dying, either because of an unreflected blind artifact of your indoctrination or just because you weren't mentally up to an actual trade. At least you tried to get your genes off this world. Thank you.
    Triggered!!!!!!!

Let me guess. You voted for Bernie and still mad he lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    To all my fellow vets, thank you, and may you always has fair winds and following seas!
    Happy Veteran's Day, shipmate. Fair Winds and Following Seas to all my fellow Vets and a Happy Birthday to our naval cousin, the Marine Corps.

Semper Fi!

Deleted
    I'm not even murican.
    Then kindly get lost , alien.

10+ Year Old Account
    While everyone is welcome to their own opinion on war and veterans, this thread is not the place to discuss it. Please post respectfully and constructively.

With that said: Happy Veteran's Day!

Deleted
    Yeah, thanks for choosing to pursue a carrer in killing and dying, either because of an unreflected blind artifact of your indoctrination or just because you weren't mentally up to an actual trade. At least you tried to get your genes off this world. Thank you.

Infracted
    How about those that were in the military and also have an education?

Deleted
    When it's welcome, how come I was infracted for it? I must also have missed the memo where it says that I'm required to be respectful, even towards things I have not a shred of respect for. MMO-C SJWing it up now?

- - - Updated - - -

You can be educated and still be stupid. There are more than enough examples of that.
    You are allowed to think things just not say them. It is like how I will not say you are a useless cunt even though I sure think it.

Deleted
    Ah, so it's the sort of "freedom but not" that all these honorable men and women defend, yes?
    Really think the Military protects privately owned internet forums?

Quote Originally Posted by Mackeyser View Post
    Happy Veteran's Day, shipmate. Fair Winds and Following Seas to all my fellow Vets and a Happy Birthday to our naval cousin, the Marine Corps.

Semper Fi!
    Is it true that the navy is the marines uber driver?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennis View Post
    Same. I don't get why we don't spend more time appreciating aid workers, teachers etc.
    Canada along with a whole bunch of countries celebrates World Teacher's day on October 5th

Can you imagine honestly being against the military and being upset that veterans are getting free or discounted meals? Happy veterans day.

Quote Originally Posted by NoRest4Wicked View Post
    I've always felt awkward when people say "Thank you for your service". What do you say, "Thank you" back? I mean, I didn't join the service for thanks or recognition, but I'm also not a dick to not reply kindly. My wife bought me an Iraqi Veteran hat as a gift about a year ago and guilt trips me into wearing when we are out shopping or something, so I end up getting thanked often enough.
    I feel the same way. I wear my Retired Navy (med ret) NOT because of the thanks I get. I only 1 time in 13 years was thanked in CA. Was a shock to move to FL and over the 9 years I'm thanked constantly and every time, it's off-putting because I have NO IDEA how to respond. I wear it because occasionally I'll meet a fellow vet or a former sailor will shout out, "hey shipmate", and those moments make my day.

I recommend that everyone read Rachel Maddow's book, Drift. It's NOT political. I think Dick Cheney wrote a blurb for the book, so you know it's not some liberal screed, but a really interesting piece of journalism regarding how our country is involved with war and the military and how disconnected most people are now from the military and how it came to be this way.

I knew I felt isolated from society when I got out (didn't help I was bedridden for about 2.5 years after getting out). But meeting other Vets helps.

Also, for those having an issue, PLEASE understand that there's a bit of a pendulum going on.

I remember when I joined up in '91, I had tons of people come up to me and ask me why I'd want to ruin my life. That was real. There was a time from the late 60s to the late 80s or even early 90s where lots of Vets hid or didn't announce they even served. There was no "veteran's preference" in hiring. On the contrary, often Vets were discriminated against.

Has the pendulum swung the other direction? Yeah. And the current political climate won't really see that change too much. But as a society, we hopefully will see some balance.

Moreover, I'd personally be very happy if a lot of the faux patriotism and flag waving were replaced by REAL reforms that actually helped Vets. I mean I never saw a Vet grow legs because people waved a flag or held up a massive flag over a football stadium. (and don't get me started about how often people who say they're patriotic ignore the Federal Regs on flag displays)

I mean...22 Vets commit suicide EVERY DAMN DAY. There are tens of thousands of homeless Vets. Iraq Vets are still fighting for VA benefits for chemical exposure that might have been nerve agents and the VA's mental health situation is grossly underfunded so things like PTSD are in many cases untreated or undertreated.

I appreciate the free meal (although I can't recall ever being well enough to partake. Always seem to be having a bad day on Veteran's Day). I appreciate people actually realizing that there are inherent risks in putting on the uniform and that it's possible to dislike in the extreme our foreign policy (newsflash: Many Vets do as well) while appreciating the people who choose to serve their country in this fashion.

I agree that faux patriotism is a thing. The worst part about it is that it makes it harder to do the real work of supporting Veterans in meaningful ways.

That doesn't mean crapping on Veteran's day, but advocating for Veterans Health all year.

How one deals with the political aspects of our foreign and domestic policy (like selling military equipment to police departments, for example) is really a different topic and rarely do any Vets have any say in that, whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackeyser View Post
    I feel the same way. I wear my Retired Navy (med ret) NOT because of the thanks I get. I only 1 time in 13 years was thanked in CA. Was a shock to move to FL and over the 9 years I'm thanked constantly and every time, it's off-putting because I have NO IDEA how to respond. I wear it because occasionally I'll meet a fellow vet or a former sailor will shout out, "hey shipmate", and those moments make my day.

I recommend that everyone read Rachel Maddow's book, Drift. It's NOT political. I think Dick Cheney wrote a blurb for the book, so you know it's not some liberal screed, but a really interesting piece of journalism regarding how our country is involved with war and the military and how disconnected most people are now from the military and how it came to be this way.

I knew I felt isolated from society when I got out (didn't help I was bedridden for about 2.5 years after getting out). But meeting other Vets helps.

Also, for those having an issue, PLEASE understand that there's a bit of a pendulum going on.

I remember when I joined up in '91, I had tons of people come up to me and ask me why I'd want to ruin my life. That was real. There was a time from the late 60s to the late 80s or even early 90s where lots of Vets hid or didn't announce they even served. There was no "veteran's preference" in hiring. On the contrary, often Vets were discriminated against.

Has the pendulum swung the other direction? Yeah. And the current political climate won't really see that change too much. But as a society, we hopefully will see some balance.

Moreover, I'd personally be very happy if a lot of the faux patriotism and flag waving were replaced by REAL reforms that actually helped Vets. I mean I never saw a Vet grow legs because people waved a flag or held up a massive flag over a football stadium. (and don't get me started about how often people who say they're patriotic ignore the Federal Regs on flag displays)

I mean...22 Vets commit suicide EVERY DAMN DAY. There are tens of thousands of homeless Vets. Iraq Vets are still fighting for VA benefits for chemical exposure that might have been nerve agents and the VA's mental health situation is grossly underfunded so things like PTSD are in many cases untreated or undertreated.

I appreciate the free meal (although I can't recall ever being well enough to partake. Always seem to be having a bad day on Veteran's Day). I appreciate people actually realizing that there are inherent risks in putting on the uniform and that it's possible to dislike in the extreme our foreign policy (newsflash: Many Vets do as well) while appreciating the people who choose to serve their country in this fashion.

I agree that faux patriotism is a thing. The worst part about it is that it makes it harder to do the real work of supporting Veterans in meaningful ways.

That doesn't mean crapping on Veteran's day, but advocating for Veterans Health all year.

How one deals with the political aspects of our foreign and domestic policy (like selling military equipment to police departments, for example) is really a different topic and rarely do any Vets have any say in that, whatsoever.
    I hope today isn't a bad day for you

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Is it true that the navy is the marines uber driver?
    More like designated driver. We drive you to the party, you boogie down and wreck the joint, then we drive you home and the Corpsmen fix you up.

LOL. But yeah. We're often the ride...hehehe.