Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Back in vanilla I was in sub average guild, no where near server 1st. In the 8-10 months Naxx was open before TBC we had Naxx cleared to Patchwork. Today Naxx is going to get destroyed until 4 horseman and the last few encounters will be cleared within a few months. Half of Naxx was very doable by almost everybody. 12 years later Naxx is going to be easy cake with the exception of the last 3 bosses (horseman, Saph, KT).

Deleted
    People keep forgetting that this isn't charity and blizzard will want to make money. Progressive is an option, but is there enough playerbase for wotlk classic? or WOD classic? Will they not get into the same issue a few years down the road when cataclysm is released and all vanilla content is gone?

That means they most likely go for extra content on classic, putting it in maitenance mode won't be viable on the long term.. and they won't keep vanilla open for a few 100 players.. they'll want 10's of thousands or even 100k's.

Having vanilla/tbc/wotlk classic servers operating next to each other won't happen, way too expensive in terms of development & support and server costs. Will also cause the same issue as I mentioned before this.

In other words: expect extra content in classic if you like it or not, blizzard is a company with financial interests first and foremost.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Lol, the amount of 'yay vanilla servers now here's the new stuff/improvements/QoL changes we want' topics is mindblowing.

Oh Blizzard, what fresh hell have you unleashed.
    I mean some of us just wish to go back to a time and rechange the course.... start over and retcon out all the Fan service panda's and timetraveling... go back to the fall of LK and take a game in a different direction as if Deathwing and Panda's and garrosh and all the other shit never happened.

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    er... no shit, Sherlock. Are you JUST thinking of this?
    No, I'm answering a question to the thread title you dumb fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by SwislocK View Post
    Yes, they will see it because nax is mechanically a joke.
    In what way?

You know Naxx in wrath had a lot of bosses outright stripped of abilities to make it easier no?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickynerd View Post
    Okay for starters everything vanilla was tuned like shit, Blizzard set out to rectify the mistake they made with naxx onward.

That being said, naxx is a distant and painful journey away in terms of gearing and raiding, do you really think people are better these days? After lolWoTLK, the go-go's of cata, the implementation of LFR, and LFR-like normal mode? It is hard to keep a mythic team together today at 20 people and those people can barely fumble through the mechanics to get bosses down. In my honest opinion, those people who do world first will still be the one to clear naxx (if they care enough to do it again) and then you will have the 500 more guilds stuck at the bottom still trying to claw their way passed the first few bosses.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe player skill helps with unfair crushing blows.

- - - Updated - - -

Because you played on a Blizz-like server? Top 1% vanilla is still top 1% live. but hey, its easy now.
    Yes the average gamer is much better now adays then way back when wow first came out
    people are not entering pc gaming in their 20's anymore they are entering pc gaming before they are even teenagers, and with much more acsess to these, and with much less worry of the massive lag spikes and framerate drops we had back in vanilla, now on modern computers, players have become FAR more skillfull on average then back then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    My ideas are objectively good

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabled View Post
    I can see them making BC/Wrath servers after enough people get bored with Classic, won't be for a long time, though.
    if the project meets their internal goals, and especially if it exceeds them, then they are going to have a lot of leeway on where to go forward with it - though the most obvious and likely most profitable step is move some servers to BC, etc. A new 60 raid would be a neat 'gift' but I think the days of blizzard making a NEW raid that won't be seen by every player are long over. We want to avoid getting them into participation/completion metrics with new content.

as far as 'when everyone beats naxx' posts (not yours of course), I swear people have no idea what % of players in classic would have cleared naxx even if it had been out for a year, or two, or three. Unless they nerf it or otherwise make sure 'everyone can see all of the content' then most classic players will never set foot in it, period.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Moshrag View Post
    Classic content will keep you busy for along time and then...you can start all over with a new toon
    I think I had figured that you could do 2-3 toons per faction and end up doing all the quests/zones/factions at level (55-60 was repetitive due to winterspring, EPL, and silithius being mostly same stuff for both factions). Unless one is twinking their next leveling character, this provides /played weeks of entertainment, more if you do instances (time sinks).
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticx View Post
    Back in Vanilla the amount of knowledge about the game was a lot less than it is now, so it stands to reason more people will reach Naxx than back in Vanilla, but you're right, most people are going to hit a brick wall, get bored and leave way before ever reaching Naxx... :3
    My predicition is a lot of people who never played classic before or people that are really nostalgic over it will sign up to play and quit by the time they hit level 30 and realise what a drag the levelling was back then. That will leave just the dedicated players at 60 and in the raiding pool and therefor they will probably do better at naxx than people did in vanilla.

Its not like today where you can play super casual and hit max level in a week and be geared for raiding in 2days. I think a lot of people will be in for a shock when they realise how much time had to be spent getting ready for raids.

I think if you want more content after spending months mindlessly grinding a monotonous game to eventually get through naxx, you should re-evaluate your life and the million other better ways there are to spend time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickynerd View Post

Because you played on a Blizz-like server? Top 1% vanilla is still top 1% live. but hey, its easy now.
    What does the second half of this post mean
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

Quote Originally Posted by HordeFanboy View Post
    No changes. Only pure vanilla
    You're not getting pure vanilla, pure vanilla would be having C'thun be unkillable for months and have the legendary neck accidentally drop and be kept by one guy.

You'll get a fixed Vanilla and they'll likely give minor buffs to hybrid classes and use 1.12 mechanics.

i hope they keep things the same, maybe improved graphics but no changes to classes

Quote Originally Posted by Peggle View Post
    My predicition is a lot of people who never played classic before or people that are really nostalgic over it will sign up to play and quit by the time they hit level 30 and realise what a drag the levelling was back then. That will leave just the dedicated players at 60 and in the raiding pool and therefor they will probably do better at naxx than people did in vanilla.

Its not like today where you can play super casual and hit max level in a week and be geared for raiding in 2days. I think a lot of people will be in for a shock when they realise how much time had to be spent getting ready for raids.
    Oh, that will be fun too, having a bigger percentage of players reach Naxx, but purely because only really REALLY hardcore players are on there (The rest having packed it in well before hitting level cap :P ), might actually shatter a few stubborn illusions about how popular hard content is along the way...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Moshots View Post
    I mean some of us just wish to go back to a time and rechange the course.... start over and retcon out all the Fan service panda's and timetraveling... go back to the fall of LK and take a game in a different direction as if Deathwing and Panda's and garrosh and all the other shit never happened.
    Cata was actually a very good expansion, with challenging content (dungeons were properly hard again! I loved healing and tanking them). It was only marred by DS, which was the weakest raid and weakest culmination to an expansion in WoW history. But apart from that, it was pretty fucking good. My only regret is that some of my fav locations got destroyed.

And Pandaria was actually... brace yourself... the pinnacle of WoW. Best expansion in terms of new content (from casual stuff to actual tests of skill, hardest yet), good raids, the last xp when pvp was not absolute shit, unexpected lore and themes, bold decisions (Blizz actually permanently destroyed a whole beloved zone to drive their point home). If you think it was "fan sarvice panda's" (sic) you either never played it or failed to pay attention.

And with WoD they just shit the bed, no disagreement here.

What is it that you would propose to happen in you alt expansion timeline that would be better than Cata and MoP?

If vanillas relaunch is successful and holds a decent active playerbase i would hope they do continue adding content but not rehashes from other xpacks, rather flesh out the huge amount of stuff in vanilla that was basically unfinished. The 2 centaur tribes in Desolace, Ravenholdt, Syndicate al have a basically worthless reputation line. Add something to make them worth it. Alterac mountains and Silithus were (Silithus arguably still is) dead zones, fix that. Do a raid/dungeon for Winterspring etc.

The most important thing is launching as an exact of a copy of vanilla as a base that you can then working closely with the dedicated community to shape it. With a decent amount of time and an understanding for what that community wants i have no doubt they could make more decent content while still maintaining that classic feel.

The problem is all the people wanting them to start with a whole bunch of changes from the get-go. Those people need to go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladar View Post
    The big question I have is will they add new content after 40 man Naxx like a 40 man Karazhan with better loot to keep the progression going or its all going to end with Naxx for eternity.

What was cool about classic is that you had very few guilds finishing all the content before new content was being pushed out. I think after a while when guilds have Naxx on farm they may release a new 40 man raid to keep people progressing.
    You people really just don't fucking get it.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsgrace View Post
    Anything "After Naxx" wouldn't be "Vanilla"
    ^ this

lets start with vanilla.
    then hopefully tbc/wrath.

Maybe one day down the line, if enough ppl prove that vanilla isnt JUST all about 'nostalgia' and that the game systems are something they still wanna play, THEN it'll spark some creativity to do something like a fun server where they'll add extra content.

Or better yet- vanilla will influence retail in a larger way. There's a lot of cool stuff they could come up with. Like, i forgot that mobs used to run away from you when their health was low. That sort of AI flavour stuff can work its way back into the current game (in more fun ways lol) and make dungeons/raids spicier.

Quote Originally Posted by Rurts View Post
    Cata was actually a very good expansion, with challenging content (dungeons were properly hard again! I loved healing and tanking them). It was only marred by DS, which was the weakest raid and weakest culmination to an expansion in WoW history. But apart from that, it was pretty fucking good. My only regret is that some of my fav locations got destroyed.

And Pandaria was actually... brace yourself... the pinnacle of WoW. Best expansion in terms of new content (from casual stuff to actual tests of skill, hardest yet), good raids, the last xp when pvp was not absolute shit, unexpected lore and themes, bold decisions (Blizz actually permanently destroyed a whole beloved zone to drive their point home). If you think it was "fan sarvice panda's" (sic) you either never played it or failed to pay attention.

And with WoD they just shit the bed, no disagreement here.

What is it that you would propose to happen in you alt expansion timeline that would be better than Cata and MoP?
    I mean I did some of my highest US ranked raiding during those times even getting a few top 10 US kills along the way... Firelands and Throne are 2 of the best raids ever made... But the rest was kinda letdowns..

SOO was a decent raid but the 15 months ruined it..
    HOF was awful with multiple broken bosses and a end boss that took 4 healing 10 man and 8 healing 25 man...
    MSV was cleared in hours and had reset kings.
    TOES with the 22 minute boss fight was kinda gay.
    DS was the worst raid ever made in wow.... Guilds literally just stopped raiding because the raid was so bad not even because it was hard just an awful raid with poorly designed bosses.

I mean overall maybe not the worst era of wow but could have been alot better... and without needing the hello kitty panda's and deathwing destroying the land,

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    Yes the average gamer is much better now adays then way back when wow first came out
    people are not entering pc gaming in their 20's anymore they are entering pc gaming before they are even teenagers, and with much more acsess to these, and with much less worry of the massive lag spikes and framerate drops we had back in vanilla, now on modern computers, players have become FAR more skillfull on average then back then.
    Just because raids are more accessible now doesn't make the average better.

I remember vanilla quite well for not having played a pserver at all, but I am curious to see these players get to the end. I mean I think it is silly to talk about naxx before level 60 without leveling roads.

One step at a time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daffan View Post
    What does the second half of this post mean
    Then to now, 1% is 1%, the 99% is still working on it.

The odds of success are still low, even with skill levels on average being higher (so people think) nowadays.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by digichi View Post
    ^ this

lets start with vanilla.
    then hopefully tbc/wrath.

Maybe one day down the line, if enough ppl prove that vanilla isnt JUST all about 'nostalgia' and that the game systems are something they still wanna play, THEN it'll spark some creativity to do something like a fun server where they'll add extra content.

Or better yet- vanilla will influence retail in a larger way. There's a lot of cool stuff they could come up with. Like, i forgot that mobs used to run away from you when their health was low. That sort of AI flavour stuff can work its way back into the current game (in more fun ways lol) and make dungeons/raids spicier.
    Still happens on live, depending on the mob type.
    Disarm now correctly removes the targets’ arms.

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    Î doubt that they will add anything new after naxx. They might add a tbc server if the vanilla one is doing good.